PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 December 2023

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Rashford dropped and we’re suddenly good at pressing and creating chances again.
Yes exactly.
In my opinion we would not have played with that same high level of desire if Rashford and or Martial were playing.
So I am delighted that they were not starting.
Shaw, Maguire, Amrabat and McTominay very good. The rest good.
The challenge now is to keep this up. No good for just 1 game.

Craig Ward

Was a welcome surprise.

I went into the game with a bit of dread but as soon as i saw no Martial and Rashford i had a feeling the workrate would be up there - and it really was.

The simplest things make a massive difference. We were pressing, we were battling, every player was working hard. When you have 1,2 or 3 players simply not busting a gut it harms the entire team.

Yes we gave chances away, yes we looked open on times. We aren't perfect but we battled well, played some slick football and created so many chances. We was undoubtedly good value for the win and it should have been by a much higher margin.

When Hojlund gets his goal, the floodgates are going to open. He's got so much about him.

McTominey could have scored 4 - from a deep pivot. Not a bad night for him at all. His footballing play and the way he controls the game is still bang average but he's come up trumps today with the headlines.

The hero's of the night for me were Shaw, Maguire and Amrabat. Shaw makes a massive difference for us, at LB or LCB. Maguire was assured and solid and Amrabat just knows how to play that deep lying role and brings a balance to us we dont usually have.

Garnacho had his moments also, as did Anthony to be fair.

Hard work wins the day though. We worked harder, wanted it more. That's why we won. The complete opposite to the Newcastle game.

Actually enjoyed watching us

Kaizane

Watched a replay of the game, which is a pretty good way to watch it if you want to be truly analytical and not get carried away by emotions (already knew the score) and letting them colour your recollections. So with that in mind, some points:

1. it was a good win, much needed for confidence, but despite popular sentiment, I wouldn’t call it a great performance. I’d call it a decent performance from the perspective of the effort put in by the players, the spirit shown, and the attacking intent and some of the patterns of play.

2. Chelsea were very poor yet we gave up a host of gilt edged chances to them. On another day, against a better team, we could’ve easily conceded three goals.

3. Luke Shaw is a very good player and fundamental to how we build up from the back. The switch bringing on Reguillon, helped us.

4. The midfield is still a mess. Breezed through far too many times. Amrabat looks below the quality required. A squad player at best.

5. McTominay gets a lot of plaudits for his two goals (should have scored two more), but his overall game wasn’t a great one. It was plucky and determined, but he has a lot of heavy touches, is unimaginative in possession, and he was caught out of position a lot today.

6. Maguire has come into some good form.

7. Dalot played well. He obviously needed a rest. Being able to rotate AWB and Dalot, who are about the same level, is a decent couple of options.

8. Garnacho is a very exciting player. He runs at people and takes risks. He looks dangerous. He’s also incredibly wasteful and makes some very poor decisions sometimes. These are things you’d expect at his age. He’s enjoying his football right now which is great to see; but he has a lot to refine in his game.

9. Fernandes works hard as always but needs a rest.

10. We don’t beat the first man from crosses anywhere near enough, it’s very poor.

11. Antony gives the team balance and work rate, retains possession well too. I’d like him to have a run in the team to build his confidence. This player is definitely not the write off he’s been made out to be.

12. Hojlund oozes quality but he badly needs a goal in the league. It’s just psychological at this point.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by this performance. It was a marked improvement but there were a lot of alarming problems on display.
Agree with this. We were lucky Chelsea are as rubbish as they are, otherwise we lose that. We are still so susceptible at the back, it's frightening. That midfield is not the answer, not by a long stretch.

Matt Varnish

Interesting in McTominays post match interview he said that they've been doing light training this week due to the amount of games.
Goes against the media rhetoric that Ten Hag just makes them run run run in training.
You actually believe what the MSM tell you?
If a journo walked into my shop soaking wet and told me it was raining outside, I'd go and check.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Watched a replay of the game, which is a pretty good way to watch it if you want to be truly analytical and not get carried away by emotions (already knew the score) and letting them colour your recollections. So with that in mind, some points:

1. it was a good win, much needed for confidence, but despite popular sentiment, I wouldn’t call it a great performance. I’d call it a decent performance from the perspective of the effort put in by the players, the spirit shown, and the attacking intent and some of the patterns of play.

2. Chelsea were very poor yet we gave up a host of gilt edged chances to them. On another day, against a better team, we could’ve easily conceded three goals.

3. Luke Shaw is a very good player and fundamental to how we build up from the back. The switch bringing on Reguillon, helped us.

4. The midfield is still a mess. Breezed through far too many times. Amrabat looks below the quality required. A squad player at best.

5. McTominay gets a lot of plaudits for his two goals (should have scored two more), but his overall game wasn’t a great one. It was plucky and determined, but he has a lot of heavy touches, is unimaginative in possession, and he was caught out of position a lot today.

6. Maguire has come into some good form.

7. Dalot played well. He obviously needed a rest. Being able to rotate AWB and Dalot, who are about the same level, is a decent couple of options.

8. Garnacho is a very exciting player. He runs at people and takes risks. He looks dangerous. He’s also incredibly wasteful and makes some very poor decisions sometimes. These are things you’d expect at his age. He’s enjoying his football right now which is great to see; but he has a lot to refine in his game.

9. Fernandes works hard as always but needs a rest.

10. We don’t beat the first man from crosses anywhere near enough, it’s very poor.

11. Antony gives the team balance and work rate, retains possession well too. I’d like him to have a run in the team to build his confidence. This player is definitely not the write off he’s been made out to be.

12. Hojlund oozes quality but he badly needs a goal in the league. It’s just psychological at this point.

I think a lot of people are getting carried away by this performance. It was a marked improvement but there were a lot of alarming problems on display.
Very good summary, the point about Hojlund worries me the most as when we bought him I was sure we were going to bring in another striker because we surely wouldn't be letting an unproven 20 year old lead the line and yet here we are.

I watched it with two Chelsea fans and it was like I was listening to a transcript of the caf against Newcastle. They have an injury plagued, expensively assembled squad which is completely unbalanced and with a manager who still doesn't know his best 11. They generate chances but never seem to put teams away and give the ball away in attacking positions which puts the defence under constant pressure (remind you of anyone?).

Hopefully we get a win against Bournemouth, tweak the midfield two and pray we can put in a performance at Anfield. Just don't get smashed Erik.

Zed 101

Was a very entertaining game, however it could have easily finished 8 - 4, yes we were the better team, but we were yet again far too open, same as Gala and look how that ended! But nice to see that Chelsea are even worse than we are

Good to see Amrabat start to okay more like he can, at some point hopefully ETH will switch from 2 AM to 2 DM, i.e. Amrabat and Mainoo with Bruno in front maybe then we will start to have some control in midfield

We are going have to start being more clinical with our finishing though we were very wasteful in another game it will cost us

Game was a nice tonic from the recent performances, but is very much papering over some fairly big cracks

UpWithRivers

This reminds me of Bielas Leeds team. Is that what ETH plan has been all along?

imamuppet

Hopefully someone who has Rashford ear reads this. Tell him to play back his performances when he first got in to the team. Ask him where is that boy gone, who understood the need to work hard every single minute of the match.

Where did that boy go when he became a man to become so lazy and lacking drive for his home team club?

Laziness should have no place in professional football. Tell him to find that boy, so he can fecking man up or get the feck out of the club.

Such a shame, one of our own, consumed by their own ego, forgetting the basics, forgetting the love, forgetting the fans, bring back the boy, please...

Reactions: golden_blunder

The-Mezzala

Nice to seee Amrabat play well second half after a shaky opening 30 minutes was pleased when he signed agter watching him at the WC. But has had a mixed start here. He Grew into the game. Garnaacho and Anotny played well nice to see wingers tracking back. Mctominey is such a strange player. Poor in possession but does have a great habit of arriving late in the box. Hojlund needs a goal I reckon it will come offers more than Martial off the ball. Still worry about that defence. A quick central defender to go with either Maguire or Martinez would make a huge difference especially playing such a high line. Chelsea first half did get in behind far too easily. But best performance of the season going forward fun game to watch for a change.

Camilo

To think we started the season with Rashford and Sancho on the wings. Two clowns.

moodyred

Our team is like Dr Jeykll and Mr Hyde. You never know who is turning up.

OverratedOpinion

Really, really good.

Loads of energy throughout the team and didn't panic when they scored just before half time.

Harsh on McTominay I know but put Mainoo next to Amrabat and bring Reguilon in for Lindelof and I think we can put a run together.

3 points behind City.

astracrazy

Dare say one of the best under EtH? Did we finally see how EtH really wants to play last night? We have had good results, but I can't remember seeing such a clockwork performance. Real pressing, link up play, connections all over the pitch....

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
A comfortable 2-1 win that could have been about 5-2. On the players the front 4 played well despite not scoring but if they keep this level of work up that will come. Scott is such a strange player, definitely not a solution in centre mid but where is his best position? he definitely has a huge threat in and around the box.

Good from Anthony and Maguire too, although we look a lot better with Shaw in the middle.

Amrabat is starting to look like a serious player now too, he needs a good injury free run now in the starting 11.

Rashford has to have a serious look at himself now though, difficult to see him getting in past Anthony on current attitude and workrate.

lex talionis

Much improved over the Newcastle “performance”. The key was dropping Rashford and Martial.

It’s fair to acknowledge that Chelsea were rubbish and that we only beat them 2-1, but unlike other narrow wins over slumbering clubs there is no question we were the better side.

Still a bit rough edged in all aspects of play, and our finishing was still well below what it should be, but the good news is that we created gobs of good chances. We need to improve our finishing, but that day will come soon. Garnacho and Hojlund are still young.

Smithy89

I know Chelsea are so horrific it's laughable, but credit to Erik he got it spot on last night and we finally saw some proper attacking football.

Garnacho, Amrabat and Mctominay were excellent
Maguire and Shaw solid again
Regulion came on and was positive
Antony put in a proper shift with Hojlund.

Still missing some real quality in attack and if we had that, we'd have bopped 6 past them with ease playing like that.

Laurencio

We had a team out there that worked harder than the opposition, showed fight and maintained high intensity through much of the match. That's a team I can get behind. We're still very open down the middle and mistakes seem to be extremely costly, but with that level of intensity we're more likely to do well than not.

Jeffthered

I watched the first half, and then the highlights. A thouroughly deserved and well needed performance so well done to all the lads. I just think we all needed that. Some good points to build on, but, but, we need to keep perspective. The main positives, was that there was a sense of identity across the team.. not so much game plan, but how they all played as a bit of a unit, all on the same page. That was the first time I have seen that this season, and what a difference that makes! Nothing to do with quality etc..just collective, collective effort. That should be standard and that for me is the main thing. Those who were dropped, should take a good look at that.

Few other observations:
  • Maguire should be commended, hugely, as he is absolutely key for us right now. He is saying to himself (which I love..) 'enough is enough..I'm the best centre-half at the club..' and is now defining our games. Look at his role in our first goal. Look where he was. That wasn't a set-piece. He needs to keep this approach to games. That isn't strategy, that's him feeling liberated. He is key, key for us now. He'll score a few too.
  • Garnacho is playing well, and those early season performances have helped him, because you can just see the benefit of him just playing, game in, game out. He is far from the finished article and needs to improve aspects of his game. But he is a key, key attacker for us. Well done him.
  • Rasmus played so well, and he will score a few and I cannot, we cannot, wait until he starts hitting a few in the Premiership. Because he works his socks off, is v strong, energised, and dangerous. And he can play, his touch is good and he desperately wants to be better and succeed. He makes the game easier for other attacking/creative players.
  • Bruno played the best I have seen all season (in the first 30 mins.. ). People questioning his captaincy has resulted in a clear response. He is more responsible, more involved and it all makes him a better player.
  • McTominay.. he cannot give us what we need as someone to manage and control games and that is a siginificant problem. But, his ability to arrive late and score goals is undeniable. The guy is changing matches, winning matches. Not many players can do that in the Premiership. But we need to work out how, and who we play alongside him (like Steve Clark has done at Scotland). He's an asset, and would get even more effective under astute coaching.
  • However, we are still open, I agree with Scholes, if we play that way against more clinical teams we will have problems. ETH has to sort something out, it's just unfair on whoever plays that deeper role.
  • Chelsea are like a youth team. All over the place. The money they have spent.. wow. Pochetino will sort them out though. And they need to get a good centre-forward.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
His problem is he’s gone back to players all here mostly before he spent 400m which is the same path this predecessors opted for.
From last night: Hojlund (new), Garnacho (youth team), Antony (new), Amrabat (new, loan), Onana (new).

That's 5 players out of the starting 11.

I'm sure he'd love an upgrade on Dalot. He tried selling McTom and getting an upgrade in the summer but it failed.
Pretty sure Martinez is an automatic starter as well if he's not injured.

Matt Varnish

From last night: Hojlund (new), Garnacho (youth team), Antony (new), Amrabat (new, loan), Onana (new).

I'm sure he'd love an upgrade on Dalot. He tried selling McTom and getting an upgrade in the summer but it failed.
Why would he want an upgrade on Dalot, he had a great game last night, at least he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like AWB does

RedorDead21

Up until last night those new players you mention were the ones causing us the problems…hit was one match against Chelsea…

ManUnitedCanuck

I'm actually surprised at how poor Chelsea were. When you think about how much they spent on that midfield and how easily we got through them, it's unbelievable!

Mike Smalling

I'm actually surprised at how poor Chelsea were. When you think about how much they spent on that midfield and how easily we got through them, it's unbelievable!
Yeah, they were atrocious. A midfield of Amrabat and McTominay dominated Enzo and Caicedo, which cost about £200m combined and where the types of players United fans have been dreaming of signing.

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
I was in the Stretty End singing/standing section last night (behind the tunnel). GREAT fun. Cracking atmosphere and great result. Performance wise (or is it mentalality wise?) we have a long way to go. As soon as we scored we sat back. At that point we could've been 4 up in theory - in reality we score then we switch to defensive mode. Anyone who's supported United for more than 5 minutes knows how poor we are at defending a 1-0 lead. Its not in our DNA. Probably all down to confidence, but its very frustrating to see it happen live

justsomebloke

Why would he want an upgrade on Dalot, he had a great game last night, at least he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like AWB does
Very good first half, second, not so much. All in all, he's had a pretty good run of games lately. Not sure I'm sold on him as a regular in no need of an upgrade though.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They really were very bad. Very poor in midfield and constantly making errors around the pitch. Poor and wasteful attackers and very few options on the bench. Probably the worst team that's come to OT this season so far.

How much of that was because of how we played, I'm not sure. But they really were terrible.

Maticmaker

A good result, not only the score, but the fact we had everyone playing with heart and commitment, if not always the requisite skills.
If ever there was a player constantly played in the wrong position for his skill set, but when he gets himself into a position that suits him he can be magic, and that's McT... to a tee!
We still had the odd wayward pass now and again, but instantly whoever made it tried to make up for it, and so did their colleagues! That sort of show of demonstrable togetherness is worth a hundred sound bites/media quotes, etc.

*An aside, when the Villa v City result was known, with City's recent form of three draws and a defeat, fully expected to hear a chorus of "Peps getting sacked in the morning", sadly it never came, but it would have been the 'cherry on top'.

Lee565

How come when it comes to our club we will quick to blame players for our poor season so far but yet we will bash potch for the mess Chelsea produced last night as well as all season so far and we all praise the great job emery has done at villa.

Surely we can praise ten hag for his line up and being better than potch tactically last night but have to also lay the blame at him when things go bad on the pitch this season

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 325 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 12% Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea