PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

manunited1919

The team sheet asked for trouble. And sure enough, there was trouble. Especially worried about Rashford he looks broken.
He doesn’t look like he has completely gotten over his injury. Still, he needs competition to spur him on, and by that I don’t mean Mata, Lingard, or James.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
interesting comments from another ref on the handball and retaken penalty.

Last edited:

Devil81

Think we need to be more concerned with the condition of the players than individual performances today.

Lindelof and Shaw are a total disgrace but let's be honest nobody was match fit today, in fact you'd have to say they looked like it was the first pre season friendly game against a totally fit eleven.

How can they justify being so unfit from a break when they had 3 months off earlier in the year. They have a duty to keep fit, they only needed a three week break and back to fitness training. Instead they had four weeks and then a broken up squad due to internationals.

Most worrying thing is I don't think we're close to being fit enough for next weekend either. Full strength against Luton, they need the fitness.

Neo_Mufc

Don't normally have much of a moan but that opener to the season is one of the worst I've ever seen.

I feel sick after watching that shite.

giggsziniho

Disgusting performance no passion no heart. Least I expect from a united team is to see them fight for every ball. A bunch of mercenaries the lot of them. First game of the season they should be up for a fight. To start the game like they did is unacceptable. Been a season ticket holder for years and always have tried to look for the positives but none today. The lack of planning and signings is ridiculous but no excuse for what the players served up today.

Rolaholic

That right flank was shocking bar some decent runs from Timbo

Oddly enough, this hasn't been a new phenomenon for close to a decade now :lol: :(

Maureen-yo

Disgusting performance no passion no heart. Least I expect from a united team is to see them fight for every ball. A bunch of mercenaries the lot of them. First game of the season they should be up for a fight. To start the game like they did is unacceptable. Been a season ticket holder for years and always have tried to look for the positives but none today. The lack of planning and signings is ridiculous but no excuse for what the players served up today.
Agreed, the only one I saw giving anything close to passion was Bruno, he was sprinting back to put challenges in. The rest seemed to just accept defeat at 2-0.

Rolaholic

Agreed, the only one I saw giving anything close to passion was Bruno, he was sprinting back to put challenges in. The rest seemed to just accept defeat at 2-0.
Bruno was shocking in his own right and gave the ball away in bad spots with regularity, nobody came out of that looking particularly good quite honestly. Bar VDB maybe

Mixture of everyone not showing up with the lack of a real preseason and a poor set up. Would love to see how our training sessions look like though given how disjointed the team looks on occasion

united for life

Ole was seething with anger. But he hardly say anything in media so what's the point
At the end of last season, when we lost against Sevilla, he said that it is obvious that we need to sign players in the summer. Today he also said that the defeat showed that we need signings. He is doing his part. We don't want a mourinho fighting in the media.

but it wasn't only about lack of signings today. I'd like to think that we can win against Palace with this team. However, united lacked urgency on the pitch. What was that?

Eplel

We're hopeless.

Our board is clueless.

Our manager is way out of his depth and everyone in the league know this.

Our best talents are either knackered or don't give a shit anymore.

At least our finances are good, eh?

Coops73

I’m lost for words. I think we all know what’s needed, investment. But we’re not getting it, it’s a really sad thing to see.

Stacks

Anyone with a bare minimum idea about football and United knows that we needed a RW and CB from last season. 1st game in - we still need a CB and a RW!

What part of that is so difficult to understand??? What... should we just wait till losing these games before reacting? This is on Ed and the board! Ridiculous!
We have better players than Palace. We should beat them with our current quality

Blood Mage

We are so badly coached and the 4-2-3-1 system doesn't suit the players we have. We rely on the individual brilliance of Pogba, Fernandes and Martial to win games for us and when all 3 of them play shite it's basically guaranteed dropped points for us. The fecking state of the club at the moment, seriously.

dutchred

i can understand a lot of things. We are not good enough. Maguire and Lindelof are probably the worst CB's in our history and in the current PL. Rashford has lost it. James is a Championship player.
But

Why are we are so unfit? We looked so tired and unfit. My school teams looks fitter

Eplel

It is shocking how quickly people get on Ole. The team he picked today was strong enough to win. At least on paper it was. The players were abysmal. That's not always the manager's fault.
A manager's job is not just to pick the players.

Rolaholic

It was clear we needed more investment to improve prior to last season finishing,it was clear during the summer and its even more clear now.

Everyone from the fans, manager and pundits repeated it ad-nauseum yet feck all was done in that regard.

Some teams don't need much investment to compete but that's due to having top of the line/elite managers or having a strong club structure. You can count on one hand the top teams that have either of those.

We have neither so investment will always be necessary to improve yet even that seems too much to ask for and the management seem content with becoming a rich Arsenal as long as they continue to make money

kettledrumhamster

Pogba and Rashford - really need to have options to replace these two because they frankly have far too many off days where they appear to just be off the pace/lazy/out of ideas.

But the single most important thing for me is to buy two attacking fullbacks (or give Dalot a chance). Without that option, it is far to easy to defend against us. If you cant get fullbacks overlapping your wingers, your wingers become ineffective. This was as true with fecking Irwin/Giggs and Neville/Beckham as it is today, but we seem to be blind to the obvious problem, and we have been for years.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Absolute disgrace of a performance. All the controversy over the summer maguire and greenwood caused you would think the team would respond with a resounding victory and performance, instead we get a limp performance from a team that has too many passengers. Deadwood needs shifted out of the club, whether they go for free just to clear them out and free up wages. Lindelof another shocking performance, ddg as well with sloppy play. Bruno gave it away too easy, pogba needs sold, Dan James is a waste of money even at 15m

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
You're twisting his words.

He didn't speculate - he said they ALL SAY IT. Openly. That's revealing a fact, not speculating.

Everyone knows how poorly we conduct business. It is a fact.
I wouldn’t say I was twisting words rather than being cautious with journalistic reports.

But yeah, it seems to have quite a lot of smoke behind the idea.

peridigm

A manager's job is not just to pick the players.
He supposed to move for them? Run for them? Pass for them? Shoot for them? Work for them? This was such a lazy performance through and through. No excuses for any of the players.
DDG coming off his line was the last error I needed to see from him. Hope he's dropped for the next PL match.

VivaRonaldo85

Well played Palace. Well organised and a big, strong and fit looking premier league side.

I think anyone who solely blames our fitness levels today is being remarkably kind to Ole, Woodward and the Glazers. I accept we’re probably a couple of weeks behind Palace, but I’m afraid we have greater problems than a couple of weeks fitness.

Whilst the club’s hierarchy sees a third place finish last season as a reason to rejoice, we are standing still accepting a fight for the top 4 is this club’s level. All around us our rivals in the top 6 continue to improve their squads both early and efficiently. Just look at Liverpool.... they are acting just like prime Fergie United.... win the league and then go and strengthen again. Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal, even Spurs (now) all improving their teams/squads. We urgently need an attacking left back, a mobile quick centre half and an attacking right sided goal scoring forward in the next fortnight. I guess we might get one.

I’d also like to see Pogba given a more free roll further up the pitch. He’s wasted sat in a pivoting two and can’t hurt teams where he plays for us. He should be like a prime Yaya Toure for us bursting out of midfield yet he just sits in a deep lying two fouling players all the time as he can’t read the game defensively or tackle to save his life. Ole is wasting his talent massively in my opinion.

Anyway, Ole has a lot of work to do but needs the support from above or he is literally pissing up hill and into the wind.

Reactions: Penna

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
I thought that there were quite a few positives from today to be honest. Disappointing though the result was, Palace are a decent side and with no fans in the ground, we didn’t really have home advantage, so we couldn’t influence and put pressure on the referee. That apart, I think that the signs are good.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
My frustration may be clouding my memory here but I'm pretty sure we failed to complete a single pass today. Don't correct me. Like I say, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

The Oracle

We're hopeless.

Our board is clueless.

Our manager is way out of his depth and everyone in the league know this.

Our best talents are either knackered or don't give a shit anymore.

At least our finances are good, eh?
Brilliant comment. I agree with everything that you have said.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Disgusted with that performance.

Ok: Martial, VdB,
Shite: Maguire, Greenwood, Fosu
Worse than shite: Everyone else
Martial was okay? One of the worst performances I’ve seen from him.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Can anyone confirm that Pogba completed more passes to Palace players than any Palace players?

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace