PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 4:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 August 2019

RedPed

Whatabouter.
United players smashing my Dream Teams in week 1. :drool: Thank you DDG, AWB, Maguire, Pogba, Martial and Rashford.

I'm so happy we've nullified City's GD on the first day, overshadowed the Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal victories and consigned Chelsea to the bottom of the league in one go.

Yeah it's just the one game but we get the feelgood factor for 8 days, sit pretty in the table and avoid any banter from the doubters and rivals. Super Frank and the Chelsea mob are welcome to it for now.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
James getting Kante booked was one of the moments of the match for me, apart from the goals obviously. He will be a menace for most of the defences. Also, Wall-bissaka is my favorite United player.
Daniel James would be such a perfect weapon to sub on against a defender who already has a yellow card. He's likely to get the player eviced through a red, or fall victim to not wanting to risk a card, giving him space to accelerate

Toad

Fantastic stuff, no complaints really. Well, we gave away a few pretty sloppy chances in the first half but seemed to grown into the game defensively.

AWB - who said he was terrible going forward?! He looks extremely fine going forward and we all know how solid he is defensively. Will be a fan favourite here, great signing.

Maguire - I didn't think he was amazing but he was good, I expect he'll just keep on improving as well - first game with the team.

Midfield options are not great, workmanlike but lacking in top quality. Pogba grew into the game bigtime though.

Loved the speed and intensity of Rashford, Martial and (shock) Lingard was also good. Seeing how much that goal meant to Dan James was brilliant, awesome to see a young player so intense. He's going to be a nightmare for defences this season.

Rashford and Martial caused them headaches but both dither a lot on the ball, need to improve their decision making and they'd be absolutely lethal!

4-0 against any Chelsea team is a brilliant result. Job very well done! Onto the next one!
Well he got man of the match so that’s pretty good going. Didn’t put a foot out of place and made some important interceptions.I don’t think Maguire was under any major pressure anyway but did everything right. AWB on the other hand, nothing gets past him. He was on par with Maguire in my opinion.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Weird game. We were actually pretty awful in possession but defended well (god bless you, ‘arry) and looked superb on the break. Chelsea looked pretty damn good at times but also looked absolutely terrible. Not sure what to make of it all. I definitely enjoyed it though!

dutchred

We will have much tougher opposition during the season no doubt and injuries will hit us more than most as our squad depth is very thin especially in midfield. BUt great start to what will be a very tough season.
We need to remember that Maguire said himself he had not trained a lot at Leicester and he and Lindelof need time playing together and will only get better.
We still need a Good DM and Mac is more box to box. Pity Garner is not quite ready

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Good to get the win but plenty to improve on. The midfield was predictably cut open at times and on another day we'd have conceded a couple.

RedGib

We won by 4 and conceded 0 I’m pissed and couldn’t care less
Enjoy the day everyone that’s what it’s all about we’re united fans and we have won our 1st game
I’m happy

wolvored

I hate to sound like a buzz killer, because I'm buzzing with the result, but I think we can all agree 4-0 flattered us. Very poor first half, but very good second. We improved in possession as the game went on and from the second goal onwards we looked absolutely lethal on the counter. I'm not convinced by Andreas in the centre of the park, he looked sloppy on the ball and didn't offer much besides the cross for Martial's goal. Very happy with AWB, Maguire and James. The latter especially, what a moment for him. Martial wasn't great, Rashford improved massively in the second half, I thought Lingard played pretty well throughout. McTominay had some great recoveries of possession. Overall a decent performance and a fantastic result. Not getting carried away, as there are still big weaknesses in our team, and our midfield depth is a worry. Great first steps though. No Young, Jones, Smalling and Matic was a sight for sore eyes. Maybe I'm being harsh on Smalling as he's not as bad as the other 3, but I do hope Tuanzebe is the 3rd choice CB now.
Tuanzebe the only CD on the bench so he must be

Gator Nate

So stoked after that!

First half, I attribute to rust. Ole said the right things at the break, though.

The defensive five is now a stone wall. Last year, when I head Smalling's or Jones' names, it was, "What did they do wrong this time?" I didn't hear Maguire's name much, but it was always good. And his defensive play... what a joy to watch. AWB was a beast. DeGea was tested and passed with flying colors.

For a "weak" midfield... we kept clean sheets and scored four goals. The midfield had something to do with that, I think. For all the criticisms they may deserve, who are you going to pull out, and who are you going to put in their place?

Our front line played well. Very well. That was fun to watch. I saw some patience and trust that was lacking at times last year.

11 players on the pitch looked like they were reading the same script for most of the show. Nice change of pace from last season.

Rashford is on pace for 76 goals now, right?

Maybe NBC set up their mics better, but Old Trafford sounded much louder today than even the peak of January/February when Ole was rolling.

Litch

Need to be clear whether we are a counter attacking team or not. First have we were all over the place, second structure was better. Pereira is not good enough and Scott was more comfortable when behind the ball defending. It's frustrating as two quality signings would have mad a big difference...

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Somebody predicted this score line on the transfer tweets thread last week and was slagged off by everyone. Of course it wasn’t perfect but 4-0 wins against rivals don’t come around very often and it’s one to celebrate. Kurt Zouma with his lunge at Rashford launched our season today.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Some midfield stability will certainly help, perhaps a calm, fit, Fred could step in on the left of midfield, and let McTominay slot in on right, Pogba could then be freer to push forward more often. I'm sure Ole will not want to change the team too much for Wolves, but possibly a change of formation?

Hercules

Daniel James would be such a perfect weapon to sub on against a defender who already has a yellow card. He's likely to get the player eviced through a red, or fall victim to not wanting to risk a card, giving him space to accelerate
The way Pereira played, I can see James getting starts very soon.

Neo_Mufc

I missed the game unfortunately but for us to smack 4 past our rivals is amazing on the first day of the season.

What a great way to start the season. Will be smiling all week!!!!!

K13

First time in such a long time that we have actually looked like a team rather than a collection of individuals. Well done OGS.

humdinger

What an entertaining game! Loved it, even if it was a bit hairy at times.

Our defence, especially Maguire, was brilliant. He dominated the penalty box and cleared everything.

Our forwards harried and harassed Chelsea’s defence like men possessed. I thought Lingard in particular was brilliant at that. And the way they destroyed Chelsea on the break was amazing.

Our midfield struggled and Chelsea controlled large parts of the game. But they battled and worked really hard for the team.

But that’s the most fun I’ve had watching United in ages.

Acole9

Outstanding
Well in lads, what a start! Shut all the clueless muppets up in here crying because we haven't signed 500 players which we don't need.

We've got the best squad in the country, all great characters. Now the scouse have lost Allison us and City are going to pull away and leave the rest of the pack behind :devil:.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We desperately need a calm head in Midfield. Shame City got Rodri, he looks like a tanned Carrick. Would have been perfect.

The amount of sloppy balls we gave away drove me up the wall.

Gator Nate

The way Pereira played, I can see James getting starts very soon.
James goes too hard to last, though I won't criticize him for that. Ole used him exactly as I hoped. He is what he is at the moment and that is perfect for the role Ole gave him. Over time, James may learn to pace himself better, but I want to go with this for now. :drool:

el3mel

Just finished watching the match.

We started the match pretty bad, weirdly disjointed and miss hitting every pass but we settled a little bit after Pen, so overall Chelsea were better and should have scored at least 1 or 2 goals I believe, missed 3 clear sitters, 2 hit the bar.

The second half was far better and more settled for us. We looked totally in control. The counter attacks were absolutely amazing and killed them.

Pogba even though he had a poor first half he was an absolute beast in the second one. Him, Scott, Rashford, Lindelof, AWB, Lindelof and Maguire all looked in top form.

Lingard and Periera were pretty poor and Martial, even though he scored, should and could have done more.

Overall did we deserve to win 4-0 ? Maybe not but I'm sure as hell we deserved to win. We controlled the second half as we wanted, and we took our chances in great way.

Amazing start to the season and huge boost of confidence to the lads and Ole. More of this please. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure what that face is for. When he was given time he was brilliant. But he was disposessed 5 times today and had 6 bad first touches. His passing was also only 77%. Compare that to his average on 1.8 dispossesed, 1.9 bad touches and 83.3 pass percentage. but 4 key passes and 2 assists showed what he is capable of. So when he was good he was brilliant but when he was bad he was awful...

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/97752/Show/Paul-Pogba

K13

Our defence, especially Maguire, was brilliant. He dominated the penalty box and cleared everything..
I actually thought he also helped us a great deal with his distribution today. The forward passes to Pogba really helped us get on the front foot.

Hercules

James goes too hard to last, though I won't criticize him for that. Ole used him exactly as I hoped. He is what he is at the moment and that is perfect for the role Ole gave him. Over time, James may learn to pace himself better, but I want to go with this for now. :drool:
Too hard? He floored Kante and Kante had to get a yellow to stop James. Imagine him doing it for 90 mins

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Game of two halves.

Excellent game management. Blistering pace against a fair standard of opposition.

OldPop

What a great start to this season, just what we needed to sweep away all the negative things that have been said during the summer. Ole and the team should have a lot of praise for turning a first shaky half hour into a party!

The Irish Connection

We won by 4 and conceded 0 I’m pissed and couldn’t care less
Enjoy the day everyone that’s what it’s all about we’re united fans and we have won our 1st game
I’m happy
Yes lad! We all have opinions and no one has a crystal ball too, so let’s enjoy this!

Zlatattack

Great performance, exceeded all expectations... Thanks for the Eid present Ole.

Fully Fledged

Will be interesting to see if James is used in those situations as his pace and running at people gets defenders backing off.
It might be good. I also think that Mata might be played in those situations as his ability to split a defence with a pass might be massive. A player like James running onto those balls with pace could cause defences problems.

Flying_Heckfish

Great performances all over, and an awesome result.

Chelsea were pretty bad though, they better hope they get some players back quick because Liverpool could really embarrass them.

The one deficiency we had today was at #10, neither Andreas nor Lingard convinced. Big opportunity for Gomes.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought the actual defence was really good today, but this midfield is going to be an issue. The times that we did look a little suspect at the back was due to the midfield getting overrun. Maguire, as many have already said, was fantastic. He is so assured on the ball it's a joy to watch.
We really improved in the second half and shut off most of the space that Chelsea was finding in the first. Rashford and Martial also improved after what was a fairly inconsistent first half. Some of the little flicks they were attempting just wasn't on at times and they were just forcing it. Pogba had a typical Pogba game, i suppose. At times he was sublime, and at others, very frustrating. But he's still our best outfield player.

Also nice to see that there's a very conscious effort to play out from the back, even though i have my heart in my mouth at times.

Good game to watch though; very entertaining i thought.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 901 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:0 Chelsea
  • 21% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea