PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 23 October 2016

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
We only really have Pogba and De Gea that might get into their team.
Not even sure about Pogba in his current form. Matic looks back to his best now and was faultless again today. He and Kante are a great partnership.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We only really have Pogba and De Gea that might get into their team.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Personnel wise those teams are about equal, the hyperbole about United current side being abysmal is strange.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The similarities between our fans and Real Madrid is startling. @carvajal am I wrong?
you say it in a good way right? :lol: ,You mean the rush and the little patience?. In any case the match day thread is usually more aggressive and impulsive

Deleted member 101472

you say it in a good way right? :lol: ,You mean the rush and the little patience?. In any case the match day thread is usually more aggressive and impulsive
I mean the sense of entitlement. This " we are Manchester United and this is not acceptable" thing is just tiring

Red Viking

If the Real Madrid fans had to endure the shit we have had the last 3.5 years half the Madrid team would be crucified in central Madrid as a result, so i don´t think Real Madrid and Manchester United fans are similar at all.

Trizy

First goal, terrible defending.
Second goal, terrible defending/unlucky.
Third goal, terrible defending. / Well taken goal.
Fourth goal, terrible defending. / Well taken goal.

I think it was a mix of terrible luck and terrible defending. Chelsea had 4 goals from their first 4 shots on target, it's not like they were unbelievable. In fact the only place Chelsea looked good was defense, they made up attackers look like school boys.

We're by no means 4-0 worse than them. However, score line is irrelevant. We lost to Chelsea at home which most teams will do so they best we can do is hit them for 3 points at home. The most important thing we need to do now is pick ourselves up and drive on. We're only 6 off the top after all.

Terrible result but was drinking in the same pub as Denis Irwin. Got to meet and get a picture with the legend himself. Only good United related story of the day for me. Absolute gent, mind.

The Purley King

That was a fecking disgrace.
2nd goal was unlucky but the rest of them..... Well....
We don't look like a team. Pogba does his own thing and seems to lose the ball more often than not. Fellaini is fellaini. Just don't fecking play the cnut. Waste of oxygen.
I know blind, positioning understanding blah blah blah but feck me put shaw in. A million times better than blind. And can run faster than my dead gran.
Jose a lot to do sunshine. Sort it the feck out.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean the sense of entitlement. This " we are Manchester United and this is not acceptable" thing is just tiring
It is common in all elite teams, we both,Bayern, Juve or Barcelona. It is a complicated issue but supporters of Manchester are a mix between conservatives very concerned about the class, the forms, the stubborn defense of the coach and a total different speech of money / sponsors / galacticos. As @Red Viking just said I can not imagine how it would be if Madrid were in a similar situation. I think many madridistas, at least I, know what we want, but I don´t see it so clear in United.
Do you think that is acceptable losing 4-0 against Chelsea with an squad that seems very limited. How much United spent in the last 3 years?

Deleted member 101472

It is common in all elite teams, we both,Bayern, Juve or Barcelona. It is a complicated issue but supporters of Manchester are a mix between conservatives very concerned about the class, the forms, the stubborn defense of the coach and a total different speech of money / sponsors / galacticos. As @Red Viking just said I can not imagine how it would be if Madrid were in a similar situation. I think many madridistas, at least I, know what we want, but I don´t see it so clear in United.
Do you think that is acceptable losing 4-0 against Chelsea with an squad that seems very limited. How much United spent in the last 3 years?
It's not acceptable but can deal with it, 6 points from the top and with a squad full of young players. I have no issues at all with some time without success as it will make the return to the old days that much sweeter when it happens.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Blind being a spastic at the start & De Gea charging out for literally no reason right at the start certainly didn't help you today. Think 4-0 flattered us somewhat.

I think the problem with you lot are you lack a talisman. Ibra was supposed to be that player but it seems like Father Time remains undefeated while Pogba looks more interested in Social Media, advertisements & haircuts than being a leader at this stage of his career.

Mkhitaryan will probably be your X-Factor if he can get fit.

ManUSarge

Limp wristed passing around the park. 5 year olds know what is coming next. Pass it to the wings...back in...pass it to the other wing. The man guarding Valencia takes his right foot out of the equation...pass to the middle again. Pogba and Zlatan are huge disappointments. Blind forgot his seeing eye dog. Smalling is over-rated and I have never been sold on him. Lingard is a squad player at best. Fellaini is the football version of a wrecking ball. I just don't get it. Shambles.

marlowe78

If the Real Madrid fans had to endure the shit we have had the last 3.5 years half the Madrid team would be crucified in central Madrid as a result, so i don´t think Real Madrid and Manchester United fans are similar at all.
I keep hearing the Real Madrid argument paraded around, but did anyone notice that they're still on a high echelon and we're not? You know, because they have some standards?

I'm getting fed up with hearing about we're not like A fans or B fans. The standards at this club have been sinking rapidly and now there are people applauding a 0-0 at Anfield, which was the absolute minimal result we should get there. It's really sad.

MooseTheMooche

Pathetic performance, what else can be said? I thought that after few hours i would cool down, but I am still extremely pissed off. We just didn't show up, and I felt that the players just did not care whether they lose 4,5 or 6 nil. There is absolutely no passion and desire in that team. After chelski scored in the opening 30 seconds of the game (Good Lord, I hope we haven't beaten any "record" in the fastest goal department), I knew we wouldn't bounce back, and boy we didn't. Few points:

1) I don't know what is happening to Mourinho, but he is making the same mistakes Van Gaal did, and he's not learning from them. The manager's approach and tactical decisions are puzzling to say the least.

2) After 3 games against the top teams, we scored an astonishing number of 1 out of 9 points. Against strong teams I see regress rather than progess (Although under Van Gaal we were terrible in general, he always knew how to set the team against the strong opponents, bar the game(s) against liverpool in EL).

3) It makes me wonder what Fellaini is exactly doing that a third manager in a row picks him in the starting XI. He can't be picked based on his technical ability nor mobility nor footballing intelligence, this guy has nothing to offer to the team. His height doesn't help either.

4) I never considered Smalling as very good or 'world class' defender as some people here on the caf.
His last--enormous--season was good due to the fact that we played an incredibly negative football. To me he is average at best. Whenever I see him play, he makes horrendous mistakes (Pulling the opponents shirt; getting two stupid yellow cards). His today's perfomance was a criminal. No passion or agression needed in a defender.

5) Speaking of agression and passion. Since SAF left, our 'footballing anger' simply evaporated. The snapchat/instagram football stars seem to care more about their outfit, hairstyle and girls, than putting a good performance on the pitch. This statistic that we are the team that runs the least is shocking.

6) And finally, what happened to Zlatan? Good God, his desire seems to fade out completely, just as his ability to put the ball in the back of the net.

Giggs86

I am finally going to root out all the players not good enough to start regularly for Manchester Utd, bear with me.

Blind
Smalling
Rojo
Fellaini
Young
Lingard
Rooney
Schneiderlin
Depay
Darmian
Jones

That is nearly half our squad.
Agreed. Going through that list of names I see squad players at best. Not starters at a team that is aiming for the title.

You can also add Valencia to the list.

Fridge chutney

3 matches in 6 days vs Chelsea's 7 days rest. It showed.

We were shampoo . Disappointing and we need to improve quickly or the season will get away from us.

Valencia was the only bright spot. Solid match, probably the only player who can walk away with any credibility today.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Think it was he won't get 7 or 8 from open play in the league.

He's currently on three.
May as well change my name to Prattila now :(

I can't believe the chances he has missed in recent games.

Watford
Stoke
Liverpool
Chelsea

I remember him having big chances in all those games...considering how we are only 6 points behind if he was more clinical we could be right up there. So frustrating

Full bodied red

Maybe we should just let Raiola pick and manage the team.

I mean, he's made enough from us the past couple of windows selling us ' great, world class players ' that apparently only he knows how to get great, world class performances out of.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I'm worried that a poor season will see De Gea gone in the summer. I'm mean, if you were him wouldn't you want to move on and be on a team that can win championships?

I'm also worried that Mou might lose the locker room soon. This is something many of us warned about before hiring him, and now it could be a repeat of Chelsea last season.

I'm also worried that Pogba has a definite ceiling and will unlikely be a great or even very good player. I just think is long legs will always prevent him from becoming a quick footed player when receiving and playing the ball. The sort of skill that's necessary to be a creative player in the middle of the pitch. I expressed this when we bought him and hoped I was wrong. He might have to become a DM for him to be an effective player.

I'm worried that Zlatan, at his age, is never going to be consistent enough in the EPL. I expressed this when we bought him and hoped I was wrong. LVG made the mistake of relying on Rooney to be a 20 goal man last season, and now it appears Mou has made the same mistake with Zlatan.

I don't see how we finish top 4.

markhrad

Time to stop mucking about with Martial and Miki and get them onto the wings and play them into form.
Rashford isn't right at the moment for repeated wide starts, he needs to be starting the cup games up front, and coming on when we need an option in the league.

Would feel much more comfortable with that for starters, but then we need to sort midfield out still. Fellaini has his place, but a better bet is Pogba, Herrera and one of Schneiderlin and Carrick.
I agree with everything you stated. Lingard and Rashford lose the ball far too easily on the wings. I believe that Rashford is a centre forward and should be used as such and in the situations you stated. Martial is ready to start games now and I think that Mikhi needs to get his chance.

Nakhon Phanom

Chelsea 4 Manchester United 0
Sadly United's current standard is nearer that of Southampton,Everton,Watford and Bournemouth than the top clubs ! When you consider the amount of money they have spent in the last 3 years,that is pretty disgraceful.
Last night was a shocking,gutless display and I was cringeing with embarrasment watching that performance.
There best players on the night (Valencia,Herrera,Rashford and Mata) were average at best.....the rest truly awful,although you couldn't really blame de Gea too much.
Smalling and Blind were particularily shocking,Pogba looks more of an 8.9m player than 89m and,when he isn't scoring,Ibrahimovic is a luxury the team cant afford.
That said,Chelsea played some excellent stuff and Conte certainly seems to have found the right formula with the big bonus of Hazard being back to his best.

snk123

There best players on the night (Valencia,Herrera,Rashford and Mata) were average at best....
I understand Rashford is 18 and a talent but let's call a spade a spade, he was awful. It's not his fault he has to play as a winger but he has been playing poorly in the past few days and also missed chances today.

fatboy

Thing is, goals aside, we actually looked to be in the game. We matched them easily in possession, corners, shots on goal etc, but the difference was our really poor defending. Even when it was just 1 or 2 of their players against our whole defence, they'd get a good shot in. Our defending against Hazard for their 3rd goal was criminal.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Freak first goal and unlucky second goal unraveled us. We lost our heads after that and that was my only concern. The team should have responded better but were too frail minded.

6 points off the top, long season to go.

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
Thing is, goals aside, we actually looked to be in the game. We matched them easily in possession, corners, shots on goal etc, but the difference was our really poor defending. Even when it was just 1 or 2 of their players against our whole defence, they'd get a good shot in. Our defending against Hazard for their 3rd goal was criminal.
Seriously this

Shots
Chelsea 14 - 16 Man Utd

Shots on Target
Chelsea 6 - 5 Man Utd

Key Passes
Chelsea 10 - 14 Man Utd

Possession %
Chelsea 44 - 56 Man Utd

Touches
Chelsea 659 - 775 Man Utd

Aerial Won
Chelsea 8 - 10 Man Utd

Tackles
Chelsea 19 - 21 Man Utd

Corners
Chelsea 5 - 7 Man Utd

Fouls
Chelsea 7 - 17 Man Utd

If you had shown me these numbers before the game you would think it was a close affair but Man Utd would of managed to nick it. It really came down to execution and the players on the pitch and Chelsea's players were simply better and more tactically disciplined in front of defense.

Pscholes18

Just ff through the match to watch the goals and after match conduct....absolutely shambolic defending....and if Keano or Fergie were still here you bet your bottom dollar those cnuts wouldn't be smiling and trading shirts after the match...this lot have no clue what playing for United means...Scholeys must be sick to his stomach watching this shit....get Miki in ASAP to so he can start gelling with the squad....and figure out your first 11 for feck sake.

Pscholes18

Did anyone listen to any call in shows there in Manchester....what are the locals calling in and saying?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This...I agree with. ;)

RedPnutz

So we lost. Blame everyone, sack everyone. Every player is mid-table or championship level.

Playing Liverpool, Fenerbahce and Chelsea in a span of 7 days. That was always going to be tough. Chelsea are no slouches and have a full week of rest.

Vida5Nick

NFP
So we lost. Blame everyone, sack everyone. Every player is mid-table or championship level.

Playing Liverpool, Fenerbahce and Chelsea in a span of 7 days. That was always going to be tough. Chelsea are no slouches and have a full week of rest.

No excuse. Mou had the season to prepare for heavy fixtures like this. He massively underestimated the dross in his squad just like LVG had done. He could have gotten more players but no, he arrogantly declared 4 was enough. Everyone could see the dross but each manager, starting with Moyes making the same mistake as thier predecessor each friggin time. Not buying enough or buying wrong. But none was worse than Moyes signing Fellaini.

Feck me.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Is it a good thing that our next game is on Wednesday, just 3 days later?

Of course I would say yes, but we're playing City, who have a point to prove themselves..

Crossie

Supports
vibrant attacking football
Seriously this

Shots
Chelsea 14 - 16 Man Utd

Shots on Target
Chelsea 6 - 5 Man Utd

Key Passes
Chelsea 10 - 14 Man Utd

Possession %
Chelsea 44 - 56 Man Utd

Touches
Chelsea 659 - 775 Man Utd

Aerial Won
Chelsea 8 - 10 Man Utd

Tackles
Chelsea 19 - 21 Man Utd

Corners
Chelsea 5 - 7 Man Utd

Fouls
Chelsea 7 - 17 Man Utd

If you had shown me these numbers before the game you would think it was a close affair but Man Utd would of managed to nick it. It really came down to execution and the players on the pitch and Chelsea's players were simply better and more tactically disciplined in front of defense.
Additional stats:

Big Chances
Chelsea 3 - 0 Man Utd

Shots on target inside the box
Chelsea 5 - 2 Man Utd

Errors leading to goal / shot
Chelsea 0 / 0 - 1 / 0 Man Utd

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What positions are we about equal or superior in?
Pretty much all of them. Hazard, Willian and maybe Costa (in form) are two players that would comfortably make our first team. To say that we have maybe two players who would get into theirs is batshit mental. The likes of Baillly, Shaw, Pogba, Herrera, Martial and Valencia would comfortably make their first team when in form, no way in hell I am willing to believe that Cahill, David Luiz, Alonso, Victor Moses, Kante, Oscar, Matic or Pedro are comfortably head and shoulders above anyone we have, that's plain nonsense.

The Chelsea love-in after that game is ridiculous. They were even worse than us last season and have been shown up against Liverpool and Arsenal already this season. They are far from being a top side and have just as many deficiences in their squad as we do.

Personnel wise there was nothing between the teams out there yesterday. Hell, they had Victor Moses on the wing and you are telling me that there is no way that any of our outfield players in the entire squad of ours would be considered for their first team!

Last edited:

Player Ratings

3.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 513 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Chelsea 1:1 Man Utd