g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Burnley 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 September 2023

Laurencio

The less said about the game, the better. At least we got the 3 points.

Red_Aaron

Not particularly pretty but it's a start.
Managed to maintain focus and discipline for a whole game for the first time this season and a vital clean sheet
World class finish from the captain

BestRed

Well thank fu*k for that, massive win! Looked a lot more energy & strength in the team tonight.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We won! Yayyyy

Performance is a real worry. Lets see if it improves after getting a few players back.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Needed them points, but we were poor. Clean sheet should hopefully be a big boost.

Daily_Blind

I thought we looked exhausted. And that exhaustion affected the passing (which was not good). Always the wrong pass on those 3 on 2s in their final third.

Savlehest

Exactly what I thought. When we have a running cm then we can control the game so much better. Mejbri, what a player today!
A bit disappointed with Hojlund but can still see it work long term. Burnley must be one of the favorites to be relegated.

All considered a really good win in a hard period

joedirt87

3 points and a nap. I liked what I saw from Hannibal when I wasn’t dozing off.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Bruno is my captain! Game was insane, but we tortured 3 points out, so whatever

abailey123

That’s what we needed after the last few games. Gritty and ground it out.
I put this in the match day thread, we looked so much better out of possession today playing in that mid / low block seemed to work.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Another game another 2 injuries? Reguilon and Evans

wolvored

Glad for the win and a superb goal, but was like a poor mans Mourinho performance. Absolutely terrible. Schooled by Burnley.

jem

Evans was great, Mejbri was encouraging and Bruno provided a touch of class. Not much else to say.

Zlatanator

Hannibal took his opportunity with both arms. Only positive from this game.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Important to get 3 points. In fact, it's just the results that matter now.

Well done to Evans and Hannibal!

siw2007

Massive relief. It wasn’t pretty, though it was never going to be and a better team probs my would have beaten us tonight. But with the injuries and all the drama at the moment, for a week at least we can stop the pressure cauldron turning up.

Huge well done to Evans, don’t really want him playing regularly but tonight he did his job well. Also very happy with Hannibal, hope to see him more often, I think he worked really hard and looked good on the ball too. Still, a long way to get back to what we were doing last year yet.

On the other hand, I’m still waiting for VAR to rule out our goal, bet they’re still looking now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Horrendous game. Bruno beauty goal though. Onana was very good though credit to him.

I'm guessing amrabat is nowhere near being fit, as if he actually was fit then this game was crying out for him in the middle. McTominay is horrendous in that role and I was surprised to see him in the deep role, a complete 0 on the ball and it was why we couldn't build up at all. Shit defensively too. Hannibal did well, put in a shift too.

Rashford and hojlund both had off days. Hojlund worked hard. Rashford not so much.

Casemiro and dalot probably the 2 best players for me. Need serious improvement otherwise for the next games. Any serious team should batter Burnley

United Hobbit

Awful (bar a gorgeous goal) but at least we won given the injury crisis (which has been added to)

*ETH is starting to infuriate me with his refusal to make subs, he's as stubborn as Ole was about it

*Garnacho seems to be in the dog house for some reason

*Hannibal had a very solid game loved his work rate, hope that doesn't get knocked out of him by lazy colleagues

*I moaned about Evans starting beforehand but credit to him fantastic assist and could have had a goal if not for VAR

*We don't try and punish teams and put them to the sword anymore, we were content with that 1-0 lead hoping it's linked to having so many players out but it's worrying if not. Asking to get sucker punched and we were lucky we didn't tonight

*Wtf do we do about a LB? Hoping Regulion was precaution but given his hand went straight to his hamstring probably not. Why are we getting so many injuries?? Again, worrying

fergosaurus

Glad Onana got a clean sheet after mid-week. Hannibal and Evans were excellent. Bruno's goal was pure class.

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
An assist and a very solid performance to secure 3 points and avoid a crisis. Amazing return on investment for Evans.

Ollie Derbyshire

We should have made some substitutions though, clearly Rashford was tired and McTominay not doing much so should have brought on Amarabat and either Martial or Garnacho.

RedIan

. Burnley had a lot of the ball but we were pretty comfortable. Hanibal ran his socks off, much needed in midfield.
Johnny Evans excellent. I thought Casamiro started to show glimpses of his old self in the second half. Bruno motm Awesome finish.

Todd

Positives:
-Kept a clean sheet, shockingly
-World class finish by Bruno
-Varane and Amrabat fit

Negatives:
-Lose Martinez before a ball is kicked
-Reguilon looks like he has a problem now
-Looked poor overall

All in all the day was pretty much a wash. Let's just hope Martinez and Reguilon aren't out now.

DSG

All I kept thinking was: How is it that a team with a fraction of our spending power and generally 2nd tier talent can have better patterns of play, superior technical quality, smarter decisions, and bravery? I’ve been a big supporter of ETH, but surely he has to do a better job in match preparation, tactics and getting the team to execute successful patterns of play. Even his substitutions were uninspiring.

1/10 for me for ETH this match.

johannes_fd

Great goal atleast. We're awful on the ball, seemingly have no plan or patterns on how to build our attacks through possession. Im just glad we got a win. I expected some awful scenes today, with our centre backs, but they somehow pulled through.

In a few weeks this team might look different, with Amrabat, Mount, Martinez and Varane in the team.

Rustyspider13

Three points. Don't give a shit about how we got them, was deserved in the end. Burnley did nothing in the second half.

Hannibal was absolutely brilliant. If this doesn't get him a spot as first choice backup in midfield, then EtH is blind. Kid has composure in spades and we need that desperately. Evans was great too.

fecked up a few counters in the end. Rashford and Hojlund need to keep building chemistry. Bruno didn't really get a chance to do anything on the wings but showed his quality when it mattered the most.

All in all it could've gone much worse. Really happy it didn't.

SirScholes

Only saw second half
Take away was Eriksen is the correct quality that we need if we want to have any ball retention but the wrong age if we want to have any legs in midfield
The drop in quality on the ball from him to Mctominay is huge, Mctominay just isn’t good enough.
Rashford has an abundance of talent but is choosing the wrong option, I saw him attempt a pass when he should have dummied and cut inside then watched him go for glory when he should have passed.
Few occasions when the final ball just needed a little more care, get the impression we were more concerned about not conceding than we were about scoring a second which I kind of get given the recent events

Man of the Match

Jonny Evans image Jonny Evans 48% of 313 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 292 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Burnley win
  • Draw