PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 October 2023

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Absolutely appalling performance. But proof that football is fecking stupid, big Harry and Mctominay combining to save our bacon.
It's English football.
Two big uns, ball in the air can always bear fruit.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I was joking some time ago that Hojlund was McTominay in disguise. Now I don't know what to think.

redom

Hopefully a last minute comeback like that and all the emotions of it can lift the team and give them some confidence and belief going forward.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didn’t think we were as bad as some are stating. Brentford are well organized. We have an awful injury list, and Onana is making game changing howlers every match. I don’t see how that is the manager’s fault.
The truth is Brentford never deserved to win that one. They got a spawny goal, terrible between Lindelof and Onana, and we had the vast majority of the ball.
Didn't create great chances, but it wasn't like the Brighton game where we were outplayed.

It was Palace and Gala again, playing well enough but appalling defensive moment(s).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Love it when timewasting comes back to bite teams on the arse. That was horrendous stuff from Brentford in the 2nd half, it all went unpunished, not even a final warning from the referee nevermind any bookings, and 6 minutes added on was laughable.

Poor performance, but we needed a win so don't care how we did it.

Daverson

Didn't watch the match but from reading the macth thread, it seems as though a picture of Mcsauce as the hamburglar seems pretty apt

Wrecking ralf

Ddrop Bruno for Mctominay as the no10. Start Antony and Garnacho instead of Mount and Rashford. We’d play much better as a unit. Casemiro needs a break. Play Eriksen next to Amrabat and hope we get a left back fit soon.

big_jeffstar

Do you think it’s possible to coach some actual movement into them before the next game Erik? That would be great, thanks..

philippexyz

I don't know how to feel about this win. Yes, it was glorious, in a way, but maybe it's just prolonging the inevitable failure of ETH and overall suffering.

daveskimufc

Still so frustrating, desperate for something, just anything that shows we have an actual plan. Hojlund was good today, but all alone.

The captain needs dropping, I think mount did ok, garnacho needs another try as a starter with rash as the impact sub.

I'd love to see a 343 tried

emperortan

We really should consider retrain Scotty as a new poacher. He really has potential.

Wing Attack Plan R

McTominator was so clinical, what a finisher. Martial should stay after and see if Scotty can reach him a few things.

Everyone said the trio Bruno Rashford Casemiro needed to sit this one out - and it almost cost Ten Hag his job. Who knows how many more defeats he had before getting the chop, but McT saved him. That trio were a liability, giving the ball away for fun. Bench them, start a midfield with Hannibal, Mount, Amrabat, try for some balance.

Thank feck for the break.

BorisManUtd

The way Ajer was celebrating that goal kick in 92nd minute, I knew we'd get that equalizer and they won't go away with a win. But when we scored 2nd that was something else.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worst thing is I couldn’t celebrate either with VAR, out of play/offside calls.
The Martial one was odd, how they dragged that out, as he was a million miles off. Obviously you tend to only realise after celebrating.
But the Garnacho ball on line thing would have been an absolute killer if that had turned out to be a marginal out. Absolute killer.

Even the McTom 2nd goal you suddenly start worrying about offside, will they think Maguire fouled the defender etc.

croadyman

Fitting that a Scott scored the winner for fellow scot,definitely needed that before the derby at Old Trafford in 3 weeks time

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The way Ajer was celebrating that goal kick in 92nd minute, I knew we'd get that equalizer and they won't go away with a win. But when we scored 2nd that was something else.
Totally this, wondered if anyone else would say it.

That was utterly insane, like he'd won a 100billion pound lottery. All for getting a goal kick!

mintyred

I only watched the second half but we actually looked good at keeping the ball, we didn't do anything with it but we kept it. It wasn't until Garnacho and Antony came on that we started to create chances.

BorisManUtd

Totally this, wondered if anyone else would say it.

That was utterly insane, like he'd won a 100billion pound lottery. All for getting a goal kick!
Yes, and it was with 4 minutes to go, he totally jinxed it for them :lol: also happy because of those Brentford fans that were chanting "Sacked in the morning".

Laurencio

Thank feck for McT. We should be miles better, but at least we got the three points.

fallengt

Hope we build some momentum...
Onana, Casemiro, Rashford, Bruno needs to be dropped here and there. They can't play every game and make stinkers week in week out

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Oh my God I went mental in OT. The noise was incredible! United!!

Jazz

That fecking ref was full of shit! Feck him!

Yanited__

Props to McTominay for coming on and producing that!

Even if it doesn't kick us on, you can tell the players/we the fans needed a win and one like that. With all the talk about the lack of mentality and players going into their shell after conceding, that felt like a couple of goals in good old Fergie time!

I saw a team still playing (although terribly) for this manager which is good. Even the subs that came on, obviously with McTominay but Martial/Antony you can tell were really trying. And you can tell with the celebrations all of the players cared!

On the performance, obviously wasn't good enough. Still got questions about Bruno as much I love him. Again, quite wasteful with the ball. Concerning we're still leaking goals and a lot come from individual mistakes. Players like Onana/Lindelof need to looked at, even Casemiro as well.

But I am going to ignore it again for now. You have to appreciate moments like that cause we've not had many recently.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes, and it was with 4 minutes to go, he totally jinxed it for them :lol: also happy because of those Brentford fans that were chanting "Sacked in the morning".
Glad we stuck it to them after that, their arse of a manager etc.
The way they sing Hey Jude and go "oooh" at the end needs punishing.

Parma Dewol

The madness surrounding United is such that my mate, a die-hard United fan, is gutted we won that game. His reasoning is that more defeats puts pressure on the Glazers to sell. :eek:

As much as I enjoyed the comeback, it’s hard to ignore just how fractured our club and supporters are.

Still, get in Scotty! :devil:

Jazz

Thought we played well in second half. Even bloody Maguire played well! Couldn’t believe McTom of all people won that match for us. Incredible. So happy

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
McT to the rescue! I love that we played with effort and heart. It means the dressing room has not been lost.

"Problems: 1. Casemiro 2. Bruno 3. ETH 4. Rashford". I'll continue with this since it was closed.

1. Casemiro. He lost the ball with 3 poor passes and one was the goal. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think he might be done at the top levels. He is just too slow and ponderous now. He'll need 3 very good matches in a row to change my mind and many others.

2. Bruno. He was better today. I was worried, though, at the start of the 2nd because he forced two passes and lost the ball early on. He played smarter after that.

3. ETH. The positives are he took off Casemiro at the half, he played Amrabat as DM, and the team showed effort and a good attitude. One negative is he started Bruno as the right winger and it would have made much more sense to have Bruno as AM and Mount as RW. I really don't see any logic not doing this. The other negative was he took Rashford off too soon. Rashford was playing pretty good and seemed to get better and better as the match wore on. I hope ETH gives the midfield of Amrabat, Mount and Bruno a try soon. This could be our best midfield if they can work well together.

4. Rashford. Much better but still dribbled into too many dead ends.

Hopefully this victory is the beginning of a good run.

The Irish Connection

The truth is Brentford never deserved to win that one. They got a spawny goal, terrible between Lindelof and Onana, and we had the vast majority of the ball.
Didn't create great chances, but it wasn't like the Brighton game where we were outplayed.

It was Palace and Gala again, playing well enough but appalling defensive moment(s).
Yup definitely.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Saw someone on my local club's forum saying it's a sign of how far we've slipped we celebrate wildly about a scraped win v Brentford.
Why do fans do this nonsense? If you can't celebrate a late winner, what's the point?

Teja

My biggest takeaway from that game is that Casemiro is done. Amrabat's intensity was like a breath of fresh air.

Hope ten hag has the balls to drop him now.

Otherwise I thought we were fine despite the complaints.

RedOrange

Love it when timewasting comes back to bite teams on the arse. That was horrendous stuff from Brentford in the 2nd half, it all went unpunished, not even a final warning from the referee nevermind any bookings, and 6 minutes added on was laughable.
That comeback was even more satisfying after having to watch that absolute WANKER Ajer scream and fistpump about getting a fecking goal kick. I had the curb your enthusiasm theme playing in my head during the two goals.

Fts 74

Can we just forget about the performance and enjoy the win.We all know there's a lot to do to improve us but God i enjoyed that.

So fitting we done it in Fergie time.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 298 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Man Utd 2:1 Brentford