FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Derby County 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 05 March 2020

LDUred

Potential banana skin tonight but we were very professional and created chance at will.

Would've liked Rooney to score at the end but Romero simply underlined what a class act he is. Not many reserve 'keepers would have kept that out.

Pleased for Odion. Strikers getting goals early on in their time at a club is essential and he does look like he's going to score. All bodes well for the end of the season.

MonkeysMagic

Job done. Decent performance...in patches. Some second string got playtime. Good to see Ighalo get on scoresheet, will help his confidence but I'm not sure he is yet fully match fit. Clean sheet a welcome addition.

Utdstar01

Seems Greenwood is playing the derby. Worrying that as soon as Bruno isnt playing that we look like theres so structure to our play and Shaw is our most threatening player.

buckooo1978

dare I say theres something different about this United team of late

epitomised by Shaw, Fred, Mata who've all improved in the last month or so

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Common denominator? Bruno.

Made the team look good again. Early days Of course but he’s given them the confidence to play

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Easy as you like, only heartbreak was Ighalo not getting his hat trick. But I'm sure he'll have another chance this season.
If he bangs one in against the Berties, I’ll be happy

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Anyone know how many youngsters Cocu fielded for Derby in the game?

LoneStar

Seems Greenwood is playing the derby. Worrying that as soon as Bruno isnt playing that we look like theres so structure to our play and Shaw is our most threatening player.
Imagine if we sign players of Bruno's calibre this summer. 2 or 3 such signings can massively lift the whole team up.

Pjisared

Couldn’t agree more.
The appearance of Bruno is probably the main reason for a lot of the players upping there game.
Big test Sunday though.

pav1790

Looks like we are in semi at least - famous last words. Then it’s just two games that are one offs.

wolvored

Thought it was a shaky start and a couple of times Derby looked like scoring, but overall we bossed it. Shaw was MOM for me. Ighalo is starting to look the part as well. Thought it was Brunos worst game for us though.

Red_Aaron

Look at us being all professional and that.
It's almost as if we're finally in a good place as a club as a whole.
Hopefully we can finish the season strongly, an fa cup would be fantastic

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So that's nine games undefeated in all competitions, a good run by any standards. Especially considering we were without our most influential players Pogba and Rashford throughout that run.

Long may it continue.

Utdstar01

Thought it was a shaky start and a couple of times Derby looked like scoring, but overall we bossed it. Shaw was MOM for me. Ighalo is starting to look the part as well. Thought it was Brunos worst game for us though.
First half definitely but I thought he was pretty good second half. Looked like he was in 2nd gear tbh.

Okey

Job done. Professional performance. 3 goals. Clean sheet. Players stepping up all over the place - Lingard actually played quite well! Same against Norwich please. I've missed Wembley. Viva Ighalo...

Farfetched

I did find the fact we had 11 men back defending corners against a very pedestrian Derby side odd; when we clear the ball from the corner it invariably comes straight back. I think Ole needs to be a touch more adventurous and have a man up near the halfway line occupying the defenders.

wolvored

I did find the fact we had 11 men back defending corners against a very pedestrian Derby side odd; when we clear the ball from the corner it invariably comes straight back. I think Ole needs to be a touch more adventurous and have a man up near the halfway line occupying the defenders.
I have always said leave your 2 fastest players around the halfway line either side of the centre circle when defending. The opposition would have to leave 4 defenders back then to mark, so you have at best 6 of their men against 9 of yours. Plus you have 2 out balls to play.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Professional performance. We showed up, we pretty much won the game by half time and were able to ease our way home ahead of a big game on Sunday. Can't complain.

Good to see the new signings play well and other players, like Shaw, step up a little bit more.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Majority of team rested and we still won = serious success. Rotation has been a problem all year but thankfully we got a solid win and can now go back to OT and really give it our all against the blue cnuts

Twisted Nerve

Good to see Iggy pop a couple in. The power he got on the shot for his second as he was slightly backpedalling

Hoof the ball

So, in the last 3-4 games there's been some definite improvement in the offensive structure of our attacks. Shaw is overlapping and underlapping in channels, Fred and McTominay are actively playing balls through lines in the centre. The AM's are looking to receive and run through the middle rather than looking for the easy lay off to the wing. There's a lot more rotation in the wings. This is the most vital thing right now. Yes, we want results, but at least now there's an identifiable pattern of play.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Decent performance with the players not really having to exert themselves. Still would have preferred we rest Fred and I'm disappointed we didn't give any youngsters a shot.

NiceGuyEddie

Apart from the sloppy start and both Chuckle Brothers finishing the game, very pleased with that performance. Ighalo hat-trick would have been the icing on the cake, but I'm sure that will come.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We won which was good.

However, we played our key players against a low-level opposition and tired ourselves out needlessly ahead of crucial fixtures which might prove critical to our season. The same thing happened towards the end of 2019 where we got loads of injuries and everyone was talking about 'bad luck'. It's not bad luck though, it's poor management.

And for anyone that starts telling me to be positive, we have enough of those Ole lovers around.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
We won which was good.

However, we played our key players against a low-level opposition and tired ourselves out needlessly ahead of crucial fixtures which might prove critical to our season. The same thing happened towards the end of 2019 where we got loads of injuries and everyone was talking about 'bad luck'. It's not bad luck though, it's poor management.

And for anyone that starts telling me to be positive, we have enough of those Ole lovers around.
Another win in our undefeated run. Top work Ole and the lads. You can go cry yourself to sleep now. Enjoy.

Ludens the Red

We won which was good.

I mean I like a whinge but this is just such a weird outlook on things. Not only because it’s kind of inaccurate (degea, Maguire, Matic, Martial, Bruno, Fred, Wan Bissaka ) all either didn’t play or only played a part on top of it being a relatively easy game to play in, plus we won 3-0, no injuries, I don’t really understand your thought process.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We won which was good.

Do we feck! This place is miserable as hell!

theklr

I mean I like a whinge but this is just such a weird outlook on things. Not only because it’s kind of inaccurate (degea, Maguire, Matic, Martial, Bruno, Fred, Wan Bissaka ) all either didn’t play or only played a part on top of it being a relatively easy game to play in, plus we won 3-0, no injuries, I don’t really understand your thought process.
Bruno and Fred didnt get enough rest in my eyes, and Shaw played almost the whole game.

This is almost the same situation we had against Brugges, and most players were visibly tired in the second half of the Everton game.

Its good to win, but its Derby ffs. Ole need to sub them out much faster.

Fitchett

That was a good, solid professional job. We're on a good run and there's a good spirit in the team. Looking good!

Kentish

FA Cup & Europa League win with a 4th places finish pleaseeeee

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Bruno and Fred didnt get enough rest in my eyes, and Shaw played almost the whole game.

This is almost the same situation we had against Brugges, and most players were visibly tired in the second half of the Everton game.

Its good to win, but its Derby ffs. Ole need to sub them out much faster.
Oh please. You'd be the first man on to call for his head if we didn't beat them. Give it a rest.

montpelier

We look like scoring past defences not just when we're on the break.

Man of the Match

Luke Shaw image Luke Shaw 62% of 255 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 243 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Derby win
  • Draw