PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 November 2021

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We beat Chelsea under Lampard a few times, it’s not really comparative. We are coming off a 4-1 loss to Watford.

It’s not about man to man, it’s about the fact Chelsea are clearly so much better coached and so much more confident. If we played that way in the last game of the season, then I’d be worried.

edit. Oh yeah and we had three of our back four out.
Are you going to tell me we can't dominate a midfield of Jorginho and Loftus CHeek? We have 3 guys and we can't outplay them? Give me a break. I'm tired of seeing us play so scared

ManRed

Difficult to be harsh with that midfield. Those 3 can't keep the ball to save their lives. It was understandable we were more dependant on a lucky break which we got. Bruno and Rashford were very poor on the top which did not help.

alexthelion

We weren’t half as shite as we have nearly all season. We have an inexperienced interim interim manager and a team very very low on confidence away to one of the top teams in the league. We weren’t fantastic but moaning about the performance is weird.
We were worse, stop sugar-coating things.

Making excuses for Carrick already, wasn't that what posters were moaning about with Ole?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Liverpool and Chelsea have both scored more goals than City in the league this season. It just feels like you’re being unnecessarily negative about “the German pressing thing” now that Rangnick is about to take over.
Don't think I'm the only one to say Tuchel=boring, it was quite a popular sentiment here last season.

Honestly, I'm skeptical about implementing the all-action thing with this squad, especially since (IMO) it's not that great to watch. That's not what I was thinking of when I posted though. My agenda-posting was all snide insinuations for this thread rather than anything about Rangnick :lol:

Lentwood

Nothing wrong with being pleased about a backs-to-the-wall point at Stamford Bridge but I don't think we can draw many conclusions whatsoever from it about how we might play going forward.

The xG of over 2.5 for Chelsea and the chances they missed, plus the fact we didn't fashion a single chance ourselves really tells you this is not some kind of blueprint for how we can or should play moving forward.

One thing I have noted from Villarreal and Chelsea is that Fred should be playing higher. He's far more useful when he has the freedom to go and press aggressively.

nainaisson

The substitutions were dumb. We had no out-ball after Rashford came off. His decision making in the final third is pea-brained at best, but at least he allows us to stretch the opposition defence. It's no coincidence we had to defend 50 corners in a row when we lost the only person to whom we could clear the ball.

alexthelion

Everyone knows we’re in a very deep trough. I’d say we’re just beginning to climb out of it but there’s a long way to go. In that context nobody should be disappointed with today’s performance or result. We were mainly terrible but we’ve been far worse.
How can we be climbing out of it? We were pathetically defensive, no attacking intent at all. Lucky they made a mistake for us to score because we couldn't string 2 passes together.

DSG

Another point: immensely grateful to Carrick for stepping in to manage. Thank you.

However, lauding the players for having the courage to play away at Chelsea and getting a point… feck me. We are Manchester United! We have a squad worth well over £1 billion, the best paid players in the world!!!! We can’t have this kind of mentality as a club. He’s clearly way over his head as a manager, as a leader, and even as a coach.

Nogbadthebad

Given the last couple of results against title challengers, it was a huge improvement.

The team kept compact and that tightened everything up.

McTominay is not good enough for this level, a great option as a squad player, but he doesn't have the pace of thought or close skills to play that position for a team looking to win things.

Not his fault, its those who keep picking him.

Still plenty to do for the new manager, I'll be interested in his choices for midfield moving forward.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
They dominated but we were solid as a team and I’m still upset for not stealing all 3 points. Had a couple gimmie-chances. I thought their penalty was weak, but i can’t keep up with all these new rules. Looked like it was a 50-50 challenge. Silva didn’t have control or possession. I questioned the starting lineup but it was the right call for this particular match.

SonyaCross493

Chelsea had 16 shots compared to United's measly 4.

You can't blame Ronaldo for this performance as he didn't start. Let's see if the same people who made Ronaldo a scapegoat previously will admit that Sancho and Rashford didn't press much in this game either. I didn't see much of a difference but I'd like to see the stats.

Chelsea dominated the match and United got lucky with the result.. rinse and repeat of last season. They should've won it at the end too.

Rangnick isn't a guarantee to be successful with these players. Bottlers and lacks winners to see a game like this out.

Redlyn

34% possession
3 total shots (vs 24)
2 corners (vs 15)

It was brutally inefficient and simply pathetic.

1-1 though. Yay.
1-1 away at the title toppers was inefficient? I think the real issue is your expectations at this moment. It is detached from reality.

Withnail

Nothing to do with being a moaner, it's just Oleball but even more defensive.

Those who called Ole a coward should now be calling out Carrick, it's cowardly with bells on, far worse than anything before.
He's a caretaker manager and that's his last game. He obviously focussed on making us hard to beat as he had little time. He got us into the next round of the CL and a pt away at the league leaders. Rangnick will be in place shortly so why in the feck would anyone waste their time giving Carrick abuse for his performance as a caretaker for two games?

It's pointless moaning.

Ixion

We were worse, stop sugar-coating things.

Making excuses for Carrick already, wasn't that what posters were moaning about with Ole?
You're the only person I see insisting we were worse today than the past few months.

Djemba-Djemba

Nothing to do with being a moaner, it's just Oleball but even more defensive.

Those who called Ole a coward should now be calling out Carrick, it's cowardly with bells on, far worse than anything before.
:lol:

Yeah Ole who was here 3 years and had hundreds of millions to spend on building his own squad, and Carrick who has been interim manager for 1 week.

Yeah that's the same.

alexthelion

Don't want to be results oriented and say we played well because we got a result, that was absolutely dreadful. Chelsea's laughable finishing the only thing that saved us from a battering.

Can't keep the ball for more than 2 seconds, so many errors in easy possession, and plenty of defensive mix-ups too.

I honestly think this team lose the ball in easy possession about 50 times a game. The sort of situation where you think "how can a professional footballer lose the ball in that scenario?" If we can cut the unforced errors in possession by even 50% then it gives us the building blocks to actually play a decent game of football, get our attacking players in the game, launch the counter attacks in transition. Unfortunately we couldn't do any of that because we give the ball away within seconds of winning it back.

We honestly look Sunday league level on the ball.
Exactly this, but ready for the roasting because you're being too negative.

Redfrog

Ronaldo sub killed off the game, we were ticking before that.
Lingard sub 100% did kill it off, don't understand that sub.
Bruno should of been taken off 20 mins before he did, was awful.
Can't believe that I'm saying it but besides that kind of harsh penalty and those subs, the game was ours for the taking.
If maguire was playing we would of lost that one horribly. I hope we play Bailly + Varane going forward.
Yeah, the subs were bad. There was no need for Ronaldo at the time. He came on only because he is Ronaldo and Sancho was much better then Rashford as well so that didn’t make sense.
I don’t even want to speak about Lingard. The guy is gone and not good enough. Why waste time with him ?

rooney2009

Football is all about confidence and our confidence is at an all time low
Hopefully this result can help build confidence and we can get wins against Arsenal and Crystal palace
We were a good team at the end of last season and have had a terrible start to the season
All the players have not all become suddenly bad players

Statue of Limitations

Chelsea won't drop many points at home this season, they were the netter team overall but a very nice point to build on.

We should see 4th at a minimum now.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
We have a squad worth well over £1 billion, the best paid players in the world!!!! We can’t have this kind of mentality as a club. He’s clearly way over his head as a manager, as a leader, and even as a coach.
PSG says hi.. they pay Messi 750k/week, Neymar 750k and Mbappe 500k. Then they have a lot of players in the 200-300k region such as Icardi, Di Maria, Wijnaldum, Verratti, Marquinhos, Ramos, Donnarumma.

But yeah, we’re in top 3 highest salarys.

OverratedOpinion

Chelsea won't drop many points at home this season, they were the netter team overall but a very nice point to build on.

We should see 4th at a minimum now.
If they get a dodgy penalty each game maybe.

Pathetic attempt at chasing a game against a team with no confidence at home.

MUFC OK

What’s all this talk about the Rudiger chance? He’s a defender and it’s a volley ffs.

Redfrog

We are so much low in confidence. That showed as we grew into the game after half time and after we scored. That wasn’t great but better.
Carrick made the right thing by being compact and tru to nick a goal. That the only way to regain some form and confidence. We have enough quality up top to do it.
The subs were bad. We needed pace up front so Ronaldo killed our momentum and Sancho was our best attacking player as well.

alexthelion

Your rage is hilarious. Carrick is a novice caretaker manager, who will soon go back to a role that suits him a bit better.

Mowing the grass?

Gets praise (and excuses) just for not being Ole, he's certainly no manager at this time. Under RR we'll find out whether he's cut out for coaching too.

Longshanks

Solid and organised defensivly, lacked composure in midfield and the final third. Played a bit to deep at times unwilling to push the line forward to try and put more pressure on Chelsea. Means to an end I suppose got a useful point away at Chelsea you would always take that.

Hopefully RR takes charge soon and we move into a new era and start to see some braver performances.

SonyaCross493

34% possession
3 total shots (vs 24)
2 corners (vs 15)

It was brutally inefficient and simply pathetic.

1-1 though. Yay.
it was awful from United. Lucky result but Chelsea dominated the performance and deserved to win.

played like a Plucky League One team having there big day out at The Bridge.

Red Rash

If it wasn't for the rest of the season I would see it as a good point.

Unfortunately we are in the position now where a point isn't really enough and we need to get some wins on the bounce to get us back on track.

Overall the performance was pretty poor and if Chelsea were more clinical or we didn't have De Gea we probably would be looking at similar results as we had again Liverpool and City.

We barely created any chances and didn't control the game at all. I think Ragnick has a lot to do.

lex talionis

Chelsea got the dodgy penner but were the better side overall. The draw was right result, but fukking hell we had them…if only we could take them.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 301 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd