PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 February 2022

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I just don’t think it’s realistic to expect Rangnick to suddenly work wonders with this squad, it’s quite clearly not up to the standard required and he is having to work with a decade of abysmal squad management and recruitment.

I know we all like to get angry during and immediately after the game, myself included, but on reflection we have to accept that this squad is simply nowhere near the standard required, half the squad want shipping out and a top to bottom overhaul of recruitment and coaching is needed. I have faith Ralf can take us in the right direction but ultimately he’s not a magician and this won’t happen over night.

We were robbed last night and on Friday, have some faith. This was always going to be painful.
It's an even more depleted squad than the one he took over. There are good signs. They have to make more signing for the future, not social media clicks.

DomesticTadpole

Haaland must be the top target in regards to signing a striker, I'm not looking at anyone else.

People saying it was a good performance seem to forget that we played a team bottom of the league with just one win all season & as far as I can recall we didn't have a shot on target in the 2nd half, that is not my idea of a "good performance"
They are creating chances, but are terribly wasteful, the ones who shoot on sight do not help.

Green_Red

I’m extremely frustrated by results but you’re not wrong here regarding margins. Not having those unnecessary goals given or taken away changes the attitude. But our inability to overcome those moments still shows a big weakness. I agree that we are improving in form though.
Yea, I did think though last night when the first goal was disallowed we overcame that when Pogba scored very soon after, which surprised me to be honest. It should have been 3-0 within 25 minutes. I don't think this team is too far away now.

Maticmaker

A 'Game of two halves' best example yet!

A first half, even allowing for the VAR interpretations we should have won at least 0-3, but only won 0-1 and a second half we did lose 1-0.

Sancho our best player overall, but even he at times wasted chances, held on too long before either passing or shooting, too many times trying to beat his man twice instead of once, but he was our best attacker. Cavani looked completely out of it, as though just stepped off the plane from Uruguay. Shaw and McT had good games overall, Pogba shone in first half and disappeared in the second. Bruno, Rashford, virtually nondescript!

And Burnley's nearly 7ft giant Dutchman stole the show, not for the number of headers he won, but because in most one-to-one duels for the ball he got the first touch, or won the second ball most, not the most elegant player, but when he puts himself about he's effective.

I've no idea where we go from here... don't think Ralf has either!

Back To Madeira

Lads... it's United.

Honestly believe teams can't wait to play us. The fear factor evaporated many years ago. Top teams roll us over with ease. The lesser lights rub their hands at the thought of getting a result against one of the supposed big six.

Many said it when Ralf was appointed, it will get worse before it gets better. I think we're in the midst of that now and could be for a long, long time.

IRN-BRUno

1st half: Good
2nd half: Not so good

I'd pretty much written off the top 4 when Rangnick was appointed, it always seemed to be with an eye on the future rather than rescuing this season. So to be fair the performance against Middlesbrough and the 1st half here were encouraging, we looked a much better side. The next step is to obviously take our chances and control the game for more than just 45 minutes.

Changing style and everything was never going to be a quick fix, results like those in the last week are going to happen in the short-term but hopefully that will benefit us next season and make it easier for the new manager.

Matthew1972

Yea, I did think though last night when the first goal was disallowed we overcame that when Pogba scored very soon after, which surprised me to be honest. It should have been 3-0 within 25 minutes. I don't think this team is too far away now.
To qualify, we did play the bottom table team. If you think that the form has improved against the worst team in the league and still dropped points, we are actually very far away at the moment.

And this idiot manager must have thought that the FA cup was a meaningless tournament, why else would he sub Pogba, Rashford, and Sancho for Fred, Elanga, and Mata? It was the only tournament we had a halfway chance at winning and he treated it like a pointless friendly.

The reality is, losing has been such a custom for the current players that I doubt they could EVER find a way to win anything together. When all you know is how to lose or how to fail, it's hard to unwind that. And the players they have spent hundreds of millions on, and for what? Maguire? Van De Beek? Wan Bissaka? Fred? Not to mention all of the other failed players, like DiMaria, Sanchez, Mikhatarian, et al.

This is what 10 years of Ed Woodward gets you. Thanks for nothing Glazers. Poison.

Green_Red

To qualify, we did play the bottom table team. If you think that the form has improved against the worst team in the league and still dropped points, we are actually very far away at the moment.

And this idiot manager must have thought that the FA cup was a meaningless tournament, why else would he sub Pogba, Rashford, and Sancho for Fred, Elanga, and Mata? It was the only tournament we had a halfway chance at winning and he treated it like a pointless friendly.

The reality is, losing has been such a custom for the current players that I doubt they could EVER find a way to win anything together. When all you know is how to lose or how to fail, it's hard to unwind that. And the players they have spent hundreds of millions on, and for what? Maguire? Van De Beek? Wan Bissaka? Fred? Not to mention all of the other failed players, like DiMaria, Sanchez, Mikhatarian, et al.

This is what 10 years of Ed Woodward gets you. Thanks for nothing Glazers. Poison.
Please go back and read my first post about Burnley being game raising cnuts and not playing like the bottom of the league team. Salty fecker.

Matthew1972

Please go back and read my first post about Burnley being game raising cnuts and not playing like the bottom of the league team. Salty fecker.
Anyone playing United these days looks like game raising cnuts. Middlesbrough should be fighting for Champions League based on how they played United (at OT). Take the rose colored glasses off and smell the manure.

Green_Red

Anyone playing United these days looks like game raising cnuts. Middlesbrough should be fighting for Champions League based on how they played United (at OT). Take the rose colored glasses off and smell the manure.
There you go, Scouse twat.

DomesticTadpole

Maybe this is a cunning plan. We fail to get CL football, Harry Maguire wants CL football. Harry Maguire leaves to get CL football.

Bristol_Red_87

As bad as that second half was, that's comfortably the best I've seen us in possession for some time in the first 45 minutes and on another day, we'd have been out of sight.

Average/poor opposition it may have been, but I have at least seen cause for some cautious optimism during the past two matches.

The job Ralph has to do cannot be underestimated. The players are largely a collective of frauds, who masquerade as professional footballers. No manager in World Football comes in and makes us a fully functioning collective in 2 months!

darko

[/QUOTE
Yes, Burnley is at the bottom of the table, but in teams of points conceded, there are other five clubs worse than Burnley. Burnley draws a lot.

USREDEVIL

As a team we look more stable and solid, but it seems like it's costing us a bit of our counterattacking chances. I'm going to be patient because we've been unlucky the last two games. But to move forward we need a bit of a clearout. Obviously Maguire needs to be replaced, as does 1 or 2 midfield players and i really think we also need a center striker (not sure if we should rely on Ronaldo if he's even here).

Matthew1972

Can't wait for City and Liverpool to do the job and then hear about how much "progress" we're making.

Matthew1972

Yes, Burnley is at the bottom of the table, but in teams of points conceded, there are other five clubs worse than Burnley. Burnley draws a lot.
If that helps you feel better about the situation, enjoy.

Todd

The two disallowed goals were reversed for soft reasons, not gonna argue that.

But what the hell kind of Manchester United team that's fighting for their lives top 4-wise can't do a Burnley side that's absolutely abysmal?

Maguire absolutely has to go this summer, I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise at this point. He is just hapless.

We realistically need to turn over at least half of our regular 11 in order to actually compete for trophies.

Matthew1972

The two disallowed goals were reversed for soft reasons, not gonna argue that.

But what the hell kind of Manchester United team that's fighting for their lives top 4-wise can't do a Burnley side that's absolutely abysmal?

Maguire absolutely has to go this summer, I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise at this point. He is just hapless.

We realistically need to turn over at least half of our regular 11 in order to actually compete for trophies.
THANK YOU. Finally some common sense.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really really not good enough.

teams just aren’t scared of us anymore. They play us and really believe they can get something from the game.

the fear factor is gone.

it’s going to take a lot to get us back. We’re so far away it’s laughable.

We had goals disallowed, and didn't capitalise when we were on top. Simple as that.

One bit of dreadful bizarre defending from Maguire, they're back in it, and that's football.
Nothing to do with this "fear" myth.

Matthew1972

We had goals disallowed, and didn't capitalise when we were on top. Simple as that.

One bit of dreadful bizarre defending from Maguire, they're back in it, and that's football.
It has everything to do with fear.

When teams play Manchester City, they are afraid of humiliation. When teams take points from City it's not because they thought they would, it's because City phoned it in.

When teams play United, they are unafraid of humiliation. They look at the game as one of those rare moments they can tell their grandchildren about, and play with all they have because they know there's a good chance they'll have a grand story to tell around the fireplace someday.

It has everything to do with fear, or the lack of it.

ForeverRed1

first half was good. Second half was terrible. Football is over 90 minutes, there’s a reason we keep blowing points. We have to be good over 90 minutes, we’re not first half fc. It’s not good enough.

Andrew Richmond

It was awful. Good teams get the job done againgst the Burnley's.

Sugar coat things which ever way you like, but more Points dropped against the bottom feeders. Just not good enough.

Scholsey2004

Haaland must be the top target in regards to signing a striker, I'm not looking at anyone else.

People saying it was a good performance seem to forget that we played a team bottom of the league with just one win all season & as far as I can recall we didn't have a shot on target in the 2nd half, that is not my idea of a "good performance"
We're not getting Haaland. Real are after him.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 52% of 216 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw