PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Chelsea

Post-match discussion

Wed, 06 December 2023

justsomebloke

• However, we are still open, I agree with Scholes, if we play that way against more clinical teams we will have problems. ETH has to sort something out, it's just unfair on whoever plays that deeper role
I hate to worry in advance, at this rare moment of things looking good. But you have to wonder how much of a margin there is for that approach in the midfield, with McTominay playing so offensively and Amrabat needing to be so effective in cleaning things up.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Just 3 months ago Chelsea's midfield was seen as the best midfield in PL and Pochettino a miracle worker.

What a load of bollox.

Velvet Revolver

Why would he want an upgrade on Dalot, he had a great game last night, at least he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like AWB does
We played a toothless chelsea attack yesterday. Dalot gets so much out of position it's like he doesn't know defending. Any other team with a functioning winger and we would have conceded a lot more.

FerociousCorgis

gotta make sure the players keep their heads. This chelsea team was just absolute shit. We play like we did first half against the real teams and we better hope we score 3-4 in the first half cause the other team sure as hell will. Amazing how shit they look under poch and how much money they have spent over there

UDontMessWith24

Finally seeing some free flowing attacking football, but missing chances isn’t the only reason we’re not scoring. Seen this all season long and on at least a handful of occasions yesterday. The inability to lift our heads up and make one more pass that would lead to a much easier chance. At this level those are just as bad as missed chances and it makes me want to pull my hair out because we’re wasting some very nice patterns of play. The likes of City Liverpool and Arsenal are brilliant at this and it’s a big reason they score so many goals

Jordan_mufc

We played a toothless chelsea attack yesterday. Dalot gets so much out of position it's like he doesn't know defending. Any other team with a functioning winger and we would have conceded a lot more.
I also feel like every game this season he's played a forward onside by being 3 yards deeper than the last defender.

Concentration is his biggest issue. He's often ball watching and letting forwards sneak in behind him. You can't have that at the top level as a full back

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why would he want an upgrade on Dalot, he had a great game last night, at least he doesn't run around like a headless chicken like AWB does
This is such an odd point because the main issue I have with Dalot IS that he runs around like a headless chicken. Or rather, his weird habit of, for no reason at all, wandering into the centre of the pitch and just standing there, and then continuing to do so when the opposition have started running up the wing he's meant to be on.

I only realised how often he does this recently when I got fed up with how often he seems to randomly disappear off the pitch, and started trying to work out where he goes. He walks into the middle and stands there, multiple times a half. He did it last night when Maguire appeared on the right, then Maguire ran back, and Dalot just stayed where he was obliviously. So I was thinking "oh he's covering for Maguire, fair enough" but turned out he wasn't. He was just doing the thing he does.

With the ball last night on the other hand I thought he was extremely good.

Woodzy

We played so well yesterday that I keep forgetting we missed a penalty.

Guapa

Great performance,great result,good attitude,good game to watch.Keep the same team please ETH.

Gator Nate

That was by far the most enjoyable game I've watched this season. If half the squad is at odds with Ten Hag, then he knows which half is which and put the good half out... and won. Take that!

Going into this, I thought it was two squads in the same situation facing each other. Ten Hag got a handle on it for at least a game. Poch did not.

As for those saying there are no patterns of play... I think we saw quite a bit of positive on that front. This is what he's aiming for, and with what many would say are some of the less talented/experienced players in the team.

Harry Maguire is solid when paired with a speedier player. (So is Varanne, but he's too fragile.) I think the reason we improved the second half was pulling Lindelof off, moving Shaw in, and putting Reguilon on the left. Ten Hag made that change at the half, not at 60', so kudos to him. When Lisandro is available again, a Shaw-Martinez-Maguire-Dalot/AWB back line should be our best.

Anyone notice how Maguire will advance the ball straight up the middle a few times a game with no one challenging him? And he'll actually make a good pass on the end of it, too, and then frequently charge in to the middle.

Garnacho-Hojlund-Antony was the most functional front line we've had all season. As others have said, I believe once Hojlund scores a goal the dame will break open.

Amrabat has some skill in his position. Hope we see more of that.

McTWOminay is now co-leading scorer for United in all competitions (5 goals). He has five league goals, Rasmus has five CL goals, and Bruno has three league and two CL goals.

Both Garnacho and Antony flew by Rashford to harry the keeper after they'd been on the pitch for the full 90'... Marcus, take note.

We saw a squad that hasn't abandoned Erik ten Hag.

You can't go far on enthusiasm alone, but you won't get anywhere without it.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
His problem is he’s gone back to players all here mostly before he spent 400m which is the same path this predecessors opted for.
Antony, Amrabat, Reguilon and Hojlund all contributed yesterday. Of his other signings - Casemiro, Eriksen, Mount, Martinez and Malacia (200m/400m) are injured. So how is his problem going back to the old players?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Anyone notice how Maguire will advance the ball straight up the middle a few times a game with no one challenging him? And he'll actually make a good pass on the end of it, too, and then frequently charge in to the middle.
That has always been an asset of his. Problem is pace, we just need a pacey stopper we can play alongside him or Licha. I suppose Shaw will do for now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The usual suspects blaming Lindelof for the Chelsea equaliser seems to have missed Maguire's usual half-arsed effort to block the shot - utterly pathetic. and the more I see it, the more I think a better keeper would have reached the shot...

Other than that, probably out best performance of the season although it helped that Chelsea are as equally shite as us...

Loving Garnacho, Hojilund may not score many but he works his arse off. better wingers would give him better chances and I'm with those who prefer idle players not to start - we know who they are

Matt Varnish

I also feel like every game this season he's played a forward onside by being 3 yards deeper than the last defender.

Concentration is his biggest issue. He's often ball watching and letting forwards sneak in behind him. You can't have that at the top level as a full back
You mean like AWB does?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That was by far the most enjoyable game I've watched this season. If half the squad is at odds with Ten Hag, then he knows which half is which and put the good half out... and won. Take that!

Going into this, I thought it was two squads in the same situation facing each other. Ten Hag got a handle on it for at least a game. Poch did not.

As for those saying there are no patterns of play... I think we saw quite a bit of positive on that front. This is what he's aiming for, and with what many would say are some of the less talented/experienced players in the team.

Harry Maguire is solid when paired with a speedier player. (So is Varanne, but he's too fragile.) I think the reason we improved the second half was pulling Lindelof off, moving Shaw in, and putting Reguilon on the left. Ten Hag made that change at the half, not at 60', so kudos to him. When Lisandro is available again, a Shaw-Martinez-Maguire-Dalot/AWB back line should be our best.

Garnacho-Hojlund-Antony was the most functional front line we've had all season. As others have said, I believe once Hojlund scores a goal the dame will break open.

McTWOminay is now co-leading scorer for United in all competitions (5 goals). He has five league goals, Rasmus has five CL goals, and Bruno has three league and two CL goals.

Both Garnacho and Antony flew by Rashford to harry the keeper after they'd been on the pitch for the full 90'... Marcus, take note.

I thought that Reguilon made a very positive impact, especially going forward and linked up well with Garnacho.
And bringing Luke Shaw to partner Maguire steadied the defence. Shaw is a very good team player.

MadMike

The problem is Martinez is objectively not fast. He's agile and combative, but not fast. However that might indeed be our best defence for the 2nd half of the season, since Varane seems to have lost his legs, Shaw is our best LB by far and Reguilon is only here on loan until Malacia overcomes his injury. If Malacia comes back in Jan, I expect Reguilon to return to Spurs to save the salary costs. We insisted on a break out clause in his loan for a reason.

If Martinez was indeed fast he would be perfect to step into midfield (like Stones does for City) to play next to the DM. His passing is precise and crisp. But he doesn't have the pace to chase players down if he gets caught out in the transition.

tomaldinho1

His problem is he’s gone back to players all here mostly before he spent 400m which is the same path this predecessors opted for.
Players ETh has bought:
Onana - played
Malacia - injured
Licha - injured
Amrabat - played
Case - injured
Antony - played
Mount - injured
Eriksen - injured
Hojlund - played

So unless you're livid Bayandir didn't play...not sure you've a leg to stand on

DSG

Well done by the team, our best performance of the season so far.

One xG source had us 4.46 to Chelsea’s 1.52. We definitely still look poor defensively when dealing with counter attacks.

‘The high press actually worked! Partly because we executed better and partly because Chelsea was very poor in possession, but, hell, we’ll take it!

Antony’s best game IMHO.

Onana had some fine saves.

I never thought I’d say this, but where would we be without Scott McTominay???

USREDEVIL

Great game. Chelsea were shit and their keeper was early Onana levels of crazy.
Rashford being dropped = sensible and smart. Needs to come back to form.
We created tons of chances, so that was one part of the game that was frustrating. We should have won by at least 3-1.
Bruno miss. It happens, but it wasn't a great shot.
Onana miss, bit poor but not a howler.
Told you lot McTom would score the winner.

greater wall

This is such an odd point because the main issue I have with Dalot IS that he runs around like a headless chicken. Or rather, his weird habit of, for no reason at all, wandering into the centre of the pitch and just standing there, and then continuing to do so when the opposition have started running up the wing he's meant to be on.

I only realised how often he does this recently when I got fed up with how often he seems to randomly disappear off the pitch, and started trying to work out where he goes. He walks into the middle and stands there, multiple times a half. He did it last night when Maguire appeared on the right, then Maguire ran back, and Dalot just stayed where he was obliviously. So I was thinking "oh he's covering for Maguire, fair enough" but turned out he wasn't. He was just doing the thing he does.

With the ball last night on the other hand I thought he was extremely good.
It's a tactical pattern. Both fullbacks and wingers alternate going to the middle and back to the wings in sync.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's a tactical pattern. Both fullbacks and wingers alternate going to the middle and back to the wings in sync.
No because you see players like Shaw and Regulion (as well as full backs for various other teams) do that tactically and in the correct situation. Dalot will just suddenly be standing there when actually he should very much be covering the flank and had no reason to come inside in the first place.

Hughie77

I did not watch live yesterday for my sanity.
I've watched it today, and it was a good win not comfy by long way, more goals should have been scored, it could have been a 6-3 or so..
Utd deserved the points but there were again defensive and CM issues, But it was way way better than Newcastle.

We cannot give that much space and chances to Liverpool they will take there chances..

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good performance, with all ten outfield players putting in a real shift. Finishing was wasteful, as usual, but the crowd appreciated the effort put in by the players, which should always be an absolute minimum.

I really don't want to see Rashford or Martial on the team ever again. It was night and day performance last night without them, compared to Newcastle with them strolling around last Saturday.
I have no problem with either Rashford or Martial being in the squad, but they certainly have to match the work rate that Garnacho, Højlund and even Antony showed last night. If they really want to be part of this great club, then they have to pull their socks up and TRY.

redmanx

Just 3 months ago Chelsea's midfield was seen as the best midfield in PL and Pochettino a miracle worker.

What a load of bollox.
Ive always said Poch was hugely over rated as a manager/coach; his tally of titles and trophies is laughable for someone so highly rated by so many.

redmanx

At last a win and performance we can be proud of! After the pathetic performance against Newcastle I was expecting another defeat, or lucky draw at most, but each of players responded brilliantly and, though theyve both taken plenty of stick, much of it deserved, Maguire and McTomminay have fought their way back as first choice players. So, theres the challenge for Rashford who has been rubbish all season; if these two can reverse their fortunes then he can too, but hes going to have to work bloody hard because on the evidence of this match we dont need him!

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think still Erik needs to adjust the setup to accommodate McTominay, maybe Bruno needs to be drop for Mainoo to offer more in ball retention and defending. McTominay can be our second striker getting into the box. As long as Garnacho and Antony provides quality crossing, both Hoijund and McTominay will have their opportunity to terrorised the defence. I really liked Shaw as CB and Reguilon as LB rather than Lindeloft and Shaw. I hope he make these changes this weekend before Liverpool. Knowing Erik, Bruno will continue to play. Lastly, Erik needs to be more generous with his praises, he comes across to strict. I believe a manager whose gives out more praises, motivate players.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well done by the team, our best performance of the season so far.

One xG source had us 4.46 to Chelsea’s 1.52. We definitely still look poor defensively when dealing with counter attacks.

‘The high press actually worked! Partly because we executed better and partly because Chelsea was very poor in possession, but, hell, we’ll take it!

Antony’s best game IMHO.

Onana had some fine saves.

I never thought I’d say this, but where would we be without Scott McTominay???
Part of the reason Chelsea were poor in possesion was because of the press being good

bosskeano

play the kids and the kids that want that want to work for the fans and the shirt....feck the name on the back and how much they make

it's all about the crest and the name on the front. Effort should be a non negotiable and if you can't put in a proper shift, feck off and go sit in the stands

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 325 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Chelsea
  • 12% Man Utd 1:1 Chelsea