PL L FA Premier League

Brighton & Hove Albion 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 May 2023

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wetting themselves over Brighton alright and that was no foul by Shaw before the corner that led to the goal so a big rub of the green for them. Had United won in that manner there would be some crying about it.

For all the so-called chances Brighton got the best one they got came from a United error and came off De Geas head. They didn't get chances like the ones Martial, Bruno and Rashford got and wasted.
Did Brighton even have a shot on goal from inside the box, except for the pen? I didn't bother with the post match, these arseholes cannot wait to see us lose and push a real top 4 race.

automaticflare

So you are saying Brighton are better than us and we should just accept that we did the best we could.
no I’m saying your assessment in your original post is not correct. You can’t have players who play well for 2 games out of 10 and then think that is acceptable and better than Brighton. That is what the majority of our team playing today was. The rest of the players who are better than Brighton are either injured (Varane and Martinez) or being flogged by having to play every minute of every game with little to no support (Bruno and Casemiro)

we have also played 35 games since the World Cup without a break

so the thought that you have a bunch of imposters who have been around years because club is mediocre

a team getting slaughtered by the fixture list

a team who best players cannot get a breather

and a club who obviously knew we had massive deficiencies after January but got 2 loan players in because they wouldn’t pay

is feckin no way better on paper than Brighton at this point in the season

Still after all that

we should have been 2 up and had 2 great chances up front which were missed by players with IMO weak mentalities

BorisManUtd

Losing a game in the last minute always feels like a kick in the stomach.

We’ll have to get over this result quickly. Another game in 3 days and then will (for a change) play one game a week for couple of weeks.

Have to forget this one and move on.

Oscar Bonavena

At least only two away league games to play and no more top 9 teams to play.
Mate, I wouldn't back us to beat anyone away from home at the moment, not even West Ham or Bournemouth. I'm hoping we can somehow sneak 3 or 4 points from 2 away games because we can't keep hanging our hat on winning all our games in OT.

OrcaFat

Let's be honest for all of Sky pulling their trousers down and wanking over Brighton they won the game due to a fluke penalty that nobody saw but Var, which came from a shockingly bad referee decision to give a free for nothing.
The game was petering out to a nil nil draw before then.
Yeah we were poor in the second half but we didn't deserve that in the end.
Yeah it’s BS. A point would have been fair but there was a time when we used to beat these little teams.

Martinez is a huge loss. He knows how to hurt people without getting sent off. We need more guys like him imo. SAF’s first team was built to be hard and take zero shit from anyone. We’re a bit soft these days.

Pjisared

no I’m saying your assessment in your original post is not correct. You can’t have players who play well for 2 games out of 10 and then think that is acceptable and better than Brighton. That is what the majority of our team playing today was. The rest of the players who are better than Brighton are either injured (Varane and Martinez) or being flogged by having to play every minute of every game with little to no support (Bruno and Casemiro)

we have also played 35 games since the World Cup without a break

so the thought that you have a bunch of imposters who have been around years because club is mediocre

a team getting slaughtered by the fixture list

a team who best players cannot get a breather

and a club who obviously knew we had massive deficiencies after January but got 2 loan players in because they wouldn’t pay

is feckin no way better on paper than Brighton at this point in the season

Still after all that

we should have been 2 up and had 2 great chances up front which were missed by players with IMO weak mentalities
I agree with your point that we have played more games than most other clubs and we look knackered. But ETH has to take a good portion of blame. Anybody could see that in 2nd half we stopped competing, but he never made a sub until after 70 minutes, Brightonhad already made 3 subs by then.

Last edited:

Waynne

Seeing us pinned down in our box by Brighton hanging on for dear life. Just sad. I expected more from ETH to be honest
We don't have the players able to play the way he wants us to play.

Martial - sick note
Jones - permanent sick note
Maguire - words don't exist to explain this guy
Lindelof - wank
Van De Beek - wank
Fred - wank
Weghorst - utterly wank
McTominay - wank
De Gea ?

That's how many players that should be bringing their bit to the team.
Can maybe also add in Wan Bissaka and Dalot to that lot.

You can't build a team with these jokers. Least not against any PL side that is even slightly organized in attack and defence. Like Rangnick said, we need open heart surgery in this club and it won't take 2-3 years. It will be much longer than that.

Wing Attack Plan R

That was some shit. We have to get to the point where we finish our chances in the first half, because every second half is us clinging by our fingernails. Subs this time were too late, but I think they were the right subs, considering. I would have started Sabitzer over Fred, we looked instantly better when he came on. We were missing an extra brain out there, without Eriksen.

I thought we were the better team, too, don't know why everyone is wanking themselves silly over Brighton's play. Should have been 3 goals to the good at half time.

Anyway, wasn't a foul by Shaw at the end, ref should have blown before the handball. Yes, Shaw touched it but it's one of those where the player knows nothing about it. How are you supposed to jump in traffic, like you're doing the pogo?

Not impressed with any of the players in blue and white today. Mitoma was direct and took players on, but he's as one-footed as Antony. Not impressed with Caicedo or McAllister.

As a team, we look tired. Passes under hit, passes off target, no composure in the box. feck the winter world cup, feck international friendlies, and feck this schedule.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I hope you don’t mind, but I’m cross-posting this from the now largely dead match thread. Mods - apologies if this is against the rules and I will delete.

Just home from the match.

Good game tonight, once again very evenly matched. In first half your lads edged it and were set up beautifully to manage how we play. You weren’t drawn into the press, held a very solid shape and hit us fast and early over the top into the channels, which is the perfect way to play against us. You could tell this was designed by Ten Hag, and worked perfectly.

Antony/Mitoma very early chances aside, we bossed possession and territory as expected, but Rashford looked extremely dangerous on the break and you could’ve easily gone in 2/3-1 up at half time.

I thought we were fully on top in the second half, however. Your lads’ mentality was not right in the second half. Martial, in particular, had terrible body language and frankly looked gassed.

Two very evenly matched games considering the cup semi final, both matches could’ve gone either way, so a “win each” is about right for the par.

A quick note on the referee Mariner, who had a very poor game. We got away with several bookings (Gilmour in particular stands out), and Casemiro could’ve easily seen a second yellow card.

The one that stood out though was Antony’s hack. As a guest on your forum and a football lover I pride myself in being polite and fair, but quite how anyone could argue that wasn’t a straight red card is beyond me. It is violent conduct rather than serious foul play, and he was extremely lucky to only see a yellow.

But as I say, he was poor for both sides. The penalty (given by VAR) was pretty much indisputable.

All the best for the rest of the season guys.

- UTARetro

Realist08

Poor second half performance and again such a drop off from the first. Never a free kick, blatant handball and a gut wrenching way to lose the game. Our fault.

As terrible as our away form has been and despite the amount of losses, the one thing we have always done is bounce back strong after a defeat. The response needs to be big and is damn well expected.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
What’s the story with Sonny March and his corners? They weren’t within the marking or even on the line?
It really annoys me too. Along with the diving: both Mitoma and Rashford had shocking dives in this match. I just don’t like to see cheating whether from my own players or anyone else’s.

Waynne

Will take years to get this team to anywhere close to challenging for the title.

Martial
Maguire
Lindelof
Wan Bissaka
Fred
McTominay
Van De Beek
Jones
Wout

Who else is there? De Gea, Dalot?

Which one of these would walk into City or Real Madrid?

Will take a long time to clear out these passengers. Give the manager the time he needs to get rid.

OrcaFat

Will take years to get this team to anywhere close to challenging for the title.

Martial
Maguire
Lindelof
Wan Bissaka
Fred
McTominay
Van De Beek
Jones
Wout

Who else is there? De Gea, Dalot?

Which one of these would walk into City or Real Madrid?

Will take a long time to clear out these passengers. Give the manager the time he needs to get rid.
I don’t think he’ll get time. He has to do what he can this summer and make substantial progress with what he’s got otherwise he’ll be fired I would think.

OrcaFat

I predicted we’d have 35% possession and we did a bit better than that. Also predicted we’d sneak a win. Didn’t work out. Aw, never mind.

Redderp

Garbage subs yet again. We should have brought Eriksen on instead of either Martial or Antony. I think we needed another player in midfield. Then Rashford could play striker or Bruno on the wings. Sabitzer, Sancho and especially Weghorst were useless subs and just made us worse.

I can’t stand EtHs fascination with Weghorst. He is so fecking bad.

Hammondo

Seeing us pinned down in our box by Brighton hanging on for dear life. Just sad. I expected more from ETH to be honest
We are pretty poor technically in all positions, I would not say a single player we have is stand out, its going to take a while.

Care_de_Bobo

A quick note on the referee Mariner, who had a very poor game. We got away with several bookings (Gilmour in particular stands out), and Casemiro could’ve easily seen a second yellow card.

The one that stood out though was Antony’s hack. As a guest on your forum and a football lover I pride myself in being polite and fair, but quite how anyone could argue that wasn’t a straight red card is beyond me. It is violent conduct rather than serious foul play, and he was extremely lucky to only see a yellow.

But as I say, he was poor for both sides. The penalty (given by VAR) was pretty much indisputable.

- UTARetro
When you see the replay of the Anthony tackle you'll see it was never a red card, wouldn't have even got to that point had the ref blown for either of the fouls on Rashford or Anthony seconds earlier. The penalty may be indisputable, but it was never a foul in the build up from Shaw. Ridiculous decision and stopped a United break.

Also claiming Casemiro should have been sent off after the amount of yellows your players get away with is a but rich. Brighton are a deceptively dirty team who are masters of the tactical foul and condtsntly get away with it.

Actually felt sorry for them with a few of the bad calls they had earlier in the season, but after paying closer attention to their player's antics I've lost any sympathy I had for them. It's shame as they do play some decent football at times.

iHicksy

I hope you don’t mind, but I’m cross-posting this from the now largely dead match thread. Mods - apologies if this is against the rules and I will delete.

Just home from the match.

Good game tonight, once again very evenly matched. In first half your lads edged it and were set up beautifully to manage how we play. You weren’t drawn into the press, held a very solid shape and hit us fast and early over the top into the channels, which is the perfect way to play against us. You could tell this was designed by Ten Hag, and worked perfectly.

Antony/Mitoma very early chances aside, we bossed possession and territory as expected, but Rashford looked extremely dangerous on the break and you could’ve easily gone in 2/3-1 up at half time.

I thought we were fully on top in the second half, however. Your lads’ mentality was not right in the second half. Martial, in particular, had terrible body language and frankly looked gassed.

Two very evenly matched games considering the cup semi final, both matches could’ve gone either way, so a “win each” is about right for the par.

- UTARetro
Thanks for this - more rival fans like you would be most welcome in my opinion! Great post.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
When you see the replay of the Anthony tackle you'll see it was never a red card, wouldn't have even got to that point had the ref blown for either of the fouls on Rashford or Anthony seconds earlier. The penalty may be indisputable, but it was never a foul in the build up from Shaw. Ridiculous decision and stopped a United break.

Also claiming Casemiro should have been sent off after the amount of yellows your players get away with is a but rich. Brighton are a deceptively dirty team who are masters of the tactical foul and condtsntly get away with it.

Actually felt sorry for them with a few of the bad calls they had earlier in the season, but after paying closer attention to their player's antics I've lost any sympathy I had for them. It's shame as they do play some decent football at times.
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry you disagree so vehemently in your views; but that is the beauty of football I suppose. Even neutrals don’t agree!

In my opinion this incident is a straight red, and I would angry at my player for doing it;

https://gifyu.com/image/SnMH1

As for Casemiro’s potential second yellow card, I feel the player was very fortunate on this occasion to avoid being sent off. As you’ll see in my post above, I felt the referee had a poor game and should’ve booked a couple of Brighton players, which he didn’t. Any question of bias - on this occasion - is hard to prove as Mariner gave astonishingly poor decisions both ways.

Thank you for your view and input.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Thanks for this - more rival fans like you would be most welcome in my opinion! Great post.
It is my pleasure. Congratulations on the semi final win against us and good luck for the rest of the season. - UTARetro

always_hoping

Mate, I wouldn't back us to beat anyone away from home at the moment, not even West Ham or Bournemouth. I'm hoping we can somehow sneak 3 or 4 points from 2 away games because we can't keep hanging our hat on winning all our games in OT.
Beat maybe not but were seconds away from getting a point against Brighton tonight and drew with Tottenham last week and both are better than West Ham and Bournemouth.

Loon

:lol:
Wow, Roberto Di Zerbi is an ungracious cnut. I don’t give a feck I spelt his name wrong.

KanieKaned

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry you disagree so vehemently in your views; but that is the beauty of football I suppose. Even neutrals don’t agree!

In my opinion this incident is a straight red, and I would angry at my player for doing it;

As for Casemiro’s potential second yellow card, I feel the player was very fortunate on this occasion to avoid being sent off. As you’ll see in my post above, I felt the referee had a poor game and should’ve booked a couple of Brighton players, which he didn’t. Any question of bias - on this occasion - is hard to prove as Mariner gave astonishingly poor decisions both ways.

Pretty much nailed it there mate. I thought Antony was gone the second he made that wild kick. Casemiro was very lucky, Shithousery everywhere, but that's the game. I love watching you's and tremble playing you's. Quality team. Hope you make Europe.

Born2Lose

Deserved to lose, gutless, lazy performance yet again.

Brighton look more like an SAF team than this current lot ever have.

glasgow 21

So kicking ones legs along the side the the opponent with little or no contact is a red card for anthony . That will make it 3 red cards for Caicedo for deliberately stamping on Bruno's foot then, and don't tell me your guys were not targeting his feet and ankles due to his previous issues. Also seeing that you are so good at videos can you post the clear fouls on Rashford and Antony 30 secs before your post above ? oh thats right Sky didnt re-run them. Was that a pre-match deal so you allowed cameras into your dressing room?

Oscar Bonavena

This is dreadful.
It's a record you'd expect from a team bottom of the table. In fact, I'm pretty certain Southampton's record against the top half away from home is better than ours. I know they've drawn in Old Trafford and the Emirates this season so those results alone put them ahead of us in that regard!

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Are we surprised or shocked by the defeat today? I'm not. This was always going to be a tough game - Brighton are an excellent team and, unsurprisingly, they were fired up for this one - probably more than we were. People banging on about our 2nd half performances of late - we're feckin exhausted. We have played so many games this season and our squad is just not good enough - decent first 11, but no depth. We're still on course to exceed many of our preseason expectations. If we get top 4, which I still think we will, and get a trophy, maybe two if we can shock City, we will have had a brilliant season. Patience required.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Pretty much nailed it there mate. I thought Antony was gone the second he made that wild kick. Casemiro was very lucky, Shithousery everywhere, but that's the game. I love watching you's and tremble playing you's. Quality team. Hope you make Europe.
Thank you. Good luck in the Final.

NZT-One

So kicking ones legs along the side the the opponent with little or no contact is a red card for anthony . That will make it 3 red cards for Caicedo for deliberately stamping on Bruno's foot then, and don't tell me your guys were not targeting his feet and ankles due to his previous issues. Also seeing that you are so good at videos can you post the clear fouls on Rashford and Antony 30 secs before your post above ? oh thats right Sky didnt re-run them. Was that a pre-match deal so you allowed cameras into your dressing room?
Get some fresh air mate. He is a fan of todays opponent. He presented his views from tonights game from having been in the stadium.

If you want to be mad at the ref, do so. But lets not act as if there is whole wide secret society out there only to stop United to get to the top. Thats RAWK-level ludicrus'ness.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Outplayed, and they weren't even at full strength. Big summer needed just to keep pace with Brighton, let alone the rest.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
We won't beat City without our top CB's
I think it’ll be a tough game regardless, but you’re a hell of a lot better with Lindelöf or Shaw than Maguire, in my opinion. Both looked quality in both games (Shaw brain fart at the end aside) - the problem is Manchester City are just that good.

Everything will have to go your way - but it just might!

meamth

Simply not good enough.

Forget Haaland, I swear if City players got all those chances in the first half they would've buried it 4-0 no mercy.

Our finishing has been poor since SAF retired.

Player Ratings

5.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 186 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Brighton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Brighton 1:1 Man Utd