PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
What a finish! We were 2:0 down with 10 minutes to go and fought back to draw. That's Man Utd. We never gave up and pulled out a result against the odds.

Yet ultimately it was a night of frustration at Old Trafford as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's winning run came to an end, but Lindelof's late goal denied Burnley's first win at Old Trafford since 1962. They defended resolutely from start to finish and took their chances when they came, Barnes smashing in the opening goal after 51 minutes and then Wood making it 2:0 after 81'.

We threw everything at Burnley to get back into the game and Pogba's late penalty gave us hope and then Lindelof scored in injury time. In truth our attack never really clicked like it has in previous games but credit to Burnley's defence which stayed organised and frustrated us time and again.

Lots of positives to take from the game. We never gave up and didn't know when we were beaten to grind out a result. Under previous managers we would have gone out with a whimper in a game like that.

Match Stats

Possession
Man Utd 74%
Burnley 26%

Shots
Man Utd 28
Burnley 6

Shots on Target
Man Utd 9
Burnley 4

Corners
Man Utd 11
Burnley 3

Fouls
Man Utd 10
Burnley 9

mu4c_20le

Still a great comeback. Down from two goals, never stopped attacking.

FrenchRed

Played ok, conceded from silly mistakes. Excellent fightback. Really proud of the spirit at the end.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I thought we played well. Burnley defended brilliantly, and the way we kept going and got the point....tremendous tbh. Teams are going to drop points at this stage of the season, so many games etc. Great team spirit. Deserved to win.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
How did we get a draw when it looked we had lost it.

It must be said Ole picked the wrong team, tactically we were poor and our final third passing was inept.

For me we have too many average players like Jones, Young and Mata.

Judas

Open to offers
Lucky to get a draw obviously.

Didn't understand the tactics in the second half. Take off Lukaku, only to spend the rest of the game lumping it into the box?

GM K

Pained that we dropped two points but what a cracking game that was! I like what I saw in terms of the determination and spirit of the lads having gone two goals down.

Marcus

United never lose. We just run out if time. Good recovery.

Jacko21

Important comeback, mentality-wise more than anything.

Why was Barnes so angry? Had a chip on his shoulder the whole night.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The changes to the starting XI did not help the team. Ander Herrera was a particular miss. I recognise that Ole has an obligation to the squad to shuffle the deck and give people a chance but we hurt ourselves weakening the team.

Great spirit to fight back from 2-0 down to 2-2 but a result that should act as a cautionary tale for messing too much with the spine of the team.

ken11

Prefer a win (obv), not happy with the mistake that led to 0-1 BUT...

I loved the way we responded being 0-2 down. That makes me feel OK with today.

DRM

I hate these cnuts. Burnely that is, I hope they get relegated

Red Viking

It was a very poor performance from Rashford and Andreas P that we could not afford. Andrea P is a championship player he simply is not good enough for the Premier League and not even as a squad player.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not our day. Heaton the cnut channeled his inner Yashin tonight.

For all the 'we haven't seen how United act when they are behind', well, we saw it. Fergie would have been proud.

Based on tomorrow's result we will be 2-5 points behind Chelsea. A step back, but fourth place is still on reach.

Mick321

Good comeback but still a crap result, really disappointing. Starting line up cost us.

KennyBurner

at least we denied those inbreds full points. hopefully Ole has learnt we really cant afford to play everyone.

Canagel

What a terrible team to lose our winning against. 2-0 down to these ffs.
we should never have been in that position to begin with and got ourselves out of jail with a point.

Judas

Open to offers
Pereria was bad before the mistake, I think we'll listen to offers for him in the summer, just don't think he's the level of player we need sadly.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Only 5 minutes of stoppage time after Heaton taking 30-40 seconds for every goal kick from 55 minutes in. Goal in stoppage time, another Heaton timewaster and Moss still blows early.

Good comeback, but should never have been down. Burnley are muck.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
"The referee has indicated a MINIMUM of 5 added minutes."

:rolleyes:

Rulekeeping annoyance aside, good comeback. Most I've celebrated a goal in a while.

Minimalist

Oh my heart.

Love Ole. Love Lindelof.

Lack of quality really the troublemaker with us but the general performance was decent if not good. Just some real dumb moments cost us, both up front and at the back.

Andreas not good enough and never has looked good enough if we're being honest with ourselves. Should have been pulled at half time.

Was a little disappointed in Rashford tonight for the first time in a while. Not for the miss but his performance after the miss - seemed to lack the fight or something.

Fair play to Dyce and Burnley. They're a right shithouse of a side but they won't care - they nearly bloody won.

Lynty

Bump in the road.

Young, Jones and Perreria were woeful.

Lukaku and mata too slow for the

el3mel

The late draw makes it look better so glad for that.

Hopefully last time our players enter a game that relaxed and thinking they're going to win anyway.

Tarrou

Who would've thought you can create chances at the end by passing and moving quickly instead of just hoofing it to Fellaini?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Ole made mistakes with the line-up but we should never be conceding 2 against these. Also, awful refereeing from the retired pensioner playing the role of a professional referee.

Cloud7

What a fecking end to the match.

Burnley seem to be the premier bogey team for us at Old Trafford these days.

Ole got it wrong from the start, he should have played Lukaku from the right where he actually had a good game against Arsenal.

We’ll all bash Perreira for his mistake for their opening goal, but Jones really gave him a suicidal pass seeing the Burnley players converging on Andreas.

Eddy_JukeZ

Rashford had a really poor game considering how great he's been lately. He looked off the pace all game.

I don't understand the decision to take off Lukaku to then constantly lump it into the box.

Great fightback to rescue a draw at least.

Bad 2 points dropped though.

Thiim

Perreira should not be anywhere close to the team for important league games. Pathetic mistake to gift the first goal.

I get PTSD from watching Young dwell on the ball when he receives it on the wing.

Ole made a horrible mistake with the selection. Mata, Lukaku, and Perreira in the same team. Hopefully he'll learn from this.

Do we need to chip in with some donations for new servers for the Caf?

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley