PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This is clearly relevant and a strong indicator as to who was the better team on the night. But the fact is the better team doesn't always win, this has been true of football since it's inception yet people struggle to accept it.

In any case, I thought it was more of typically dogged defensive performance from a team battling relegation rather than a poor showing from our lads. They earned a point fair and square.
Yeah. I agree. Kind of reminded me of the time we drew against the same opposition (I think?) quite early on when Mourinho was in charge.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We always get this dmonated the game and should have been x goals up line when we struggle in games like this.

We didn't play well at all and I thought that was fairly obvious. It was a game we COULD have won, but it was also a game we needed to win and which, if we had approached it correctly, should have won. Creating situations where we might win instead of probably will isn't great strategy, unless there is something to gain or learn from it. We gained nothing from last night and all we learnt was that weakening the team makes it polay worse. A bit like fighting someone weaker than you using only one arm to see if it makes it more likely you end up getting beaten up.
That's quite clearly not the case, other than Herrera not starting, it wasn't really a weakened team at all?!
We should have been one goal to the good in the first ten minutes, Rashford in his current form should have scored.
We didn't struggle to create chances, we didn't struggle to create. Although I will say that we relied on crossing too much, but that's due to Burnley's shape more than our lack of ideas,
Burnley's game plan was excellent, they pushed us out wide and knew they could deal with them crosses.
Not sure how you think we approached the game if it wasn't to win it??

TheForgottenOne

Looking at the passing map I noticed something I have noticed before.

Pogba tends to play very deep and to the left, resulting in him closing down the space for our LW. Noticed it before in games with Martial, causing Martial to be less able to play a good game.

Yesterday it was the same, albeit a bit less hurtfully because Rashford tends to make more runs and move around more.

Also, Mata tends to go to the middle an awful lot. Looking at the pass map and seeing where Mata has most of his touches, he was more of a CF than a RW.

As a result, we get Young getting a tons of space and acting like a RW, which he does practically nothing with.

As a result our other CM, Pereira in this case, is forced to drop back a bit and also provide a bit of cover for our RB. This limits one of our central midfielders, whilst the other is less effective since he roams almost towards the LW.

We need to have Pogba play in the center more, while a RW that actually plays near the sideline and can beat his man 1v1 would really bring us a lot more attacking diversity and space as well.

PeteManic

Picked the wrong midfield.

Put Lukaku in centre and Rashford on left.

Team played crap.

That simple really.

TheRedHearted

Looking at the passing map I noticed something I have noticed before.

Pogba tends to play very deep and to the left, resulting in him closing down the space for our LW. Noticed it before in games with Martial, causing Martial to be less able to play a good game.

Yesterday it was the same, albeit a bit less hurtfully because Rashford tends to make more runs and move around more.

Also, Mata tends to go to the middle an awful lot. Looking at the pass map and seeing where Mata has most of his touches, he was more of a CF than a RW.

As a result, we get Young getting a tons of space and acting like a RW, which he does practically nothing with.

As a result our other CM, Pereira in this case, is forced to drop back a bit and also provide a bit of cover for our RB. This limits one of our central midfielders, whilst the other is less effective since he roams almost towards the LW.

We need to have Pogba play in the center more, while a RW that actually plays near the sideline and can beat his man 1v1 would really bring us a lot more attacking diversity and space as well.
Isn’t a midfielder always going to be the one to cover an attacking fullback? Otherwise teams with fullbacks that attack so high up will always be left with two CBs to defend.

hobbers

Good summary of our play for like the last 4 seasons. Except replace Young with Valencia.

Foxbatt

Bad team selection and tactics. We dropped points and Chelsea and City lost. We would have been level with Arsenal if we had won.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
First things first: what a whiney, wingey little git Sean Dyche is. Going on about there being five minutes of injury time (we scored in about the third) and how this picked the crowd up and so picked us up. So, can't team managed by him cope with a home crowd? and by his reckoning Arsenal should have scored three against us last week in the Cup when there were 11 minutes. As for performances, well we were all over them and had rashford taken his chances we would have won easily. Having only seen highlights it's difficult to pick a MoM and I have picked Lindelof a lot recently but he must have come close. Shaw was good too. Over all it is points dropped though...

Foxbatt

It's the midfield. When Young is in acres of space why don't they switch play instantly instead of playing it so slowly to the right side? Young can put in a decent cross now and again.
It was two points lost.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Unless I’m very much mistaken, you used to post almost identical diatribes whenever we dropped points after Fergie rotated his squad, so I’ll take it as a ringing endorsement of OGS...
Unless I am very much mistaken.
Heard those famous words somewhere before Murray.

Jonno

Bad team selection and tactics. We dropped points and Chelsea and City lost. We would have been level with Arsenal if we had won.
And if OGS hadn’t managed the last 9 games we’d probably be 9 points behind Arsenal and out of the FA Cup so I’ll take 8 wins and a draw gladly

buckooo1978

agree it was a bad team selection but it was mainly in hindsight

Burnley despite a recent resurgence were battered by City 5-0 a few days prior and on paper the team Ole put out should have been more than good enough

Ole has to try players out in certain positions and he is learning about the players

I think Pereira might be finished barring an injury crisis and he hasnt impressed since pre-season when you take games with a pinch of salt

I'm pleased that he's tried Rashford left Lukaku Centre as it's crystal clear that Marcus needs to play as a 9 and Romelu probably isn't an Ole player

Mata on the right is an experiment that needs to end - it has never worked for a prolonged period and it's about time we stopped flogging a dead horse and bought someone more naturally suited there

it will be clear to Ole that there's not enough quality at fullback and Young is very short term - we need to improve there

Ole has to give players a chance but it seems clear where he can improve things - reckon it would take 2 summers to make us a top side

IronCroos37

If we play Jones, Lukaku, Mata and one of Fred/pereira/scott our chances to win games are radically down.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley