PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 February 2022

Banana Republic

Its just not good enough.
Okey 1st half but a disaster 2nd half.
40min to score a 2nd goal but barely creating anything.

Ralph has had such an easy fixture list with so many winnable games but he cant seem to do it.We dont score enough goals under him,been a problem since he got here.His substitution game is late and mostly awful as well.

Hopefully he can improve the team before March,when we play City A, Spurs H, Atletico Madrid H and Liverpool Away , but if he cant beat these bottom of the barrel teams like Newcastle,Boro,Burnely, i have my doubts.
Ralf isn’t on the pitch failing to take those scoring opportunities, or switching off and not being aggressive enough, or capable of winning 2 balls or smothering the opposition’s possession.
This is down to the players, not Ralf.

Wing Attack Plan R

Well, that wasn't very good.

The only positive I can take is that Sancho looked confident on the ball and he was eager to take on players 1v1. He cut inside too often instead of getting to the bye line, but it's an improvement.

Cavani and Ronaldo both are not at the required standard.

How do we turn in these hot 'n' cold performances, first half dominating then second half rolling over and playing dead? Weak clearances, sloppy passing, no movement in the final third, people shooting when they should pass, passing when they should shoot.

And Maguire is shit. Can we please stop with these fecking ridiculous defenses of him?

Fts 74

It's where we're at at the moment.

What can go wrong is going wrong its hard to feel like it isn't one big conspiracy.

I do think there has been some improvement in performances were just not taking our chances, then the other side scores with their first chance.

I don't blame Ralf, it's an impossible situation for him in a lot of ways I'm sure he would've loved to sign a couple of players in January but the board were never going to sanction that he just has to work with what he has.

I just hope the new manager whoever that is gets rid of some these overpaid prima donnas and signs some players who are willing to give their all for our great club.

One positive tonight was sancho.

redmanx

Ralf isn’t on the pitch failing to take those scoring opportunities, or switching off and not being aggressive enough, or capable of winning 2 balls or smothering the opposition’s possession.
This is down to the players, not Ralf.
Its always been down to the players, right back to LVGs time, they simply dont care enough to really scrap for 3 points

redmanx

Well, that wasn't very good.

The only positive I can take is that Sancho looked confident on the ball and he was eager to take on players 1v1. He cut inside too often instead of getting to the bye line, but it's an improvement.

Cavani and Ronaldo both are not at the required standard.

How do we turn in these hot 'n' cold performances, first half dominating then second half rolling over and playing dead? Weak clearances, sloppy passing, no movement in the final third, people shooting when they should pass, passing when they should shoot.

And Maguire is shit. Can we please stop with these fecking ridiculous defenses of him?
Under Ole it was the other way round; crap first half, better, often very good second half.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Genuinely baffling week. Twice dominant first half, twice f'd by referees. Against Boro I was peeved at us missing chances. Today, sure we missed. But we had at least one good goal ruled out for nothing. Hard to take but you can't say Burnley didn't take their moment when it came. Maguire looked like Bambi on ice. My days.

Green_Red

This was a perfect example of game raising cnuts. Hadn't won in 10, rock bottom, Man Utd come to town and you put in your performance of the season. I thought we played some good stuff. McT made a couple of mistakes that almost cost us, Maguire the same. On to the next game.

jesperjaap

Come on, both decisions were rightly ruled out, Maguire was off side and intefered with play and Pogba fouled on the cross.

On the positive side I think we have looked more organised, better pressing and a better tempo to our play...the downside, for jsut 40mins or so each time.

I think its the players need to be looked at, not the manager or tactics. Bisska has been poor but Dalot is a terrible right back fo ra club our size. He cant tackle without fouling, any incisive pass or cross.....nien time our of ten he gives the ball away.

Maguire has simply been awful all season, problem is we have a lod of average and injury prone defenders at the club he almost plays by default. On the postive side I think Varane is settling now.

Pogba already is Pogba again, we look better with him in the side, he does som egood things....but plenty of sloppy things and often becomes anomynous against pressure.

Rashford again was poor, he has been poor for a long long time now.

Ronaldo is actually starting to look his age, was always comign at some point, still give him chances, he will score goals.

Most ontroversial one from me though. Our world class breath of fresh air Fernandes.....has been more a stale fart most of his time here. Tale away those first six months, he has had brilliant moments but so so often is inconsistent within games and gives the ball away over trying killer passes. He is a very good player, it isnt jsut form though....he simply isnt world class.

As for the easiest one, Fred is never a Manchester United midfielder in a million years, even with Pogba being sloppy and Fernandes seriously out of form (he at least worked hard) our midfield still looks much better without Fred in it.

We need to trim the squad and we need 5/6 new signings for the FIRST eleven, thats how short of quality consistent performers we are for me

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
This was a perfect example of game raising cnuts. Hadn't won in 10, rock bottom, Man Utd come to town and you put in your performance of the season. I thought we played some good stuff. McT made a couple of mistakes that almost cost us, Maguire the same. On to the next game.
It cannot be that we're the only club, against whom, that the lower teams raise their game against. Teams raise their game against other clubs too, but those clubs know how to win. We do not know what the problem is.

abraz79

Supports
Sporting CP
Instead of preparing the team for next season, we're stuck with a temp manager. Then we'll start from scratch next summer.

oz insomniac

After waking up early to watch the game, keep coming back to the disaster that started with the Glazers, went up big time with Woodward and signed off by Ole. Terrible appointments, poor fitness levels and click bait signings And we see the result.

will it improve with Woodward gone, the refereeing standards are awful and can someone explain why it’s necessary to wrestle at every set piece, I played a long time ago and it was just simply outplay your opposite, not pull shirts, arms over shoulders. Shambolic sh*t that’s actually taking skill and ability out of the game.

Green_Red

It cannot be that we're the only club, against whom, that the lower teams raise their game against. Teams raise their game against other clubs too, but those clubs know how to win. We do not know what the problem is.
"Problem" isn't real. We had 2 goals chalked off and Ronaldo missed a header you would have bet your house on him to score ordinarily. Same against Boro, that goal should never have been allowed. Very fine margins. What I'm seeing is an massive improvement in pressing in the final third and an improvement in our ability to pin teams in the final third. Most of the chances against us lately have come from counters. We're far more cohesive between defence and attack than we were under Ole.

lex talionis

Come on, both decisions were rightly ruled out, Maguire was off side and intefered with play and Pogba fouled on the cross.
Maguire did not interfere on the first goal. One could argue that Pogba committed a foul, but we see that kind of contact allowed without interruption all the time.

Infra-red

We played OK but we are really quite a poor side with abysmal fitness levels.

A top 4 place looks very unlikely and the fixtures in March are absolutely brutal - this will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Denis79

Maguire did not interfere on the first goal. One could argue that Pogba committed a foul, but we see that kind of contact allowed without interruption all the time.
Similar type of contact was made against Rashford but of course no penalty for us.

eire-red

Thought the Lingard sub was all wrong. We should have brought on Matic for McTominay and pushed Pogba higher.

Lingard brought no attacking threat and just meant Bruno and Pobga were deeper and not influencing the game at all. At least Matic would have provided a base in midfield.

I understand throwing the CB up top, or pushing your wing backs high up the pitch. However, I never think it's a good idea to throw the kitchen sink by touching your midfield. Inevitability, we lost direction and the ability to win the ball back and move it through the lines. Seems like such an amateur mistake to me.

R'hllor

If i was bothered, would say today wasnt good enough, then again i am not after last few years being wasted and rewarded.

jesperjaap

For me, the fact that he blocked the player off wasnt the main thing, he blocked him off from an offside position, so I think he did intefere with play.

If those goals were allowed against us I suspect a lot of people would be complaining the other way round....they were a bit soft, I dont deny that, but I feel they were the right if hasrsh decisions

Devil may care

It's just so disheartening at this point, top 4 is fading and while there's glimpses of better play and improvement in a couple of players, it's too little too late, I just wish the season was over.

Need 2 new strikers. Cavani and Ronaldo are too old for this shit
I have to agree, they offered nothing tonight.

The-Natural

Really not seeing the disaster that others are. We've improved in every metric since he took over and let's not forget just how abysmal we were before he came.

When you look at the attacking stats and the general dominance we have had over the last 2 games then ordinarily these would result in comfortable wins. And the improvement from Middlesbrough was actually already there to be seen as we put the ball in the net 3 times tonight! They seriously rode their luck as tonight's game should have been over by half time.

You keep creating chances and limiting those created by the opposition and the W's will come. That's just football.

Come on RR!

Scholsey2004

This team is absolutely screaming out for a striker who isnt in his mid thirties. Darwin Nunes at Benfica would do nicely.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A game of two halves if there ever was one. Very good in the first half and should have been 3-0 ahead, absolutely abysmal in the second and should have lost by the end.

NICanRed

Several thoughts :- Haven't lived in the UK for a long time but I'm sure glad I wasn't out there playing 90+ mins in that weather. Not an excuse but it has to impact a person's enthusiasm.
Dalot, Shaw and Sancho were willing and able to carry the ball forward and retain possession. Didn't achieve much but at least it looked like they were trying to make a difference.
How often in the past few years have we been embarrassed by the bottom team or one of the cellar-dwellers? Are they emboldened when we come to town or are we over-confident?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Players have no idea what to do with the ball.

Can't cross.

Can't pass.

Can't shoot.

Can't head.

Poor movement.

Just all round awful.
Sounds very reminiscent of when Ole was here. The truth is the players need sacking not the manager although Ole was out of his depth which compounded our problems.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Can't believe the 2nd half and especially the sloppy start to the half. It seemed no one could make the right pass to retain possession for the first 5 minutes and it cost us. This team is so frustrating especially after the good play in the opening half.

- As other have said, Sancho the only real positive. Love his ability to bring a ball under control so effortlessly. Too bad Rashford will never have that sort of touch.
- It seemed we just cycle the ball back and forth on defense and rarely try to create space for Pogba, McT and Bruno to receive the ball in the middle. I was especially peeved Pogba wasn't moving much.
- Speaking of Pogba, I was also frustrated that he just keeps the ball for so long
- Cavani looked really rusty, not sure he was able to hold onto any balls to him with a defender on him
- Dalot looks to have more creative moves than anyone else except for Sancho. Right now I'm thinking he might be a better AM than Bruno (not serious, but...)

It's on the manager if time after time the team can't put a sustained good 70 minutes out of 90 in a match. Ralf is not doing his job well IMO.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Why does Sancho seem more tentative and cautious when in an attacking position. He almost always goes for the cut back rather than take a player on. Seems we got a knock off version from Dortmund. The other parts of his game are on point, just the general tenacity that is lacking, but could be the entire squad in general.

bucky

Is there a team in the league who's centre backs touch the ball as much as ours, just feel I watch them pass the ball a ridiculous amount of times!
That's completely normal. For most top teams the CBs attempt the most passes on average.

Red_toad

Another game decided by officials. I can't remember a season where its been this bad
I believe VAR has been programmed to create a new rule every week when we score or concede. There is just zero consistency. VAR was supposed to bring consistency and fails on a weekly basis, running the sport for the spectators. Sport is about living in the moment, not waiting several minutes to review where 2 players made minimal contact with each other, or if a blatant handball was allowable as it's one of those new rules.

Banat

Bruno was utter crap yet again. So many predictable and misplaced passes tonight,
Pogba would be crucified for that kind of performance. He is unbearable when out of form or not focused.
I wont say a word about Maguire, but if he is still in front of Lindelof in the pecking order after this game, we are fecked.
Sancho and Pogba were brilliant, Dalot was great in the first half, no idea why is he getting so much stick. Yes, his crossing was bad tonight but not as bad as Bruno's whos (once again) getting a free pass.

Oldham

We were much better but they fought like crazy and maybe deserved to get something from this game...
Sancho Varane DDG were all very good.
Bruno and Pogba good in patches.
Harry Dalot Rashford Cavani bad today.
And Ronaldos form is very worrying can't pass can't dribble can't trap the ball. What the fokk happened?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
seriously? RR hadn't Refused to buy players, he wanted a midfielder at the very least. The club have said they are not buying anything as there will be a new manager. This isn’t on RR this is 100% on these lazy cowardly overpaid players.
Yes, my sentence was missing a word "*club*'s refusal to buy players" but shitty selection and match management is on RR.

Had he started Elanga and Lindelof or even Phil Jones, we would have had this game in the bag. Or at least if he would have made subs early on. What's the point of brining Elanga on 85th fecking minute? What can he possibly do in 5 minutes?

He's done such blunders in many games, not to mention the usage of that horrible 4222 system

roykent

Agreed that Maguire needs to be sold.
I would sure like to see the Burnley centerback pair on my team! Tarkowski anyway

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Not one single person at the club could give a toss about the club. These players are a disgrace
Calm down. That was decent enough. Great goal by Varane. The OG should have stood. It will come right

LDUred

Another performance indicative of the holding pattern season we're having.

The frustrating thing with the ruled out goals is that they were avoidable in the first place. We fecked ourselves over by giving the ref a perfect opportunity to disallow them. If you apply the letter of the law, you can't argue with them, so we just have to be more disciplined.

Some positives to draw including Sancho's performance and the first half in general, but the uncertainty over the future is affecting the squad.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 52% of 216 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw