PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Bournemouth

Post-match discussion

Sat, 09 December 2023

Ulsterman

Definitely time for him to go and get back to the Dutch league where he excelled. Just not tactically aware enough, nor flexible, for the Premiership. Can take the older players, drawing huge salaries with him, as well as his signings. David Beckham might take a few of them for his Miami team! More up and coming youth need to be bedded into the team. They can't be any worse than the present guys on big bucks!

Alemar

What happened? I was unable to watch - was in meetings entire day, just returned. How the deck could we lose 0-3 at home to this?

Unam333

Shaw was close to being the worst player on the pitch, continually giving the ball away, outjumped for there second goal.....Or are you taking the p...s?
I am not talking about today's performance, but in general he is one of our best signings post Fergie.

Baneofthegame

Probably our worst game of the season, not a single player really gave a good account of themselves outside of Maguire.

I also don’t understand how we go about our business, Martial wants it to feet so we play crosses in, Hojlund comes on and we stop doing it.

Lentwood

It's hard to blame players for simply being incapable of doing what it is that they're being asked to do.

Case in point, if Bournemouth set-up to play like we do, they would lose 38 games.

Its down to managers to find a way of playing that suits their players. Currently we're playing a system that really does highlight our lack of physicality and pace. That's on EtH.

mu4c_20le

What happened? I was unable to watch - was in meetings entire day, just returned. How the deck could we lose 0-3 at home to this?
Luckhurst tried to sneak in, Ten Hag slapped him and we abandoned the match.

Catalandevil

We have a lot of injuries, but after spending so much money, our squad is still quite poor. The worst thing for me is that we have an squad divided in players that fit different systems.

ETH needs to manage this problem, but it is a problem that he hasn’t created, and he should not be the person owning this problem. Hope a new football structure can be implemented asap to bring the needed changes. The reason why some teams function so well is because they have a plan about how they want to play, and all their decisions are based on this.

As a club, we have rewarded mediocrity over the last years with very lucrative contracts and playing time for players that didn’t deserve it. Big names must be transferred. Contracts shouldn’t be renewed.

Our players seem to be on a mission to get another manager sacked. Some simply are not good enough and some who are, seem intoxicated by the club’s culture.

I would keep ETH, but patience is running over. I am very confused, because in press conferences he says something and then he does exactly the opposite.

Rex Banner

I don't care who you're up against, playing two no.10s in the Premier League is so fecking naïve. We got away with it against Chelsea but clearly that result meant nothing.

If we're gonna persist with playing McTominay further forward, then he either needs to play up front or we need to drop Bruno. It's just not sustainable at all. God knows how Ten Hag thinks it is. Surely he can't think this is how we progress as a team?

Ten Hag was brought in because of his success and style of play at Ajax. But if he's not even going to attempt to implement that style of play here then I don't see the point of him staying. We could've just gone back to Moyes if we wanted to hoof it up to McTominay and hope for the best.

Pjisared

I am not talking about today's performance, but in general he is one of our best signings post Fergie.
Point taken, today though he was shocking, i dont believe he is a centre back, but as you pointed out he has looked good after his injury.
Until today.

supermao

Probably our worst game of the season, not a single player really gave a good account of themselves outside of Maguire.

I also don’t understand how we go about our business, Martial wants it to feet so we play crosses in, Hojlund comes on and we stop doing it.
No idea why we were pumping crosses into the box when Martial obviously is unwilling to make any sort of movement into the box unless he has the ball at his feet.
Maguire was the least shit of a seriously bad bunch, professional pride is non existent and this happens under every manager.
I am not looking forward to another decade of this crap, I do not see it change anytime soon without a total reset.

Alek M

Da manic one
People asking for total reset?

Garnajo, Antony, Regulion, Amrabat, Onana, Hojlund. That’s 6 new players from 2 years ago.

We need a new CB. We need a proper CDM that can defend.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Did you watch Amrabat today? The lad couldn’t pass wind. Yes he does pull off the odd worldie pass but 90% his passes are off target or under hit putting us on the back foot all the time. He is not the answer.
90%! That's not true at all. I thought he has played decent the last two matches. Is he the long term answer. NO. But he is what we have right now.

tjb

This notion that the players didn't try and that they're letting the manager down is one of the most annoying arguments that keep popping up.
What exactly about this game was due to low intensity.

I saw a team huffing and puffing, being caught out due to not having the recovery set up to mitigate the risk of attacking.
Yes, there are weaknesses. I don't think the attackers we started the game with were strong enough to demand that we score goals. Ten Haag should have started Hojlund. His intensity, ability to drive and combine, had the capacity to open up spaces for both himself and the team. His pressing would also have allowed us to keep up the intensity during the game.

Without this, despite constantly attacking, we didn't have the penetration to take advantage of our movement in the build up. Our midfield was actually good and well set up offensively. I think both Bruno and Amrabat actually had good games. People will see Bruno's yellow and contend that, but he was making good passes and providing great options for penetration.

Ten Haag also has to start thinking more about the good of the team imo. Mctominay may have scored against Chelsea, but his lack of involvement hurts our ability to control games in midfield. He doesn't contribute outside of making runs. Again, it was a choice to play him over Mainoo.

My issue with the fanbase stems from their willingness to absolve managers from poor performances whilst blaming the squad, despite the manager actually being responsible for what happens on the pitch. I don't understand how anyone can remove a manager from that, when the bigger picture on the pitch is his job. After games like this, when not in position to reach targets, the manager should be questioned. If the goal is to start playing good consistent football that can challenge for trophies, I don't see how that man being tasked to get the team to that position shouldn't be questioned if he's only done that once this season ( against Chelsea). The team isn't failing him with inconsistency. He's part of the team that is failing us as fans with poor results and poor performances. It annoys me when fans use a win to justify a manager's existance at a job, when the goal is to ensure that the club, not the manager, succeeds. If Ten Haag performs and shows he can get the team to play good, winning football, that would be great. However, its also great if its not him, as long as it happens. The same way we treat players. It's a job, their there to perform, it they don't, it's not our responsibility to drag them to success.

My take on this is that regardless of how good our team is, if we have better players than most of the league, our manager should be able to put together good performances with the players we have. We can then use his good performances to make decisions on who we can attain to make these good performances consistent and produce the type of results that can have us challenging for trophies consistently. I don't for a second think our players aren't good enough to play good football. A lot of teams with far worse players can do it, even without the best results. Ten Haag has consistently struggled with putting out good performances since the start of the season. Due to this, I don't trust that he can put out good performances consistently in England. People are complaining about players, but I don't think Ten Haag has the tactical set up to ensure the consistency we would require, even if we had the best players. I really hope he does, but the performances are indicators that he doesn't. I'm judging his performance in the same way I'd judge Antony's. Antony may not have the best link up with Dalot, but he doesn't perform well enough to suggest that even if he had Dani Alves at rb, he would succeed.

Oranges038

Bournemouth played us superbly. Gave us no space, pressed hard and hit our soft centre on the break With clinical finishing
we never looked like scoring.
and just like that we are back in crisis..
Watched them get dicked by Luton next week at home.

patch1

Players who are a disgrace,Manager who has not got a clue and owners who are taking money out like there was no tomorrow.The whole club is rotten to the core

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I just can't have this. Dicked at home by frigging Bournemouth. That is simply not acceptable. I have been a United supporter and fan for over 60 years. I watched them in what was Division 2, got chased out of Millwall. They were the worst United team I've seen but at least they tried. This lot don't seem to be trying. It must be down to the manager because he is playing players that don't seem to give a shit. And he still keeps picking them. Martial is a disgrace. I'd rather play Hugill or Weatherley. At least they'd run around. I'm just desperately depressed at the moment

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I missed the game. What the feck happened?

Garnacho's Shoelaces

I just can't have this. Dicked at home by frigging Bournemouth. That is simply not acceptable. I have been a United supporter and fan for over 60 years. I watched them in what was Division 2, got chased out of Millwall. They were the worst United team I've seen but at least they tried. This lot don't seem to be trying. It must be down to the manager because he is playing players that don't seem to give a shit. And he still keeps picking them. Martial is a disgrace. I'd rather play Hugill or Weatherley. At least they'd run around. I'm just desperately depressed at the moment
There'll be an adjustment period but we all just have to learn to accept that this is our level now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Well I can tell you what didn't happen. We didn't win.
Was it a collective shit show like at Newcastle or were the goals conceded glaring individual errors? Did we miss any major chances? Was Martial infuriating or all of them? I'm not going to read MEN's game review..

Going by the stats we had 69% possession, 20 attempts to their 10, 10 corners to 4.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Everyone was telling me we 'need to manage young players minutes' in the pre-match thread :lol: Mainoo needs to be on that pitch.

gaffs

We have a lot of injuries, but after spending so much money, our squad is still quite poor. The worst thing for me is that we have an squad divided in players that fit different systems.

ETH needs to manage this problem, but it is a problem that he hasn’t created, and he should not be the person owning this problem. Hope a new football structure can be implemented asap to bring the needed changes. The reason why some teams function so well is because they have a plan about how they want to play, and all their decisions are based on this.

As a club, we have rewarded mediocrity over the last years with very lucrative contracts and playing time for players that didn’t deserve it. Big names must be transferred. Contracts shouldn’t be renewed.

Our players seem to be on a mission to get another manager sacked. Some simply are not good enough and some who are, seem intoxicated by the club’s culture.

I would keep ETH, but patience is running over. I am very confused, because in press conferences he says something and then he does exactly the opposite.
He has added to the problem. His buys have been largely terrible. He has made the squad worse.

FerociousCorgis

Just think could've been 7 points off top with a win and coming up on a chance to beat pool and narrow even more.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People asking for total reset?

Garnajo, Antony, Regulion, Amrabat, Onana, Hojlund. That’s 6 new players from 2 years ago.

We need a new CB. We need a proper CDM that can defend.
Two are loans and garnacho shouldn't really be starting every game for us. It's circumstantial that we are depending on him as much as we are.

I agree we don't need a total reset though.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Was it a collective shit show like at Newcastle or were the goals conceded glaring individual errors? Did we miss any major chances? Was Martial infuriating or all of them? I'm not going to read MEN's game review..

Going by the stats we had 69% possession, 20 attempts to their 10, 10 corners to 4.
It was United largely dominating possession and playing some nice direct football without really creating very much. Mix that in with Bournemouth being clever and knowing exactly when and how to counter attack, and being clinical with it.

We didn't play horribly, we just have a forward line that are struggling for goals, and Martial was appalling. When Hojlund came on we improved and I still fancied us to win it, but the second goal was a killer. We've played far worse this season

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was United largely dominating possession and playing some nice direct football without really creating very much. Mix that in with Bournemouth being clever and knowing exactly when and how to counter attack, and being clinical with it.

We didn't play horribly, we just have a forward line that are struggling for goals, and Martial was appalling. When Hojlund came on we improved and I still fancied us to win it, but the second goal was a killer. We've played far worse this season
Thanks. Relieved to know it wasn't as bad as against Newcastle and also relieved not to have organised my day around watching the match..

Banana Republic

We go on about conceding goals, but before today's match, our goals conceded was quite respectable, compared to the teams around us and in light of our poor form.
It's the losses that come from the failure to score goals, not the total number of goals conceded, compared with other teams in the top 8.

Even after the 0-3 today, Spurs have only conceded one goal less and Villa, one more.

Apart from our terrible, or erratic performances, the number of games we've lost and the wins we've just scraped together, are entirely down to not being able to score goals.
18 goals for, is bottom 6 territory.

Liverpool - 36
Arsenal - 33
Villa - 35
City - 36
Spurs - 29
Utd -18
Newcastle -32
Brighton -33

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

The best thing I’ve probably done is just put this club to the back of my mind and just focus on other things. To the part I’m genuinely not even remotely upset with that result and performance. Seen it before and it’s pretty much what to expect from this lot.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Meanwhile Bayern lost 5-1 to Einthracht ...

Whatever that means for us. Probably nothin

Player Ratings

3.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 214 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Bournemouth win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Bournemouth