PL W FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 2:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 September 2020

Eddy_JukeZ

Everton away is probably the hardest of these games.
Those 5 games will likely define our season going forward.

11 points(3 wins, 2 draws) would be something I'd aim for, but with our horrid start(performance wise), we could do with more to liven the atmosphere and morale.

el3mel

Those 5 games will likely define our season going forward.

11 points(3 wins, 2 draws) would be something I'd aim for, but with our horrid start(performance wise), we could do with more to liven the atmosphere and morale.
I think we will defeat Chelsea and Arsenal. At home and with their style and defense, it should suit us. Spurs game will be down to our individual brilliance I guess, as they will play defensively. Everton game is the hardest of these lot, away and against a team in form.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we will defeat Chelsea and Arsenal. At home and with their style and defense, it should suit us. Spurs game will be down to our individual brilliance I guess, as they will play defensively. Everton game is the hardest of these lot, away and against a team in form.
That game vs Chelsea might break the record for Prem goals in a match with how porous both defenses have been.

I hope you're right. I just worry our struggles will continue.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
DDG - Amidst all the oafing around, it went almost unnoticed that at one point he stood less than a metre out from his goal, then instead of catching a simple cross, punched the air in the face and nearly let the ball bounce into an empty goal.

Bissaka - One of those days where he can look himself in the eye and say honestly that he'd have done much better by getting sent off in the first minute.
Lindelof - He doesn't seem like someone who would help catch a criminal. He seems like someone who would try and end up accidentally helping them escape while causing the entire police force to crash their cars into the river.
Maguire - Fully deserved to be sent back to jail for that performance and yet despite that was our second best defender.
Shaw - I mean, at least if you were rating him you could reasonably give him more than a 1/10, which is something you can't say for the other three.

Matic - I thought he was alright, but he's too slow for these types of games. Especially if you're going to endlessly try and pretend Pogba is a holding/box to box midfielder.
Pogba - He's been here for over four years and is still more often than ot one of the worst performing players on the pitch, and there are always still excuses made for him, BUT, playing him in a role that requires defensive positioning and discipline is so stupid. We know he can't do it. It's not like he doesn't try. He just isn't good at it. In the same way Fernandes wouldn't be if we played him there. In the same way Greenwood wouldn't be very good if we played him at fullback.

Fernandes - Barely given a decent pass into him all game and yet ends up resonsible for all three of our goals.

Greenwood - Bit off by his standards. Probably shagged some drugs before the game or something
Martial - You are allowed to pass the ball before trying to dribble through a wall of players.
Rashford - Very good apart from his strange interpretation of the offside rule.

VDB - Basically won us the game by almost not letting the bll go off the pitch.
Bailly - I thought he came on so someone would be picking up March at the far post, but then Brighton got like, another 7 chances after he came on due to March being left completely free. Do our coaching staff even watch the game?
Fred - I mean, Pogba had to come off, but that will be the case every time the opposition press us and we insist on playing him next to Matic and expecting it to work.

Ref/VAR - Proof that it is possible to have a competent referee. If this was last week's referee and VAR the game would have somehow ended 4-0 to someone.

Now we know that games are allowed to carry on even after they have technically finished until we are winning, I'm fairly confident we can win the league.

NiceGuyEddie

Shite first half, some good spells in second half, thought we deserved a draw. Defence needs looking at. Brighton looked sharper and fitter.

All this "Brighton should have had 7" is complete bollocks. They didn't score 7 due to poor finishing. If one of them woodwork shots HAD gone in, it could well have changed the course of the game. Brighton could have parked the bus, or it could have initiated a spirited response from us (like their last minute goal did). Brighton were never in a million years on course for 7 goals, we were poor at times but weren't THAT bad.

pascell

Another performance which highlighted the lack of solid coaching in both the attacking and defensive phases.

None of our goals this year I have felt have come off the training ground, instead we rely of the inspiration of the individual.

And our defending is all over the place, no structure whatsoever, something needs changing.

Red71

DDG - Amidst all the oafing around, it went almost unnoticed that at one point he stood less than a metre out from his goal, then instead of catching a simple cross, punched the air in the face and nearly let the ball bounce into an empty goal.

Bissaka - One of those days where he can look himself in the eye and say honestly that he'd have done much better by getting sent off in the first minute.
Lindelof - He doesn't seem like someone who would help catch a criminal. He seems like someone who would try and end up accidentally helping them escape while causing the entire police force to crash their cars into the river.
Maguire - Fully deserved to be sent back to jail for that performance and yet despite that was our second best defender.
Shaw - I mean, at least if you were rating him you could reasonably give him more than a 1/10, which is something you can't say for the other three.

Matic - I thought he was alright, but he's too slow for these types of games. Especially if you're going to endlessly try and pretend Pogba is a holding/box to box midfielder.
Pogba - He's been here for over four years and is still more often than ot one of the worst performing players on the pitch, and there are always still excuses made for him, BUT, playing him in a role that requires defensive positioning and discipline is so stupid. We know he can't do it. It's not like he doesn't try. He just isn't good at it. In the same way Fernandes wouldn't be if we played him there. In the same way Greenwood wouldn't be very good if we played him at fullback.

Fernandes - Barely given a decent pass into him all game and yet ends up resonsible for all three of our goals.

Greenwood - Bit off by his standards. Probably shagged some drugs before the game or something
Martial - You are allowed to pass the ball before trying to dribble through a wall of players.
Rashford - Very good apart from his strange interpretation of the offside rule.

VDB - Basically won us the game by almost not letting the bll go off the pitch.
Bailly - I thought he came on so someone would be picking up March at the far post, but then Brighton got like, another 7 chances after he came on due to March being left completely free. Do our coaching staff even watch the game?
Fred - I mean, Pogba had to come off, but that will be the case every time the opposition press us and we insist on playing him next to Matic and expecting it to work.

Ref/VAR - Proof that it is possible to have a competent referee. If this was last week's referee and VAR the game would have somehow ended 4-0 to someone.

Now we know that games are allowed to carry on even after they have technically finished until we are winning, I'm fairly confident we can win the league.
Brilliant! The Lindelof summary in particular made me laugh out loud!!! :lol:

Micky Targaryen

Another post match review of “it’s not Ole’s fault, blame the fitness”. You’d just wonder if the squad can grasp some amount of fitness come next week vs Spurs. :rolleyes:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
More than I'd like to admit, but it's not done any good, we're finished as a top level club as it stands. Hope something changes. :(
Yeah, it's been so much grimmer than anyone could've expected post-Fergie obviously. Just avoid calling for us to lose or get relegated on these boards. The more managers we have that fail does chip away at your hope, admittedly...

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Yeah, it's been so much grimmer than anyone could've expected post-Fergie obviously. Just avoid calling for us to lose or get relegated on these boards. The more managers we have that fail does chip away at your hope, admittedly...
Yes but in honesty I don't want us to lose, I just want something to happen that will improve things, that's all.

It's a really tough time and has been for the past few years. It's frustrating as well as we've spent enough money to have a very capable team, the leadership is just directionless.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Gator Nate

Without reading the previous 18+ pages...

3 points. I'll take 'em and get out of Dodge.

Thought we played better than last week. Not good enough, but... good enough.

Bailly should have just earned a crack at the starting XI in league play.

Gotta get some new blood in.

Gator Nate

Oh, I want to add, the entire Brighton lot are a bunch of floppers. Every one of them went to ground for the slightest appearance of contact. Actual contact did not seem a requirement.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I just had a chance to watch on Peacock Plus replay and I'm going to mention the positives.

- Bruno was really good on attack and he looked like the player from February/March. His passing was sharp and penetrating.

- Rashford played better than he has since Covid. I'm hoping he'll build on this as I was about to give up on him.

- Martial had flashes of very nice play and no doubt will start scoring soon.

- AWB's lack of positioning is easy to fix.

- Matic played fairly well but Ole needs to encourage quicker play. He can't resort to his slow play from a year ago.

- Pogba must be affected by Covid as his step looks a little lethargic. He should improve greatly soon.

Overall, I'm not worried yet with the slow start because there have been flashes of some nice play. As players get in shape and sharper, I'm expecting attractive and effective football. Still would like to see 2 more additions to the club though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
To be fair it was terrible refereeing to not give penalty for handball in real time. It was as clear as day. The ref fecked up there but gladly VAR saved the day.
It was awful last year, and has inexplicably got worse.

I’m done with watching premier league football and I can’t quite believe that I’m saying that.

lex talionis

To be fair it was terrible refereeing to not give penalty for handball in real time. It was as clear as day. The ref fecked up there but gladly VAR saved the day.
In fairness, It’s not hard to understand why the referee didn’t actually see the handball offense in that particular situation. The ball did not take much of a deflection. We’ve seen many such handball offenses, and worse, not called in the past.

Didn’t Terry get away with dozens of more blatant handball offenses during his days with Chelsea?

Bestietom

A good coaching of our defence can fix things. But we still need that link between our midfield and forwards. We are playing far too slow and need to pass forward more. We have reverted back to passing back and sideways.

OleTheGreat

It was not a good match to watch as we were sloppy all over the park but judging by the circumstances and the situation around the club, it was one we needed and like Ole modestly put it " we got away with one" lucky for us. Onwards and Upwards from here on. Hopefully we get Sancho across the line and with all the Telles and Upamecano talks, I hope we get some business done.

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 358 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Brighton 0:2 Man Utd