PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2023

sirAlexsglasses

what the feck…..was Shaw playing at, there was absolutely no need for the handball, I’m saying it because I’ve thought this for a couple of weeks. We are weak mentally and Liverpool are running into form, we have a tough set of fixtures and I do not trust us not to royally feck up top four.

DavelinaJolie

Thought the first half we had a couple of great chances to score and seemed pretty composed.

Second half it all went to crap and they waltzed through the midfield like it wasn't there.

How Casemiro didn't see Red I'll never know.

Betson

No complaints , only one team wanted and went for win in the 2nd half.

Too often we meekly slump in these games.

ETH was asked about our awful away record to teams in the top half of the table and he said going away and winning against good teams it was abort character.

But you can't coach character , and too many of our players have shown over the last few years they just don't have it.

Heinzesight

Decent striker and we are out of sight by HT.

Terrible second half and a poor ref didn’t help and both commentators dying for a Brighton win. Special mention to that utter cnut Alan Smith.

Posters obsessed with us ‘choking’. We played one decent half of football which is what this team do. Should be used to it by now.

Dive for the free kick leading to their goal which all the choke obesessors need to remember.

I Am Zlatan

Very frustrating, subpar second half, first half was decent, if we can finish our chances we’ll be in a much better place, especially when we ourselves give so many chances to opposition teams.

Also feck off glazers, we have to rely on players like Wout, instead of strengthening with better players in January.

Flying_Heckfish

So tired of repeating myself. We can't take our chances... Had 3 or 4 good chances early on and fluffed em.

Then second half, again we come out like we forgot how to play, very lucky not to concede. Brighton ended up deserving it overall.

Second string are not up to it, especially Wout... he needs to be fired into the sun, brings absolutely nothing, actively makes us even worse.

It's not all on the players though, ETH also has questions to answer over the away form and the second half performances.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Dunk pulling Shaw off balance leads the hands in an unnatural position.. the sort of thing referees just don’t take in to account. fecking pathetic. This Brighton loving is getting on my tits as well, you’d think they were the second coming of Barcelona the way sky are wanking them off. Shit night.
This is why showing a still image and one frame either side of it just doesn’t tell the whole story. Looking at it in isolation, it’s obviously hit his hand. But he doesn’t just have his arm in the air for no reason, you need the context.

RedIan

We did ok first half and then did sod all second. Gutting to lose in that manner but Shaw you are an idiot doing that. Lack of height in defence i guess.

Eric_the_Red99

Since the League Cup win it’s been almost relegation form from us. Players look like they’ve checked out for the season.

Woodzy

We need goalscorers. Poor second half.

A draw would have been fair up until the last 10 minutes or so when Brighton really stepped it up.

Brighton are a great team, I’m just finding hard to stand the arse licking.

Top 4 should still be fine.

sparx99

Can’t complain. Didn’t do enough. Liverpool smell blood
4th won’t even be close. Liverpool are more likely to catch Newcastle than us given the fixtures we’ve got left.

If we were 4pts behind them and they had a game in hand would you have any hope of catching them? A 5pt lead before Christmas has been shown to be basically uncatchable.

The Dane

Brighton is a really good team. No shame in losing points here, but it hurts when it happens in the last minute.

JagUTD

Gutted.

Great game of football, bizzare way to lose but we've done it ourselves before.

Still in a great position so people need to relax. 4 points ahead, a game in hand, 4 of our last 5 games against teams with nothing to play for.

Still gutted mind.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
we need a striker and midfielder still, genuinely wouldnt mind macallister next to Casemiro

MonkeysMagic

At this point I can only feel sorry for ETH that he has to work with the utter dross that are some Utd players. Primary school.children have a better mentality than these so called professionals. Why am.i never surprised that they continue to find utterly incomprehensible ways to lose.

Rustyspider13

Absolutely horrible way to lose a game. And it came from a non freekick too. We matched them in the first half, but couldn't in the second. We simply don't have the legs to match high pressure teams for 90 mins. But we did enough for the draw, Brighton didn't have a clear chance in the second half, even with all their possession. The story of the season remains intact-if only our forwards could score.

Gorse Hill Red

Why do we do this in the 2nd half of every away game. A complete brain fart from Shaw cost us a valuable point.
I really can’t put my finger on our away form.

Dazzmondo

Liverpool only 4 points behind now. If we miss out on top 4 I'm going to be furious

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Sickening end to the game.

Brighton now firmly on my shit list. Constantly fouling with no consequences. And the shite ref.

Terrible night.

Ludens the Red

Got lucky in the semi but they’re a much much better football team than us. We just happen to have better players which is why we’re above them in the table (at the moment)

always_hoping

Should have been a well earned draw. Real frustrating defeat and just typical that Brighton would win with a penalty in the 99th minute when beaten on penalties in Wembley. Not sure what Shaw was at but he was arguably man of the match before giving away that penalty.

I'd fear those wasted opportunities by Martial, Rashford 1st half would come back to haunt and that's how it turned out.

9 points still required to finish top 4, need to bounce back against West Ham on Sunday with a win.

Somebody had better call out Marriner in the post match interviews. Shocking performance from him which cost us the game with the non foul from Shaw to start that penalty sequence.

siw2007

Sickening blow that one. We defended really well and one slip up has undone us. Worst of all, we looked dead on our feet there and we’ve still got a lot to play for.

From looking like top 4 was going to be likely, Liverpool’s shadow is now lurking in the background. We cannot let them catch us, there has to be a response from the team, there has to be a win at West Ham!!

Withnail

All they showed the ref is a still image. What's the point of VAR if they never show the full context of an incident?
Something's just occured to me. It may be old news but is this an effort to minimise the amount of time the ref spends at the screen. It's wrong-headed if so. As you say you don't get a full picture of the incident.

redshaw

Created good chances in the first half but as always we're struggling to score. Another weak as piss second half.

Cloud7

Our away form is quite concerning.

At least our home form is good enough to see us over the line this season. Hopefully.

Going forward, however, we won't achieve anything serious until we sort out what happens when we play away from home.

Hughie77

Sky celebrating the penalty. Wow! They really hate us don't they?
Yes they do because its Brightons night, from get go, with there cameras in dressing room on players etc, the 5 mins added and he plays 6 ?? Ffs .

moodyred

We don't have anyone who can come off the bench and win us games. I can't even blame maguire for this loss.

Ceteris

£200 million spent and this is what we serve up against Brighton?

Yes they have been good this season

Where is our midfield?
Where is our passing?
What are our tactics?
We going to blame principles again?

Joke of a team, no win away from home against a top 8 team all season

We were not attacking this game but everytime they come forward we are out of position and midfielders jogging back

We shouldn't be hanging on in games against mid table teams, happens every game

Our second half is always poor and this manager hasn't shown any sign of fixing it before we come out in the second half or during the game

He just stands there silent, he should be tearing into some players during the game

Fred gives the ball away and lies on the floor grinning

How many times did Dalot play a pass short

Bruno, Rashford, Martial missing in the second half.

We lost most of the 50/50 balls today

Absolutely no bottle in this team

Last edited:

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
That corner came from a free kick that shouldn’t have been given. So yes, he did
Could have easily sent off Casemiro and Antony as well but he didn't. It's absolutely a deserved loss. Regardless of the ref. We were utterly embarrassing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
thought we deserved a draw: better team in the first half and defended well in the second but we again failed to take quite decent chances: rashford and martial in the first half should have done better. martial continues to be a totally waste of oxygen.

Midfield faded in second half, barely saw bruno. but feel cheated because it was never a free kick in the lead up to the goal: mariner was fekin dreadful throughout. Sancho did nothing when he came on.

shaw, apart from the penalty, and lindelof (again) had good games. DDG with some very dodgy balls out from the back again.

It's a joke that brighton think they deserved that and alan smith usually talks more sense.

we could yet like fekin scousers in. definitely need arsenal to beat newcastle at the weekend because given our away form we could lose at west ham

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 186 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd