PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 October 2023

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
To be clear. martial is forward of Garnacho when the ball is played.

But

Garnacho pulls the ball backwards, you can see it from the left sided camera.

Martial reaches back to play the ball with his left.

That's why I'm not sure.
Martial was off side when the ball went forward to Garnacho.
The he dropped back/Brentford defenders moved back the ball was played backwards to him, but as he played the ball, it is deemed as "gaining to seek an advantage from being in an offside position"
You cannot be played onside. if you are offside when the ball goes forward.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I'm still buzzing from that end to the match yesterday :)

A few things:

The first half was really not good. They looked nervous as well. However, I understood why they were cautious as it was important not to start off with a deficit. Unfortunately, Casemiro lost the ball where he shouldn't and Onana didn't help. I think Casemiro is trying too hard to make something happen. His heart's in the right place, but he needs to settle down and just do the simple things well. The team really needs that.
I was pleased to see that ETH made an early decision to sub him. In fact, I was pleased ETH didn't want until the end to start making changes.

Maguire gave a really good performance - credit to him. They were some slight mistakes - but overall, considering his circumstances, he was really good.
Evans - Good solid performance.
Bruno - a much more solid performance than I've seen from him all season. Yes, he still tried a few things that didn't work, but overall, much better but really needs to improve. Can't fault his effort though.

Rasmus was good, but could use some better service....

Garnacho good, not great, but effective.

The second half though was good. Of course we had the usual problems in the final third, but at least we were more composed and purposeful. I thought the lads didn't let their heads drop. They kept going even though we couldn't score for most of the match. The fans were really willing them on though - maybe they responded to that I don't know. However, it must have helped. We got really pissed off with the ref who we thought was letting the Brentford players get away with all their time wasting.

Anyway, McTominay came on and saved the day. It was so so wonderful to have that feeling again. The absolute roar in Old Trafford was just beautiful.

On the whole, I felt that almost all the players did care about getting a result. Yes, they were all over the place at times, but you couldn't fault them for the effort. Unfortunately, I thought Rashford's body language was not good. He seemed half hearted in trying to track back etc. He also looked pretty short of confidence.
I couldn't decide if he's short of confidence and also has an attitude problem. Nevertheless, a bit into the second half he started playing better and was linking up well with the other players. Unfortunately, he couldn't quite make anything work. When he was substituted I felt slightly bad when the fans reacted with cheers (don't know if the intensity of this came across on the tele), but I can imagine that probably made him feel worse...
He did however come on to the pitch at full time to celebrate with his team mates and I saw him applaud the fans. Hopefully he understands that the reaction to his substitution was not personal. We cheered him when he made good decisions. He just needs to remember that. We require hard work and for him to remember he's playing as a part of a team.

I hope the lads use this to get their confidence up. Yes, we're not great at the moment, but we need to push through it.

Oh and Antony coming on also made a difference.

This is my report from the stands at OT.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Also, the fans gave a standing ovation and long applause for Lady Cathy before the start of the match. Was really a nice moment.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
His creative passing, mainly - had the ball the most, hit the most crosses, had the most shot-creating actions, the most progressive passing other than the defenders and goalkeeper, two good shots, as well as the top notch pass that Casemiro knocked down for Højlund to miss in the first half. Those are three of the four chances United had before 90 minutes that had an xG or post-shot xG of more than 0.1. And of course, the cross to Maguire for the second goal. He and Dalot were really the standouts in terms of offensive contribution, attentive eye test and stats both tells that story. Despite the fact he played half the game out of position. Not a great game by any stretch of imagination, but certainly a good one. He only took two corners, can't recall either of them being bad.

If you think any of Mount, Hannibal, Eriksen or McTominay have had even one game this season that is remotely on the same level, you really need to watch games more attentively. Hannibal and McTominay contributes very little on the ball. Eriksen does, but not as much and not nearly with as much impact as Bruno does. To regard any of them as better options than Bruno at #10 at this point is not even a disussion worth having, it's completely absurd.
Bruno had a decent match yesterday. He made two poor passes early in the 2nd half and I was sure he was going to have a stinker of a half. However, to his credit he played pretty smart after that. He deserves another start, but ETH has to start taking him off when his play is poor.

mark_a

Is it just me that sees this as simple as (1) we have 3/4 of our first choice back 4 out so we're conceding soft and (2) we didn't sign a nailed-on goalscorer and Rashford is out of form, so we're not scoring?

On top of that, key players have come in (Mount, Hojland etc.) and this should be the time to be decent defensively and hopefully time for the team to settle?

We weren't terrible in this game - we just don't create enough and when we do, we waste it with poor finishing or decision making. That will come good. Shipping soft goals compounds that.

If Hojland can start scoring, it'll take pressure of Marcus. If defenders come back, it'll free up Amrabat to play in midfield and dictate play a bit. He's looked great, so this bodes well.

We're frustrating as hell, but I just don't see the "terrible" that the media is keen to describe.

Hughes35

Yeah, my point was, on what basis do you consider Bruno to have been poor? I don't think he's been poor, I know that if you watch attentively he's almost always among the players who rack up the most positive involvements, and his stats tell the same story. So unless the reason is that you're not really watching his game attentively and are missing a lot of what he does, I'm wondering what exactly you're basing that assessment on?
I think he gives the ball away too often.

IRELANDUNITED

My happiness in general depends way too much on 11 millionaires playing for a football team from Manchester. It’s not healthy.

redmanx

Is it just me that sees this as simple as (1) we have 3/4 of our first choice back 4 out so we're conceding soft and (2) we didn't sign a nailed-on goalscorer and Rashford is out of form, so we're not scoring?

On top of that, key players have come in (Mount, Hojland etc.) and this should be the time to be decent defensively and hopefully time for the team to settle?

We weren't terrible in this game - we just don't create enough and when we do, we waste it with poor finishing or decision making. That will come good. Shipping soft goals compounds that.

If Hojland can start scoring, it'll take pressure of Marcus. If defenders come back, it'll free up Amrabat to play in midfield and dictate play a bit. He's looked great, so this bodes well.

We're frustrating as hell, but I just don't see the "terrible" that the media is keen to describe.
We've had a "terrible" run of bad luck with injuries, decions and VAR; ETH says you have to make your own luck and I agree but our lucks been awful! Maybe this result will kick start our season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

It should be if Rashford can start scoring then it takes the pressure of Hojlund… surely? Hojlund is 20 and come into a new league and new environment, Rashford should be stepping up and contributing so it’s less pressure on the young new ST. One of the main problems is Onana letting in weak goals and not being able to save shots. Teams will pick up on this and will just start shooting and hoping they get it on target as there’s a chance it goes in. Obviously if we become a lot more possession based like the cup game against palace then we limit the chances opposition teams have.

Oscar Bonavena

If Hojland can start scoring, it'll take pressure of Marcus.
Well, Marcus can take a bit of the scoring pressure off himself and help Hojlund in the process, if he stops trying to beat 3 or 4 defenders at a time, and almost invariably losing possession, and actually try to feed his centre forward earlier.

cyril C

I think he gives the ball away too often.
The very essence of Bruno's game, is give the ball away too often. In fact, this has been (I believe) management's reservation on him before we bought him.

People have to realise that Bruno makes risky pass, but mostly at the final third, hence potential damage is minimal, compared with mistakes made by Fred or Casemiro or Maguire. But if he does get it right, provided that attackers make the right move, then it can be goal scoring opportunity.

cyril C

We've had a "terrible" run of bad luck with injuries, decions and VAR; ETH says you have to make your own luck and I agree but our lucks been awful! Maybe this result will kick start our season.
When 1 or 2 players get injured during 1st month of season, it will be bad luck. When half of the squad get injured during 1st month of season, it has nothing to do with luck. Was it over-trained during preseason? But when the other half of the squad is over-weight and can't run 10km, then obviously lacking training, right? So when happened in USA? Half over-trained, the other half too many parties?

OldRed1

When 1 or 2 players get injured during 1st month of season, it will be bad luck. When half of the squad get injured during 1st month of season, it has nothing to do with luck. Was it over-trained during preseason? But when the other half of the squad is over-weight and can't run 10km, then obviously lacking training, right? So when happened in USA? Half over-trained, the other half too many parties?
Who out of the squad, not injured, are in your opinion overweight, I can think of 1 maybe 2.

VictoriaRed

Embarrassing how fall we've fallen. Tip of the cap to McT. 3 pts. It's hard to be a supporter, but I'm in for suffering, still.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
It's funny. All of a sudden Maguire and McTominay have gone from the most reviled to heroes. Rashford, who was a god last season, is now worthless.

Wilt

Used a get out of jail card.

Will no doubt be needing more get out of jail cards.

Hughes35

The very essence of Bruno's game, is give the ball away too often. In fact, this has been (I believe) management's reservation on him before we bought him.

People have to realise that Bruno makes risky pass, but mostly at the final third, hence potential damage is minimal, compared with mistakes made by Fred or Casemiro or Maguire. But if he does get it right, provided that attackers make the right move, then it can be goal scoring opportunity.
Yea, agree with all of that. He produces moments of magic. Apart from that volley though, I don't think the magic has been enough this season to offset how often he gives it away.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Delicious to hear the thundering silence from the anti McT and abuse Harry crowd. For now, at least.

cyril C

Who out of the squad, not injured, are in your opinion overweight, I can think of 1 maybe 2.
Shall we put it the other way round. Who was the most fit player at the beginning of season, I recalled AWB, then injured. Then Dalot is probably the ONLY fit player since day 1. Bruno is probably the 2nd name that I can think of. Unless you think Rashford, Casemiro are fit in any way..

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think our issue isn't who starts the game but the need to pass the ball upfield faster and play with more urgency. I really hate watching us allow the opponent to get the entire team back defending before we start any attack.

We only start to play with more urgency towards the end of the game. Why can't we play like that every time?
Absolutely spot on.
Our build up is so pedestrian at times, and when we do get the ball quickly to (mainly) Rashford and Antony, they hold the ball for a few seconds, then pass it backwards, thus defeating the whole forward movement of the team.
If Brandon Williams was playing for United, and had won the ball like he did against Preston, I don't think he would have been encouraged to bomb forward and shoot like he did, he would have been told to pass to a senior player.

justsomebloke

I think our issue isn't who starts the game but the need to pass the ball upfield faster and play with more urgency. I really hate watching us allow the opponent to get the entire team back defending before we start any attack.

We only start to play with more urgency towards the end of the game. Why can't we play like that every time?
If there's a good opportunity for a quick break, then we should take it. But we do - that's actually the part of the game we're best at. It is most decidedly not something we do too rarely, if anything it's the opposite.

Considered as a general approach, something you try to do in most cases rather than just when particular opportunities present themselves, what you're calling for is deeply counterproductive, especially against the top teams at this level. They'll soak up most of the attempts, and then eviscerate you with the space that leaves them to work with.

Also, the obvious reason you mostly can't do what we did towards the end of the Brentford game is the other team won't let you. You either get to do that because the other team is so winded and focussed on protecting a lead they drop that deep, or because your ball control and regaining possession game is so good you force them. In our case, it's the former. We are rarely good enough to achieve the latter.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
My mates stream...not mine obviously...wen't down just after the equaliser and got going again just in time to see McT wheel away after the winner. Dash, bother, how unfortunate. I was surprised to see Casimiro looking the glummest man in the world in the aftermath while all other players that came off the bench to join in the celebrations were overjoyed. Even if you're in a huff at being subbed at HT you're surely delighted at the win in those circumstances but didn't look like it. Bit strange.

alexthelion

My mates stream...not mine obviously...wen't down just after the equaliser and got going again just in time to see McT wheel away after the winner. Dash, bother, how unfortunate. I was surprised to see Casimiro looking the glummest man in the world in the aftermath while all other players that came off the bench to join in the celebrations were overjoyed. Even if you're in a huff at being subbed at HT you're surely delighted at the win in those circumstances but didn't look like it. Bit strange.
Rashford had a face as long as a wet Sunday as well when he came off the bench.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 2:1 Brentford
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Brentford