PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Brighton & Hove Albion

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 September 2023

mu4c_20le

The last 10 minutes of the match felt like ETH was inspired by FM’s All Out Attack and I swear there was no balance and no idea behind that system change :confused:
Watching Bruno getting caught out at cb was both amusing and horrifying

Hammondo

Those are called options. What’s your fecking malfunction? Those players were absent. You think Ten Hag drew it up in the tactics room that Bruno was going to play CB? Give over.
Because it wouldn't make much difference, you are clutching at straws.

b20times

He just needs time to put his stamp on the club and the team, please don't let this turn out like the 5 or 6 previous managers as this guy has got the minerals.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Too bad we didn't score in the first 15 minutes. That would have changed the whole game. That being said, Brighton were the better team after the first 15 and deserved the win.

Casemiro used to be a commanding presence for any team he played for. I'm not sure he can be that sort of player anymore and good teams usually have a DM who just controls his area and everyone can count on. Without a commanding Casemiro this is going to be a long season.
Exactly. We are not clinical. Look at their goals. Bang, bang, bang. Game over. Then they just kept the ball in a controlled fashion. Easy win for them in the end.

miked99

I thought we played really well early on, maybe 15 minutes or so until they scored. But then you think "how many shots have we had? How many saves has their keeper had to make?".

And the answer is "barely any". This has been an issue for years now. We need so much dominance and so many attacks to fashion a true goalscoring opportunity.

Then add in the fact we're so easy to play through and it's a recipe for losing games.

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
He just needs time to put his stamp on the club and the team, please don't let this turn out like the 5 or 6 previous managers as this guy has got the minerals.
No manager who condones what Rashford does week in week out will be a success at any club ever

wolvored

I remember 73/74. Everyone said we were too good to go down...yet it happened. At this stage thats a long way off, but so is top 5. God knows what will happen in the Ch Lge playing like this. We will be out of it after 4 games, unless we buckle up.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Positive = regulion looked like Roberto Carlos at times

Negatives = pretty much everything. What makes it worse was when we went two down, players are just jogging about, taking their time over free kicks without a care in the world.

EI Beatle

Worst United start to a season since 14-15 under Van Gaal, Another Ten Hag record for the books Vs Brighton P3/L3

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I was unable to get any sense of well being from this match. Usually when we lose I am able to appreciate the opponent's skill. E.g. when we lose next to a big team, I can jeer the United players.

But today Brighton were nothing special, while we were awful. Maybe I was numbed from listening to too many Yakui the Maid albums on my phone. They are a good instrumental band.

We were way better when playing against Arsenal. I expected to draw 1-1 today, but got worried at the body language of the team just before and during the minute of silence.

Weird match, this, today.

I forgot the United fan who took me to task some weeks ago when I said Rashford had regressed. I hope he is not too surprised at his performance.

Finally, I am equally mystified by the zombie like lame insults and hyperbole and 'jokes', being aimed at the team, the manager etc. It is as if these messasges were the product of bad A.I. Anyway, looking forward to a less time wasting day tomorrow.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Positive = regulion looked like Roberto Carlos at times

Negatives = pretty much everything. What makes it worse was when we went two down, players are just jogging about, taking their time over free kicks without a care in the world.
Think the thing with our players is when they go two down they lose confidence far too quickly and they forget everything they have been told. It is not good. They don't get angry enough with themselves in a good way, not moaning and groaning, but pride kicking in.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
As long as Rashford can get away with playing for himself we aren't getting anywhere up front.

He needs to stop thinking he's the 'main man'.

Moreover, I hate what a soft, gut-less team we've become. Bunch of overpaid primadonnas.
This but be prepared to be bashed by his followers and maybe we'll even have his PR team come out and put some statements tomorrow.

We're never winning the league/becoming a serious contender for the title with Rashford as an automatic starter in the team.

He is the epitome of a moments player, who will have net negative output for 90 mins (terrible at the following: pressing, challenges, simple passes, correct passes to the right person etc.), but every 1-2 games he'll get a goal/assist/penalty due to his skill/talent which will cover his flaws. Rinse and repeat.

Put a good talented winger who plays for the team instead of Rashford (like Saka, Martinelli, Mane at liverpool days, Mahrez) and our general play/chance creation doubles. Instantly our pressing improves, our play becomes quicker and more fluid, and our chance creation for the other forwards increases.

Hammondo

Riiiiiight. Having first choice players available wouldn’t make a difference. Okay. Why didn’t you say so earlier?
They are not much better than what we played, or in some cases worse. You are the only I can see making such an excuse.

Barthez

This exactly but the Caf wants a new toy it would seem.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You’re ignoring that these players were brought in and improved the squad. Mount is an upgrade on McTominay. Amrabat is an improvement on second half Casemiro/Eriksen. These are not controversial opinions.
They're not actually proven in the slightest yet though.
Mount has had a couple of non entity performances and then got injured .
Amrabat is already injured and hasn't played 1min in a new league

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Hi all. Brighton fan here, and regular poster to the Cafe - the only opposition fan forum I am a member of (I find the people here more informed) and a regular contributor. Just setting off on a supporters bus home.

Firstly, I thought you dominated the first twenty minutes, until we scored against the run of play. It was a nice move, but very similar to one which we’d threatened from about 5 minutes earlier. Namely, Adingra running onto a long pass past your left back, Reguilón (who did okay otherwise). Nothing came of the first one, but the second one was almost identical.

You came flying out of the blocks and any noise our fans made was dwarfed by the atmosphere in the ground from your fans - and your players were buzzed. The first goal killed all that.

After that, I thought we largely took control - until your disallowed goal, which looking back was a superb finish. From my view, I had accepted it as a goal against the run of play (much as ours was), until the VAR check. I won’t comment on the decision to overrule it for obvious reasons.

What surprised me was I expecting something more of a raucous atmosphere in the second half from the Stretford End, similar to how it was when we played you last season, but it was completely flat.

We came into our own and largely controlled the second half, and I was surprised by the lack of response from the stadium, the manager and players. I was expecting a crunching tackle to happen, or chasing down a throw in, or something to rile the atmosphere a little.

Our second goal was well taken, but I was at the time (and subsequently having watched highlights back) remain unsure about your defending. I don’t blame Martinez for Groß’s swerve fooling him, he had to commit in the moment because there was nobody else. If he hadn’t and had attempted a dummy, he’d be hammered with criticism for not committing - in my view.

The third goal, as you pressed forward, seemed to have killed the game. Lamptey had nobody in a 30 yard radius as he broke past the half-way line on a number of occasions.

Hannibal looked superb when he came on, in every sense (ability, desire) that was needed. The ground was probably loudest overall at 1-3 down and chasing the game.

With tails up having scored a good goal, I suspected that if you could maintain the atmosphere and possession/pressure you might nick another one, making a last minute Old Trafford “moment” (ie a late goal) all but a formality.

But we did a good job at killing the momentum of both the team and the crowd, and with you appearing to move Fernandes to centre back in a sort of American Football quarterback role (?!), I felt we might score at least one more. Fati should’ve, in my view.

I found aspects of your play baffling, including selection and recruitment choices since we last played. I was not at all impressed with Onana, who looked extremely nervous to me, and having watched the highlights back could’ve perhaps saved a minimum of two of our goals. His passing and distribution was also very nervy.

I am so used to De Zerbi’s football at this stage that I can breathe, blink and even speak while Steele or Verbruggen has the ball in their own six yard box, with an onrushing forward approaching, and know we will work the ball out safely. With Onana, I felt any moment we’d get a freebie.

Casemiro also didn’t look quite the player I remember. I think his minutes need to be managed carefully at this stage, and once Amrabat is fit I am sure this will be the case.

I thought Dalot did okay, aforementioned Hannibal stood out, and despite some poor decision making Rashford was a threat against Van Hecke and Veltman.

If I can quickly disabuse a few misconceptions though; we don’t have a number one keeper presently. De Zerbi is openly saying he’s rotating them. Players who played today like Lamptey (in for Estupinan) and Dahoud (in for Gilmour) are considered first team players. Dahoud is new, Lamptey is returning from injury. It is only Gilmour’s performances and the fact Lamptey was unstoppable prior to injury which gave them minutes. Similarly Ferguson missed Ireland’s games due to a knock, and Estupinan was Rested after arriving back to Brighton on early Friday morning from international duty. March is injured hence Adingra.

You didn’t lose to a rotated side, it’s just that we genuinely have a squad now where lots of players are considered first choice, and we have injuries and issues of our own.

I enjoyed the game (naturally) and had this down as a high scoring draw or a narrow defeat to your lot, but small margins as ever. As an Albion fan I was by our determination to play our way until the end.

See you at the Amex!

Mingus

We didn't have the luxury of resting players that would have been jet-lagged from playing in South America.

Has tenHag actually been able to field more than one of this seasons' outfield signings in the same team?

The midfield is the same as last seasons' players at the moment.

Why are people complaining about Hojlunds' substitution ffs? We're managing his back issue.

James35

I remember 73/74. Everyone said we were too good to go down...yet it happened. At this stage thats a long way off, but so is top 5. God knows what will happen in the Ch Lge playing like this. We will be out of it after 4 games, unless we buckle up.
We are definitely dropping back into the Europa league after group stage. Galatasaray are no mugs and on our travels we are complete turd against any team with an ounce of talent.

glasgow 21

I agree. How he stayed on all game is the stuff of elite mystery.
Guys calm down its a plan play rubbish and the Glazers will go. You will thank ETH one day when looking back, this run will be the straw that broke……..

Maureen-yo

Hi all. Brighton fan here, and regular poster to the Cafe - the only opposition fan forum I am a member of (I find the people here more informed) and a regular contributor. Just setting off on a supporters bus home.

Firstly, I thought you dominated the first twenty minutes, until we scored against the run of play. It was a nice move, but very similar to one which we’d threatened from about 5 minutes earlier. Namely, Adingra running onto a long pass past your left back, Reguilón (who did okay otherwise). Nothing came of the first one, but the second one was almost identical.

You came flying out of the blocks and any noise our fans made was dwarfed by the atmosphere in the ground from your fans - and your players were buzzed. The first goal killed all that.

After that, I thought we largely took control - until your disallowed goal, which looking back was a superb finish. From my view, I had accepted it as a goal against the run of play (much as ours was), until the VAR check. I won’t comment on the decision to overrule it for obvious reasons.

What surprised me was I expecting something more of a raucous atmosphere in the second half from the Stretford End, similar to how it was when we played you last season, but it was completely flat.

We came into our own and largely controlled the second half, and I was surprised by the lack of response from the stadium, the manager and players. I was expecting a crunching tackle to happen, or chasing down a throw in, or something to rile the atmosphere a little.

Our second goal was well taken, but I was at the time (and subsequently having watched highlights back) remain unsure about your defending. I don’t blame Martinez for Groß’s swerve fooling him, he had to commit in the moment because there was nobody else. If he hadn’t and had attempted a dummy, he’d be hammered with criticism for not committing - in my view.

The third goal, as you pressed forward, seemed to have killed the game. Lamptey had nobody in a 30 yard radius as he broke past the half-way line on a number of occasions.

Hannibal looked superb when he came on, in every sense (ability, desire) that was needed. The ground was probably loudest overall at 1-3 down and chasing the game.

With tails up having scored a good goal, I suspected that if you could maintain the atmosphere and possession/pressure you might nick another one, making a last minute Old Trafford “moment” (ie a late goal) all but a formality.

But we did a good job at killing the momentum of both the team and the crowd, and with you appearing to move Fernandes to centre back in a sort of American Football quarterback role (?!), I felt we might score at least one more. Fati should’ve, in my view.

I found aspects of your play baffling, including selection and recruitment choices since we last played. I was not at all impressed with Onana, who looked extremely nervous to me, and having watched the highlights back could’ve perhaps saved a minimum of two of our goals. His passing and distribution was also very nervy.

I am so used to De Zerbi’s football at this stage that I can breathe, blink and even speak while Steele or Verbruggen has the ball in their own six yard box, with an onrushing forward approaching, and know we will work the ball out safely. With Onana, I felt any moment we’d get a freebie.

Casemiro also didn’t look quite the player I remember. I think his minutes need to be managed carefully at this stage, and once Amrabat is fit I am sure this will be the case.

I thought Dalot did okay, aforementioned Hannibal stood out, and despite some poor decision making Rashford was a threat against Van Hecke and Veltman.

If I can quickly disabuse a few misconceptions though; we don’t have a number one keeper presently. De Zerbi is openly saying he’s rotating them. Players who played today like Lamptey (in for Estupinan) and Dahoud (in for Gilmour) are considered first team players. Dahoud is new, Lamptey is returning from injury. It is only Gilmour’s performances and the fact Lamptey was unstoppable prior to injury which gave them minutes. Similarly Ferguson missed Ireland’s games due to a knock, and Estupinan was Rested after arriving back to Brighton on early Friday morning from international duty. March is injured hence Adingra.

You didn’t lose to a rotated side, it’s just that we genuinely have a squad now where lots of players are considered first choice, and we have injuries and issues of our own.

I enjoyed the game (naturally) and had this down as a high scoring draw or a narrow defeat to your lot, but small margins as ever. As an Albion fan I was by our determination to play our way until the end.

See you at the Amex!
Great post :)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't bring myself to watch Sky's game of the day, so only going, so far, on the radio; sounds like for about 150th time, we played reasonably/well in one half and did't bother at all in the other. Lots of players don't deserve to be at the club - and I mean bigger names (and price tags) than Scotty...

We miss chances game after game and we don't defend properly at all. Also yet to see Onana make a big stop.

As soon as Rasmus' goal was disallowed, I knew we'd crumble. Zero mental strength.

If we get owners, they should tell every member of the board: "thank you, now f*ck off". Only guy I'd go on paying is Sir Bobby and only because he is too ill to blame for the past two season (I'd have paid him off before).

I reckon ETH's days would be numbered under either new owner - thinking that bringing on Martial is the answer to any problem isn't thinking at at all. Quite why he didn't give Garnacho time is beyond me - he almost changed the game at Arsenal

We could easily ship six in Munich

RoyH1

It starts at the top and no matter what manager we bring in, we won’t be what we once where as long as the Glazers are there

Castia

See you at the Amex!
Very good post enjoy your season mate

Just want to say what a great club Brighton are. You have to sell a top player every window and to carry on not just surviving in the PL but playing some great football your fans must be proud

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I have been actively prioritizing sleep over games the last few games, and am glad I'm missing these results. There is no way the football is going to be pretty given ETH's attempt to change the way we play comes at the cost of exposing our squad's long-standing weaknesses. Our playstyle is a gamble at the moment where the stakes are high, and we're losing.

It was never going to work given missing players at LB/LB-backup, CB, CM, RW, CAM and their replacements being as poor as they typically are. Of the players on the pitch, Bruno is being played out of position, Hojlund is still bedding in, and we knew a midfield of Casemiro and Erikson was too static even last season. The lineup itself shows that EtH himself is trying completely new formations in key games and getting outmatched tactically, and that's unrecoverable when he's historically not been known for being effective with subs.

It was also never going to work when the club lacks overall vision and unity at the moment thanks to the sale, has to recover from the Greenwood saga while coming to terms with the Antony one, and have the Sancho standoff and Maguire drama at the same time. There is too much off-the-pitch drama distracting every single squad player, and not enough confidence or ability in the remaining players or flexibility from the manager to counter it with any sort of results on the pitch.

There are good players on the pitch who have more than what they can show, and the manager is capable of far more. But I feel it's going to take a few more months to see either of them. The results are going to get worse, far worse, and there's no guarantee if and when they get better this season. Even top squads and managers look poor without confidence or form, United have problems that run much deeper at the moment, and it will continue to cost us terribly on the pitch and spiral away into poorer form.

Not a good time to be in a place where results affect you - detach and protect your own mentals when you can.

redmanx

So you prefer Martial up top? You prefer McTominay to Mount? You prefer a gassed Casemiro dragging around the pitch instead of Amrabat? Okay. Bizarre take, but you’re entitled to an opinion.
I was very disappointed when Martial came on, he is not, never has been and never will be the answer to our striker problems, unless he was injured or knackered Hojlund should have played the 90 minutes.

Oldyella

De Zerbi has been in charge 5 less months. Which side looked better coached today?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 245 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:1 Brighton
  • 10% Man Utd 3:1 Brighton