FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Coventry City 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2024

Scanny

Another final for ETH
Well done to ETH and the Team
ETH has run his time and it’s now time for him to be replaced.
We controlled the game for 70mins and then stupid subs and the lads started messing around.
We just have a 20min of chaos every game not withstanding who we are up against.
We do not deal with pressure.
Completely agree.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
How terrible are this team, the manager and the coaches that securing a place in an FA cup final can feel so hollow? Absolute wasters the whole lot of them. 3-0 against Coventry City in the 60th minute and still needing a penalty shootout to go through.

Special mention to Casemiro for proving, with that penalty, that he is here for vibes and some bit of money for his retirement.

siw2007

That game was probably the biggest bottle job in the history of FA Cup Semi Finals, yet here we are in the FA Cup final again. The game was going swimmingly well yet in typical fashion, United tried there hardest to throw it away, but this was impressive, even by our standards. Under no circumstances should we ever throw away a 3 goal lead.

On a more positive note, well done to Onana for a great penalty shoot out. That couldn’t have been an easy situation for him but he delivered today.

We get a 2nd shot at City in the final. I’d have hoped that we would have closed the gap on them but it really will be a long shot come the match.

BuzzKillington

Love that when the final penalty went in, nobody ran for Hojlund bar Bruno. Everybody else just kind of went “meh” and milled around the centre circle. I don’t think I’ve been as unenthused to win a semi.

Orange Tree

ETH stays here until the end of the season. There is no point in hoping for United to lose.

At least I now still have one game this season to look forward to.

Superunknown

You can't justify that performance. 3-0 after 60 minutes. The game should be closed out at that point and it should be a straightforward end to this semi-final. To concede 1 goal from that point is bad. To concede 2 is awful. To concede 3 is a fecking disaster. We almost lost it in extra time, if not for that offside. They also had some chances to win the game.

For a team of our standing, and with the different in league positions and supposed quality and calibre of players, this should never have got to the point where it ended up. It's awful in-game management (again) and terrible professionalism (again).

Irwin99

Can't take another year of some of these players. Honestly i can't, especially under a new manager. Feck the manager btw he can get the sack and i wouldn't care, but seriously, how brain dead do you have to be to throw away a 3-0 lead to a championship team regardless of the players on the pitch? It's not just the manager. These players will NOT win you a league title.

Some of AwB's mistakes, Rashford's 'performance', Eriksen/Antony doing feck all when he came on, just appalling.

Bruno was the only player out there for me who played really well.

nazanto

Another final to look out for even if we know what the result would be. Gotta feel sorry for the Coventry though.

Agent Red

The United I grew up watching never accepted defeat and you always believed they could snatch a result. Now it’s the total inverse - whatever lead we have I have no confidence that we can defend it, and today there wasn’t even any fight to try and get back in front. The team isn’t great but they’re massively underpunching for the talent we have.

I was on the fence about ETH because we’ve been here with basically every manager post fergie, but today felt like a new low so I think may as well get rid now and try for a fresh restart with new leadership at every level of the club from the summer.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not many remember how Portugal won the Euro 2016, 3rd in their group, 1 win in the semi and 6 draws, who gives a feck about this when we lift the Cup and pull a Van Gaal when sacking Ten Hag the next day.

up the top reds.
Rashford will give instructions, limping by the side of the field in final. Yeah, I can see it.

tomaldinho1

Did we expect anything less. We’re through to the final and we’ll either win (and we won’t care one bit about this game) or get stuffed and we’ll not be surprised one bit either.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First time in 42 years of watching Utd I wanted the other team to win. Every fecking team on the planet has injuries, yet apparently this is one of the reasons why we have a manager who is SO Stubborn its beyond comprehension. Only one fit CF (not ETH's fault that) but cannot create meaningful passages of play for him. Rashford consistently a 5/10 player week in week out at best.

Maguire is no doubt going to get slaughtered for his post match comments but it tells the whole story of this club and team. 'It was like the world wanted Coventry to win' I dont blame Maguire for saying that. You could see that as soon as the goal went in for Coventry, no hiding place on the pitch, the players shrunk. Both Maguire and Bruno are great professionals who care about the club and will be part of that leadership group. Not captains though. No management on the pitch to see the game out and feck all from the sidelines to help them.

BorisManUtd

Think I never felt worse after a win. It's hard to say anything about this.

If we have Coventry fans on here, well done on great performance and a shame you couldn't go through. Few centrimeters away...

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
YESSSSSS GTFI!!!! WE'RE IN ANOTHER FA CUP FINAL!!!

doomy20

Was I the only one completely emotionless? It doesn’t even matter, another abysmal performance owns us embarrassment and a free beating in the final, so what.
Only thing they can still fight for is that EL spot but even that seems unreachable, Erics latest comments show he’s gone and the players know it

duckers

EtH at half time: “We need to find a way to get Hojlund to score”
The team then ensured they gave him that chance.

SATA

Glad the players didn’t had the gall to celebrate. Now all of them and the manager should walk home all the way back to Manchester

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Happy we're in the final of course. Actually dreamt we went to pens last night and that we won but didn't want to bring it up in the match thread unless it jinxed us! :lol: True story!

However, that was terribly unprofessional of us. Should never be struggling against Coventry after being 3 nil up. Terrible by us.

Congratulations to Coventry. They did themselves proud in the FA cup semi finals. Good luck to them for the rest of the season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Glad the players didn’t had the gall to celebrate. Now all of them and the manager should walk home all the way back to Manchester
:lol:

leoric

Undeserved without a doubt, Coventry can be proud of themselves and we should feel embarrassed, funny old game.

Woodzy

We probably need to pull a Tuchel and just arrange to let him go at the end of the season. He deserves to manage that final but there’s no way he should be here next season, and I hope we approach the situation with more class than we did with LvG

RedIan

At half time you would say we were playing really well. mainoo controlling the game. most of the team on 6 or 7/10
ETH substitutions completely changed the momentum, takes off mainoo and Garnacho our best players leaving Mct and Erikson and the mass of space they give. Suddenly coventry look like Real Madrid and we look like non league cart horses.

If i was ETH in before half time id be ETH out after those changes.
Won and in the final yet deflated.
city will smash us.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Somehow, I couldn't even celebrate when Hojlund scored...
I was in such a bad mood, I thought I’d be ambivalent .… then Hojlund buries it and autopilot (and 50 years) took over and I fist pumped the air in my lounge :lol:

But still the least happy I’ve been in what… 10+ cup finals I’ve watched us qualify for?

Youve got to be in it to win it

Rustyspider13

I'm bemused. Not really happy that we're in the final. Relieved that we are not absolutely bottom of the barrel. That's how bad it has gotten. This is what, our first win in like 2 months? And that too in a penalty shootout against Coventry after being 3-0 up. How can anyone have any hope of doing anything against City when any PL side or even a top championship side would've turned us over today? Nah, this feels like a low point even though we won.

Gotta give credit to Maguire and Bruno. They can walk away with their heads held high.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 33% of 213 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Coventry win
  • Draw