PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 05 November 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
The main problem I think is how easily Pogba injury has affected us. I mean it is ridiculous that a team can't do anything proper in absence of Pogba. And to mention that Pogba didn't even look out of the world in the matches. I believe that whatever combination we pick from Herrera, Mata, Miki, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Lingard should be able to do a job. But somehow the players seem to not be able to create anything over 90 mins, whatever combination we take. People are calling for Rashford, Martial to work together and all kinds of combination.. IMO, it is only wishful thinking that the combinations will work.
It's not just one injury though, is it? Several to key players. Personally, I'm not a fan of either Smalling or Jones, the former has no idea how to pass and the latter shouldn't be a defender. Rojo is better than both and is an obvious miss - people may have forgotten just how good he was last year when he bullied the crap out of Costa and would have done the same to Morata, yesterday.

Along with Pogba, we lost Fellaini and Carrick, too. One was in the form of his life, at least at United, and the other extended his contract to be utilised in precisely the situation we find ourselves in at this moment. But both have been injured and that's meant that we've had to go into these big games playing in a 2v3 midfield battle and we've come out with 4 points from 9.

Then you look at our attack - we obviously had a plan to wait for Ibra to return to fitness rather than buy another forward. Not sure if it's the right move but we'll see soon. In turn, we're putting more of a responsibility on the shoulders of three young/er players in Rashford, Martial and Lingard - all of whom have been either good or brilliant this season. Mkhi started on fire and has fallen away in such an expected manner - to go from 6 assists on 4 games to can't even control the ball is shocking and hardly the fault of our manager. Persisting with him is an obvious tactic to show faith which is what you'd want to do when a player is mentally down.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Well and truly outclassed yesterday, Chelsea deserved the win,
we didn't even look like scoring.
. Towards the end some of them looked too scared to move the ball up the pitch.

The key to the match was in midfield, there's was a cut above ours, Matic and Herrera are running on empty, both need a rest. Fabregas was top class, Bakayoko has been a good signing for them (posters on here saying he was rubbish have no clue)

We need to find a young version of Carrick and also an upgrade on the number 10's we currently have.
We would have taken the lead if Rashford hadn't closed his eyes for the early chance from Young's cross.

Robindinho

What annoys me as much as anything is the lack of intensity we play at... Why do our players always look tired? That or they’re just lazy.

Constantly seem to almost be walking around the pitch, whether that be defending or attacking. Our ‘pressing’ game is Rashford closing down the keeper/defender but without really putting them under any pressure and that’s about it - every one else just watches. Then when we have the ball, we don’t go anywhere at pace. Just casually and slowly pass it across the back and then hoof it as soon as we’re pressed. The odd time we get up the pitch, there’s no movement off the ball to open up space or quick one touch passing. Everything is slow and static.

Dummy786

Lets be honest, it was a bad result and a bad performance. Herrera would not get in to any top teams. Mikhy just does not cut it.

A manager has to do with the best he has and get 110% out of each and everyone. You have to give them some freedom to play and play with a smile.

None of the players seem happy, situation is getting from bad to worse.

Lukaku can not do anything without the ball, he loses the ball 99% of the time therefore can not hold the ball up or frighten any defenders

Some of the players have no heart just big wages!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Didn't we keep winning 4-nil every time Matic and Pogba played?
Against shit teams that we started to destroy towards the last quarter of most matches. It was obvious once we'd play a decent team, this football was never gonna work. We weren't many but some of us still thought we were "flattering to deceive"

SachinJ22

Poster of Nonsense
Everything is slow and static.
That has been the issue since SAF left, 2 managers couldn't fix that and the 3rd one is struggling to fix it. I'm not an expert but there has to be something wrong with the coaching. Mkhi, Martial, Lukaku and Rashford all have pace but they aren't able to take advantage of it because of slow and bad passing from the defence and midfield.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Gary Neville pretty much saying what i did in an earlier post and during the game:

Analysing the game further on the Gary Neville Podcast, he said: "The intent was there but if you haven't got quality and composure in midfield, you're going to struggle. Passes weren't connected, whereas with Chelsea, there was rhythm in their passing. Chelsea had rhythm, United only had moments.

"For me, Fabregas was the man of the match because he got control of the game and that was the difference for me. Chelsea's midfield gripped this game. I don't feel Manchester United's midfield did."
We've been like that for ages. Just don't have the accuracy and quick thinking in midfield. It's always worse when Herrera's played (apart from that one time..against Chelsea, funnily enough), and everyone's hero on here, Fellaini, certainly doesn't do any favours.

Robindinho

That has been the issue since SAF left, 2 managers couldn't fix that and the 3rd one is struggling to fix it. I'm not an expert but there has to be something wrong with the coaching. Mkhi, Martial, Lukaku and Rashford all have pace but they aren't able to take advantage of it because of slow and bad passing from the defence and midfield.
Completely agree, Moyes was just Moyes, van gaal was too obsessed with slow pointless possession and Jose prioritises defensive structure. None of them it seems want or wanted to focus on how we atttack as a team whether that be a pattern of play as in off the ball runs or interchanging with each other to create space.

Yes we do have some limited players in the squad but I refuse to believe that the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Mata, Mkhi and Martial can’t play fast flowing football. They’d thrive in the systems Pep, Poch or even Klopp play.

rtr

It was an issue even when SAF was around, it's not been rooted out yet.

Johnnyrotten

Must admit this defeat is very hard to take due to the realisation of the lack of quality in the side compared to others.Weve been watching hoofball for the past month or so and it’s getting embarrassing.We have been outplayed by Liverpool,Huddersfield,Benfica and Chelsea.very concerning times

fellaini's barber

Fair comment, but are you saying that in just over a season we have every right to expect Mourinho or any other manager, to have taken us from being bang average (let's take all biase out of this) to champions, and anything less and he deserves the sack?

If that's what anyone expects then I can understand why so many are so stressed about United at present, but it's their own fault for having ridiculous and naive expectations.
Nobody is saying he should be sacked if we're not champions, you just made that up. What we expect is to challenge at least, but as it is, it's only November but it already looks like we're out of it. We're still bang average, at least against any half decent decent opposition, despite spending bucketloads of money. Our football is very poor, the squad is filled with dross. It's not ridiculous and naive expect something better than this at the moment

lex talionis

Frustration is completely warranted, but let's not fall into despair. We created two chances (Lukaku and Rashford) but we created a gap in the back line when Jones lost his mind. Chelsea were deserving winners but they didn't play us off the park.

The desperate need is for for Pogba to come back. Truth be told, we also need Ibra. Lukaku will be worth the 90m we spent on him but like all strikers do from time to time he's hit a wall. He'll get through it but Lukaku will be a more productive striker for us if he can get some rest from time to time and Ibra is the man to step in.

City may (or maybe not) be out of reach this season but I'd still call it a successful season if we end up second in league, go to the QF in the CL and go deep in the FA Cup and league cup.

I've been in a foul mood all day because of yesterday. Just putting that out there. Posting after a defeat which gets to me is my primal scream therapy.

Von Mistelroum

It's quite simple. We don't have enough good football players. We have a couple of big lumps who can do a job, we have a couple of proper footballers, but then we have players who really don't belong at a top, top club and clearly wouldn't play for Chelsea, Bayern, City, Madrid, Barca, even Tottenham tbh. The likes of Herrera (these days), Mkhi, Lingard, Darmian, Blind, Jones, Smalling, Fellaini, even rashford most of the time looks like he has very little control over the ball, or even over his own legs. If he gets past people he often seems surprised that the ball ended up there. We need more class. More players who can really play football. Players like Pogba, Mata, Bailly (mostly), Matic, Martial (mostly) and Zlatan. Those few, along with De Gea are the only ones I'd be confident of getting into a top side other than ours.

Coops73

I was surprised how open the game was, their midfield dominated and we played with 10 men because Mhki was a passenger yet again.

I’m not sure we were as bad as some are making out, for me there were moments where they controlled and attacked and visa versa, they just had that bit more quality in attack and if Rashford had kept his eyes open for that header (something you’re taught from day 1) it could of been a very different game.

We need to smash the toon after the break, lukaku needs to find his scoring boots in that game and Ross needs dropping, either that or Rachel needs to to start giving him a pre match nosh.

Croftona7

Nobody is saying he should be sacked if we're not champions, you just made that up. What we expect is to challenge at least, but as it is, it's only November but it already looks like we're out of it. We're still bang average, at least against any half decent decent opposition, despite spending bucketloads of money. Our football is very poor, the squad is filled with dross. It's not ridiculous and naive expect something better than this at the moment
I can't argue with you on those points, I'm frustrated like the rest of us.

Losing to Chelsea really hurts, because I hate them so much! They're nearly up there with Liverpool in that regard for me.

Have to say what a header from Morata.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
What the feck is this shit?!

It was a poor display but pull your head out of your arse you pathetic waste of sperm.
I'd suggest you keep your words in check before mouthing off. If you don't like the post, you don't have to reply. If you have to reply, find the right words to provide a counter argument. Targeted harassment online is unbecoming of members in this forum.

There is no doubt in my mind that De Gea deserves to be playing in a better team. And at this point in time Manchester City is one of the best teams in Europe. So, if he does choose to go there, or any other better team, I'd totally understand.

MZX7

I wouldn't feel bad if you went off and supported them too. Call yourself a United fan? Shameful.
Yea, I really wouldn't feel bad if he goes to City. At least they seem to be building a world class team. So, should he choose to go there, I'd be ok with it. Not that I'd want him to succeed there, but I'd totally understand his decision.

I'd suggest you keep your words in check before mouthing off. If you don't like the post, you don't have to reply. If you have to reply, find the right words to provide a counter argument. Targeted harassment online is unbecoming of members in this forum.

There is no doubt in my mind that De Gea deserves to be playing in a better team. And at this point in time Manchester City is one of the best teams in Europe. So, if he does choose to go there, or any other better team, I'd totally understand.
It was a very poor remark you made, though I agree, the reply was OTT.

MZX7

It was a very poor remark you made, though I agree, the reply was OTT.
Yea, it was a poor remark. I know I'd tear my hair off to see him at City, but if United continues to be a crap team and he has no other option but City, I don't think any of us can question his reasons for leaving. Not that we would want him to succeed there, but I'd blame us than him for his decision.

Also if every poor remark on this forum was met with such viciousness from other members, there wouldn't be a lot of posters left to argue with.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
De Gea should just go play at a better club. He deserves to leave. I wouldn't feel bad if he goes to Manchester City too. They look like they're gonna be a force in Europe.
Don't wum please.

MZX7

Don't wum please.
Can you blame me for getting so frustrated by our lack on intent or lack of direction in putting together a world class team even after spending millions in the market and getting huge sponsorship deals?

How many world class teams would have Young, Valencia, Smalling, Lingard, Fellaini in their match day squads? And how many would start?

Can you see these players at Barcelona, Real, Bayern, PSG, City? Heck I don't even think they'd get picked at Spurs or Chelsea.

The whole situation is a clusterfeck.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I don't know about any of that, but statements like the one I quoted above invite people to call you all sorts because it's an over the top attempt at a wum, even if you didn't mean to be so.

minoo-utd

Jose said before that the team he took looked sad and disbelief, what I have seen lately that the team is still sad specially after Liverpool game Jose didn't stop commenting on media and fans and what so ever, players again look unhappy Jose what you gonna do about it now?

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
I'm surprised Mata does not play more when Pogba is injured, he links up well.

I empathise with you lot disliking JM's tactics when he goes away and appears to be playing for a draw, it used to irk me too when he was at SB.

Strange that he stood outside the players tunnel to shake the Chelsea player's hands, not sure what that was all about.

MZX7

I don't know about any of that, but statements like the one I quoted above invite people to call you all sorts because it's an over the top attempt at a wum, even if you didn't mean to be so.
People are free to state their opinions without resorting to abuse. Etiquette is the backbone of civil society.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
People are free to state their opinions without resorting to abuse. Etiquette is the backbone of civil society.
Agreed, but we all know inflammatory posts produce inflammatory reactions. Not having a go, mate, just stating the obvious.

Ban

Can you blame me for getting so frustrated by our lack on intent or lack of direction in putting together a world class team even after spending millions in the market and getting huge sponsorship deals?

How many world class teams would have Young, Valencia, Smalling, Lingard, Fellaini in their match day squads? And how many would start?

Can you see these players at Barcelona, Real, Bayern, PSG, City? Heck I don't even think they'd get picked at Spurs or Chelsea.

You said you'd be pleased to see City winning the title. Please..

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Against shit teams that we started to destroy towards the last quarter of most matches. It was obvious once we'd play a decent team, this football was never gonna work. We weren't many but some of us still thought we were "flattering to deceive"
True. As did I. But then Huddersfield?

MZX7

Agreed, but we all know inflammatory posts produce inflammatory reactions. Not having a go, mate, just stating the obvious.
There is a difference between inflammatory posts and abusive ones. I hope you can tell the difference. Since things are pretty obvious to you.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
There is a difference between inflammatory posts and abusive ones. I hope you can tell the difference. Since things are pretty obvious to you.
Yeah well, thread is being derailed.

Shutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 493 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win