LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 3:0 Colchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 December 2019

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Interesting to see that this team is unable to create chances even against a league 2 side for 45 min, and the only way to score is in counter attack
Yes this is true, but that's because we are a counter attacking team. Much like smaller club/teams will play and beat bigger club/teams. LCFC, when they won the title, scored most of their points by counter attacking.
If we can develop a tactic which gives our opponent possession, invite them to attack our goal and then hit them on the break, we can beat all teams.
I know that this is a risky tactic, as it requires our defence to be very good, but as we saw yesterday, it works. And best of all, it almost bypasses our (poor quality) midfield.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Interesting to see that this team is unable to create chances even against a league 2 side for 45 min, and the only way to score is in counter attack

Reasons: Immense lack of quality in possession, the ball distribution and transmission is really pathetic and academical
I mean, we quite clearly did. Rashford had 2 golden chances to score but his touch was let down twice. Pereira put 2 beautiful passes in for him.

Just because he messed them up you can't say we didn't create - we did.

troylocker

Reasons: Immense lack of quality in possession, the ball distribution and transmission is really pathetic and academical
We did create chances though. With better finishing we should be at least 1 or 2 goals up by half time. We had 25 shots (6 of them on goal) and we created more against Colchester than both Crystal Palace and Spurs did. Both of them fielded strong 11s and none of them managed to score. If a team decides to play destructive, defensive football, they will make it hard for you to score even if you have plenty more quality in you team. I think we did very good last night, scored three goals from open play (2 against established defensive block) and punished them hard when they left space open for us. Gave minutes to Tuanzebe, Garner, Greenwood and Williams while keeping Romero, Young, Matic, Mata, Lingaard and Pereira warm and avoided injuries. There was nothing pathetic about yesterdays performance.

Nothing but positives from this match for me.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Complete domination and frustrated playing a packed defence in the first half.
As soon as we got a bit of space in the second half we scored - momentum died after Lingard replaced Rashford.

Matic and Maguire had decent games and the three front players trying to trick their way through a wall of defenders, Rashford wasteful in the first half.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Overriding emotion after this one is ... relief. Played OK against poor opposition. Matic was magnificent. What a passer of the ball he is, such composure and vision. Sorry to all the people who complain about him not playing the ball forward, sideways, backward passes. These are all part of the repetoire of football, as anyone who has played defensive midfield will gladly tell you. The other thing was I watched back over highlights on MUTV and poor old Paddy Crerand called his co-commentator at least four wrong names before hitting on 'Dave'. Obviously missing Stuart, or whats-his-name? On another note, gosh, will Pep ever be up for the derby quarter final match!

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Only saw the second half and that was quite decent , although too much sideways passing. One thing that stood out like dogs b**ls was the ongoing inability of the most experienced full back to cross the friggin ball properly.

Does he practice the basic requirement of a so called wing back, how frustrating to watch the same problem week after week.
"Sideways passing!!" Never played the game, eh? There is this rule in football called offside. It's kind of a long story, but sometimes sideways, angled and even backwards passes are an important skill when playing football. Check out this team called Barcelona, they are fairly good. Also crosses, after wing-play travel at right angles to the goal; i.e. they are 'sideways'. One of the great skills for centre forwards, is to be the target man. This often means playing the ball in the most effective direction for other players to run on to, which is not necessarily forward. Pinging the ball in variable directions, depending on the situation, is a necessary skill in most field positions, including for defensive midfielders like Matic. Of course the through ball or the ball over the top goes forward, especially in breaks out of defence, but usually at an angle to beat the offiside trap and let your forwards have a chance. Other sports might be different, but talking about his sideways passes is not a convincing put-down of a pro footballer.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Also i noticed during that build up play nobody tried to run at them through the middle. I understand it was the most congested area, hence less chance of success but there were a couple of chances there to thread a ball straight into the penalty spot or even run into it, drawing in defenders. I don't think we tend to go down the middle very often, we need someone with quick feet to give it a try every now and then.
We only have one or two players with the ability to do this, so they hesitate when confronted with the opportunity.

The area was very packed, so the control has to be tight when dribbling. Understandable that they preferred to pass it around instead, although I wouldn't have minded a run or two through the middle.

Zlatattack

We only have one or two players with the ability to do this, so they hesitate when confronted with the opportunity.

The area was very packed, so the control has to be tight when dribbling. Understandable that they preferred to pass it around instead, although I wouldn't have minded a run or two through the middle.
In that specific example, i think most players would have done the same, i just think we need someone generally to be making those driving runs, it'll complement the rest of our attack well.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lovely. So there's a minor injury that goalkeepers miss matches for that is no big deal, now? What kind of injury is that exactly, since you seem to be in the business of praying for specific injuries on players?

And while you are at it - what kind of injury is it when you wish for injuring our own players, get called out on it and still continue with the same shitty line instead of recognizing a misfired joke?
Calm down. You seem to be taking this a bit over the top. I’m not sat here with a voodoo doll wishing to break his leg.

If you’d prefer, I wish DDG be given a bit of Xmas leave to spend with his family and friends.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Calm down. You seem to be taking this a bit over the top. I’m not sat here with a voodoo doll wishing to break his leg.

If you’d prefer, I wish DDG be given a bit of Xmas leave to spend with his family and friends.
As in sick leave?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As in sick leave?
“Rested” aka dropped. Funny thing is people in general call for senior players to be dropped all the time and I imagine going through that, questioning yourself, with any potential insecurities you might have is far more uncomfortable than losing your place due to someone stepping up whilst your injured or rested. Anyway I digress...

Sooner rather than later we’re likely to have a decision to make on De Gea with Henderson and Romero in the wings. If you are going to command the salary he is on, then you have to be one of the best keepers in the world and De Gea has been a tier or two below for a long time. Worst mistake we could make is what Chelsea and Arsenal did and play Cech for his reputation rather than his performances for the best part of a decade.

Hughie77

Attack against defence, what is an issue it took us until 2nd half to score. Not great at all, but a win, next up is the games in this cup, need to knock them out. They be up for this and we need to be up for it more.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Ha! That sounds much nicer :)

Fitchett

Understand the frustration but he isn’t a fb tbf. Therein lies a greater problem; that we have never addressed the fullback problem and it still remains a problem years later.
But Young used to be a winger, so surely it's not unreasonable to expect him to be able to cross a ball!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
“Rested” aka dropped. Funny thing is people in general call for senior players to be dropped all the time and I imagine going through that, questioning yourself, with any potential insecurities you might have is far more uncomfortable than losing your place due to someone stepping up whilst your injured or rested. Anyway I digress...

Sooner rather than later we’re likely to have a decision to make on De Gea with Henderson and Romero in the wings. If you are going to command the salary he is on, then you have to be one of the best keepers in the world and De Gea has been a tier or two below for a long time. Worst mistake we could make is what Chelsea and Arsenal did and play Cech for his reputation rather than his performances for the best part of a decade.
De Gea finding a way to concede yet again against shite opposition, before just throwing himself out of the way of the pen. Deeney thunderbastards them down the middle more often than not when the pressure is on.

Time to give Romeo a run.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 146 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Colchester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 40% Man Utd 3:0 Colchester