PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 April 2019

Run_time_error

Shame, it all started so well. When we scored I thought we'd push on but conceding like we did looked like it killed confidence. Great work by Shaw for the goal but I had to laugh when I saw Lukaku play the chip, it worked but boy it looked awkward, not exactly Messi is he? Too bad we didn't get the three points we so desperately needed. Not mathematically over yet and everyone around us is just as hopeless right now so you just can't count us out yet, bad as we are.

I just hope Ole's talk of getting a good preseason in actually comes to pass.

ice-bionic red

Not good enough. When we need to win we bring on McTominay? WHY???

We are where we are and don’t deserve the CL football next season. Season over

red4ever 79

To be fair he showed more energy and drive than Matic did all game. Felt Ole got his line up wrong yesterday, plus the second game in a row at home where we have been abject in the second half. Players look gassed

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

To free up Pogba, it made sense in a way. However, we as a team played a shit 2nd half, clueless how to attack, so....

Dr Fink

Another lacklustre display, more so second half. Rashford was awful again, at least his attitude improved slightly than against City. He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team as he's obviously been carrying an injury for a bout 6-7 games. We need a massive upgrade up front and in the holding midfield area.

As for DDG.............it keeps getting worse. He's not allowed anymore or he'll use up the credits he has for saving us in the past <ahem>.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We simply are not one of the best four in the CL any more.Yet again after a promising start we faded like a bunch of pub team players. As soon as their goal went in, I knew we weren't going to win. Never seen a United team get so down-hearted so quickly so often. Yet again rashford was poor, yet again Pogba disappeared after half-time, yet again DDG had a horror. Sorry, I don't believe as this "he's built up credit" nonsense. He needs a rest and should be told he isn't so much being dropped as being given an extra-long holiday. It's not his confidence that's the problem, it's his concentration. There are times when you give a guy your full backing and times when you have to take him out of the firing line.

Really worryingly, when Ole was asked after the game what went wrong, why we dropped off, he looked like the proverbial rabbit caught in the headlights. He had absolutely no idea and no answer. As much as I love him, he simply doesn't have the experience at this level. I know he didn't have much to work with from the bench, but he has now failed in the past three or four games to rect when the opposition changed tactics.

Having said that, it never really looked like Chelsea were going to go on and beat us - they aren't what they used to be either

Gary Nev and Souness seem to think because we are United we will still attract good players despite not being in the CL, but will we get the best players?

There were some positives: I though Bailly and Lindelof looked pretty solid together (I'm aware Bailly is as fragile as glass but that's because he's sometimes too brave) and Lukaku looked like a world beater for 40 minutes!

singhters

I can't understand why or how Rashford has kept his place, it's almost as if he's scared to drop him, his freekicks, shooting has been abysmal why has he started every game under ole ???? for a young player his head is massive and he needs bringing back down to earth.

We got so many problems its unreal upfront we are poor, lukaku rashford sanchez martial all tried up front with little success, we need a proper scorer someone a little older wiser someone rashford can learn from.

grahamo

I think Rashford is burnt out. Definitely needs to be rested. I'm burnt out watching that terrible United squad every week.
I think I need to forget about football till next season!

Lentwood

Can't believe the reaction on here...generally thought it was a fairly positive performance

We didn't miss out on top four because of De Gea or this game, we've missed out because we are probably the 5th/6th best team in the PL and proved it consistently over the course of the season

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can't believe the reaction on here...generally thought it was a fairly positive performance

We didn't miss out on top four because of De Gea or this game, we've missed out because we are probably the 5th/6th best team in the PL and proved it consistently over the course of the season
Not quite conclusive yet but yes we haven't been anywhere near CL standard

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think Rashford is burnt out. Definitely needs to be rested. I'm burnt out watching that terrible United squad every week.
I think I need to forget about football till next season!
Agreed. Glad that was my last game this season.
Two crap teams to try and finish decently then hopefully a big summer of ins and outs.

If we end up just shipping darmian and Valencia and bring in wan bissaka and rice I'll be scared.

youmeletsfly

We simply are not one of the best four in the CL any more.Yet again after a promising start we faded like a bunch of pub team players. As soon as their goal went in, I knew we weren't going to win. Never seen a United team get so down-hearted so quickly so often. Yet again rashford was poor, yet again Pogba disappeared after half-time, yet again DDG had a horror. Sorry, I don't believe as this "he's built up credit" nonsense. He needs a rest and should be told he isn't so much being dropped as being given an extra-long holiday. It's not his confidence that's the problem, it's his concentration. There are times when you give a guy your full backing and times when you have to take him out of the firing line.

Really worryingly, when Ole was asked after the game what went wrong, why we dropped off, he looked like the proverbial rabbit caught in the headlights. He had absolutely no idea and no answer. As much as I love him, he simply doesn't have the experience at this level. I know he didn't have much to work with from the bench, but he has now failed in the past three or four games to rect when the opposition changed tactics.

Having said that, it never really looked like Chelsea were going to go on and beat us - they aren't what they used to be either

Gary Nev and Souness seem to think because we are United we will still attract good players despite not being in the CL, but will we get the best players?

There were some positives: I though Bailly and Lindelof looked pretty solid together (I'm aware Bailly is as fragile as glass but that's because he's sometimes too brave) and Lukaku looked like a world beater for 40 minutes!
This is Ole's major fault, not reacting quick enough to opposition changes, especially at half time.

I imagined a crazy scenario during the City game, after half time when we got out and were far worse than the 1st half:
- he either gave them a riot and the players got "offended" (classic man united these days)
- either guardiola outclassed him in changing his team at half time
- either Ole's instructions were absolutely shit

The sad part is that it might be all 3.

I feel the same shit happened at half time vs Chelsea as well. We looked fecking lost in the 2nd half.

Maticmaker

What was most worrying is how one mistake by the keeper leads to heads going down all over the pitch! De Gea is having a bad spell just now, but he has saved us on many occasion... suppose it shows just what an important talisman he is for us!

Imran Mamdani

The way Lukaku was huffing and puffing after like 24 mins was quite astonishing. Aren't these baldies trained to last the full 90 mins, are there health issues in the squad (looking at the performance stats of the players in recent games)... i think we have a combination of physical and mental fitness issues currently...

rotherham_red

I'm taking EL on the chin next season. I'm sure Ole will view it as a chance to blood the kids (Axel, maybe TFM, Greenwood, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Laid, O'Connor) and we can finally use the summer window and do a proper clear out of the deadwood and the ones who don't want to be here. It'll likely mean Pogba and DDG go, which will be shit but if we can use the likely £250m+ those sales will generate as well as the c.£200m budget we are rumoured to have, we could do a proper rebuild and bring in a good quality of player which will a) ensure that we get top 4, and depending on the draw, maybe even win the EL.

POF

What a massive disappointment. Even after being on such a terrible run, top 4 opened up for United. 3 wins vs Chelsea at home, Huddersfield and Cardiff for top 4 was an absolute gift. But, they fall at the first hurdle.

The scale of the collapse and how quickly confidence has drained from the team after the high of Paris is incredible.

chinukapoor

Not a single drop of hope in that final half hour at home when a win was essential. No player had anything to offer. The fans knew it was a lost cause.

I can’t imagine any other club having so little spirit and accepting its fate. Arsenal excepted.

If only the players showed a bit more fire. We used to throw everything in the kitchen sink in the last 15 mins. Would win every 2nd ball. Would also have a player at the right place right time to collect the loose ball (OT would roar in the background). Now? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyril C

Season over.

Good for 30-40 minutes. Improvement on the 15mins we've managed to play with intensity.
I thought we played OK most of 1st half except for 1min, and 1st part of 2nd half until Bailly injury.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This game was a must win after Arsenal result. We just didn't had the ambition to pull a result.

sugar_kane

We seem to be adding another few minutes on our ability to play well each game.

Give it another 10-15 games and we might be able to play well for 90 minutes...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
A really disappointing day. We started great with a real high energy performance that got the crowd going. The team was pressing well, players were moving, making themselves available. It was exactly what you would want from a performance at home against another good team. Mata performed his role quite beautifully again in his preferred 10 role, whilst being asked to man mark Jorghino off the ball.

Focussing on De Gea's error misses the point. Second half there was just nothing. We didn't have a shot after the 52nd minute apart from Rojo's header in injury time. Think about that for a minute: in a game that was almost certainly a must win, we went 40 minutes without a single shot whilst drawing. That's abysmal by the standard of anyone and it was another example of how our football just lacks the basics, which is quite damning of our management and coaching setup. We just should a basic, reliable approach that gives us a fighting chance with the players we've got, but currently do not. If we concede, we are almost fecked.

Creatively we struggle because everything has to go through Pogba. As soon as Pogba is in front of the ball, we have nothing. Nobody from the back can play progressive passes or runs with any degree of reliabilty: none of our full backs, none of our centre backs and none of our other midfielders. So we essentially have a scenario where we either ask Pogba to sit deep and hamstring him, or we have him and our other forwards unable to be found. The thought of this team without Pogba currently is terrifying

Matic did well first half but look done by the end. His last 15 minutes were laughably bad. Lukaku ditto: Higuan looked bad, but Lukaku matched him by the end. Both were constantly offside and were passengers by the end of the game.
Well said. Our legs just looked heavier and heavier as the 2nd half moved on. Matic, Herrera (he has an excuse), Lukaku and Young looked spent after 65 minutes. When 2/3 rds of your midfield can't move easily a team is in trouble.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It's painful to watch us play at OT these days. We must be the only club not to make use of home advantage. OT used to be a fortress. Now anybody just comes in, plays us out of the park and walks out happily.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Creatively we struggle because everything has to go through Pogba. As soon as Pogba is in front of the ball, we have nothing. Nobody from the back can play progressive passes or runs with any degree of reliabilty: none of our full backs, none of our centre backs and none of our other midfielders. So we essentially have a scenario where we either ask Pogba to sit deep and hamstring him, or we have him and our other forwards unable to be found. The thought of this team without Pogba currently is terrifying.

Here we go. A good visualisation of how we struggled to have our forwards involved in the play across the 90 minutes. We spread it around the back quite nicely, but with Pogba further forward, nobody has the ball progression to link with the attack into the final third.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Serial weapon Garth Crooks has put Hazard in his team of the week.

First, he put him in centre midfield (fecking hell). Second, I thought he was thoroughly average, did I miss something?
We just played him really well I thought. Gave him freedom in safe areas and then screened him carefully in dangerous areas.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Serial weapon Garth Crooks has put Hazard in his team of the week.

First, he put him in centre midfield (fecking hell). Second, I thought he was thoroughly average, did I miss something?
that's three games running we've kept Hazard quite but twice we've failed to take advantage of it

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I see all the players social media is talking about "forgetting disappointment and moving on, focusing on last two games" etc. So bored with reading that bollox. Less social media more bloody practising passing to each other and not the opposition!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I see all the players social media is talking about "forgetting disappointment and moving on, focusing on last two games" etc. So bored with reading that bollox. Less social media more bloody practising passing to each other and not the opposition!
Well we also need to remember those last two games are completely meaningless now.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They're not, actually. We still have a slim chance. The game against Cardiff might end up being meaningless but packing it in now would be pathetic.
Yeah, if Chelsea lose to Leicester and draw to Waford, and Arsenal draw to Burnley... Come on, it's done. There are only as many opportunities as your opponents are going to give you. Play youngsters in the final two games.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah, if Chelsea lose to Leicester and draw to Waford, and Arsenal draw to Burnley... Come on, it's done. There are only as many opportunities as your opponents are going to give you. Play youngsters in the final two games.
Seriously. At this level you can't quit until it's over. We've seen crazier results this season. These last two matches are a godsend and we need to go all out on Sunday at least.

Denis79

I'm taking EL on the chin next season. I'm sure Ole will view it as a chance to blood the kids (Axel, maybe TFM, Greenwood, Garner, Gomes, Chong, Laid, O'Connor) and we can finally use the summer window and do a proper clear out of the deadwood and the ones who don't want to be here. It'll likely mean Pogba and DDG go, which will be shit but if we can use the likely £250m+ those sales will generate as well as the c.£200m budget we are rumoured to have, we could do a proper rebuild and bring in a good quality of player which will a) ensure that we get top 4, and depending on the draw, maybe even win the EL.
Not happening, not with these owners. They'll pocket that cash instead.

minoo-utd

No ambition. Not enough work. Tactics not good enough, neither quality. Ole's subs was shite as usual.
Worrying stuff, the future seems dark still.

Orestetes

It's not like we were doing a Mourinho and then got punished for it.

We came inches within scoring a second with that Bailly header. We had them on the ropes and the DDG decides to drop a clanger.

That killed any confidence this team had and looked completely uninspired in the second half. Still feels like a robbery. Like Fergie's last CL match. Thank De Gea you Spanish Shay Given you...
If we aren't able to recover from a setback just before half time then we don't deserve to win.

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Quite simply they had the chance to put there mark on the race for top four after both Arsenal and Spurs dropped points, they didn't they dont have any excuses anymore I am hoping that Ole is seeing enough to make decisions regarding the team for the coming season because the effort being put in just isnt enough.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Good luck with another blank season. You lot set out with a target of 4th. That’s Arsenal football
Winning the Europa League might yet prove not to be beyond us but if the season is a blank and we finish 5th/6th missing out on CL again, I feel we have made some progress after the final dog days of Wenger - I'm looking on the bright side

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
It's sarcasm newb. Somehow, we've been even more shit than you this year.
I'd say there's not much in it between us. You should win your last 2 games against relegated teams - winning our last 2 might be more of a struggle. chelsea's last 2 games look even tougher on paper. There might be a final twist - who knows?

Unfortunately I cannot see anyone get close next season to Liverpool and City.

SAFMUTD

The good side on De Gea's mistake is that it allows us to be more critical of our current situation. If we had won 1-0 most of the players would had rejoice and talk about how they went back to "the United way" and the press would make it easier for us. Instead we are under pressure and top 4 is most likely gone, which I think will be better for us in the long run.

The problem with the team, besides the results, is that we generate almost zero chances in attack. We have no clear game plan or attacking cohesion, we look toothless. Everyone keep praising how good we were in the first half, but how many chances we created? about 2.

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 15% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea