FA W FA Cup Semi-Final

Coventry City 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 21 April 2024

Josep Dowling

First time in 42 years of watching Utd I wanted the other team to win. Every fecking team on the planet has injuries, yet apparently this is one of the reasons why we have a manager who is SO Stubborn its beyond comprehension. Only one fit CF (not ETH's fault that) but cannot create meaningful passages of play for him. Rashford consistently a 5/10 player week in week out at best.

Maguire is no doubt going to get slaughtered for his post match comments but it tells the whole story of this club and team. 'It was like the world wanted Coventry to win' I dont blame Maguire for saying that. You could see that as soon as the goal went in for Coventry, no hiding place on the pitch, the players shrunk. Both Maguire and Bruno are great professionals who care about the club and will be part of that leadership group. Not captains though. No management on the pitch to see the game out and feck all from the sidelines to help them.
Agree with this. I might be in favour of Ten Hag if he actually benched players who aren’t up to it. Rashford needs to be dropped. Amad played great against Liverpool and not given a chance. Antony is now back in most games when he hasn’t played better. Continually takes off Garnacho whether he played good or bad. Continually making his first sub post 70 minutes regardless of the circumstance. It’s getting boring now.

quadrant

Result doesn't matter, that was the death knell for ETH in my opinion. Short of a demolition of City in the final, I don't think he has enough goodwill among the staff and players to make his ideas stick. I think he's been very unlucky with coming to the club at a time when it's entirely dysfunctional - I honestly doubt any available manager could have succeeded with the BS he's had to put up with. But when you're out of credit, it's nearly impossible to get it back again. I just hope we sort things out behind the scenes before we burn through yet another manager.

Betson

Keane is right , so hard to like this Utd team , no character or leadership. Lacking courage and conviction in everything they do.

Tiber

Saved by VAR against a mid table championship club after being 3-0 up. Embarrassing

sirAlexsglasses

It’s embarrassing to be a United fan, and I would t admit to anyone that does t know, that I’m a United fan. This lot are an embarrassment of the highest level, mentally weak and a disgrace, I would honestly sell 99% of them , totally unlikeable team

JP77

We’re piss poor but my god is it a crazy ride, got to be the most entertaining team to watch week in week out.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Roy Keane calling it like it is....I am almost getting to dislike them (the players).

Karen Carney calling it like it is.... Manchester United don't play like a team.

Perfect comments.

moodyred

We are so ridiculously chaotic but it seems some form of God or Devil want us to win that game somehow. You never know....we might just win it against City.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A man getting 2 yellow cards and staying on the pitch even though the ref is aware of it. Didn't think that was possible until today. Game's gone mad.

Who cares anyway, we're there. ETH got a chance to at least give us something now after this shambles of a season.
Literally the exact same scenario happened midweek to Martinez of Villa and there was loads of press and comments about it.
It's utterly pointless though, and simply gives them a freebie to do some arseholery. Same with timewasting. Once they have a yellow they can waste as much as they like.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
It’s embarrassing to be a United fan, and I would t admit to anyone that does t know, that I’m a United fan. This lot are an embarrassment of the highest level, mentally weak and a disgrace, I would honestly sell 99% of them , totally unlikeable team
An admin added the comment or whatever it’s called under my name because I stated we were embarrassing. Now look where we’ve reached.

MonkeysMagic

I should be elated in reaching another final but knowing what ETH is going to serve up, feels like we're already defeated! It's what watching this team over the last 18 months has done to fans and even the players don't look too pleased to be going there either!

DavidDeSchmikes

Look at the team's reaction after Hojluind scored. Sums it up.
Happy we're through, but feck me, you can't be binning 3 goals lead against Championship sides and barely hanging on at the end
Had we dominated them from start to finish and then won on penalties, it wouldn't have been as bad.

We won, let's never speak of this again

JG3001

I reckon that offside was only given cos of the dodgy penalty against us to begin with. I’d be fuming if it was the other way around.

Adz_99

We’re piss poor but my god is it a crazy ride, got to be the most entertaining team to watch week in week out.
If this was happening in Russia you would assume there was some dodgy betting syndicate involved.

I can't think of a football team in history who implodes with such predictability as this lot. Was anyone actually surprised when it went to 3-3?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
A man getting 2 yellow cards and staying on the pitch even though the ref is aware of it. Didn't think that was possible until today. Game's gone mad.

Who cares anyway, we're there. ETH got a chance to at least give us something now after this shambles of a season.
Yellow cards reset before pen shutout. It is in the laws. Maybe you are not very aware of the regulations

Irrational.

We didn’t deserve anything and are going to end up humiliated for the second season running in the final. Coventry would give City a tougher match.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We are so ridiculously chaotic but it seems some form of God or Devil want us to win that game somehow. You never know....we might just win it against City.
We really might. That's how bloody crazy the team is!

Unam333

I wasn't even happy after the penalty shootout. Just fuming and relieved we went through.

thisisnottaken1

We really might. That's how bloody crazy the team is!
I mean…considering how I expected Liverpool to demolish us in each of their three games against us yet they didn’t win one, it could happen. Highly unlikely though, but I’m hoping for the best.

Gaidal

I used to dream about meeting unitedplayers, now I hope i never do. I wouldnt be able to keep myself from punching them straight in the balls.

Not like it would hurt them though, no balls in this team.

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
Basing this on nothing at all. But for any neutral out there is that one of the craziest fa cup semi‘s ever?
It was certainly a crazy game, but the feeling among myself and other neutrals I know is disappointment that Coventry fans have been denied seeing a historic goal they would have remembered for the rest of their lives and one of the greatest comebacks ever because the player's toenail was offside. VAR is awful and football would be better off without it.

Canuckred64

Why are we so bad in the last 20 minutes of a game. If it's not tactics, is it lack of conditioning? We must have set a record for most penalties after 90 minutes and goals conceded in extra time.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It was certainly a crazy game, but the feeling among myself and other neutrals I know is disappointment that Coventry fans have been denied seeing a historic goal they would have remembered for the rest of their lives and one of the greatest comebacks ever because the player's toenail was offside. VAR is awful and football would be better off without it.
Yeah I think that fair

Manny

Grammar Police
Can we start tearing up player contracts? Repeat offenders going right back to Ole's time.

redmanx

Agree with this. I might be in favour of Ten Hag if he actually benched players who aren’t up to it. Rashford needs to be dropped. Amad played great against Liverpool and not given a chance. Antony is now back in most games when he hasn’t played better. Continually takes off Garnacho whether he played good or bad. Continually making his first sub post 70 minutes regardless of the circumstance. It’s getting boring now.
I agree 100% re Rashford and his pathetic performance today did nothing to change my opinion of him. Garnacho is a constant threat all the while hes on the pitch, so why does ETH keep taking him off? We still have no idea of Amads potential because he doesnt get a run of games to show what he can do. Antony is the most predictable player on the planet, even though some people claim hes starting to mix his play up a bit, but also his decision making is crap, unless its an instantaneous reaction. ETH should shoulder the blame for continuing to play players who are simply not good enough but the way the entire team collapsed after Coventrys first goal was most certainly not his fault. At 3-0 we were cruising, but then some of them decided the match was over and virtually stopped playing; Onana started acting like an idiot trying to waste time and was booked and instead of going for the 4th goal we dithered and pissed about allowing Coventry to push us back, leading to the now almost inevitable collapse we've seen too many times already this season. I doubt very much that ETH tells the players to faf around rather than keep playing, its the mindset and attitude of too many of our players that constantly and continually drags the team down. Today while we were unlucky in conceding a goal from a wicked deflection and another from a penalty that never was, this game should have been dead and buried long before with us winning by 5 or 6.

Man of the Match

Harry Maguire image Harry Maguire 33% of 213 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 223 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Coventry win
  • Draw