PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Sat, 24 October 2020

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Both teams were fighting hard not to win this one.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
We really missed Martial. I thought we played mostly very poor. Bad passes from the whole team, and not sharper than Chelsea in the press. We still had the better chances, but feel like we could have won this game if some players were a bit more tidy and adventurous.

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
If kepa played we wouldve won.. if daniel james didnt play we wouldve won. The first half was wasted because he was on the pitch

Everyone else played well. Mcguire has some suspect moments though. 2 points lost in the end.

Hughie77

Had to listen on talksport. Didn't realise it was a Chelsea station.
That prick materface spent the entire game moaning that Chelsea never got a penalty and jizzing his pants whenever they made a pass.
Other than that I've no idea what happened.
It's talkshite, isn't it, listen to it on another station if you can, there Biased commentators on that station, I stopped listening over 6 years ago.

90 + 5min

We were better and should have won even if it was thight game. Lucky to not get penalty against us. It is not easy to hold Chelsea attack like we did. They didn't produce anything.

Lindelöf absolutly brilliant. It is not often we say that in here.

chiz2kul

Clear penalty. Mind boggling why it wasn't reviewed? Can't put golden boy under more mental duress maybe? Shocking decision regardless.

James - how he starts is beyond me.

Gotta feel for VdB, what can he do to start a game? He's had a good run in when played. Another mind boggling decision by Ole.

Cavani cameo was solid. Wan Bissaka consistently solid.

Kai and Werner were completely toothless. Mendy had a great game.

Overall a dire watch given the 2 overrated managers.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Chelsea on the ropes the whole game. Unfortunately Ole let them go by havingJames pretend to be a footballer.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
i remember when we were really good and used to lose to Chelsea at home, those results really hurt, probably because back then i cared.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Evra and JFH on Sky are showing more fire at each other than the players did.

Monkey bus

Happy with the result on reflection. Was never going to be a classic with both Managers having their defensive tactics regularly ripped apart by critics. The conditions didn’t help either.

We‘ll be better for a good defensive display. Would like to see DVB get a run out though.

If you’d asked me after the Spurs game if I’d take a draw and 2 wins from the next 3 games I’d have snatched your hand off.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Play a different lineup and we could very well have lost. No one knows what would have happened. All you can be sure of is that something *different* would have happened. What that is you'll never know.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We didn’t play well at all but would be unfair on Ole to pretend it was all that much different to post CL hangover games we saw multiple times a season under Fergie.

Chelsea were incredibly negative. Lampard only seems to know how to play far too open or with no ambition at all. When you spend as much money as they did on attacking talent that was pretty inexcusable. Although the result suits them better than us so fair’s fair, I guess?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Lots of disappointment on the caf tonight but I think we played OK, especially defensively and tested their keeper a few times. Chelsea came to defend and did a very good job.
Which is exactly why we should feel disappointed.

A point is not a bad result for either team but very uninspiring to watch. Fred and Mctom are a good defensive midfield pair but there's not a lot of creativity in the team if Bruno has an off day (and he had an off day). Maguire and Lindelof did well.
I thought Bruno was decent. I don't recall him losing ball, made some great passes and really helped to keep the posession.

McTominay and Fred are not the issue, it's what's happening in front of them. Although their passing was a little off today.

TheDoc

A beautiful defensive effort from both sides. These teams negated each other, United being the more dominant (can't believe Rashford didn't score on either of those chances) but 0-0 was a fair result. Boring, but a lot of positives too. I think James was a mistake, I would have gone for Telles instead, Mata is understandable but Cavani or Greenwood from start would have provided some extra danger in that third half. They probably thought Chelsea would play a more offensive game than they did, and went for James for his usefulness on the counter and Mata for his vision, but they're both quite toothless when it comes to breaking down a solid defensive side so it backfired.

Or maybe they wanted to tire Chelsea out by running at them keeping a high pressure then bring on some impact-subs towards the end but that too seems a bit misguided. They're a physically very fit team, and also Pogba rarely makes much of an impact so that too makes little sense.

I dunno... Wasn't a bad match, both defenses impressed and the result was fair. One of those games where a single goal would probably have opened it up wide and served us a spectacle.

MrBest

Strange team selection, strange tactics and dull game. Lampard wanted a draw and a clean sheet. I can probably see them getting another ten 0-0s at this rate. I'm not sure why James started given Telles, Rashford, Bruno, Pogba or Mata could have operated in his position and produced better. I think the Fred and Mctominay starting is negative, Ole needs to figure out how to get Bruno and Pogba/VDB in the team. Lots to do, our first clean sheet in the league, still cannot win at home, we have played 3 out of 5 there. 7 points from 15 which is 46% points rate and just won two. Ole needs to do a lot better, i know he has not been back but that team on papper should be doing a lot better.

R77

Best we have played at home all season. Progress.
This :lol:

Disappointingly dull, tight game in quite literally p*ss poor conditions. They set up to stifle our game and did pretty well at it. For some reason Dan James was on the pitch for 55mins, but not a terrible result all things considered.

tjb

Lots of disappointment on the caf tonight but I think we played OK, especially defensively and tested their keeper a few times. Chelsea came to defend and did a very good job.
At least we know we've fixed our fitness problems and given time, our fans will realize we are going to be hard to beat. The real question now is...what are we as a team? I thought I knew after the lockdown, but it's clear the directive has changed. I'm still also not a fan of Fred and Mctominay in midfield together, I feel our team can now create chances consistently with Bruno in, but playing Fred and Mctominay together means we are finding it difficult to break through the midfield line, as fred in particular struggles with forward passing under pressure.

Caius

Obviously disappointing not to win but I didn't think it was as bad as many here seem to. Solid defensively, tested Mendy with some good shots, Cavani got into some good positions in his first gametime in months. James was pretty abysmal though, glaringly weak link throughout the first half.

A team with Cavani Pogba Bruno Greenwood and Rashford on the pitch (though for only part of the game) ought to do better, but it was terrible weather and on the whole we were more likely to score. Not great but not bad either.

Hughie77

Mata played well?
Agree Mata had good game, has in everyone he's played, doesn't give the ball away. And maybe that's why he started, he looked a bit pissed when he was withdrawn. As for James I think he's got one club in his bag . Can see him being shipped out next season.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Chelsea look like a bang average team. If we had been braver this could have been 3 easy points.
And what about DvB? Does he have an affair with Ole‘s daughter? Would love to see him getting a run of games.

baskinginthesun

If kepa played we wouldve won.. if daniel james didnt play we wouldve won. The first half was wasted because he was on the pitch

Everyone else played well. Mcguire has some suspect moments though. 2 points lost in the end.
What? Which moments?

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea