PL L FA Premier League

Chelsea 4:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 04 April 2024

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I really didn’t like the aimless twattish ole passing when there was still 8 minutes left, where we just stood still aimlessly kicking the ball about for a few minutes with all our players out of position, then presented it back to them. Seemed an unusual tactic.

But have to say it worked really well because it allowed us to close out the game by holding out for a 4-3 defeat.

It is good to see our players have learnt their lesson from the last time we conceded a stupid late goal, which was in the last game we played, and definitely didn't decide to behave arrogantly or stupidly in dicking about and then conceding a goal where the opposition winger literally just ran in a straight line up the touchline and somehow ended up through on goal (like what would happen in a junior school game)

We have very smart players and coaches, and are definitely not an indiciplined or unprofessional team in any way.

Dazzmondo

One positive. Really don't think people appreciate how good Garnacho is for his age.

Redstain

I'm absolutely infuriated with the result this is the worst iv'e seen United of any period post SAF. It's an embarrassment and a disgrace.

AndySmith1990

Manchester United became the first team to be leading in the 100th minute of a Premier League match and lose
One to remember for those who partake in the occasional pub quiz

RuudTom83

Another game where United are starting without the first choice back four...then you need to change the back four at half time...only to then replace the CB which came on at half time.

Couldn't make this shit up!

Heinzesight

The most humiliating ending to a United game in a very long time, aided by horrendous officiating and the weakest minded United side I’ve seen, who will be lubing themselves up for Sunday to get a proper rodding.

Orange Tree

We were shit, but Chelsea were just as equally shit. They scored from penalties and deflected shots.

The referee made sure the game went their way.

The Irish Connection

Ten Hag has a bit of history with this sort of thing. Remember what happened his Ajax team late on against Spurs.

Ady87

From 80 minutes we were obviously electing to not carry the ball forward and that’s when the risk crept in. I was waiting for 3-3. 2 penalties and a massive deflection sting though.

stu_1992

I'm sure it was a great game for the neutral, but unfortunately for me right now, I'm not. :lol: Fecking sickened to lose it like that after we had battled back so we'll from an awful start. Gifted the result to them with two penalties really, and then kamikaze football after their equaliser.

Main positives were Garnacho continuing going from strength to strength. Antony looked much improved going forward too. Shame he have away a needless penalty though.

United Hobbit

The whole lot of them bar probably Garnacho and Mainoo, can get in the fecking bin. ETH too

I am sick and tired of us shooting ourselves in the foot and throwing away leads.

The injuries are crippling us, I sure as hell hope an investigation is going on into the cause of it

Id rather finish outside of any European places, we ain't getting CL and I don't want Europa

At least Sir Jim was there watching tonight, he's got a feck tonne of a job to do to sort out this absolute shit show

It was a game tonight between 2 teams who are perfect case studies into money wasted and are direction less

Ekeke

Overall I think what cost the points was our inability to break Chelsea's pressure segments of the game. They had multiple times in the match where they had a lot of the ball playing around their attack and on the edge of the box. And we'd get a foot in or just about see it off only for them to get back on the attack again. Yes absolutely the tired and clumsy foul from Dalot and then the poor concentration for a quick corner and McTominay's touch cost us. But those were the results of the Chelsea pressure. Thats what pressure does, it causes cracks and Chelsea were able to exploit them at the end and snatch the 3 points from a losing position

And this is the thing with this team and the one we've had for many years. We can get results and into good positions in matches from attacking with counter attacks but we have an inability to dominate the ball and manage the game to relieve the pressure on our defenders. They are constantly being worked and the more work they do, the more tired they get and more likely they will make a mistake. We needed to have senior players get on the ball and play conservative and smart football that restricted Chelsea's chances to attack and nick the ball. And for what its worth Mount did a great job with this and McTom did a few examples of this. But as a team we're awful at it. If 1 or 2 players do it on the left side, it doesnt mean its happening in the rest of the team. And it didnt happen enough. So Chelsea would attack in waves and even if we repelled the attack they would come again. This is also what Brentford were doing constantly against us.

ETH has spoken multiple times during his time here using the words "controlling the game". The truth is we never do. Our fullbacks are always constantly overworked, sometimes the CBs, our midfield is usually outnumbered and outfought and we're always in a frantic state of being under pressure and letting in goals, but then suddenly we'll get 1 counter attack right and score a really good goal. But we arent good enough defensively to have that pressure on us. Our attacking players other than Antony some games dont run with any intensity back towards their own goal. They save all their hard work for attack. The fullbacks are usually left to get on with it against a winger and any overlapping players. Its so naive and easy to play against when we cant keep the ball and relieve pressure on our defenders.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
  • We play too cautiously. When we play quick, front foot football, we’re a better team and take advantage of our strengths
  • We defend way too deep… especially late on, concede late goals
  • Rashford has to be sold. For the money and the statement it makes
  • It’s not tinfoil hat, we do get some awful decisions - odd that the eight mins added on looks dodgier than the pens. I can see why a poor ref gives the pens
  • Dalot has been ok recently but he has to send that guy inside to where our other players are. Watching live and I’m thinking don’t let him go around you please!
  • If Ten Hag goes and Ratcliffe/Barreda/whoever decide to keep all/most of these players, they’re not the people I thought they were. Forget “let a new manager decide”, lots of these players have to to
  • If Ten Hag goes, do it quickly in May, get a replacement asap. Don’t arse about so we’re still working stuff out in pre season
  • No fifth sub? … again.

Please hurry up and end this season.

bstb3

• We play too cautiously. When we play quick, front foot football, we’re a better team and take advantage of our strengths
  • We defend way too deep… especially late on, concede late goals
  • Rashford has to be sold. For the money and the statement it makes
  • It’s not tinfoil hat, we do get some awful decisions - odd that the eight mins added on looks dodgier than the pens. I can see why a poor ref gives the pens
  • Dalot has been ok recently but he has to send that guy inside to where our other players are. Watching live and I’m thinking don’t let him go around you please!
  • If Ten Hag goes and Ratcliffe/Barreda/whoever decide to keep all/most of these players, they’re not the people I thought they were. Forget “let a new manager decide”, lots of these players have to to
  • If Ten Hag goes, do it quickly in May, get a replacement asap. Don’t arse about so we’re still working stuff out in pre season
  • No fifth sub? … again.

Please hurry up and end this season.
There were 5 - Evans, Mount, Kambwala, Rashford and McTominay.
Can't argue with the rest though.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
So that's two games in a row now where we've just embarrassed ourselves so bad you can't do much other than just laugh at it all.

Bring on 27/28, maybe we will have sorted some things out by then.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Absolutely heartbreaking. Didn’t deserve to lose that, probably would have taken a draw but the team has bottled it completely. Penalty at the end was very unlucky as Dalot fell over and into the Chelsea player but we should have managed the game better even though 8 min was bizarre.

Another two defensive injuries and even more pressure mounting on the team. The league season is looking dead and buried for us now and maybe ETH’s tenure too.
Why was 8 mins bizzare? AWB was down for a good 4 or 5 mins

Withnail

I didn't see the game and we probably didn't deserve to win but feck me neither of those incidents were penalties. There's been some ridiculous decisions given over the paet few weeks in various games. VAR and the refs are a feckin joke.

RedDevilQuebecois

There are certain people that they don't have a clue how to play, or just don't have it in them to play in these type of situations....That was embarrassing." - John Tortorella.

The words from that massive character of a hockey coach uttered 2 days ago applies to how I feel about the players and the manager right now. Purge the entire lot already. I just want violence to erupt at Carrington starting tomorrow.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I didn't see the game and we probably didn't deserve to win but feck me neither of those incidents were penalties. There's been some ridiculous decisions given over the paet few weeks in various games. VAR and the refs are a feckin joke.
It was a game that was so open and went back and for like a basketball match for a while. Commentators were actually laughing at how open it was. I predicted 4-4 before the match as us and Chelsea are as bad as each other. The game kind of played out that way

Yanited__

I don't know anymore. Just feels like nothing is going our way this season

AndersB

The most disappointed I've been with the outcome of a match in a long, long time. It hurt proper. Two extremely soft penalties and a deflected shor.

After the red card we struggled to do much with the ball at all. Tried to keep possession and kill the game, which we're dreadful at

THEJAMFAN

Lowlight for me is leaving their most dangerois player unmarked at the corner

criminal

Withnail

It was a game that was so open and went back and for like a basketball match for a while. Commentators were actually laughing at how open it was. I predicted 4-4 before the match as us and Chelsea are as bad as each other. The game kind of played out that way
Well we're too (two?) awful teams that can't defend so that's not surprising.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The most disappointed I've been with the outcome of a match in a long, long time. It hurt proper. Two extremely soft penalties and a deflected shor.

After the red card we struggled to do much with the ball at all. Tried to keep possession and kill the game, which we're dreadful at
What red card?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'm absolutely infuriated with the result this is the worst iv'e seen United of any period post SAF. It's an embarrassment and a disgrace.
This is 100% the worst now. I cannot believe that any true fan wants this to continue into next season. He has to be fired.

lex talionis

Perhaps others feel the same way, but I'm really disappointed with the result tonight.

.Phil1968

At what point was Amrabat going to come on tonight ? I know he didn't cover himself in glory in the derby but if you're going to defend a lead like we did , I think we should have been looking for more goals personally, surely a defensive midfielder would be advantageous.

Waynne

Cared not to watch cause we're so consitently shit and throw away leads and I'm happy I didn't tune in.

The season is long over for me. I'm just patiently waiting for INEOS to do their thing on bin day and get rid of the trash around the club including the bald fecker.

Until we get in the new backroom staff, manager and players is when I'll start giving a feck to actually watch a game or two.

Man of the Match

Alejandro Garnacho image Alejandro Garnacho 87% of 164 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 171 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw