PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 1:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 18 January 2023

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Worst second half in a while and that equaliser was coming for a very long time. AWB was the standout. The lad seems to have turned a corner. Reality check for ETH and the players - some of whom need to take a good look at themselves. Antony needs dropped and Bruno needs to stop the useless flicks.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why?
For me Case is the difference between 3 points or 0 points against Arsenal.
So that’s 4 points from 2 games with Case or 3 points without Case
But without him tonight we might not ever have been leading, and who knows could have lost?
He's no guarantee of anything v Arsenal.

Artorias

Is ETH doing an Ole? He knows that he can make changes when the players are tired, right?

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought we were past the idiotic flick phase but apparently not. Reverted to type tonight. The defence is carrying this team, need the attackers to pull their fecking fingers out.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Antony and especially Rashford were terrible. McTominay comically bad too. Bruno too lazy in the 2nd half. Its like they thought we'd won this and didn't bother for the 2nd half.

So fecking pissed off, its games like these we need to win if we're ever gonna go anywhere.

justboy68

First half was very solid. Second half a disaster. The manner of losing Cas and conceding a wonder goal is devastating.

Gorse Hill Red

Just knew that free kick would go in. Utterly deflated from that result and 2nd half performance. Knew a title challenge was too good to be true.

youngrell

What a sucker punch. I suppose Casemiro’s suspension is less important now.

Every sub seemed to make things worse, which is unusual for ETH but must be said.

Sensed something like this would happen when the pen got waved away.

Redlyn

We trusted so much in our defense we sleep walked through the whole second half with zero intensity. We only started to play once we conceded. If we pulled it off we would have called it good game management. We didn't and now its just poor dropped points.

Losing casemiro is also a massive loss vs Arsenal but we need to overcome that. No choice now.

Also happy rashford's streak is over. You could see it was affecting his judgement. Now he can go back to picking the best option and not the selfish one.

Samoerai Jack

Was always going to be a rough game and Crystal Palace was up for it. Really thought we had enough to hold onto the win but the pressure was too much. Exhausting game mentally and physically, the lack of depth is really showing.

Still, plenty of positives: De Gea with some world class goalkeeping, Wan Bissaka turning up with a massive performance and Weghorst settling in quite nicely. That first half was looking very good as well. It feels like a punch to the gut, but only because of the excellent performance and mentality of the team lately.

Pickle85

Really poor second half but at least we didn't lose it. Lots of poor performances...we badly needed to calm down and take the sting out of them for the last half hour or so but failed. Bad decision by Case for that foul, bad from ETH not to bring him off earlier. It was always pushing his luck. One bright spot was Garnacho when he came on. Didn't do loads but looks confident and makes really good decisions on the ball for someone so young.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Surely nobody seriously thought we were in for a shot at the title
Why put a limit on things?
If we'd come through tonight, which we very nearly did, we'd have gone into the weekend full confidence, then who knows?
We're in January for goodness sake.

Blood Mage

Bruno back to his normal level of being a complete liability in possession and costing us points.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I feel like we’re the only side that consistently concede goals like that. We have some shit luck at times.

Paul778

A game too far from Rashford and when he did get into a good position he was thinking of his goal scoring streak and not the team. An off night from him....

But it was business as usual from Anthony. Why he wasn't subbed at half time is beyond me. He was billed when he came here as a massive personality no fear type player. Right now i don't know what he is.

WW looked okay. The odd piece of good link up play. Hard to make any greater analysis when the rest of the front line was gash.

We had one good goal scoring opportunity when one of theirs switched off with Erikson. Other than that next to nothing in final third.

Biggest problem for me is the right wing. Feels like Pellestri was a missed opportunity at HT today.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
At half time at the weekend we all thought he was coming off, so there's every chance he's not quite 100%.
He's excused after his 8 goals since the World cup!
IDK. If he isn't 100% then he should not have started, and if he starts he shouldn't go 90.

CM

The last 15 minutes of that match was fecking brutal man. The combination of the Casemiro suspension and the late Palace equaliser has pretty much put any chances of a title charge to bed in one fell swoop.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Rashford’s performance was just horrible
Felt like he was chasing records rather than a win. There were a fair amount of times where he should have passes it to a teammate which could have let to a chance/danger.

Just Hope

It is what it is.

You can feel the price of ETH system and how it affects players' stamina.

Shit game, shit subs, and some less-than-shit performances. Three points today would have been enormous but let us be honest, the process is just starting, and we need to support the manager and the team more than ever.

BorisManUtd

Disappointing as we needed all 3 points but I'd say it's a fair result as we we poor that 2nd half. Palace deserved that point even though we could've got the win even after equalizer.

It's essentially result that puts us out of title race (if we were ever really in it) and Casemiro's yellow that makes our chances vs Arsenal much, much slimmer.

One positive is that we gained a point from this game, so 6 points more than Spurs and they go to Etihad tomorrow. Hopefully Liverpool-Chelsea game at the weekend finishes a draw, that would be perfect result for us.

RuudTom83

Horrible game to play tonight...the scenario around the whole game with Sunday in mind and the suspensions etc.

But United can't win every game, and we would of all taken 4 points from the 2 games (Palace and Arsenal) they are just going to have to do it the hard way now.

Barthez

Drew a game after an incredible run of wins.
Some people in here really need to take a chill pill and sit down. Some of what I have read is just embarrassing.

RedChisel

I don't think a meltdown is justified on this occasion. Yes we were poor but still should have won. Still comfortably in the top 4, we were never challenging for the title this season. Need to forget this and move on to Arsenal.

Unam333

Tough one to take, super free kick at the end there. It wasn’t a great performance and a draw was probably fair in the end. The full backs played great as did Varane and De Gea, but the rest were really below par. You could tell that the team were saving themselves for the weekend as our tempo was really slow for most of the game. Casemiro's booking is a really shame too, almost certain it was going to happen though.

After our run of wins, a draw is an ok result, we’ve had enough good results lately to allow for a draw at a difficult ground. The point takes us into third and possibly with City winning tomorrow, they can keep Spurs away or at least a draw means no damage done.
It was certainly coming. We were inviting pressure. We couldn't keep the ball and our forward players kept losing the ball cheaply.

Dan_F

Major overreaction here. It’s just very disappointing. That’s all
I haven’t been that disappointed after a game for a while, everything’s felt a bit meh for a while. Loses just met with resignation. I’m glad it feels important again.

Red_Aaron

The level of frustration is a reflection of how well we've been doing of late.

Not a vintage performance but we were on the brink of another win on the bounce with another clean sheet to boot

Then suddenly a wonderful freekick flies in. football can do that to you unfortunately

Gutted but let's not forget where we've come from

Rustyspider13

That really pissed me off. We had that game completely in control and then stupid decisions cost us not just this game but probably against Arsenal too. Bruno's stupid flick leading to Casemiro's card and Rashford being selfish multiple times at 1-0 are just woeful decision making. Have to mention that 'no obvious error' bs from VAR as well. Another day we get the penalty and it's over at 2-0. I hope the refs are happy now that they've rectified their 'mistake' against City.

No time to wallow in this shit result. We beat Arsenal without Casemiro for 80 mins at OT so it's not impossible. Will be massively difficult but I'll take that game as a free hit now.

Withnail

Feck stupid VAR and a quality free kick. I suppose we weren't going to keep winning forever anyway. Hopefully we can get a decent result at the weekend without Casemiro.

Theonas

Scout
We played a good first half but just went to sleep in the second. We're still not good enough to go on title winning runs and nor should we be expected to in EtH's first season. The realistic target was always a comfortable top 4 finish with improving performances and the foundations of a team being built. We are on course to achieving that. Add to it a trophy and it's a brilliant season considering where were last May.

Baneofthegame

Gutting with the result, but we were awful second half, Bruno with some absolutely shocking decisions, compounded with the Casemiro yellow.

Ceteris

Our players are daft, we have a target man upfront but we never played off him enough. I remember only 3 crosses into him two were way off.

Casemiro should have been off long before that card.

Lights Out

Crystal Palace - one of the best set-piece teams in the league

United - here let’s give loads of needless free-kicks away

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It is what it is.

You can feel the price of ETH system and how it affects players' stamina.

Shit game, shit subs, and some less-than-shit performances. Three points today would have been enormous but let us be honest, the process is just starting, and we need to support the manager and the team more than ever.
A little stock check of where we were, and how we look now doesn't go amiss.

Great run of wins until tonight and looking pretty in the cups.
It's huge progress from last year already, in half a season.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Don't think that result or second half was anything more than game 8 since the WC catching up to us.

By the 70th minute some of the team looked completely done and dusted.

Hindsight is wonderful of course. Sunday will be interesting.

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 43% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd