PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:1 Crystal Palace

Post-match discussion

Sat, 30 September 2023

Crimson King

I think we actually played well.

Kept the pressure on Palace for around 70 minutes, but just didn't score.

Final thirds the issue, I think we miss Antony on the right. Need a run of good form for the forwards and goals will do that.

When Shaw is back and Amrabat is in the midfield a fully fit squad makes us one of the best in the league IMO just need another game or two but I think we're turning a corner.

Ignore the result today there were some good performances and we're not far off it.
I don't think you're entirely wrong, but it's still a very worrying outcome. This sort of thing happened at least once a season when SAF was in charge, and we were a much better side then. The problem is that we couldn't afford to feck this one up, especially as we've not shown ourselves to be good enough to claw some points against better opponents. We also needed Rashford to have a good game, or at least bundle one in off his arse, so he could get some confidence and form going.

We completely dominated and did enough to get something from the game, but we didn't. It's kind of mad that Palace could offer so little, and yet go home with 3 points. So as much as this was 'one of those days', as my old man always says, it's actually becoming the norm now, worryingly.

I'll try and keep my patience, but I can understand why plenty are starting to lose faith.

johanovic

Garnacho and Hannibal should have started this game...speed and workrate. Rashford should be benched...he´s playing at the same level as his friend Sancho now and needs a kick up the .... Play McTominey at Rb and Dalot a LB and let Amrabat play with Bruno + Hannibal. Casemiero looks like he´s aged 5 years since last season and is so slow. This has become such an depressing start to the season that it´s beyond belief.

R'hllor

This was something alright, subs were next level, sub RW but leave LW and ST out there to stink even more and then move stinking LW on the RW lul . No need to comment on Bruno and Mount wombo combo.

The amount of money we waste of feckers both on transfer fees and wages in general and then you praise mention some random player and all jump in with "he aint good enough for us" line, fecking no shame.

RedDevil@84

ETH has my sympathies for the injury situation and I am pretty sure we would have played lot better if Reguilon was available and Amrabat was able to play in midfield. But our passing and control is crap. ETH should be doing lot well with the team or show some balls. Drop big players like Rash and Bruno and anyone else if needed and play with others. Play Hannibal when he is in form. Play Garnacho. Make those big decisions. That's what he was signed up to do.

Dominant

Why can’t Rashford be dropped? Sick and tired of watching him stink up the place seriously.

RedOrange

Speaks volumes when Rashford is being taken off when we need a goal. I think the criticism he gets is unfair, but his performances this season are starting to become a problem.
What's unfair about it? He's got one goal in 7 matches this year and offers absolutely nothing off the ball. He's been hot garbage.

goalscholes

Hojlund might turn out to be star in the future but he absolutely isn't a profile we need RIGHT NOW. We needed a Harry Kane and Harry fecking Kane himself was available during the summer! Shambles.
We’re in this state because we keep spending 70m on players who give us 2 seasons then are past their peak. It wasn’t hard, but I think he was probably our best player other than Varane.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I won’t be watching if Rashford starts

<edit> I will. I won’t be able to help myself. But he won’t have my support. Does that make me a d1ck. Probably….but he needs a run of strong performances before he gets this fan back onboard. And those performance shouldn’t be imminent. He needs to be benched and earn it when called upon
I honestly cant be bothered to watch if he’s starting the next match. He plays like he hates football, just go fecking retire if playing football is such a chore.

OrcaFat

It would though. It always does.
Not really true. Sometimes it does. It’s never really worked for us since we sacked Big Ron and got SAF and, frankly, it took at least four years before we started looking decent.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
We don’t seem to have the football intelligence or speed of movement to create decent chances. Some strange substitutions from EtH and too many poor performances. Rashford needs benched and Hoijlund needs proper service.

hobbers

Didnt we have more 3+ goals scored than any other manager since Fergie?

Now we are going Wenger ball -- lots of possession and pretty intricate passing like we are trying to walk the ball into the net. Like Ole said -- just shoot. Fecking shoot.

So now if we are lucky we score more than 2 goals per match. And thats a good day.
Probably. It failed at all the key times but the one thing Ole's teams could do is score goals when the going was good. And also play the underdog role away from home.

thedvil

We have been a mid table team overachieving for a long time, we are no longer overachieving...

Our Transfer business has been sub standard
Our Training facilities our sub standard
Our Fitness regime is sub standard
Our Coaches are sub standard
Our Directors are sub standard
Our Owners are sub standard
Our manager is sub standard, either due to the above or being found out in a top league it could be 50/50 im not sure.

Either we get new owners or accept this reality and the pain is not as bad.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Harsh on Rashford and Bruno, none of our players performed today. Pellistri was terrible. If anything Martial should have started ahead of Höjlund against a low block. Very unlucky to lose this game but ETH is not taking us forward.
What people fail to see with this is that these two guys are the reason we are lacking cohesion in the team.

We were much better on Tuesday, even if the opposition was trash.We need players who are confident on the ball and can 'bop' it around confidently.

These two (Rashford and Bruno) do not know the meaning of the word composure. And, in my opinion, composure and control is how you consistently play well and win leagues.

We are on a hiding to Chelsea if we keep going this way.

Bowlcut11

Our squad have the lowest football intelligence of any side I've ever seen. They get into good positions and turn back. Garnacho beats a man down the wing, plays to Bruno who turns and passes back. The fouling of players in their own half who are just begging for any contact to go down.

It's insanity. I just don't understand how they've made it this far with good technique etc only to always make the wrong choices. Beyond frustrated

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Our inability to score is just unforgiveable at this point. Just cannot be a serious team and be this bad at putting the ball in the net.

The Hilton

Being the better team at old Trafford against palace should be a given. Its not a positive it’s barely even context. We need to judge the team by their ability to win games like this.
Most times we play that match we take our chances (and Palace don't score their ridiculously low percentage goal), and we win comfortably.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Missed the match and just saw the result. My reaction was a mixture of "ffs really?!" And "I'm not surprised."

This is shite.

swooshboy

Band of Brothers
CP scored a worldie that flies over 9 times out of 10.

We were unlucky not to put 2 or 3 past them, and had a stonewall pen denied.

We dominated and Palace never looked like doing anything of note.

When it rains, it pours. Horrible luck, shit refereeing.
We weren’t unlucky - we are terrible at scoring goals - and creating chances.

Last season, Rashford over-achieved with 30 goals and this year he has gone back to his more typical play.

We are awful in possession - we have no idea how to break sides down. Also, no one in our midfield wants to turn and take the ball past their player. So we just pass sideways and backwards until we lose possession and put our attack out of its misery.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Speaks volumes when Rashford is being taken off when we need a goal. I think the criticism he gets is unfair, but his performances this season are starting to become a problem.
He’s paid like one of the best player in the world but is producing nothing on the pitch. If anything, his criticism isn’t enough.

Godfather

Not even mad anymore as I feel totally detached from this squad of weirdly assembled averageness. Worst it's ever been. I can't sympathize with any of them nor do I like about 80% of these guys.

What will be funny however will be the inevitable total overhaul once the bald twat gets the sack as most of these weirdos he bought won't survive the next manager. Rinse and repeat again and again and again.

As long as we don't get proper owners and a proper DoF and not these bunch of fecking amateurs nothing will change. And as long as that isn't the case I won't give much feck about these idiots out there anymore

BorisManUtd

:lol: as poor as we are, we deserved at least a point in that 2nd half. You can't blame ref or poor luck for not beating Palace at home but still..

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
If you both think Antony and Martial are the saviors of this team, then I can just applaud your commitment to staying positive.

Unfortunately, as you will find out soon enough, they won't be of any help as we continue our march towards the inevitable.
I don't think Antony is the 'saviour' of the team, I do think that he offers us something on the right we don't have in the squad.

He's better than Rashford on the right, and he's better than Pellistri too by a good margin. The only player that could get a run there who is Amad but he needs development time.

We have a new #9 in Hojlund who needs time to get used to the other players and they need to get used to him.

We have Amrabat who will keep the midfield tight with Casemiro, I think we're going to have a very good defensive record soon.

------------Onana
AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
--Casemiro Amrabat

That as a back 6 will keep games tight. Rashford isn't looking sharp but we have a good 'squad' now we just got a few players back from injury, so a little rustiness is fine. I think people are blowing up as usual.

Top 5 is all thats needed currently but we need to win a cup or two this season, a title challenge obviously won't happen.

rpitchfo

Most times we play that match we take our chances (and Palace don't score their ridiculously low percentage goal), and we win comfortably.
What are you basing that on. Even our wins this season have been really poor performances?

siw2007

Terrible result, to not even score at home is criminal. Palace defended really well but we had no cutting edge when we got the ball in the final third. I think Mount played ok but not much else to shout about.

This season is starting to spiral out of control. Maybe we get our players back in a few months but by the time they come back I doubt there will be much to salvage.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Other than Eze we’ve got naff all in attack until Olise and Franca are fit, to be honest I was fearing the worst. Very surprised by the result (but I’ll take it).

Andre Kagawa

Never thought I'd be relying on fecking Spurs to get some joy out of the weekend

suheilsworld

Feck this shit! I’ve signed out from the season. Not bothered to be back here nor involved with them games. It’s a complete shit show!

The-Mezzala

Anderson is a very good defender. Palace solid. Not the worst performance. But scoring goals is something this team struggles with carried on from last season. Should of prioritised Kane and paid silly money if its what it took. Oh well hindsight a beautiful thing. Onto the next one. Gonna be a tough season with all the injuries

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We continue to offer very little threat when teams drop deep against us. We should have gambled more with the ball much earlier in the game.

Wilt

:lol: as poor as we are, we deserved at least a point in that 2nd half. You can't blame ref or poor luck for not beating Palace at home but still..
WTF is he appealing about ….fecking had enough of Rashford

FujiVice

While technically that might be right, Hodgson and Palace didn't do anything great. They were just better than us.
That's when coaching comes into it. Put the chess pieces where you want them to actually change the shit in front of you.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
We have been a mid table team overachieving for a long time, we are no longer overachieving...

Our Transfer business has been sub standard
Our Training facilities our sub standard
Our Fitness regime is sub standard
Our Coaches are sub standard
Our Directors are sub standard
Our Owners are sub standard
Our manager is sub standard, either due to the above or being found out in a top league it could be 50/50 im not sure.

Either we get new owners or accept this reality and the pain is not as bad.
I agree with all of this except the last. ETH is quality and the only thing we have going for us right now.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Probably. It failed at all the key times but the one thing Ole's teams could do is score goals when the going was good. And also play the underdog role away from home.
We scored more points than any team in the league coming from behind back then. And more away wins too.

I can't say the same about this team -- a team that has been bought and shaped to ETH's vision.

santeria13

Sublemon
I really don't know what to make of that. There were bright passages of play, a lot of shitty braindead passages of play as well as chore-y stuff somewhere in between. Van Gaal-esque?
Nope. At least under Van Gaal we did some things well. We were just impotent and utterly boring to watch but we actually had a style of play and looked well drilled. Under Mou we also look well drilled for most of his time here.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
WTF is he appealing about ….fecking had enough of Rashford
The ball hitting the defender in the hand in the penalty area, presumably?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This was something alright, subs were next level, sub RW but leave LW and ST out there to stink even more and then move stinking LW on the RW lul . No need to comment on Bruno and Mount wombo combo.

The amount of money we waste of feckers both on transfer fees and wages in general and then you praise mention some random player and all jump in with "he aint good enough for us" line, fecking no shame.
I'm stealing this :lol:

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 207 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 39% Man Utd 2:0 Crystal Palace