LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 3:0 Colchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 December 2019

el3mel

Fun second half, and good goals.

Hopefully we'll avoid City in the draw. Will prefer facing them in the final.

Alemar

Not the best of games, to be fair.

Although in the last 25 minutes, Matic as a CB did look like a decent player.

Overall, Mata must be the worst player today, followed by Young.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy to be in semis.
Some nice goals.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not terrible (in terms of the attacking build up). Ole seems to be trying to come up with ways to weave through tight defenses, but Mata and Matic in the same midfield will obviously significantly limit our mobility.

No standout performances.

wolvored

We won 3-0. Thats all you can say positively. No movement, no skill, no real pace. Mata Lingard Periera Matic Young should all be moved on this summer. Offer very little. Pereira was the best out of a bad bunch tonight.

always_hoping

Professional 2nd half performance. Game won by the 10th minute of the 2nd half. Very strong last 4 for the league cup.

Colchester were fairly rubbish, watching them tonight it's hard to believe that Spurs under pochettino lost and his team failed to score against them.

Last edited:

RedIan

Job done. Decent 2nd half moved the ball quicker. i thought matic had a good game both in midfield and at centre half. Garner looked tidy when he came on.. bring on the semi,s

redom

Goals change games. Once that first one went in and Colchester had to somewhat commit to winning the ball back and be a bit more aggressive closing us down it creates those pockets of space that we can exploit.

Great to see some more game time for the likes of Greenwood, Garner and Williams, easy to forget just how young they are and how invaluable this experience is for them.

TrustInOle

Something really infectious about this lot of kids coming through. Greenwood, Garner, Williams, ect. Look forward to seeing how they all develop because I believe this could be potentially a very gifted group joining the first team. Feel Williams is a real gem though, hardly puts a foot wrong, aggressive going forward and bleeds courage and determination on the pitch. Plays 5 years ahead of his age. Greenwood, technically being the best of the bunch, will only get better as he matures and will be a frightening striker in the future, very over used saying, but the comparison to RVP is legit.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
We won 3-0. Thats all you can say positively. No movement, no skill, no real pace. Mata Lingard Periera Matic Young should all be moved on this summer. Offer very little. Pereira was the best out of a bad bunch tonight.
Pereira was pretty anonymous so you must have watched a different game. They played with a back 6 and a bank of 4 in front and we were still getting through them every now and then, the breakthrough came when they attempted to break ranks the first time and we hit them on the counter in the space they vacated. Then when they had to come out and play football, we hit them again twice more.

We understandably took players off for rest and then a bit of intensity came out of our game but it was still very much a one sided affair where we didn’t need to bust a gut to score any more.

You’re being negative for negative sake, but I suppose that’s in vogue on here these days.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Much better second half. Martial even made a couple of runs and was rewarded for it. If he can continue to make those kinds of runs and add tap ins to his goal scoring then he could become a very good player. Other than that though, he was the worst one on the field. Of course the bias in The Caf has Lingard rated as the worst player...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No, I think that's all you can say because you're a miserable twat.

Dominated the game throughout, as we were expected to, with Rashford and Martial both scoring, and us keeping a clean sheet. How's about those for some positives?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As an actual game of football it was always going to be a televised training routine, but in terms of pleasing everybody it was damn near perfect.

The grown ups are happy as we won the game and United are in the semi final, and the angry emo posters got the first half to vomit their rage about our disgraceful squad and manager

Win win

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Result never in doubt. Players you expect to be poor (Mata, Pereira) were poor.

A lot of nonsense from the usual on here.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Struggled in the first half but that can happen. Once we got the first we made it look very easy and did our jobs. Good to see Martial get one and have a nice smile afterwards. Onwards to a tough semi final.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Solid win.

Match thread in the first half was ridiculous.
Modern fans are outraged if we're not winning 3-0 after 15 minutes.

I saw one post before kick off say anything less than 4-0 would be unacceptable.

With 'fans' like these, we really aren't going to please them with a mere 3-0 comfortable win with 75% possession, no injuries, more minutes for young players and several first team players rested.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
No, I think that's all you can say because you're a miserable twat.

Dominated the game throughout, as we were expected to, with Rashford and Martial both scoring, and us keeping a clean sheet. How's about those for some positives?
Here here. Well said

Okey

Beautiful. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Every bit of it. Another clean sheet for Romero. I forget the stats but I remember it's an unreal percentage. And that was before the AZ game and tonight. Shame we didn't get the Villa draw I wanted, but it should be a cracking derby semi final.

DarkRed

Mata was chosen one of the best 3 players and people voted for him... :confused:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Very happy for Rashford and Martial to get goals. Seems like we’re primarily a confidence team so this should help us going into the weekend hopefully.

siw2007

First half was very poor, 2nd half was much better, especially after we got the first goal.

Not much to say but dreading a back to back Manchester derby in the semi final.

Red00012

We win 3-0 yet you manage to pick out the 2 worst players.

Red00012

Beautiful. Thoroughly enjoyed that. Every bit of it. Another clean sheet for Romero. I forget the stats but I remember it's an unreal percentage. And that was before the AZ game and tonight. Shame we didn't get the Villa draw I wanted, but it should be a cracking derby semi final.
51 games 32 clean sheets

MrBest

First half wasteful, second half decent. We beat Colchester, no disrespect. Glad to see Garner come on and Williams. Very dissapointed that lingard came on, I felt being 3 0 up Chong could have had some minutes. It is pretty clear see say that Gomes is a goner and will be signing with a new club in Jan. I think Chong will stay but will be loaned out (hopefully). Not much else to say, nothing really learnt.

RedDevilRoshi

Win is a win but lack of creativity in the midfield is a major concern. Everything is just so slow and boring.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Second half was much better once players were presumably encouraged by Ole to roam from their position. Going to need to do a lot more of that over the next three games.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 146 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Colchester win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 40% Man Utd 3:0 Colchester
  • 23% Man Utd 2:0 Colchester