PL D FA Premier League

Burnley 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 08 February 2022

Tarrou

I don't think we played that badly, our attackers are way off form though

we're shit at the moment so my expectations are low, but I see signs of improvement certainly on Ralf's first few games which were atrocious

LisburnWhite

Decent first half again which was good but once again after they equalised you could see the fragile mentality come back and the draw was always the likely result.
Really need to get some players with a strong mindset even if they are not world beaters.
Think top 4 is going to be a struggle so let's just blood some more youth and start to build for next season.

DomM

Decisions by VAR and officials turned a comfortable night into a spirited Burnley draw.

Harry Maguire needs dropped but we’ve been saying that for months.
it's time we stopped blaming var, top teams don't, they get on with it and find a way to win, we don't, we cry like a bunch of pussies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think we played that badly

we're shit at the moment so my expectations are low, but I see signs of improvement certainly on Ralf's first few games which were atrocious
We are playing so much better, it's really annoying that we cant punish teams better.

Dan_F

No way the first one is even looked at for any other club, no fecking way.
I don’t know. I think everyone is a little paranoid after Friday. I actually think offsides should be given more often for players that aren’t touching the ball.

united for life

Some fans were actually happy with the first half! How our standards have dropped! We controlled the game in the first half (to a certain extent) against burnely and people were over the moon. We are shit in every aspect of the game. Ralf has not even played the big teams in the league yet. I don’t see any improvement. Lack of urgency, lack of creativity, lack of organisation. Later changes… Maguire, what on earth was that!

sancho was probably the only good thing about this game

always_hoping

Carbon copy of Friday night when the contest should have be over by half time. At least one of the disallowed goals should have stood IMO. Burnley score from their first effort in the match at the start of the 2nd half from poor defending by Shaw and Maguire and Burnley battled bravely for that draw.

United meanwhile with such flaky players was unable to match Burnley 2nd half once they upped the intensity. I'll be shocked if this United side manage to finish 4th and I'd expect Atletico Madrid to knock them out of the champions league. Long story short the sooner this season ends the better.

Last edited:

redom

I had very little hope that we'd turn it around once the tide began to turn in the second half and I imagine the players feel the same way after seeing how they played in that second half, we just don't have it in us at the moment to find a second wind and fight back. I was glad to see Ralf go for it and put the attacking players on which did give us a little bit of pressure at the end.

There are some positive things to take out of the games at the moment at least but it does feel like the season is a write off because it's been baby steps when we needed something a bit more significant.

Rustyspider13

We've actually fecked this up. Again. Our away fans don't deserve this. We don't deserve this. fecking refs. fecking Maguire. Have to bring Lingard on to change the game cause Greenwood's a cnut and Glazers are skint. Any hope I had for top 4 is gone now. Our players just can't get it together for 90 mins. It's just disheartening.

Irrational.

Absolutely pathetic. I'm done with VAR - it was not made for these marginal decisions. We lost composure and our heads once the third (second) goal was disallowed - we otherwise played quite well.

Michael Deane and his team can actually go and swiv. He let Burnley get away with murder whilst penalising us for breathing in the same postcode as a Burnley player.

Fuming.

The Dane

It all about us not being able to keep a clean sheet. One goal should be enough against the likes of Middlesbrough and Burnley but somehow we always manage to give away a goal. That being said we could use a real striker who is not past his prime.

GazTheLegend

For me the biggest talking point was the elephant in the room.

A lot of people say at his age he's past his prime - his decision making isn't as erratic as it used to be, he doesn't impose himself on matches like he used to, he's lost that yard of pace that means he's going to rely on other people around him to help him out (he can still be effective after all),...

But even at 53 years, Mike Dean time and again proves us all wrong. He is still a world class prick, and his random decisions to disallow what were perfectly reasonable goals and generally allow Burnley to brutalise our players (oftentimes Pogba) was like hearking back to his finest years, like a mouldy, flew-infested piece of blue cheese left under a rug somewhere. MOTM: Mike Dean.

chiz2kul

Genuinely don't understand the raging at the players here. We dominated the game, would have won it comfortably if we hadn't been robbed by var again. Played some nice football. Yes we faded in the second half, but to me the progress is absolutely clear.
thank you for this. these knee jerk folks dont understand what real progress looks like. The results will come with time, but the overall gameplay, quality and consistency of attacking/pressing has massively improved. Positives all round.

abailey123

Can’t wait for this season to be over to be honest. Every week is a let down

eire-red

I'm sick of this spineless team. We're not the 4th best team in the league, so we don't deserve 4th, and deservedly will probably not get it. It's just back to complete apathy watching this team again.

It won't make the highlights, but the amount of passes behind the intended target, or poor weight on simple passes, bad decisions in the final third or being decisive in big moments is criminal for players at this level.

Literally all of the simple ingredients that you need to be a successful team, we have none of those qualities. Bunch of flashy players that flatter to deceive with no substance at all.

De Gea, Ronaldo, Varane and Cavani are the only players who I can honestly say have the mentality and correct attitude to play for this club. Unfortunately, two of them are now well past it. The rest? Meh.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Harry fecking magure, absolute shite yet again, giant fecking clown. Rashford.. useless again,no suprise there. Hate this set of payers so much.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Nonsense post really. They're 2 mistakes or at the very least 1 and without them we win 2-1 away against a team fighting against relegation. Your post isn't far from 'why didn't we just win 3-0'.

Were not a top club anymore. Accept it. We've been blatantly robbed twice in the last days
Okay it's nonsense that I expect us to beat the team at the bottom of league. Okay. Sleep well mate.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We've actually fecked this up. Again. Our away fans don't deserve this. We don't deserve this. fecking refs. fecking Maguire. Have to bring Lingard on to change the game cause Greenwood's a cnut and Glazers are skint. Any hope I had for top 4 is gone now. Our players just can't get it together for 90 mins. It's just disheartening.
/we absolutely don't. It's depressing me now. Always support the team but these fecking players need to remember the fans. Not all about their discomfort. The fans are the most important.

ash_86

Ronaldo, Cavani should be packed out next season. I'd add Maguire to that list but no ones gonna pay half of what we paid for him. Either way he shouldn't be starting anymore. Absolute ticking time bomb.

We desperately need a midfielder who can control the tempo and pass to our forwards.

croadyman

Decent first half. Going in 1-0 was disastrous. We all know should have been 2-0. Second half was embarrassing from the first minute to the last. Weak mentality fc strikes again
There does feel like a mentality issue

Laurencio

Arsenal with 2 games in hand 3 points off, and spurs with 3 points off with 3 games in hand. We can not afford these results... Heck even Wolves are only 5 points off with 2 in hand. This is not looking great...

We really should be beating Burnley...

pascell

Toonmany fragile mentalities set within players in the squad, Maguire and Shaw being the main culprits.

Shaw has now been with United 7.5 years, he needs to be shown the door in summer, he's never going to improve his positioning or awareness, plus his fitness is shocking, only overlapped 2-3 times in the 2nd half and it forced us into our own half.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Their new big lump no.9 did enough to get 5 bookings, and got none. The 2nd disallowed goal was nonsense. 1st one was murky, but Maguire was shoved into an offside position, so what's he supposed to do?

Played well in the first half, should have been at least 2-0 at half time.

We should've done better in 2nd half, but we still got screwed by decisions. Dean's leniency on Burnley's rugby tackles but giving a free kick when they embellished every touch on the back is just infuriating.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Irritating.

Firstly United's inability to convert chances.

Secondly, VAR.

Thirdly the defence and keeper napping 2 minutes into the second half. Such a preventable goal.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nope. If you continually find ways to not win when you’re on top it is absolutely to do with mentality. We have zero killer instinct and we always gift teams goals.
Maybe it's because we just aren't good enough? Ever thought about that as the reason why we don't win these types of games as often?
The simple fact is we dominated the first half, should have been out of sight, why wasn't we?
Wasn't mentality then, it was poor officiating, brilliant keeping/defending and poor finishing.

CloneMC16

I think I hate Maguire. He's played well in the last two games, but overall, he has been diabolical this season. God knows how many points we've dropped, due to his individual errors.

We were at least good in the first half. Second half was really bad. Didn't even cause Pope to have to make a save. Ref fecked us as well. At least Pogba and Sancho were good.

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 52% of 216 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw