PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:2 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 January 2019

R'hllor

I am all for rotation, always was but dont ever rotate like that, Mata and Lukaku, while AP being on right side of midfield 3, on top of all Young as RB, never again.

KGBhoy

Considering we were 2-0 down and managed to get it to 2-2... we also didn't play THAT bad. Feels like some players were a bit off today, but with another 10 minutes we would have won it.
Hope Rashford shrugs off his misses, and Pereira recovers too. Although I doubt the latter has the future at the club.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I hope they get relegated. Tom Heaton can feck off, fecking prick.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Lack of quality in depth got exposed today.

Trizy

Rashford scores that golden chance and we win comfortably. Strikers miss though, I think the blame on points dropped is on Ole's team selection. All 3 of Periera, Mata and Lukaku are passengers at this stage. You can't expect to win starting all 3 of them.

Foxbatt

Ole got it all wrong on the team and tactics. Mata and Perera are not good enough.
Lukaku as CF don't work. Arsenal won so we are back to square one and this is a game we would have won with the right team and tactics.

Ban

All good in the end, we could have easily lose.
Poor game overall really but we puffed and huffed and deserved our point imo.

Pereira is not gonna make it, Mata shouldn't renew and Alexis is past it too.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Even before the comeback I didn’t get the overreaction in the matchsay thread over the performance.
I though Burnley were outstanding defensively, honestly even Pep’s Barca would’ve struggled against these tonight.
The performance wasn’t good but it wasn’t a complete disaster.
We lacked higher class passes at times, a bit more from our creative players and more concentration from Pereira and Lindelof who shouldn’t have been on the edge of the box at that moment when the cross went in.

Great comeback though, thought Matic was easily our best player, and Pogba was average.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Had a feeling it would happen tonight to be honest.

One thing I will say, is that although we didn't play well enough beforehand, the reaction once 2 down was fantastic. Even if we hadn't have equalised, I'd have been annoyed at us before it but satisfied with how we tried to get back in it.

Cerberus

First major blunder by Ole. Firstly the team selection was woeful in key areas. He already executed a solid formula for beating teams through swift counter attacking, why throw a spanner in the works? Mata starting over Sanchez is a head scratcher, given the latter's performance against Arsenal, and pushing Rashford out to the left for the sake of Lukaku made as much sense.

Also, I understand giving Pereira a chance, but Herrera has been one of the most crucial players of the seven game run and he's not even subbed in once we're losing? And Dalot offers a lot more than Young, whose primary characteristic is lobbing in poor crosses, yet he was also left on the bench. The selection lacked our important players and we lacked creativity as a consequence and the changes were made too slowly -- Ole's slow reaction time is not a good sign, hopefully just a blip.

bondsname

"The referee has indicated a MINIMUM of 5 added minutes."

:rolleyes:

Rulekeeping annoyance aside, good comeback. Most I've celebrated a goal in a while.
Is that enough to get that fat feck fired?

Triple.Threat

Pereira the kid is rusty and has not played in a while. As soon as Jones had the ball I said to myself this is going to hurt us.

Infra-red

Pleased with the mentality, disappointed with the performance, gutted about the result, utterly devastated that Liverpool have essentially all-but-won the league after tonight.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Apparently United don't always score when shithead Moss is refereeing.

Die hard attitude, didn't give up, fecking fantastic attitude from the players tonight. A draw isn't what I hoped for but clawing back a point after being two down is nothing to be completely upset about.

space

I don't think Pereira is good enough, not just the mistake but the overall performance too. Rashford should have buried the first chance and we need to replace Lukaku. Martial was missed badly in my opinion

Milo2035

Excessive bad language
Ole should've fielded the strongest XI. Anyway great fighting spirit at the end.
Still undefeated.

And fck Burnley game raising cnts

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
While not the result we would have liked. I think we performed ok for the most part. Ole tried to rest some players and it didn't quite work. We missed our clear chances, and the gifted them the lead. Plus I'm not sure if they even created any other good chances beyond the goals. But after that Ole made some good changes and the players responded and showed desire.

Lingard was great when he came on, though I have to say Sanchez was a disappointment. I expected him to be able to have some sort of impact, but I can't remember any real positive in play that he was key to.

Patrick08

We scored in extra time and they blew the whistle before 5 mins.. The ref out of his mind.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Should've got a pen for the handball as well. Moss was shite tonight. Didn't add anything on after we scored a goal in stoppage time.

Wrong personnel to start with.

Always going to drop points at some point, at least with this there's something to build forwards with.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Excellent comeback, although slightly ruined by City pissing the title away in the background

Dreadful mistake from Pereira. A costly lesson learnt there.

We showed good character after going 2-0 down - Burnley played well I don't know why people take them for a joke

Regalia

Admirable, even amazing comeback. Reminiscent of Fergie time. But we needed to win this and for 80+ minutes we looked uninspired and disjointed. Such a wasted opportunity to really head up the table. Maybe Ole shouldn't have tinkered with the team, but at least now we have further evidence that Pereira and Lukaku are just very very average.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
One of those games you see straight off will be hard to crack. Everything you can do is avoid cretin mistakes and hope your efforts will be rewarded with a goal. The boy (Pereira) really fecked us over tonight but he will learn from it.

Kapardin

I blame Ole for the tactical decisions and the XI in this game but in reality, it is a tough ask to win every game just to stay in the top 4 race. We win 6 in the league and yet top 4 looks bleak after just one draw. This is on Mourinho and Woodward. One sabotaged us by playing midfielders at CB and throwing away games while the other dithered in sacking Jose and held off it for too long.

One big positive from the game is Lindelof. Going from strength to strength.

Pereira wasn't good enough at Granada or Valencia. Think we should stop defending academy players who just don't seem to cut it. At 23, he should be looking more like a professional footballer, not a kid who's out for a kickabout and gets bullied.

Tony247

Ole started with a disfunctional team. His love for mata was beyond comprehension. That guy can't shoot, can't even make a decent pass in the box. Why is he there in the team?

The team looked lost in final third and I was hoping some corrections during half time. But nothing.

Ole then failed to react quickly after we conceded an unfortunate goal. I failed to understand what was he waiting for.

There is nothing much to analyze. At least the team showed resilience and earned a point. Well done for that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Pereira the kid is rusty and has not played in a while. As soon as Jones had the ball I said to myself this is going to hurt us.
He should have had the brain to realise that was a risky ball and either turn it round the corner immediately or pass it back right away. Taking a touch there was brain dead.

RedIan

Ole honeymoon period is over - i said before this game do not make too many changes. Do not change a winning formula. Unfortunately the players coming in are not quite good enough to play the fast attacking game we have been playing under ole. I love mata and he played ok tonight but he doesnt fit the formula and the same for lukaku imo pereira isnt good enough, looks out of his depth.

Still im proud they fought for what looked like a very unlikey draw at 0-2 with 10 mins left and at least it wasnt boring !!

Heinzesight

John Moss is an utter feckwit. Blows early even though we scored and Heaton took 45 seconds to take a goal kick all in injury time.

Starting Andreas and Lukaku fecked us over. Special mention for Sanchez being wasteful.

I hope we don’t see Andreas for a long time. Lightweight, dozy, adds nothing and is always wrong side when the opposition attack. Definition of average. Also an absolute fanny when it comes to a tackle...shys away from everything.

Last edited:

acnumber9

You have to be impressed that heads didn’t drop at 2-0. Less impressed at how we found ourselves 2-0 down. The game showed about limitations a bit. We’re heavily reliant on Pogba doing something. If your full backs are the ones providing the width they need to actually be able to do it. Ours offer nothing.

Ainu

Avoided the defeat and showed good character, but you can't call this anything less than a massive setback. Mistakes were made, both by the players and by Ole. I hope he learns from this. Some players were found out and shouldn't be trusted again. We've carried nothing players for too long, now is the time to be ruthless.

mav_9me

These things happen. But you need better from Young and Shaw. Not to mention Perreira and Rashford with his first chance in particular.

Ah well can't win them all.

And of course lot of Fergie spirit.

Snafu17

Rashford should've scored his chance in the first half but it is what it is.

We really need a fullback that's also good offensively and an additional CM if we intend to rest Herrera.

IAmAWinner

So we had 5 minutes of added time, we score a goal, those Burnley cnuts wastes nearly a minute, and the ref decides to blow the whistle five seconds before the added time was done? fecking hell

madzo2007

One of those nights, glad Lindelof got the equaliser. It was fun but full of "if only's" such as Rashfords chance after 10mins or so.

Johnnyredboots

Personally speaking if i were a Burnley fan i'd be disgusted at that performance, they should be going into every game like this and not just when they play Man Utd. It's utterly pathetic to try your hardest in only 2 games per season and yet they do it every year. If they put the same effort in against the other 18 teams they wouldn't be staring at the relegation zone.

Credit to our players though, they dug a result out when it was looking grim.

Jibbs

First time OGS got the team selection wrong, Lingard and Herrera should have started, wrong substitution as well, Burnley were physically strong in the box while defending, Lukaku should have stayed, and Sanchez should have came on for Mata.

haram

Why take Lukaku off when you are going to be putting balls into the box....

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
As I see it, Ole only made one major mistake. He didn't sub himself on in the last 5 minutes. I'll bet he could still do the business in OT.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 386 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 35% Man Utd 3:0 Burnley
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley