PL D FA Premier League

Chelsea 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 28 November 2021

GBBQ

Considering where we were after Watford, securing Top of CL group and avoiding a loss to the league leaders (after not turning up against City or Liverpool) was a good week. We were a team low on confidence with a makeshift defence but generally acquitted ourselves well.

A good run of winnable games coming up so it’s something to build on.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Don’t get the moaning, put into context that’s a good result. The performance was shite but we knew it would be and this is an extension of the Ole era. Hopefully this is the last of it and Rangnick comes in now and starts the fixing process.

alexthelion

You're the only person I see insisting we were worse today than the past few months.
Because I thought Carrick's tactics were cowardly and far too negative.

There's playing for a draw and then there's this, not even a plan to hit Chelsea on the break, just defend, defend, defend. United are better than this and the fans deserve better.

Laurencio

For once I actually thought Fred was good. We still need a new midfielder or two, but that wasn't half bad from him.

We certainly have played a lot worse than that lately.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Spare us the 'We are Manchester United ' shite. We're in the middle of a crisis, caretaker manager, on the back of several hammerings, away from home to the best team in Europe at the moment. Chelsea had conceded 1 goal from open play all season before today. What in the name of Jaysus were people hoping for today? We had a plan, worked hard, rode our luck. It's a great result and a flawed but gritty performance. I 100% would have taken that this morning.

captaincantona

For once I actually thought Fred was good. We still need a new midfielder or two, but that wasn't half bad from him.

We certainly have played a lot worse than that lately.
Yeah I thought Fred was good and his tenacity further up the pitch could be used well in a high pressing setup.

TheRedHearted

Thank god we didn’t lose or get battered. We also played as a team and a couple of players looked way more confident.

definitely a good result for where we are currently at. Thought for sure that was Ralf on the phone but either way let’s keep moving forward. For me the changes were stupid though, Ronaldo on at that point-no way. And to me Bruno should have eventually made way for Ronaldo if it were to happen. To me Ronaldo had no place coming in at all. It was working with two speedy forwards, if a switch came up top bring on Greenwood

Jacko21

Take the point and run.

Considering we're operating from a pretty low base, I thought there was some encouragement to be taken from that performance.

alexthelion

Do you think there's any comparison between their measured and well thought out post and your ranting?

Oh look he didn't get roasted, funny that.
Not ranting at all, just fed up with the over-the-top praise Carrick and the team are getting in here.

If Ole was still here, this place would be in uproar over how bad we were but, because he's gone, you get what's happening in here.

Devil may care

Fetal position football, a bogus penalty and a well executed counter press goal, overall it's a good point but there's so much work to do, we looked like a League one side setting up against a PL team today.

largelyworried

There's playing for a draw and then there's this, not even a plan to hit Chelsea on the break, just defend, defend, defend. United are better than this and the fans deserve better.
What the? Who seriously complains about a caretaker manager who will literally manage for two games?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Fetal position football, a bogus penalty and a well executed counter press goal, overall it's a good point but there's so much work to do, we looked like a League one side setting up against a PL team today.
Thing is he doesn't just have to coach the players he needs to coach the coaches as well.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
1-1 away at the title toppers was inefficient? I think the real issue is your expectations at this moment. It is detached from reality.
The only "real issue" here is that you're assuming I'm thinking 1-1 was inefficient.

1-1 is an amazing result. The performance was inefficient. We, as a club, are inefficient. Our interim manager is inefficient. Nothing written here is surprising or new or far-fetched.

OverratedOpinion

it was awful from United. Lucky result but Chelsea dominated the performance and deserved to win.

played like a Plucky League One team having there big day out at The Bridge.
"Lucky" meaning De Gea could have been sat down most of the game and the only reason we didn't win was a dodgy penalty? Okay.

Look we have been shit this season, we played that match perfectly considering the respective situations.

Withnail

Not ranting at all, just fed up with the over-the-top praise Carrick and the team are getting in here.

If Ole was still here, this place would be in uproar over how bad we were but, because he's gone, you get what's happening in here.
Pull the other one. You're on a feckin mission here. :lol:

Nobody really cares, except you, because Carrick isn't and will not be the manager long-term. Ralph is coming in and Carrick will do what he's told or he'll be moved away from the first team.

As he had feck all time and the team were leaking goals he concentrated on making us hard to beat. He got us into the next round of the CL and a point away at Chelsea.There really isn't anything to get worked up over and it could have been a lot worse.

Rex Banner

But we did get the draw though. It's not as if Carrick is gonna be in charge for the entire season. He's gonna be in charge for one more game, two at most. So why does matter how we set up, as long as we got something from the game? If we're still setting up like this under Rangnick then I can understand people being annoyed but it's one game ffs.

Can't complain with a point away at Chelsea, given the circumstances. Another goal for Sancho is a big positive. Let the fresh start begin tomorrow!

By the way, didn't we look much better in defence without Maguire! I thought Bailly had an excellent game.

Francis1958

:(:(:(
Yep. That took me by surprise.

He caused the freekick before the goal and was a major reason why we couldn't build many attacks. He kept playing backwards rather than forward, even though there were options in open spaces.

McTominay must have something on Carragher. It is the only explanation.
Carrick trained him, pass sideways and backwards

Redlyn

The only "real issue" here is that you're assuming I'm thinking 1-1 was inefficient.

1-1 is an amazing result. The performance was inefficient. We, as a club, are inefficient. Our interim manager is inefficient. Nothing written here is surprising or new or far-fetched.
Disagree. It's the best we could do right now given the circumstances. Bitching about the way we went about a 1-1 away at Chelsea who are in top form while we are in shocking form and without a manager is the real inefficiency.

mav_9me

I am not sure what some of you guys were expecting. We are low in confidence, not coached much. So went away, parked the bus, did ok defending, did poorly with the ball. Got lucky with a goal. Got a point.

I don't see what else there is to see. This was all about a result and in our situation I'll take the point.

Wait and see how Rangnick can have an impact. Results may not be great right away but if we look like we are playing with a plan and purpose....

MrBest

58% in here went for a chelsea win, we drew. I thought that was an excellent result, needless penalty when they were creating nothing, some big what if moments such as Freds awful chip and Rudigers end howler but we scored at stamford bridge against a team that have had a solid defence all season and thrashed Juve 4 0. Well done to Carrick, I'm glad the batton is now moving to a proper manager for the first time in 3 years.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Result is all that matters, players dug in and if that mis hit pass went to anyone but Fred we would have done them :lol:

Hopefully new manager comes in and puts his mark on the team ASAP. Conceding 1 goal in these last 2 games is a fantastic return.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't think I'm the only one to say Tuchel=boring, it was quite a popular sentiment here last season.

Honestly, I'm skeptical about implementing the all-action thing with this squad, especially since (IMO) it's not that great to watch. That's not what I was thinking of when I posted though. My agenda-posting was all snide insinuations for this thread rather than anything about Rangnick :lol:
Ha! Fair enough. I guess I just disagree with the notion that gegenpressen is necessarily boring to watch. Klopp’s teams have always provided great entertainment. I’m not as familiar with Tuchel (or Rangnick)

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Spare us the 'We are Manchester United ' shite. We're in the middle of a crisis, caretaker manager, on the back of several hammerings, away from home to the best team in Europe at the moment. Chelsea had conceded 1 goal from open play all season before today. What in the name of Jaysus were people hoping for today? We had a plan, worked hard, rode our luck. It's a great result and a flawed but gritty performance. I 100% would have taken that this morning.
A gritty performance. C'mon! It was a shite performance! It was a lucky result, and yes, I would've taken it any day, any time!

Imagine Ole managed this game and we drew 1-1. Would you have said it was a flawed, but gritty performance? If your answer is yes, then fair play. Most here would've said the performance was unacceptable. A few here are saying just that. We're not complaining about the result. No-one in red is complaining about the result.

Moriarty

Better than I expected. I thought we'd get a hiding, considering what Chelsea did to Juve and us on the back of an away European game. Chelsea were a bit edgy at times. Some good approach play but very little end product. I don't know how the Chelsea fans still back Werner. He's like a German Peter Davenport.

McTominay and Matic were solid. Telles played well as did Lindelof and Bailly and if only that chance had fallen to Ronaldo and not Fred, we'd be celebrating a win. Still, a point is better than nowt at their place.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Disagree. It's the best we could do right now given the circumstances. Bitching about the way we went about a 1-1 away at Chelsea who are in top form while we are in shocking form and without a manager is the real inefficiency.
All good then. We don't agree. But we got a point, and that's great. Onwards and upwards!

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 301 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 17% Chelsea 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% Chelsea 2:1 Man Utd