LC W League Cup Round of 16

Manchester United 2:0 Burnley

Post-match discussion

Wed, 21 December 2022

K Stand Knut

Ah could be. I'm ashamed to say I assumed it was just a cup thing but likelihood is I'm wrong :nervous:
Just done a bit of reading.An article from last January seems to indicate that yellow cards do not carry across but red cards do.

Strange in itself so I stand corrected that it appears we’ll miss Bruno in the next round

Revaulx

I was there! A great night, starting with a visit to the excellent Brewchimp in Stretford.

Quality on the ball could still be better, but the transformation of the players’ intelligence, workrate and team ethos has been amazing.

A special gold star to AWB who actually looked like a proper all-round footballer.

Dubravka isn’t great though. It’s not even as if there are aspects of his game (e.g. distribution, crosses) that are superior to our other keepers. An odd signing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
McT isn't really a DM and Garnacho still has a long way to go.

Decent outing . Casemiro had a mixed night .

AlPistacho

Nice little match. Burnley play some good stuff. Hope De Gea doesn’t get injured, Bruno was delivering some killer balls.

Duckmanquack

I thought Casemiros distribution was immense. He had one blooper. But apart from that he won tons of duels, headers. Passed like a champ and dont forget he was out of position.

AndyMUFC

Enjoyed that, a lot more comfortable than I was expecting after 5 weeks weeks off and seeing some of the football Burnley have been playing in the Championship. They did have chances but it was all through Dubravka doing something dodgy or us giving the ball away rather than them playing through us.

Loved Rashford's goal and Casemiro was immense playing the ball out from centre back bar that pass at the end.

Cantonagotmehere

I was there! A great night, starting with a visit to the excellent Brewchimp in Stretford.

Quality on the ball could still be better, but the transformation of the players’ intelligence, workrate and team ethos has been amazing.

A special gold star to AWB who actually looked like a proper all-round footballer.

Dubravka isn’t great though. It’s not even as if there are aspects of his game (e.g. distribution, crosses) that are superior to our other keepers. An odd signing.
So glad you had a great time, mate. Totally agree on the work rate and ethos.

Blood Mage

McTominay had a shocker. Apart from that we played better than I expected, a decent night.

Andrew Richmond

I thought AWB was excellent for the most part. I can’t fathom why we would be willing to let him leave for a pittance, and bring someone else in who may not be any better. I think we should keep him.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Dubravka shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the administrative limits of Greater Manchester...

Rashford's goal was unreal. True greatness, even if it was against the Championship side. I really hope Rashy will maintain his form.

AWB's assist was top class, almost made me feel bad for the guy. Very disappointed by Martial. Garnacho is a youngster and no need to go hard on him, but today wasn't his day at all.

wolvored

I thought us not playing for a bit as a team and Burnley being a championship side was a good leveller. Casemiro playing defence was ok overall. McT with that pass and the goalie where some howlers we need to move on from, but they wont play in the prem. Rashford and Bruno even Wan B played well, and has others have said he didnt look happy for the assist.

Pickle85

Just done a bit of reading.An article from last January seems to indicate that yellow cards do not carry across but red cards do.

Strange in itself so I stand corrected that it appears we’ll miss Bruno in the next round
Ah right. Strange that one does but not the other, as you say.

red_de_pologne

Dubravka, McTominay were absolutely crap

Despite the assist and generally having an ok game, AWB is levels below Dalot, just doesn't feel comfortable on the ball

Malacia is levels below Shaw, another average display

No issues with Garnacho or Martial, thought they both looked good

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Dubravka, McTominay were absolutely crap

Despite the assist and generally having an ok game, AWB is levels below Dalot, just doesn't feel comfortable on the ball

Malacia is levels below Shaw, another average display

No issues with Garnacho or Martial, thought they both looked good
Dubravka is a back up keeper, and it showed why. McT is poor, we always knew that. We need to improve our midfield badly, as Casemiro and Eriksen are the only strong options we have. Malacia and AWB are decent back up options, and AWB showed there might be a reason to keep him as a squad player.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I thought this would be a really tough game but in the end a comfortable victory. They did have a few chances though mainly because of our sloppyness

Giggsyking

Why did the Burnley fans sing "that player" song? What was the motive behind it?

Can anyone tell me?

Hughes35

Good result in a tricky tie.

Thought Rashford was brilliant second half, Casemiro was great considering he was out of position.

Dubravka and Mctom were awful. Thought everybody else was decent enough. Great assist from AWB, but think he will leave in January. Probably back to Palace.

GregM40

Casemiro is an absolute beast, watched him from the stands for entire first half, everything came through him, in defence!

Quite happy for Wan-Bissaka too, best he’s played for ages, not sure if it means anything for the future but we’ll need him again this season.

Rashford solo goal brilliant. Dubravka the only real blot really, very shaky.

Decent return overall. Can we get an away game for the quarters tho?!

Fully Fledged

Another booking. Wasn't that a ban?
Stupid petulant booking as well. It's the main part of his game that let's him down. The player deliberately wound him up and he bit. Then again if you took away his emotion he probably wouldn't be the player he is.

Offsideagain

Just how many players has Guardiola loaned to Kompany? What happens if they get promoted? strange how their lumbering centre half with the hyphenated name can kick anything in Red and not get booked when Bruno gets booked for one foul. Must be from City. Reds jogged through the match with Rash providing the spark necessary for the win.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It was weird watching club football after long.

I'm absolutely amazed at how lean and fit Rashford looks. ETH must be really good for him. Long may it continue

RopersReturn

Good to see Rashford scoring, but why could he not do that against France?
Southgate gave him at least 5 minutes to turn the match round.

captaincantona

ETH saying nice things about AWB after that performance. In the same way Rashford/Bruno/Martial/Garnacho have all benefited from ETH’s coaching in a positional sense and understanding what’s required of them in terms of pressing, tracking back and their movement…surely AWB can develop his attacking game to the extent that he is a solid back up full back for us. While his control has always looked suspect, I feel his decision making and understanding of how to transition between attack and defence can definitely be worked on. Not writing him off as a squad player yet.

troylocker

Appart from the 5-6 hopeless individual mistakes that could have lead to Burnley chances, we played very well. More focus in the back in the future, please!

McTom and Dubravka didn't have the best of days and maybe Garnacho looked his age yesterday, but everyone else looked pretty good.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Not sure how Bruno is suspended, I always thought yellows in the League Cup counted for the league normally.

NLunited

Did anyone not notice Mctominay hiding in midfield when center backs had the ball? He ran in behind the Burnley players constantly so he couldn't be passed the ball? Overall though an easy win really. Still like to see us punishing these sides more.
A seemingly inexplicable phenomenon. What he is doing is opening up passing lanes to reach players up front directly.

When pressed, you don’t want to pass into McTominay.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 148 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 Burnley
  • 25% Man Utd 2:0 Burnley