Manchester United 1:3 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 September 2020

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They’re match fit - Utd aren’t
Indeed. But it was a lot more than just that. Roy Hodgson team tactics and preparation was orders of magnitude better than United. Palace knew exactly what they were doing. Can anyone honestly say the same about us. We were miles off.

fps

At least we’re not Spurs...
I’m glad I got rid of my sky sports subscription this year, can’t see this season being much different from last one unless Sancho comes in, much as Spurs need Bale to catalyse them.
Edit: they’ve got Son though.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah a few of them have played football but I suppose playing together and getting in rhythm with each other is important. I certainly agree though that whatever preparation deficit we had with Palace doesn't completely explain that woeful performance.
Lindelof didn't wasn't sent home due to fatigue.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Going into this game I stupidly thought maybe we weren’t so far off the top two as people may think. What we did towards the end of last season was impressive and we looked good.

watching that yesterday, I don’t want to panic too much as it’s only our first game.. but it cant be denied we are so far away from where we should be.

Can’t really blame the players, not their fault they are just not good enough throughout the whole squad. The tactics are a little off which doesn’t help. I’m sure they give their all every game and while they do that, we need to keep supporting them.
Yes we can blame the players. Their attitude was terrible.
And the tactics were more than a little off.
Of course we will support them. But both manager and players deserve criticism for such a bad performance. That is the reality of the premier League.

Rolaholic

That's especially suicidal when we have a CB pairing as slow as our £110m one

arthurka

Why play James when Greenwood was fit. These sort of decisions will lose us points.
James didn't cost us goals did he 3 of 4 defensive starters played and they all looked shit. Shaw and Lindelöf should be worried but sadly I think we won't sign players to take their places.

ForeverRed1

Yes we can blame the players. Their attitude was terrible.
And the tactics were more than a little off.
Of course we will support them. But both manager and players deserve criticism for such a bad performance. That is the reality of the premier League.
Of course. Your stating the Obvious. But the players can’t be Blamed for the ridiculous contracts they are given. For not being good enough. There are too many players here that simply are not good enough! Not united level Can we blame them for being here? No. Stupid contracts. Bad signings. Wrong manager, possibly. But ole will be here for aslong as he can be here. It’s the board that is the problem, the problem starts from the top and flows down.

red4ever 79

I have just watched the game again and to be fair we were lucky it only finished 3-1. That performance and result is an absolute disgrace. Crystal fecking Palace have now won back to back games at old trafford. I am not buying into this we were not fit bull shit. The players looked half arsed. The manager has one game plan and doesnt know tactically how to change formation or set up during a match. At least 4 of those players that started yesterday are not good enough to start. One fecking signing all summer for a team that finished 33 points off the top last year. Even Liverpool and City have signed more players. The owners are a joke, the CEO is a joke, the manager is out of depth and the players looked like they dont give a shite.

Bestofthebest

I have just watched the game again and to be fair we were lucky it only finished 3-1. That performance and result is an absolute disgrace. Crystal fecking Palace have now won back to back games at old trafford. I am not buying into this we were not fit bull shit. The players looked half arsed. The manager has one game plan and doesnt know tactically how to change formation or set up during a match. At least 4 of those players that started yesterday are not good enough to start. One fecking signing all summer for a team that finished 33 points off the top last year. Even Liverpool and City have signed more players. The owners are a joke, the CEO is a joke, the manager is out of depth and the players looked like they dont give a shite.
Not a lot more to say really. Think this will be a long, hard season. Can’t understand what it is about players who come to Utd. they appear to think they can do just as they want and nothing matters. They never seem to give their all wether they win lose or draw.

CR1

Hardly a surprising result or performance given the lack of a preseason plus the low number of transfer ins and outs. Prior to this match, Palace had played four friendlies and three competitive games in comparison to our single friendly.

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Case closed.

VDB should have started ahead of Pogba though. But we still managed to control large swathes of the match, even though we didn't create nearly enough chances and couldn't control them on the break. Palace are no pushovers, they've got a good manager and some good players like Zaha etc. A bit of a bogey team for us in recent years.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

-Sounds about right. It's always something on the fitness-fatigue spectrum. Either we've played too many games or we haven't played enough games. Two months ago that exact performance would have been attributed to the boys being knackered
Exactly, just feels as a lame excuse at the moment.

Either unfit because Mou regimen sucked, or because we play too many games and now its because not enough games or whatever.

Maybe it has something to do with the coaching? I mean I didn't saw any other club perform as bad as us. Even Chelsea, Arsenal and Wolves who stopped playing around the same time as us. Somehow they don't seem affected.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
I hope your winding everyone up, I think the signs for the season suggest it's going to be a long season. Although only the first game of the season, this has carried on from last season during the pathetic displays against Chelsea and Sevilla in the cup games.
I was encouraged by a lot of what I saw. We are still a team that is trying to get over the retirement of Alex Ferguson and we need time. Personally, I wouldn’t sign anybody else at the moment. Gary Neville has said something similar (although he thinks that we need a centre half). The only tweak I would make would be to bring back Smalling to replace Lindelof and get Jones back in the team as soon as possible. This team needs a warrior and for all of the criticism levelled at him, Phil Jones is our Rambo. It’s only the first game of the season. Keep the faith.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Of course. Your stating the Obvious. But the players can’t be Blamed for the ridiculous contracts they are given. For not being good enough. There are too many players here that simply are not good enough! Not united level Can we blame them for being here? No. Stupid contracts. Bad signings. Wrong manager, possibly. But ole will be here for aslong as he can be here. It’s the board that is the problem, the problem starts from the top and flows down.
I didn't get a degree in stating that obvious for nothing then.

I do agree with lots of that. But not totally that the players are not good enough. They should be improving. And that is down to the coaches and themselves.
None of them are maximising their abilities and there is plenty of scope for them to develop.
But I believe that it is far too easy for them to just coast along, which is a terrible thing to do at a club that like Manchester United.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I was encouraged by a lot of what I saw. We are still a team that is trying to get over the retirement of Alex Ferguson and we need time. Personally, I wouldn’t sign anybody else at the moment. Gary Neville has said something similar (although he thinks that we need a centre half). The only tweak I would make would be to bring back Smalling to replace Lindelof and get Jones back in the team as soon as possible. This team needs a warrior and for all of the criticism levelled at him, Phil Jones is our Rambo. It’s only the first game of the season. Keep the faith.
ban this troll

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah, hard to disagree with this. The manager’s job is to get the squad playing to the best of their ability. If we can’t manage that then it’s basically pointless signing new players.

The only thing I would take issue with about that tweet is the implication that a team could/should never be outplayed by another team with a weaker squad. It happens literally every weekend.

thomas porter

A truly horrible/awful/pick your adjective performance yesterday.

A few things I will say specific to the team performance:

-Dan James should be banned from playing on the right wing. He's only effective on the left wing where he can cut in and shoot.
-Martial and Rashford did not look anywhere near match fit.
-Pogba was average at best.
-Mctominay isn't good enough. Works hard but his passing is no where near the standards needed for a Manchester United player. Southampton is his level IMO.
-Not sure what to say about Bruno. Not necessarily a bad game but did nothing of note. I will say I think the move to drop him deeper and play DVB as a 10 is strange as I was expecting the opposite.
-Maguire & Lindelof are a terrible partnership. Maguire absolutely has to have a fast & athletic partner next to him like Bailly. I just don't understand why Ole persists with this partnership when it so clearly doesn't work.
-De Gea with the ball at his feet is a disaster. Almost cost us 2 goals in the 1st half.
-Lindelof, maybe his worst game in a United shirt. The pk call was harsh but on the 1st goal he was too slow & the 3rd goal he was manhandled.
-Shaw-Looks 10 lbs. overweight & absolutely awful marking on the 1st goal.
-TFM probably our best defender on the day, still no where near good enough though.

We still need at least 3 players to get Top 4 IMO (LCB, LB, RW) & desperately need to get fit ASAP. Crystal Palace looked so much more prepared & fit.

TJ Reid

Supports
Arsenal
Indeed. But it was a lot more than just that. Roy Hodgson team tactics and preparation was orders of magnitude better than United. Palace knew exactly what they were doing. Can anyone honestly say the same about us. We were miles off.
True, not just tactics, for whatever reason both your central defenders were lacking and a lack of creativity and urgency in midfield. I cannot remember a Utd team‘s passing being so average.

Maticmaker

For me the most worrying thing about yesterday was that now Bruno is showing signs of getting drawn into the morass.

I don't know if I am imaging it or not, but every player we have bought for some time now and certainly everyone that Ole has bought, has come to us with a 'freshness' about them and for anything up to half a season have played well and we have all said 'good buy'.

It doesn't seem to last though, somehow they all get sucked into a kind of footballing morass, that seems to wear them down. Usually when players come to a new club they struggle to begin with, then eventually they start to fit in, but somehow with us it seems to go the other way, brilliant when they arrive but slowly they go off the boil... is that what people mean by learning to play the United way?

Its obviously not how we played in the past...or is it, but now its too dated and too reliant on having up to six or seven elite players in the team, who can win you games on their own? If is the case then the sooner we get the six or seven elite players the better, otherwise sack the whole managerial and coaching staff and bring in those who can make "silk purses out of sow's ears".

r0663664

Worships Man City
Tactical naive, sloppiness from many players. Is Ole blind? Can he see Palace posing a threat everytime they break forward. Why doesn't he make changes during the game? Is he blind to see that there is nobody supporting Martial? Why doesn't he move Rushford nearer to goal? Where is the ball over the top? Ball spread to left than to right and then back to left. Are we hurting them? Surely a coach will make adjustment. Ole will sit on his throne, no instructions given. Surely these "world class" players can figure out themselves. Maybe moment of magic (at least 3-4) that we can win. Anyway, I am done. Man Utd from top to bottom is a joke. Ownership, COE, Manager, assistant managers, deadwood players. Please get a coach who knows how to improve players, not a coach buys buy quality. If buying players is the only way Ole can do his job then he can leave Utd.

Glorio

To be fair, we played at the level that a team with no pre-season would be expected to. I'm reading a lot of posters sweep it under the carpet as though it's a non issue. I disagree

To expect us to turn over a match fit Premier League team when we've had no pre-season, and very little time together - just because we have better quality - is disrespectful. Even MLS or Chinese League teams have given us real issues when we start out pre-season.

Get young talent

Yes. Why play a high line like that though when your defence is full of slow players. It was asking for trouble.
Exactly

The world of football only allow fast players in every position.

Slow players should be avoided

Basic rules of 2020 football

Just look at pool, to understand this fact

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
ban this troll
What? You think that because I suggest that Jones would add some fight to the team and that Smallingnis an improvement on Lindelof I’m a ‘troll’? Dear me. Utd fans aren’t what they used to be.

mu4c_20le

What? You think that because I suggest that Jones would add some fight to the team and that Smallingnis an improvement on Lindelof I’m a ‘troll’? Dear me. Utd fans aren’t what they used to be.
Don't mind him he'a n idiot

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Jesus (pbuh) wept! :nervous:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
To be fair, we played at the level that a team with no pre-season would be expected to. I'm reading a lot of posters sweep it under the carpet as though it's a non issue. I disagree

To expect us to turn over a match fit Premier League team when we've had no pre-season, and very little time together - just because we have better quality - is disrespectful. Even MLS or Chinese League teams have given us real issues when we start out pre-season.
I agree.
Plus “we should be beating Palace at home” is a bit weird considering
a) home or away is basically the same without crowd
b) if we were that good that we could beat the majority of the mid-table and lower teams we would actually be title contenders

A game plan no matter how good it is just cannot work if your players are permanently giving the ball away and aren’t able to pass to a teammate.
I can also understand not starting Greenwood and VdB. One only joined training very late and the other is a new signing who has only played about 2 games since March.

I expect us to improve quickly as we gain more match fitness.

I am a bit worried as yesterday’s result puts us already under pressure and the next PL games against Brighton and Spurs won’t be easy but it is as it is and we can now only hope that performances and results improve sooner rather than later.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 394 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace
  • 18% Man Utd 3:0 Crystal Palace