PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 May 2022

Oranges038

Not one of them out there today should play in the last game. But of soft, spineless gobshites.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Thankfully I couldn't catch the whole match, but I watched up until Bissouma's challenge on Elanga. Up until that point I thought it was an abject decision by Rangnick to play Mata. He's a super tidy player if you're dominating possession, if you're struggling for possession you're playing with 10 men. And it was his mistake that lead to the first goal. He's cowardly (understandably perhaps, given his stature) when receiving the ball with his back to an opposition player, let alone if he's in his own half, which is what happened, he continually tried to play first time balls to any random position (similar to Telles) instead of trusting himself to control the ball and pick a pass.

That Bissouma foul was a clear as day red card and I was frankly surprised that it wasn't a VAR formality.

steffyr2

I finally found the Utd formation for today on Soccernet. It was (allegedly) --
--------------------------------------Ronaldo--------------------------------------------
----------Bruno---------------------Mata----------------------Elanga-------------
-------------------Matic--------------------------------McT----------------------------
----Telles-----------------------------------------------------------------Dalot--------
-------------------------Varane------------------Lindelof----------------------------

At least it's clear why we had no midfield -- the players in red are slow and slower. I actually don't know where they were playing -- Ronaldo was almost to the half way line sometimes today, but everyone else was stuck in our own defensive end (and they weren't defending!).
2nd half changes --
--------------------------Ronaldo------------Cavani--------------------------------
----------Bruno---------------------Mata----------------------Elanga-------------
--------------------------------------McGuire-------------------------------------------
----Telles-----------------------------------------------------------------Dalot--------
-------------------------Varane------------------Lindelof----------------------------

(I'm pretending there was a formation in the 1st half and there was a different, organized formation in the second half.)
- Elanga should have come out. He's either injured or just shell-shocked from the foul in the 1st.
- Was Bruno on the left wing? Or the right wing?

Maybe this game was to show why a new midfield was needed. If so, I'm onboard, but I bet the rest of the players aren't.

USREDEVIL

I know the players are crap but I’m glad we’re not having to keep ragnick as the manager. He needs to go upstairs where he belongs.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
What makes this a royal failure is that Rangnick himself is out of his depth. I can’t believe I’m saying this but Ole may have got us to play a little better. I suppose Rangnick’s real role is to really expose the deficiencies of this team which he has

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Watching on catchup now... Getting taught how to play by a team built on about 1/50th of the budget. Christ.

The Purley King

I hope rangnick plays none of the players that played today in the final game.

I do not want to see any of them at all again this season and 90% of them I don’t want to see next season either.
Oh and make sure not to play lingard last game either.

captain666

Absolute disgrace of a non-performance,not even a glimmer of effort from any outfield player,I think RR seriously underestimated when he said we need 10 players!
I'd be very tempted to play the FA Youth Cup side in our last game as reward for winning it(hopefully).

UTD_Since_1978

I know the players are crap but I’m glad we’re not having to keep Rangnick as the manager. He needs to go upstairs where he belongs.
I don't see the point in him going upstairs, in January he suggested signing 1 of 3 players, 1 went to Juve, 1 went to Liverpool & 1 went to City & our scouts & board said all of them are not good enough for UTD so therefore even if he goes upstairs he still won't be listened to so won't make a difference.

redmanx

Today, at Brighton, I did something I have never done before and never thought I would; I left the match early. When Brighton scored their third goal I decided enough was enough. Losing is one thing, but humiliation and abject surrender against a team like Brighton, with all due respects to that club, its players and supporters, is something else. Brighton were superb, but their job was made so much simpler by our ineptitude, carelessness, lack of desire, lack of passion....I could go on about our falings all night. I dont know much about Eric Ten Haag, but he must be super confident, very very good and very brave; if not hes either a bloody fool for taking on the hardest job in world football or hes on a contract which gives him an extremely good pay off when hes sacked after failing to lift a once great and proud club out of the quagmire of dross, apathy and total ineptitude it now languishes in. I wont be at our final match, I dont think I could bear another one like today.

Flying_Heckfish

Disgusting performance by the majority and no reason for us now not to play a scratch team in the final game.

Today, at Brighton, I did something I have never done before and never thought I would; I left the match early.
I hope you at least had a nice day out at the beach. Kudos for travelling and putting up with this as much as you could.

MrBest

There is nothing really left to say anymore. I am just glad that there is one game left, I am hoping to see a full youth squad, and that game is in 2 weeks. I can't be giving more time up with squad we put out.

always_hoping

Prior to that match today Brighton had only won 3 home league games this season (only Norwich with two was worse)

Brighton scored had scored just 12 goals at home (level with Norwich for the worst scoring)

Enough said on a truly embarrassing result.

Blood Mage

What makes this a royal failure is that Rangnick himself is out of his depth. I can’t believe I’m saying this but Ole may have got us to play a little better. I suppose Rangnick’s real role is to really expose the deficiencies of this team which he has
That's why I'm still backing him even though he has undoubtedly been a colossal failure as our manager. If it gives our recruitment people a much needed kick up the arse I'm happy to swallow these humiliating defeats.

Strats

Watched until half time. Got absolutely steaming with a few mates and didn’t check the score until now

Glad I missed it. Can’t wait until the season is over

DeGea’sFeet

Think people are not giving us the credit we deserve. We’re playing for 8th spot, getting closer with every passing game, and not even raised suspicions yet.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Your game was being played live on my work floor. I seriously couldn’t believe how poor your team is. (Disclaimer, my team is also doing shite).

Firstly, your team play is atrocious. Apart from the nice play to get Ronaldo in during the first half you barely had any semblance of teamwork that I can remember. In contrast Brighton were playing one-twos and running into space, creating opportunities for chances and your mistakes - like Varane almost gifting Welbeck a goal.

Secondly, who is coaching your defense? If they’re not ball watching, they’re chasing the ball (out of position) reminiscent of the type of stuff your bound to see on a primary school pitch. It’s crazy, your not compact, you don’t hold your lines and any amount of pressure and your shape (and heads) are completely lost.

Thirdly McT.. out of all the players out there who played. He was literally like FIFA ai out there. Losing the ball under pressure, players running around him and seemingly not reacting to the danger. Passing round him like he was a training cone. This boy is dreadful. If he was 21, sure give him time but he is 25. He belongs at afc Bury not title chasing United.

Blood Mage

Think people are not giving us the credit we deserve. We’re playing for 8th spot, getting closer with every passing game, and not even raised suspicions yet.
6th is already nailed on unless West Ham can get a result against City.

Yakuza_devils

We got a gegenpressing godfather as manager but we're being properly gegenpressed by Brighton.

Brighton is so exciting to watch. Hope that ETH can play this way.

ExoduS

I mean what to say anymore? We keep thinking it can't get any worse and we keep getting a proof that it can get worse. 4-0 to Brighton? What is happening with us?

Yakuza_devils

Honestly, looking at bright side, at least I really enjoyed the game yesterday watching Brighton play exciting attacking football.

Ok seriously, this gives me hope that ETH can implement a modern attacking style of play without the need to spend 400 to 500 mil. If Brighton can do it with a proper coach and mediocre players I don't see why ETH can't do it in Man Utd, fingers crossed.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
We need this season to end so badly. I don't think I've ever seen a so-called top team turn into such a shambolic mess as this.

Erik and his team need to strap in and be given time to purge us of the rot that has set deep within this club.

justboy68

ETH is walking into an absolute burning heap of shit. He will get time but I just hope he's prepared.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I hope one day we could play as well as Brighton did against us.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I hate it when I agree with Souness but he was right when he said there seems to be no senior pro stepping up to help the manager, that for 10 years footballing decisions have been awful but most of all that he is pretty certain there are some very bad eggs in the dressing room...

There's a chance we'll finish 7th now? I can't believe the club are jeopardising the chances of at least getting some Euro League football next season. Disgusting season this. Disgusting.

Denis79

I hope we qualify for the Europa Conference League. From the official Uefa site:

The winners of the UEFA Europa Conference League will take home a brand new trophy weighing 11kg. Qualification to next season's superior UEFA Europa League is also on offer to the Conference League winners.

How is that not tempting?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Im glad the F1 practice was on, I switched off at 1 down, knew then this team wasnt making it back into the game and Brigton had more about them as a team unit.

AndySmith1990

Shows how fall we've fallen when we get battered 4-0 by Brighton and most fans just shrug it off or laugh because it's not a shock result anymore. There was a time such a result would ruin my weekend, and I'd dwell on it all week.

Its just shameful really how badly this club has been run and how piss poor the team building has been by previous managers. I'll never understand how such a big organisation can get it so wrong for so long. It's dangerously close to feeling like deliberate sabotage at times.

Ekeke

We've let the hard workers who liked to actually defend leave the club, or dropped them out of the team and havent replaced them. They were always making up for the lack of effort and honest work from teammates and in Ander's case, whenever he was in the team he had the character to fire up the players alongside him and they would be putting their foot in more often too.

Now we have a bunch of players who are far more interested in whats going on when we have the ball than when we dont have it, but dont make more happen going forward than the players posters were scapegoating for our poor football for years.

If caf maths had any basis in reality we should be scoring 4 goals a game now we that we dont have Jones, Smalling and Ander starting for us and being the reason we play poorly. We dont and we concede as many as we score.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We've let the hard workers who liked to actually defend leave the club, or dropped them out of the team and havent replaced them. They were always making up for the lack of effort and honest work from teammates and in Ander's case, whenever he was in the team he had the character to fire up the players alongside him and they would be putting their foot in more often too.

Now we have a bunch of players who are far more interested in whats going on when we have the ball than when we dont have it, but dont make more happen going forward than the players posters were scapegoating for our poor football for years.

If caf maths had any basis in reality we should be scoring 4 goals a game now we that we dont have Jones, Smalling and Ander starting for us and being the reason we play poorly. We dont and we concede as many as we score.
:lol:

Yeah, if only Hererra and Smalling were still here everything would be hunky dory.

Did it occur to you that were also shit when they were still in the team, surrounded by far better players than anyone in our squad right now?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
ETH is walking into an absolute burning heap of shit. He will get time but I just hope he's prepared.
This is why we have to start the overhaul this summer. No “assessing the squad”. Ralf can tell him who the snakes are. 12 out, 7 in. We need that level of turnaround and fans will be much more patient with the new players as they start to gel than they would with the same players serving up the same old shit.

IRN-BRUno

Shameful performance, terrible management and extremely lucky that Brighton for some reason decided to take it easy after the 4th.

MoM was probably Welbeck who did his best to keep the score respectable.

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 216 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 16% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd