PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 November 2021

Maticmaker

Not an easy watch, but given United's recent form, it was 'job done'. Although if Fred, who had an otherwise great game, had not for a brief moment reverted back to doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, we could have made the 'steal' of the century and taken all the points. Still it is the eighth game on the trot that Chelsea have failed to beat us... (faint cheering in the background)
I must say once again congratulations to our travelling fans they sang all the way through the match, even when at times it looked like we were defending at the Alamo! Well done to all!

Salford_Red83

Am I the only one that thought that was a decent result?

In spite of everything going on we got a decent point away at Chelsea. Yes it was touch and go for a while early on but we were a real threat in the second half and but for a stupid penalty we could have won it!

Heck if Fred had passed to Lingard instead of trying to chip Mendy we would have nicked it at the death.

I think some people on here need to learn about context and perspective.

RedDF

Not an easy watch, but given United's recent form, it was 'job done'. Although if Fred, who had an otherwise great game, had not for a brief moment reverted back to doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, we could have made the 'steal' of the century and taken all the points. Still it is the eighth game on the trot that Chelsea have failed to beat us... (faint cheering in the background)
I must say once again congratulations to our travelling fans they sang all the way through the match, even when at times it looked like we were defending at the Alamo! Well done to all!
I might be biased but we honestly have the best away fans on earth!

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
I have read all the comments and to be honest some of them really do show how low some of your expectations have low they have become.

Had that been Brighton or maybe even Burnley then congratulations for the set up and indeed the result but come on you are Manchester Utd . A club with great traditions a hugley talented and expensive squad whoto be perfectly honest shouldn’t be looking at a draw as being a great result

Of course you were a couple of players short, as were we. Of course we are league leaders but with the players out you had a real chance to go toe to toe with us

It does surprise me that so many question the penalty. It was. You kick a player and don’t get the ball when the ref is looking directly at it then it’s going to be given.

I can honestly say I have never seen such a negative approach from a Man Utd team . If that satisfies you then good luck and we’ll done

But and of course it’s a but had you gone a goal down, which really should have been the case, I am not sure what or how you could have changed matters

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think a lot is forgotten of how much investment was made the summer before last. Frank Lampard was unlucky that the players didn't have time to bed in.

Tuchel may have done a great job. That is hard to deny, but that investment always had the potential to come good.
Yeah, that was my immediate first thought when I wanted to comment on Chelsea's improvement but when you really think of it properly, it is not the case. Their signings from the Summer of 2020 have still been largely disappointing: Ziyech and Werner have been flat out bad, Chilwell has been injured a lot and they've performed well without him too, Havertz has also been largely hit and miss. The players who have been mainstays of their well performing team under Tuchel are all either youth products (CHO, James, Chalobah, RLC) or players who were underwhelming prior to his arrival (Alonso, Rudiger).

Wilt

On the balance of play we stole a point and and put a small dent in Chelsea’s title challenge.

captaincantona

I have read all the comments and to be honest some of them really do show how low some of your expectations have low they have become.

Had that been Brighton or maybe even Burnley then congratulations for the set up and indeed the result but come on you are Manchester Utd . A club with great traditions a hugley talented and expensive squad whoto be perfectly honest shouldn’t be looking at a draw as being a great result

Of course you were a couple of players short, as were we. Of course we are league leaders but with the players out you had a real chance to go toe to toe with us

It does surprise me that so many question the penalty. It was. You kick a player and don’t get the ball when the ref is looking directly at it then it’s going to be given.

I can honestly say I have never seen such a negative approach from a Man Utd team . If that satisfies you then good luck and we’ll done

But and of course it’s a but had you gone a goal down, which really should have been the case, I am not sure what or how you could have changed matters
oh pipe down...when a ship is sinking you don’t keep trying to sail it...you stop it from sinking first. We set up that way for a reason and it sets a better tone for the new boss...Utd fans are being quite realistic these days in acknowledging where we are as a club...it comes in fits and starts...

However your organic rebuild turned to shite as well but your business model is succeed or feck off...must make following Chelsea a bit of a strange experience because you don’t really know who you have to follow from year to year...it’s like you support a jersey and not those wearing it...you fuked a club legend in the bin as well and appointed the next guy on the list...He is doing well..for now...and as a result your legacy...in 20 years...if you have one...will not be of a great side that was exceptional season after season competing consistently and playing in a memorable Chelsea fashion (Barca, Real, Bayern, Us, Pool potentially, City under Pep)...your legacy is a series of great and not so great managers (16 in 16 years...just wow) stepping up to play Russian roulette (almost litterally) taking charge of whichever players are last in the revolving door...no real identity...just a “who’s next” approach since Mourinho was first chopped...and your kids will never associate with any Chelsea greats cause there won’t be any...cause...well....You’re club is rich and is in London...and the shine wears off...and with no manager to play for...it all becomes a bit of a fad...like Tuchel...he will be gone in two years...and replaced by another new kid on the block...and you win something...and then you’re fairly inadequate again for a while ...and considering The amount of money you spend...it’s all...quite soulless really...so it is a bit rich of a Chelsea fan to talk so loftily.

Enjoy your moment...it speaks volumes that we are trying so hard not to become Chelsea.

SirScholes

Simmer down petal I remember games you came to OT without a striker man haha
Looks like you turned up yesterday without one as well

Posh Red

Chelsea have played negative, defensive football with super expensive squads plenty of times over the years.

Zevvythered

Absolute loved hearing the United fans singing about Ole Last night...

Yes he was a terrible manager but he will forever be in my heart for that goal he scored in the Camp Nou

eire-red

Salty or what?

We just sacked our manager, and are on a terrible run of form. What did you expect? Go out all guns blazing and get taken apart? At least we'll show "United Tradition".

A draw at Stamford Bridge is a good result in any season, we have a poor record there. This is just an idiotic post. Did you really waste all that time creating your account just to come up with this drabble?

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Oh please! Those two dropped points starting to sting?

Red Royal

In all of the drama yesterday, it was so good that Lukaku did not steal it at the death. That would have been gut wrenching, and the chance for Rudiger if he was on the end of it would have been taken.

OK overall. We were outplayed but in the end unlucky not to win.

Result reflects the hierarchy of the league. With a decent coach we can be better than Chelsea, who themselves are nowhere near the level of Liverpool and City.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Salty or what?

We just sacked our manager, and are on a terrible run of form. What did you expect? Go out all guns blazing and get taken apart? At least we'll show "United Tradition".

A draw at Stamford Bridge is a good result in any season, we have a poor record there. This is just an idiotic post. Did you really waste all that time creating your account just to come up with this drabble?
Sometimes the truth just hurts and alas my comments really don’t just reflect my take on it but also a significant number of even Utd supporters

I actually expected you to approach the game far more aggressively indeed your team have the tools .

Try reading my first paragraph again and then just look at the reasons you put forward as to why that approach was taken.

For instance

“We just sacked our manager, and are on a terrible run of form”

”Chelsea have played negative, defensive football with super expensive squads plenty of times over the years.”

”Simmer down petal I remember games you came to OT without a striker man haha”

“Utd fans are being quite realistic these days in acknowledging where we are as a club...it comes in fits and starts...”

This isn’t about where Chelsea are , how we are or indeed our business model if you don’t grasp that they you are in denial

largelyworried

Being happy with a point after a bad spell with an interim manager and being happy with a point as our long term vision for the club are plainly two different things. I know you know the difference and are just stirring the pot, but really, it comes across as pretty dense to claim you don't know the difference.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

We have no manager.
Confidence within the team is so low after huge losses to city and pool.

Honestly, what did you expect us to do? Maybe you should worry about your own team. And what's happened to your £70m goalkeeper? I repeat, £70m on a goalkeeper!!

Hammondo

oh pipe down...when a ship is sinking you don’t keep trying to sail it...you stop it from sinking first. We set up that way for a reason and it sets a better tone for the new boss...Utd fans are being quite realistic these days in acknowledging where we are as a club...it comes in fits and starts...

However your organic rebuild turned to shite as well but your business model is succeed or feck off...must make following Chelsea a bit of a strange experience because you don’t really know who you have to follow from year to year...it’s like you support a jersey and not those wearing it...you fuked a club legend in the bin as well and appointed the next guy on the list...He is doing well..for now...and as a result your legacy...in 20 years...if you have one...will not be of a great side that was exceptional season after season competing consistently and playing in a memorable Chelsea fashion (Barca, Real, Bayern, Us, Pool potentially, City under Pep)...your legacy is a series of great and not so great managers (16 in 16 years...just wow) stepping up to play Russian roulette (almost litterally) taking charge of whichever players are last in the revolving door...no real identity...just a “who’s next” approach since Mourinho was first chopped...and your kids will never associate with any Chelsea greats cause there won’t be any...cause...well....You’re club is rich and is in London...and the shine wears off...and with no manager to play for...it all becomes a bit of a fad...like Tuchel...he will be gone in two years...and replaced by another new kid on the block...and you win something...and then you’re fairly inadequate again for a while ...and considering The amount of money you spend...it’s all...quite soulless really...so it is a bit rich of a Chelsea fan to talk so loftily.

Enjoy your moment...it speaks volumes that we are trying so hard not to become Chelsea.
You sound really salty. They are doing no different to other top teams, they go through managers very quickly once they start producing poor results. Chelsea have been the more successful manager than we have in quite a few years now, they have picked managers pretty well, rarely had to change a lot of players with new managers and continued a style pretty well over the managers.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Chelsea fans should be the last complaining about getting a result with a defensive set up.
For us it was a decent point against 12 men and taking into account our recent poor form.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

In spite of everything going on we got a decent point away at Chelsea. Yes it was touch and go for a while early on but we were a real threat in the second half and but for a stupid penalty we could have won it!

Heck if Fred had passed to Lingard instead of trying to chip Mendy we would have nicked it at the death.

Well at least I am with you on that.
There are times when you just have to do what is necessary to get a result. And in this case, an away draw at the top of the table is a result. Particularly taken the terrible recent results and performances.

Something for the new manager to build on.

captaincantona

You sound really salty. They are doing no different to other top teams, they go through managers very quickly once they start producing poor results. Chelsea have been the more successful manager than we have in quite a few years now, they have picked managers pretty well, rarely had to change a lot of players with new managers and continued a style pretty well over the managers.
Not salty at all...had 5 minutes to spare on a break. However, I don’t agree with the points you make. I was serious...Chelsea have had 16 managers in 16 years...each with different styles and formations...that is excessive no matter what club...it’s the definition of mercenary and so I genuinely meant it...it must be weird supporting a club like that...what are you supporting? And I truly hope Utd don’t end up like that...cause we are certainly on the same trajectory.

Anyway, a bit of guff for a rival fan is easily taken on the chin. He is big boy...I’m sure if he wants to he’ll give me some stick back...god knows we deserve stick..just not for the reasons he is giving.

Bearded One

Sometimes the truth just hurts and alas my comments really don’t just reflect my take on it but also a significant number of even Utd supporters

I actually expected you to approach the game far more aggressively indeed your team have the tools .

Try reading my first paragraph again and then just look at the reasons you put forward as to why that approach was taken.

For instance

“We just sacked our manager, and are on a terrible run of form”

”Chelsea have played negative, defensive football with super expensive squads plenty of times over the years.”

”Simmer down petal I remember games you came to OT without a striker man haha”

“Utd fans are being quite realistic these days in acknowledging where we are as a club...it comes in fits and starts...”

This isn’t about where Chelsea are , how we are or indeed our business model if you don’t grasp that they you are in denial
Who is hurt by the truth? In my opinion, it is you. I know you are hurt because Liverpool and City have just closed down on your lead at the top of the table from a match everyone expected you to win for various reasons - United had been gifting teams points in the past few weeks so it was expected that this would be another similar occurrence, you were playing at home, you are on top of the league, our backs are against the wall, we have no manager, we were 20th in the league table regarding teams’ form, etc, etc.

For us one point is so precious to get our momentum back and fight another day given that we lost to Leicester, Liverpool, City, Watford in quick succession. You mention that a club with our tradition and pedigree should have gone against Chelsea toe to toe but willingly forget that we got bummed by worse teams like Watford and Leicester even with our tradition and pedigree and our aggressive tools and that we got embarrassed by the likes of Liverpool which are of a similar quality to yourselves.

What were you thinking in suggesting we should go toe to toe? No thanks! You wanted us to go toe to toe so that you can score four goals in the first half like Liverpool did to us? No thanks. I’d much rather see a conservative and pragmatic style that’s ultimately gave the team with the worst form in thr league one point against the league’s leaders. No thanks! And before you begin to claim holier than thou, Chelsea have been known over the years for a conservative approach from Mourinho to Conte and even now under Tuchel there is a huge element of defensive prioritization with three center backs.
If it was a City or Liverpool fan scolding United for being conservative, I’ll kind of understand but Chelsea is the last team that should scold another for adopting an approach they have so fond of using over the years.

Do cry me a river....

Last edited:

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Not salty at all...had 5 minutes to spare on a break. However, I don’t agree with the points you make. I was serious...Chelsea have had 16 managers in 16 years...each with different styles and formations...that is excessive no matter what club...it’s the definition of mercenary and so I genuinely meant it...it must be weird supporting a club like that...what are you supporting? And I truly hope Utd don’t end up like that...cause we are certainly on the same trajectory.

Yep you are right that’s a lot however worth taking a look at the likes of Real who actually have had more than us and Bayern at 15 sort of suggests we aren’t too far out of step as you suggest.
Ironically in the era post SAF your numbers are pretty much akin to ours

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Who is hurt by the truth? In my opinion, it is you. I know you are hurt because Liverpool and City have just closed down on your lead at the top of the table from a match everyone expected you to win for various reasons - United had been gifting teams points in the past few weeks so it was expected that this would be another similar occurrence, you were playing at home, you are on top of the league, our backs are against the wall, we have no manager, we were 20th in the league table regarding teams’ form, etc, etc.

For us one point is so precious to get our momentum back and fight another day given that we lost to Leicester, Liverpool, City, Watford in quick succession. You mention that a club with our tradition and pedigree should have gone against Chelsea toe to toe but willingly forget that we got bummed by worse teams like Watford and Leicester even with our tradition and pedigree and our aggressive tools and that we got embarrassed by the likes of Liverpool which are of a similar quality to yourselves.

What were you thinking in suggesting we should go toe to toe? No thanks! You wanted us to go toe to toe so that you can score four goals in the first half like Liverpool did to us? No thanks. I’d much rather see a conservative and pragmatic style that’s ultimately gave the team with the worst form in thr league one point against the league’s leaders. No thanks! And before you begin to claim holier than thou, Chelsea have been known over the years for a conservative approach from Mourinho to Conte and even now under Tuchel there is a huge element of defensive prioritization with three center backs.
If it was a City or Liverpool fan scolding United for being conservative, I’ll kind of understand but Chelsea is the last team that should scold another for adopting an approach they have so fond of using over the years.

Do cry me a river....
Yes we did indeed play with a three under Conte and indeed Tuchal that is 100% correct
Yes we have concentrated far more on defensive structure than many I will readily acknowledge that but what surprised me was just how ready to accept that similar approach so many were. Will that continue to be the case going forward?
Look believe it or not I thought we might get turned over because of the players we were missing: Kante, Lukaku & Chillwell to name 3 and yes I know you were missing Shaw , Pogba, Varanane and McGuire but other than Shaw none of your absentees have been pulling up trees.

Hey time to move on I genuinely hope you can close the gap to 4th and hope you batter Arsenal .

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes we did indeed play with a three under Conte and indeed Tuchal that is 100% correct
Yes we have concentrated far more on defensive structure than many I will readily acknowledge that but what surprised me was just how ready to accept that similar approach so many were. Will that continue to be the case going forward?
Look believe it or not I thought we might get turned over because of the players we were missing: Kante, Lukaku & Chillwell to name 3 and yes I know you were missing Shaw , Pogba, Varanane and McGuire but other than Shaw none of your absentees have been pulling up trees.

Hey time to move on I genuinely hope you can close the gap to 4th and hope you batter Arsenal .
Missing Shaw, Maguire, Varane, Pogba, Greenwood and Cavani. Ronaldo on the bench.

In form or not that's half of the first team.

Hughie77

Put his foot across to be kicked clever play from a typical player who's been around a while made the most of it and he did. And as good as Chelsea think they are, there not unbeatable by a far stretch getting the old big head out is a bit premature. 6 shots on target that was it . More errors off Chelsea I'd be more concerned about, and if I can remember against City no shots on target. And to have 2 main CBs out and a main left back . To get a deserved point at the beach was pretty good no Cavani either! Pretty much a decent 11 for Chelski. As they are the best team in the world. How long for current manager another season he be packing his bags. Players out give it a rest.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Mate the club has been in free fall this season, we don't even have an interim manager. I think our expectations are absolutely fine and are just reasonable for circumstances. If we are still approaching games like that in 6 months time then yes we have bigger issues and an enquiry will be needed. Context does matter and I actually think for this one-off game our approach was okay. Unlucky to get that soft penalty given which changed the game as Chelsea were looking pretty toothless.

I have to say for all the ranting about the Chelsea squad I maintain what I've said the last 12 months. They are a very good team, well drilled and coached to the absolute max and there's confidence flowing through that squad, but in terms of absolute top quality I still think its someway off of Liverpool, City or even a fully firing Utd. They just don't have that player that makes you scared or who can open up a really tight game, perhaps they don't need it but I still think it will cost them in the title race when compared to the other top competitors.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

What a strange post. Pretty much every top team/big club in Europe have a "win or feck off approach", you (and Arsenal if you still class them as such) are literally the only exceptions.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Chelsea were just as negative in the 0-0 draw at OT last season IIRC.

Context matters, we had to stop the bleeding, if we attacked you we would have lost 3 or 4-0, just the ugly reality of where we are as a club.

Teja

The problem is not the players, it's the coaching staff. We were abysmal against Pool and City and looked like a competent counter attacking side at Chelsea.

At any rate, draw to Chelsea away even during the good times is a decent result, there were many similar performances by Chelsea under Jose, Conte, Lampard and basically every single coach in modern memory.

It was a 50-50 ball and AwB was a millisecond late. It was one of those where if the ref didn't award that pen, VAR wouldn't have gotten involved. I very much doubt it would get called in regular open play if the challenge occurred on the half way line.

Foxbatt

OK overall. We were outplayed but in the end unlucky not to win.

Result reflects the hierarchy of the league. With a decent coach we can be better than Chelsea, who themselves are nowhere near the level of Liverpool and City.
What do you mean unlucky not to win? We were very lucky to get a draw.

Winrar

Point away at chelsea is always a good one, and this is especially true under current circumstances. We never had much success there even under fergie.

That being said I'm sure everyone here would've taken a draw here before the match. I think the circumstances you mentioned where we could've nicked a win is actually why a lot of people were frustrated with a draw.

captaincantona

What a strange post. Pretty much every top team/big club in Europe have a "win or feck off approach", you (and Arsenal if you still class them as such) are literally the only exceptions.
Since 2004...Liverpool and City 6, Utd 7 (if you include Giggsy), Athletico 8, Barca, PSG and Dortmund 10, Real 13, Bayern 14, Chelsea 17:houllier:...just own it man...Chelsea are a mercenary club...any style...any players...just win a trophy...and fair play...it’s worked...I just think it would be weird following a club that changes manager practically every season or so. It’s quite soulless as I said. At least Bayern hire...ya know...Bayern type managers for the most part...aware of the gravity and history of the role and club...same with Barca and Real. Chelsea just snap up the next big thing or hip name on the street and then Chuck em in the bin when it ain’t perfect. Must be weird being a Chelsea fan...that’s all.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Since 2004...Liverpool and City 6, Utd 7 (if you include Giggsy), Athletico 8, Barca, PSG and Dortmund 10, Real 13, Bayern 14, Chelsea 17:houllier:...just own it man...Chelsea are a mercenary club...any style...any players...just win a trophy...and fair play...it’s worked...I just think it would be weird following a club that changes manager practically every season or so. It’s quite soulless as I said. At least Bayern hire...ya know...Bayern type managers for the most part...aware of the gravity and history of the role and club...same with Barca and Real. Chelsea just snap up the next big thing or hip name on the street and then Chuck em in the bin when it ain’t perfect. Must be weird being a Chelsea fan...that’s all.
Since 2004
Real Madrid 17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Real_Madrid_CF_managers
Since 2004
Bayern15
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FC_Bayern_Munich_records_and_statistics
Since 2004
Dortmund 11
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borussia_Dortmund
Since 2004
Chelsea 17
https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=536&teamTabs=managers
Now here’s a bit of perspective
Holland, Newton, and Ray Wilkins were in post for days. The first two managed together . Others like Hiddink 16/2/09- 31/5/09 and 20/12/15-3/7/16 and Benitez 21/112-29/5/13 Weren’t permanent appointments all held the tag of Interim manager
Of course I fully acknowledge that we have a high turnover of managers . It would be churlish to ague otherwise but even in the PL we aren’t anywhere near close to the top in terms of hire and fire.
For instance
Watford 22
Leicester 21
Newcastle 19
Southampton 20
Leeds 22
Palace 19
Yep they include interims and caretakers just as does the Chelsea list

You we’re extremely lucky to have had SAF. There is no doubt about that but let’s be honest the numbers since he retired seem to be creeping up quite quickly
And yep Bayern do hire Bayern type managers and when I look at the likes of JM, Van G, Moyes I do wonder if they could be classified as Man Utd type managers?

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So three of the four most successful clubs of that time just happen to be the three with the most managers and the other is joint 4th.

Point proven!

Also to add further we have had two strong core group of players that saw us through the best part of a decade and are firmly establishing another, there's more than one way to skin a cat. The sooner you feck off this narrative that managers need x amount of unconditional time the better off a club you'll be for it. You had a glorious chance to challenge this season and you've (most likely) squandered it for a manager that was clearly never going to win the a trophy let alone the big two.

Last edited:

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 301 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd