PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 February 2022

Josep Dowling

Thought we played very well in the first half. First goal I can understand it being ruled off given the Villa one we had in the FA cup. The second disallowed goal was a ridiculous decision and I don’t understand why the linesman flags so late to call a foul. Cavani missed a sitter as well.

Second half was just predictable. Maguire with yet another individual error. Why has he come out with the striker? McTominay was already marking him.

Obvious weaknesses for me are Maguire, Fred and Rashford. Rashford is so sloppy these days. Lacks any effort when it comes to his defensive duties and so selfish with his decision making. Our midfield looks far better with Pogba instead of Fred. We should not be playing with 2 CDM against bottom 10 clubs.

RoyH1

We were good in the first half. Var is absolutely ridiculous being used to roll back so many goals,.

Redfrog

Nah Shaw was OK. Maguire fecked up the goal, he stays back we do not concede simple as.
Well if you can’t play the offside you are not a defender and you should buy some brain cells. Not saying Maguire is not at fault as well (our Captain is the sh*tiest defender to wear the shirt ever) but Shaw has to play the offside rule, that’s the basics. He is the only one not aligned and by a mile.

Chicharito_

Is there a team in the league who's centre backs touch the ball as much as ours, just feel I watch them pass the ball a ridiculous amount of times!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Maybe it's because we just aren't good enough? Ever thought about that as the reason why we don't win these types of games as often?
The simple fact is we dominated the first half, should have been out of sight, why wasn't we?
Wasn't mentality then, it was poor officiating, brilliant keeping/defending and poor finishing.
What are you even fecking arguing? Mentality is a part of not being good enough.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
it's time we stopped blaming var, top teams don't, they get on with it and find a way to win, we don't, we cry like a bunch of pussies.
In that first half it definitely cost us at least one goal.

No excuses for that second half, we were just our standard capitulating shite that we've seen since Sir Alex left.

Speako

I’m genuinely beginning to despise Harry Maguire. It’s not a nice feeling.

90 + 5min

Second half was not that good but I feel sorry for the guys. I'm not even mad about Maguire being Magurie.

I'm disgusted by referee and VAR. I don't even know if it is incompetance or something else. Shocked about it. We need to have some investigation because it is not normal.

HailtotheKing

Sancho getting into his stride but tiring again. Pogba playd well but tired after injury. Don't envy playing away to Burnley in the driving rain and wind. Tarkovsky, Mee, Pope, brilliant in defence, throwing their bodies in front of everything.
But we seriously lacked creativity that second half. So many times, players wide open on the left and we played it back into the middle. And those 5 minutes near the end where we were just passing it around methodically as though we were sitting on a one nil, were absolutely infuriating. Dalot played well again, one good through ball but what has happened to his crossing? As for corners, have we had 1 out of the 120 that looked like going in? Wtf are they practicing on the training pitch? Hugely disappointing, 2 points lost. On to Southampton. Then it should be really fun to see how we play against Liverpool and City.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
it's time we stopped blaming var, top teams don't, they get on with it and find a way to win, we don't, we cry like a bunch of pussies.
The reason why MU fans moan about VAR is that we need to fight for every goal against teams like Middlesbrough and Burnley.
The better teams tend to have the ability to score goals, so don't need to moan about VAR.
We drew against a Championship side, a few days ago.
We drew against a team today, against a team that is bottom of the league and will be in the Championship next season.
That's our level.
It's going to be humiliating against Athletico Madrid.

We buy top class players and turn them into average players. I don't know how this is even possible, but somehow, we manage it.

Ludens the Red

Genuinely don't understand the raging at the players here. We dominated the game, would have won it comfortably if we hadn't been robbed by var again. Played some nice football. Yes we faded in the second half, but to me the progress is absolutely clear.
Drew against the team bottom of the league with one win all season. Had one shot on goal in the first 30 mins of the second half.
Lost at home to a mid table championship team last Friday. Outside the top 4 and likely to fall further with opponents with games in hand.
But you can’t understand why people are annoyed with the players and you think there’s clear progress?

right …….

MrBest

Just numbness. We can blame the officials all we want but we still had 40 mins to score a second and we failed against a team that barely scores and concedes a lot. This season is a write off, there are literally no more words that can describe this shambles.

Redfrog

Massive rebuilding required. Season cant end soon enough.
1 billion down the drain already !

If a club is dumb enough to buy Maguire for 80 millions, it has only himself to blame. We are finished.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
McT, Maguire and Shaw teaming up for their goal was the highlight of the evening. Magure and McT going for the same ball, getting turned by a fecking oil tanker then Shaw making sure Rodriguez stays onside...

you have to give it to them, it's like they train for it

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I don't understand why when we break out from defence, and get well into the opponent's half, we slow everything up, and the ball inevitably finishes back with Maguire or Varane.
We are very predictable.

Siorac

We have to take our chances when dominating.

It would also help if we could play at an acceptable level for more than one half.

Hammondo

Our midfield should have been a lot better. Playing the bottom of the league, who play only 2 midfielders, and we didn't dictate enough, we had no one setting the tempo, moving the ball around to create space, moving the ball to counter pressure, nothing.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What are you even fecking arguing? Mentality is a part of not being good enough.
:lol: :lol:
Righto.

A team with Pogba, Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane, Bruno lack mentality.

The simple fact is the players I have mentioned above are not in top form, they have not been performing to the best of their abilities, again not mentality, just small percentages of certain aspects that are not quite clicking, like finishing for example.

Longshanks

Started well got infront unlucky with the disallowed goals especially the second one. Burnley were poor first half and rather than really drive home our advantage we play like were 3-0 up when were only 1-0 up.

Come out in the second half strolling, bad mistake for the goal gave Burnley something to defend and they defended it very well it has to be said. But we really do lack that ruthless killer instinct so little intensity at times.

Gordon S

Ronaldo is done at this level, must be clear as day to Ralf too. Just brutal to watch an old legend fall to pieces like this.
But the one that gets under my feckin skin is Maguire. Feels like he is playing some testimonial or charity game every single time. Just looks so casual walking around the pitch, always slowing things down.

Our movement second half is terrible, just terrible. Player with the ball always has to look for a teammate and almost every time it takes ages to find a solution. So easy for Burnley to defend.

Redfrog

McT, Maguire and Shaw teaming up for their goal was the highlight of the evening. Magure and McT going for the same ball, getting turned by a fecking oil tanker then Shaw making sure Rodriguez stays onside...

you have to give it to them, it's like they train for it
But, but, but we got our British core ! Should build the team around them. Bring back Wan Bissaka and give Lingard a bumper contract and everything will be fine.

lex talionis

Almost a perfect repeat of the match against Middlesbrough.

We did dominate for a while, we came up with several half-chances and poor refereeing cost us dearly. But we didn't do nearly enough to put away a vastly inferior side -- both on paper and in reality -- and we pissed away victory into the mouth of defeat...or draw in this case.

There are encouraging signs, but we don't yet have it in our bloodstream to crap on sides like this, sides who defend deep and lie in wait for the one chance. They know to target Maguire, exploit him for who he really is and walk away with a result.

Belisarius

I don't understand why Maguire and Rashford are starting over Lindelof and Elanga again. Maguire has been terrible all season. Sit him down. Play Lindelof or Jones if you have too. But, don't start Maguire.

Marcus has been terrible this season also but has shown signs of life lately and Elanga is very raw so this decision is a little more understandable.

But, they were both terrible again tonight.

Also, that control RR spoke about when he first got here is eluding us again. We've been getting the lead lately but can't control the game once we have it. I suspect that is related to Pogba replacing Fred for the last two games, but there may be another reason. We definitely don't have control though.

Houdini

Our midfield should have been a lot better. Playing the bottom of the league, who play only 2 midfielders, and we didn't dictate enough, we had no one setting the tempo, moving the ball around to create space, moving the ball to counter pressure, nothing.
We have enough chances. Our mighty forwards are to be blamed. Ronaldo, Cavani and Rashford are not good enough for a TOP team. They would be decent for a midtable team though.

ForeverRed1

Genuinely don't understand the raging at the players here. We dominated the game, would have won it comfortably if we hadn't been robbed by var again. Played some nice football. Yes we faded in the second half, but to me the progress is absolutely clear.
It’s beyond some nice football. This isn’t a isolated game, it’s happening too often.
This is a mentality problem, not ability. Squad wise it looks great on paper and yes playing some fairly nice football doesn’t win you points as the last two games have proven. Coming into the important part of the season and were losing and dropping points to teams we should beat. Fairly easily.

No fa cup. Fourth spot slipping away and not a chance of champions league (very slim). So playing better football, isn’t good enough.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some fans were actually happy with the first half! How our standards have dropped!
Exactly the same thing happened against Middlesbrough.
Some fans have such ridiculously low standards that if we do a little well against a team in a lower league, those fans are in ecstasy. I'm sure they think that drawing against a Championship side (and then losing on penalties), is a great result.
In years gone by, we'd crush teams like Middlesbrough and Burnley. Burnley would probably get 7 or 8 goals put past them, by a Fergie team.
I'm sure some fans will celebrate at getting 4th place - that elusive 4th place trophy that the Glazers have trained fans to laud.

judge bolt

It's the hope that kills you, and why are we so bad at corners ? admit VAR was crap but we had 12 shots on target in the first half.

siw2007

Identical game to the Boro match, same result. Furious with the team as it was again a very good performance but we don’t take our chances and concede to a sloppy piece of defending. Sancho was excellent, Pogba was great, Shaw was very good and Varane was good too. Maguire had a shocker tonight, would prefer Lindelof back in the team at this point. Rashford had some very good moments but was too weak in this physical game.

The team MUST put Southampton away at the weekend. We are playing well and it doesn’t seem like we are that far away from really clicking but we have to overcome this bad habit of throwing away leads otherwise it’s going to knock the confidence of the team and we will lose this bit of quality in our game.

Drizzle

Drew against the team bottom of the league with one win all season. Had one shot on goal in the first 30 mins of the second half.
Lost at home to a mid table championship team last Friday. Outside the top 4 and likely to fall further with opponents with games in hand.
But you can’t understand why people are annoyed with the players and you think there’s clear progress?

right …….
Most of what you said is about our position and our results. And yes, I'm as disgusted as you about that. But I watch the games and I know what I see - we are a more organised, controlled team under Rangnick compared to Ole's vibes all-stars.

We've scabbed a lot of lucky wins over the last year or so, it's time to pay with a run of terrible luck. We've deserved to win both these games very easily.

Hammondo

We have enough chances. Our mighty forwards are to be blamed. Ronaldo, Cavani and Rashford are not good enough for a TOP team. They would be decent for a midtable team though.
Yes we had chances, but we played Burnley, we should be, but we should be playing from midfield far far better. At the moment our midfield isn't doiy well enough against Burnley, what happens against a half decent team? Or a top team?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah good point. I think we bypass our midfield too much when we should be asking them to control play and wait for openings. We've got two pacey inside forwards who can run in behind but our desire to play it to the wing means they just end up crossing in a lot of wasteful balls.

Burnley sat deep and defended crosses because of course they will. That's their bread and butter. We looked out of ideas in the 2nd half.

Don't know what else to say really. Nothing has changed about our play since Ralf came in, which is a bit depressing, IMO.

Betson

All this crying and whinging over the disallowed goals is pathetic small time mentality.

We were 1 goal up coming out for the 2nd half and we crumbled yet again at the nearest hint of pressure from the opposition. As usually we cling onto the excuses , serious teams don't do that.

Kopral Jono

This and the Boro game is just like watching mid 2000s Utd. A nice attacking side with nice moves, miss tonnes of chances to bury teams and get sucker punched for it.

The absurdity of Friday came into play in that second half as the energy levels dropped considerably. We should have had a 3-0 lead at HT but this time weird referee decisions and a little bit of shit finishing cost us that.

I think we’ve just got to put up with the rain until the sunshine comes, which I don’t think will be far away on the current projection. We don’t look disjointed and lost anymore, and reliance on individual brilliance is diminishing.
Good post.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The cultural reboot, brought back to where we were and in a great place, all bollocks. Needs new fullbacks, a better CB 59 partner Varane, midfielder(s) (Pogba gone and rest not up to it) and a striker to replace Cavani/ Ronnie/both

we are in a worse position than when Jose left, and that’s a fact.

Deanor44

The end of this season just cannot come quick enough!! I feel sorry for Ralf because he is trying to polish a turd! He has inherited an absolute Sh*te show. So many players out of form but more worryingly have 0% fight in them. Any setback and this group of players absolutely crumble. Only player who is coming out of this season with any credit is DDG. Maguire has been nothing short of a disaster. Rashford barely merits a place in the squad nevermind the starting 11, Shaw no better! Signings have not added any noticeable quality and you cannot bring too many from the youth system into this setup because the existing first team squad will poison them with their toxisity! The most disgusting part for me is Pogba and Lingard running down their contract yet United have not moved on from them!! From the very top down Utd is rotten! I can remember utd in the mid 80's and early 90's before the glory days and they were not this bad or so poor to watch!!

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 52% of 216 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw