PL L FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 4:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 06 May 2024

Hughie77

And now INEOS are doing the same.
Need to give these guys a chance it looks like there making changes in the back room boardroom staff I suppose that will take a bit of time.. ETH hasn't got that time.. he's a gonner..

Andy_Cole

It’s been obvious since the FA Cup final (probably earlier, maybe the 7-0 vs Liverpool) he was not up to this. So be it, he did well in the first season, give him a bit of the next season. (This was during takeover not on INEOS) But it’s been a disaster. Most clubs would’ve sacked him before Xmas. We were going through the sale okay. Then the sale happens and you’d hope they’d make their mark and make a change instantly (even Potter!), at least keep this season alive. Give the fans something to support. But no. They’re using every Glazer excuse in the book on why they’re just doing feck all. Away fans support that shite week after week because the board aren’t quick enough to make a change.

Glorio

On Sky Sports top 10 trending topics (at the bottom of the site), we feature in 8 :lol:

Result!

The Hustler

Just as well I'm in deepest Cornwall this week and can't get a decent internet streaming signal for love or money..

Maticmaker

After the first two goals went in you knew it would be a night when Tommy Doc's old saying "we were lucky to get nil" was on the cards.

Taking nothing away from the Palace players finishing, both goals from a defense point of view was 'keystone cops' stuff.
Why wasn't Amrabat in alongside Evans, in the back four with Casemiro patrolling in front? We've all heard of 'scratch teams', but last nights United line up was written in invisible ink!

Last night you could honestly believe we missed both Bruno and Maguire, but even so beginning to think ETH might actually be trying to work his ticket.

Just wondering how many of our 'injured' players will be available for the Cup Final?

r0663664

Worships Man City
Didn't watch the game but saw Jamie criticising the start of the 2nd half. Long kick up field and next thing you know it is 4-3 qith defence under pressure. Same script over and over again, how can ETH be still here? Mind boggling that anyone think he deserve to stay until FA Cup final. Glazers doesn't watch football but Ineos watch every single game, they are just as blind as Glazers. I hope United stop calling ourselves biggest club in the world. It is an absolute joke that anyone associated with this club dares to say it

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It’s been obvious since the FA Cup final (probably earlier, maybe the 7-0 vs Liverpool) he was not up to this. So be it, he did well in the first season, give him a bit of the next season. (This was during takeover not on INEOS) But it’s been a disaster. Most clubs would’ve sacked him before Xmas. We were going through the sale okay. Then the sale happens and you’d hope they’d make their mark and make a change instantly (even Potter!), at least keep this season alive. Give the fans something to support. But no. They’re using every Glazer excuse in the book on why they’re just doing feck all. Away fans support that shite week after week because the board aren’t quick enough to make a change.
I assumed I’d misunderstood as couldn’t see how anyone would lump Ratcliffe in with Glazers. But apparently I didn’t.

Glazers have been here over a decade and Ratcliffe deal completed 20/2 (so about 10-11 weeks ago) and you think he should have instantly sacked Ten Hag?

Not the way to run a club/business.

Drifter

American
What got me about this game is how much of a coward and unsure of himself he seems to be. SAF would have gone all out with aggressive players, whereas ETH added a defensive midfielder to prevent further embarrassment

Red00012

That disallowed goal was ridiculous . If it was given it was 1-1 and the game might have gone a bit better

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
What got me about this game is how much of a coward and unsure of himself he seems to be. SAF would have gone all out with aggressive players, whereas ETH added a defensive midfielder to prevent further embarrassment
No the funniest part was Glasner shouting instructions and making movement gestures at 3-0/4-0 and ETH stood their like his pupil listening.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
No the funniest part was Glasner shouting instructions and making movement gestures at 3-0/4-0 and ETH stood their like his pupil listening.
Even better was his post match interview when he claimed he was unhappy with the first half and was much happier with how the players listened to him in the second half. Makes you question how the match would have looked if they had performed up to the standard Glasner expects from his team.

Artimities

I have watched us all year and yesterday should have come as no surprise.
1) Have you noticed our players getting in the way of each other? When the ball is being kicked around and we lose possession, I initially see a good response from the player to get the ball back. The problem is I see that with 2/3 of our players at the same time. It is as if we have everybody in the area going to win the ball back, but nobody staying clear to be an outlet to receive the ball if we do win it back. So our players end up blocking each other. Its not lack of effort as much as it is lack of positioning and understanding of what is happening.
2) People say you cant use injuries as an excuse, but that is bullshite. We have had no consistantcy at all this season, particularly the back line. Just yesterday we had the following not playing due to injury.
Rashford, Bruno, Lindelof, Varane, Maguire, McTominay, Martial, Martines, Malacia and Shaw. Both Evans and Mount played injured. That is a whole team, so to say injuries dont matter is crazy. If anything it speaks to the lack of fluidity in our team and the fact that we all look lost.
3) Casemiro as CB is not working at all period.... He is awful at CB. I know he is asked to do a job, but if anything... this has highlighted a major reason we need to unload him this off season... as with a few other players.

I would look to part ways with the following:
Erickson, Wan Bissaka, Varane, Casemiro, Sancho, Greenwood (lets officially put that one behind us), Amrabat, Donny, Maguire, Martial and maybe McTominay if possible. That is a lot of players out and even with Greenwood and Sancho not really missed, its still a solid 8-9 players that really need to go.
We have a very busy off season, and brining in a new manager is not the solution. Clear the dead weight and lets bring in a new mentality.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's an absolute shambles from top to bottom. I can't wait to see what happens in the summer, I'm hoping for a proper bonfire. Anyone in this squad born before 2000 should be sold, let's start again with a young team who can grow together.

I'm actually glad we're out of Europe though, gives fewer matches and more time for coaching next season, and we can just focus on the league and improving as a team.
So our oldest player would be 24, good luck with that

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Just as well I'm in deepest Cornwall this week and can't get a decent internet streaming signal for love or money..
Try harder, my parents live in deepest Cornwall and their internet is just fine

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The worst thing about tonight is it's not even a surprise. The horror and shock of these kinds of defeats has long since subsided. How many times have we been embarrassed this season? Same s-t, different day.
This is correct.
I also expect us to lose or draw every other game we play this season. A win is near impossible at this stage.
The 'powers that be' need to decide if it is worth paying ETH off and gambling on a new interim manager now.
The issue is that there are no guarantees that a new manager will be able to get a win in any of the remaining games, to justify sacking ETH now.

Gator Nate

We have a squad problem, due to both upper mismanagement and injuries, and we have a coaching problem, in that what we might be trying to do (I will give EtH the benefit of the doubt here) is clearly not working and EtH simply refuses to adjust most games.

A lot can be done this summer towards fixing the squad, and only one thing can be done to fix the coaching problem. But the results may take another two years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We are lucky they missed those chances at the end otherwise it could have been 5/6 nil. They really had their foot on our throats in that spell
They should've put us to the sword.
The players and manager who are responsible for where we are now should be fired and moved on.
I do not believe we can go any further with this set of players and manager.

It is shocking that some people on this forum still want to hang onto ETH, especially when we know that he is likely to have us lose/draw every game going forward.

Captmfla

Well, to be fair, united got 2 goals ruled out by VAR.

Also many key players were injured.

Matthew1972

Sorry to inform you of this.

Ugh
Antony did nothing? He probably had our best effort on goal other than the disallowed goals and more than once was back in our area doing the CB's job.
Still doensn't add up to a 95 million Euro value.
I thought there would be a pattern to see that showed ETH is likely to be sacked before the next game. All I saw though is just a list of times when United sacked their manager, during the season, after a season, after a defeat, after a win, after not being able to qualify anymore for cups, after winning a cup.. Like, what's the pattern that shows he's likely to get sacked now instead of after the season LVG-style?

You asked if we can see the pattern and I couldn't. If the only pattern is we sack our manager when they aren't doing well, that's not much of a pattern, it's just how clubs tend to operate..
I thought there would be a pattern to see that showed ETH is likely to be sacked before the next game. All I saw though is just a list of times when United sacked their manager, during the season, after a season, after a defeat, after a win, after not being able to qualify anymore for cups, after winning a cup.. Like, what's the pattern that shows he's likely to get sacked now instead of after the season LVG-style?

You asked if we can see the pattern and I couldn't. If the only pattern is we sack our manager when they aren't doing well, that's not much of a pattern, it's just how clubs tend to operate with varying degrees of patience.. He hasn't been doing well for a while now.
Mostly it was to show that there had been a team low that had preceded the sacking.

lex talionis

The quality of Palace's play was remarkable and worthy of a bit more credit than has been given here. Yes it's true that United somehow make every opponent like like prime Barcelona, but the way Palace stitched their passes together and took their chances extremely well was borderline incredible.

I'm all in on flogging ETH for building a squad that cannot compete for the PL trophy, despite being given nearly a half billion quid to spend as he pleased, but what's more remarkable than United's poor play was Palace's outstanding play.

Who is this guy who now manages Palace, Oliver Glasner?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well, to be fair, united got 2 goals ruled out by VAR.

Also many key players were injured.
To be fair the second one was definitely the correct decision, the first one was crap but they always give those to the keeper

Lee565

all that money spent on our attack (hojlund, Mount, antony) but I bet most neutral fans would take palace front 3 from last night over our expensive flops

Waynne

It's an absolute shambles from top to bottom. I can't wait to see what happens in the summer, I'm hoping for a proper bonfire. Anyone in this squad born before 2000 should be sold, let's start again with a young team who can grow together.

I'm actually glad we're out of Europe though, gives fewer matches and more time for coaching next season, and we can just focus on the league and improving as a team.
Importantly the club is going through a proper reset and INEOS have made the right moves to start that process. Whether they are afforded the time to see through this process is another question.

aeh1991

I'd love to have a CF like Mateta. He might just have a purple patch but he has been on fire this season. Has got everything I wish from a CF.

The Urban Goose

Bruno, Dalot, Martinez
Good point, Martinez can stay.

I'd personally sacrifice Bruno to the "we need money for rebuilding" gods, we've had his best years and he will only start declining from here.

I'm not sold that Dalot is Utd quality so I'd be happy for him to be sacrificed to those gods too.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Good point, Martinez can stay.

I'd personally sacrifice Bruno to the "we need money for rebuilding" gods, we've had his best years and he will only start declining from here.

I'm not sold that Dalot is Utd quality so I'd be happy for him to be sacrificed to those gods too.
Dalot isn't good enough.
He has 2-3 good games and everyone starts to hype him up, which he then follows up by several very bad games. Rinse and repeat.
His only saving grace is AWB doesn't know how to play football, he's just a good athlete.

Ghirahim

I watched some of the game. It was another dire performance. Play like that against Arsenal and they will lose 5:0.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
i honestly believe Ratcliffe and co were considering letting ETH stay on next season until Monday night. Probably even more than the coventry game, this must have sealed his fate. Utter embarrassment - and that was in our good moments (the first 11 minutes)

Player Ratings

2.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 225 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 21% Crystal Palace 2:1 Man Utd
  • 14% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd