FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Brighton & Hove Albion 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 April 2023

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Really impressed with that Scottish guy Alec McAlistair. I'm amazed he never gets selected for the national team. Just as good as McGinn and McTominay, in my opinion, if not better.
This is surely a WUM post but if not, the guy's an Argentinian WC winner :lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We also didn't get stuck in enough, or work hard enough. When the Utd players got frustrated with the ref, as we all did, they did start to do this. So I think we need to up the desire, get angry almost. Ferguson's teams always had that aggression. And Brighton had that more than us for large stretches yesterday.
We started with Rashford and Martial who only did half-arsed press. So that's two players less than Brighton already. Then Eriksen isn't a powerful pressing machine either.

Then Casemiro's was taken out by ref's ridiculous yellow card, early in the game.

It's hard to compete with those shackles.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That’s a crazy stat. To me we’re just a much better team against tough opponents with Fred on the pitch. The Eriksen/Cas combo is lovely when we want to unlock weaker teams but it’s horrible when we’re going to get put under intense pressure (e.g. Sevilla away). I don’t really understand why ETH seems to have this blind spot but no doubt his massive bald brain has its reasons.
Because it becomes easier to defend against us. With Case and Fred there, our only big creativity source is Bruno. None of our attackers are creative, unless the perma-crock Martial plays.

They either just need to mark out Bruno, or expecting ball to attackers every time Bruno has the ball.

That's why EtH encourage Case to be more creative, but it's hard to teach an old dog of new trick. Case was just a DM with Modric and Kroos taking that job for years.

captaincantona

Not sure why all the plaudits for Brightons football is coming from - the commentator was comparing them to Man City. They are decent but let’s be clear - we played with the most pathetic tempo and press I have seen in a long while - it was a stroll for them.

lost count of the amount of times their 2 CBs and deepest midfielder played triangles around one pressing attacker …others just kind of strolling to cut off lines. Rinse and repeat…ball into feet of an attacker dropping deep…same old same old…sometimes we man marked him and chased him into midfield and pressured him but not enough to make them rethink. Ball around the corner but more often than not to no one. Then for us - So many long balls - at Dunk and Webster!!! Jesus talk about bread and butter. We were shite and still had multiple chances.

Essentially, we allowed Brighton to play and they came up with very little. Fair play to them budget wise and confidence wise this season and as I said - decent footballing side…real PL quality. But they are like Arsenal at the start of this season, not good enough for teams to completely adapt and neutralise them so they are in a comfortable halfway house where they can beat lesser sides and catch out bigger teams that won’t adjust to counteract their strengths…

we never even tried to impose ourselves so the level that Brighton showed is really just expected of a PL side. We were just bodies on the field at times on Sunday. A fully fit side don’t let Brighton feel so comfortable in the first place.

I would worry for us without fresh legs to execute ETHs plan cause we can’t carry 4 or 5 unfit/undisciplined players in ANY game and expect a good performance.

Varane back for the final with Lindelof, Shaw back to fullback, Cas,Fred behind Bruno, a fit Rashford, Antony and Garnacho. Complete different energy on the pitch. Sunday was a stressful dirge orf a game.

Last edited:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Excellent defensive performance proving the point I've been saying for ages: Lindelof is not the problem. Easily my MoM although I guess most went for the easy option of DDG (two very good saves, the rest you'd expect him to make). Shaw was also very good and this was by far AWB's best game for United, both defensively and going forward. Dalot was steady too.

On the other side of the coin, Rashford was very quiet and we didn't get hm into the game, Martial was non-existent as usual.

Bruno outstanding in the first half but did fade about 10-15 mins into second. Fred did a really good job defensively when he came on. Have to admit, Brighton look a very good side - I actually thought they'd struggle this season but Potter leaving probably turned out to be a good thing for them - certainly better than chelsea got!

I really hate penalties but we seem to be getting better at them, only Rashford worried me for some reason: had an awful feeling he was going to miss. So glad that lindelof got the winner... and that it didn't go down to the keepers this time!

Antony did a lot of good work tracking back and looked a threat... I think he's going to turn out well for us

Moriarty

:lol:

Yes. I was there.
Too pissed to remember how I got to where I was in the morning.
I remember a bunch of us walking past Victoria Station in London that night and bumping into two Scousers. They had about £2 between them and they were trying to get to Rome for the European Cup final. Their plan was to get to Calais then hitch-hike down from there. They didn't even have match tickets. We had a whip-round for them because we were feeling generous and, for dippers, they were good lads.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I remember a bunch of us walking past Victoria Station in London that night and bumping into two Scousers. They had about £2 between them and they were trying to get to Rome for the European Cup final. Their plan was to get to Calais then hitch-hike down from there. They didn't even have match tickets. We had a whip-round for them because we were feeling generous and, for dippers, they were good lads.
you have a heart of gold mate.

always_hoping

Decent quote by the Manchester Evening News.

"Keeping a clean sheet against Brighton this season is something to take heart from; it’s something Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal have failed to do.

Manchester United’s achievement is made more impressive by several factors, including the fact that they kept the Seagulls out for 120 minutes. The personnel in United’s makeshift backline makes the feat even greater"

York

Except for the glaring fact that it ended up being a perfect pass to Enciso who easily should've put it in.
Right. And guess who forced Enciso to adjust his shot from 20+ yards out? That's right, a sliding Wan-Bissaka on the carry through from his world class pocket picking of Mitoma. According to you 23/24 yard shots with multiple defenders in your way are gimmes? Yawn.

Man of the Match

Victor Lindelof image Victor Lindelof 63% of 313 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw