PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 October 2023

steffyr2

Rashford and Case on, lose 0-1

Take them off and win 2-0

we have been saying it for weeks, nice of ETH to listen in the end.
Jeez, I'm sick of 'fans' who just come on to blame one or another player, then move on to blaming the next player.
We have a mid-table team of players, accept it. (so we should be winning more than we have been)

cyberman

We do not know how to play off a big man. Everybody comes close to him when he’s wrestling for the ball or taking it down. We should be making runs off the probably pass made after he keeps the ball but it’s win ball high up pitch and play it back

Kinky Melinky

Two goals in Fergie time for Cathy. A nice thought for all of us during a time where we are a deeply concerning side.

adamwest

Feels fitting with the passing of Lady Cathy that we've won this one through a homegrown player in Fergie time. Respect.
Very apt mate - fair enough with this comparison. Poetic.

ElDiabloRojo

Brentford deserved that, as did United for keeping going until the very end.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
We needed that! What a comeback!

That's why we kept Scotty and Maguire!

Born2Lose

What a weird game. Completely new emotions that United is creating... I am really happy for McTominay because he really was up for it and had two great finishes to win us the game. I am also very happy for ETH, for subbing the matchwinner.

But all in all, I thought, it was an awful match. And winning it, while taking a bit of pressure off, thankfully, might send the wrong signals. We were shit and while we probably didn't deserve to lose the match, a win is generous as feck. I am really worried for us. Another game where we looked clueless. Our big players look out of form, we are slow and tumescent. We won it by throwing the sink at them and glad we did but I really don't feel happiness at this stage.
Agree, really papers over the cracks. I'd enjoy the result if I thought it had finally woken Ten Hag up, but as it is I suspect it'll be Favourites 11 after the international break.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It’s always more pleasing when the opposition team time waste :lol: :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If it's up to me, that's the end of Rashford as LW/LF. He better fight as striker with Hojlund.

cj_sparky

Chuffed to win obviously, still a team performance seriously lacking any real cohesion up top, far to many players coasting and not putting enough effort in. Whilst not a good performance, hopefully a corner turned...again...maybe.

Other than Lindelof brain fart, I didn't think the back four was that bad tbh. Evans and Maguire did well. Onana, less said the better at the moment. Midfield and attack was poor until we made changes. Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford shouldn't start the next game.

Special thanks to McTominay, now I don't have to spend the international break mulling over a loss. Also hopefully we can get a full back or two fit, for afterwards.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Scottie McTom has got it going on!
He's all we've been waiting for so long!
Scottie McTom has got it going on
He's the one to bring on!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyone got a GIF of that goon Brentford defender celebrating a goal kick at 0-1 on 92mins like he'd won multiple World cups? :lol:

Scriblerus

Football, bloody hell. But we're still in a situation where no part of that team actually works. McTominay is one of a bunch of midfielders who we can't put together to make a functioning unit (something we haven't had for years, while Liverpool appear to have managed to go out and buy a whole set off the shelf in one window). Deficiencies and incompatibilities everywhere on the pitch. With most of the players you can see how they would work in combination with the right partner (eg Antony with an RB who can overlap and cross well) but we don't have them. So much tiredness on the pitch, and so many injuries - down to too many matches last season and too little rotation, because too little depth? Off pitch, least said the better - but that's where the rebuild needs to start.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Awful performance from almost every United player but who gives a feck. Endings like that are why you watch football.

CtrlAltDeLigt

The win changes nothing except 3 points on the table. But some positives:

1- Amrabat in midfield is what we need, in that DM position, it’s clear. He can carry, dribble, pass and defend and shown some glimpses today. Casemiro needs to be replaced.
2- Hojlund is a very exciting prospect. He is displaying he has a fight in him, doesn’t seem to be bullied at this level. Hope he progresses well.

ETH changed his tactics post half time, similar to how we were playing last season. He seems to be recognising that our team as a whole is again not willing/ capable to change their play style. Or the manager is not able to translate it to them, which seems less probable.

Superunknown

What a weird game. Completely new emotions that United is creating... I am really happy for McTominay because he really was up for it and had two great finishes to win us the game. I am also very happy for ETH, for subbing the matchwinner.

But all in all, I thought, it was an awful match. And winning it, while taking a bit of pressure off, thankfully, might send the wrong signals. We were shit and while we probably didn't deserve to lose the match, a win is generous as feck. I am really worried for us. Another game where we looked clueless. Our big players look out of form, we are slow and tumescent. We won it by throwing the sink at them and glad we did but I really don't feel happiness at this stage.
I agree with everything you said.

Red_Aaron

Boy did we need that

Pleased for the whole squad, that's perhaps the first piece of good fortune we've had all season and that's not to say they were lucky just that turning a game around like that so rarely happens

Brentford were excellent in what they set out to do but we hung in there and kept going and eventually got our rewards

Still a lot of work to do but no doubt the whole club will be feeling a lot better over the internationals now

ShinjiNinja26

The performance was fecking terrible but always love a last minute winner! Problem is we can’t do that every week. I fully expect us to serve up the same old shite in our next match.

eire-red

Weird game. Brentford were terrible as well and created nothing bar the goal and a couple long throws. One of those we just needed to stumble over the line.

Garnacho deserves a run in the side now, and maybe Rashford from the bench against tired legs is the way to play him back into form.

Special mention to Johnny Evans, he looked very good back there and I wouldn't be against him holding is spot at LCB beside Varane whatsoever.

Canuckred64

If you believe in omens? Two goals in added time by a Scot days after SAF's wife Cathy dies. Hollywood couldn't have scripted it better.

Great commitment by the team to keep pushing for the equalizer and winner, harsh on Brentford who defended well for 92 minutes, but damn do I feel great, first time this year. Hopefully this is ten Hag Steve Bruce scoring late against Wedneday moment.

Rockets Redglare

We were by far the better team, just looked so laboured and devoid of ideas in attack. When you add that to the individual mistakes that lead to goals you have to really dig deep to get anything out of a game.

Really happy to get a result there.

CtRafidah

A rare shout-out to Amrabat. Picked up all the lose ball whether its from himself, or others. if it were up to case, eriksen we would be holding our hearts in our hand seeing Onana fumble. Wanted him to be more adventures but probably he has his orders ni guess, passed quite quickly to others when reaching close to the box.

Robertd0803

Jesus Christ.

Get in there, dont even want to imagine what the alternative was if we didnt somehow end up winning.

That offside goal nearly broke me Ill be honest.

Hopefully its the kind of result that acts as a positive springboard.

Beckham77

Delighted with the 3 points, but I'm disgusted (yet again) with the majority of those players today. Insipid and lazy all over the pitch. Why is there never any energy in this team? No-one moves with the ball with any intensity or intent, just slowly ambling along. I'm actually missing Fred at this point!

Evans & Maguire were decent I thought and Dalot made an effort to get up and support. Bar that & McSauce though...

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Surprise surprise we win the game with no Rashy on the pitch. Would be better if we ditched Bruno and Case for a few games too.
It would be interesting to see us start a game without those three players, but I feel that may not happen for some time.

TheRedHearted

Nice finish to the game.

I don’t know how he gets this set of players to actually play well though?
Simple passes, holding triangles and being direct, playing long worked today, I’m normally against it but we have a physical presence with hojland, and scott, getting those crosses in but the more we play fast and direct with the ball instead of giving defenses the freedom to position themselves. We have some grit, just when we go slow we look so lost becuase movement off the ball becomes non existent

davidmichael

McTominay has just single-handedly saved Onana’s career at United, if we’d lost that then there’s no way he starts the next game and a steady/reliable keeper like Heaton would steady the ship til next season.

Have to be honest and say Maguire was very good today and looks a different player when alongside someone who’s calm and in control as Evans is and Varane would be, also thought Amrabat was very good too and whilst a tier below De Jong is very much the kind of partner for a more in form Casemiro.

Bruno was awful yet again and he along with Rashford should be dropped for Mount and Garnacho for the Sheffield United game and maybe for the Copenhagen game as well, they need to realise that they are no different to anyone else and not above being dropped because of their team standing.

I’ve said on lots of occasions here that McTominay needs to be played as a box to box player with licence to play forward as he has a great shot, is good in the air and can be a handful for the opposition but he’s not a Casemiro replacement/back up as he doesn’t have the passing range, positional sense or defensive capabilities to do so.

Hojlund looked lively and a real handful again so I think if given the service could score 20 goals this season so if we could get Rashford, Antony and Garnacho in and around 10-15 goals each that’s a good amount of goals that can potentially be scored by us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can't actually believe we scored from a long range point free kick right at the death.

We never ever do that

Cloud7

Really glad we won that. We desperately needed a win. I feel like a loss here would have sent us into a spiral we would not have been able to escape from

madzo2007

Sheer relief. Massive win in the circumstances

Maguire and Evans done well enough, few strong hold up play moments from Hojlund. Can't fault the desire from Garnacho when he came on either

Scotty T the saviour!!

siw2007

What a finish! To lose that game would have been a disaster, I might have taken a draw at the end there even though it would have been a poor result, but the injury time winner is fantastic and important.

Not a great performance, usual suspects weren’t great, but we showed great perseverance to get back in the game in the 2nd half. Thought Maguire, Evans and Dalot were all really good and McTominay was excellent off the bench.

buchansleftleg

This will only prove to be a turning point if players like Bruno, Casemiro and Rashford get ditched for a while after half-arsing it for the last few weeks.

Play young, hungry kids if we have to and shame these "stars" into a proper performance level or ship them out.

The Irish Connection

I didn’t think we were as bad as some are stating. Brentford are well organized. We have an awful injury list, and Onana is making game changing howlers every match. I don’t see how that is the manager’s fault.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 2:1 Brentford
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Brentford