PL W FA Premier League

Everton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 17 October 2015

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I watched the whole match on a stream at work.

How did we play the second half? I had an eye on it, but can't really follow fully. It seemed we either took our foot off the gas as we were 2-0 up, or did Everton just get a better foothold in the game

mu77

Anders was awesome , smalling played really well , and rooney had a good 2nd half.

Shiva87

His credentials are not in question, the question is? playing the best balanced team that could win us a league title

I think the spine of the team I feel is very important for any team, I think we all have an indication what the spine is, but VG not sure he knows the full spine, especially in the engine room. I think he knows that DDG, smalling and rooney are part of the spine, but the CB, and the 3 in midfield is still questionable.

I think the potential spine could be what we saw on Saturday
DDG
smalling jones or blind
bastian morgan
herrera
rooney

That could be our spine, but we will see from the coming weeks. I think its crucial he plays almost the same team that picked off everton against city, because that team could run the legs off city in terms of the football and matching them on the field
Again, I don't disagree with that. I want to see that spine. But I really don't think that its as simple in each game. And, for all the experimentation, LVG has been getting it right most of the times. When it doesn't come off - like Arsenal - its bad, but we have generally been good this season.

There is a clear pattern emerging - he wanted to start the season solidly. He mentioned a number of times in pre-season that its important we don't lose so many games in the start. We can't be 13 points from 11 games. Therefore, the team was set up to be conservative on the ball, and very rigid positionally.

After Martial's impact, he allowed the team more freedom/expression - as he probably thought that the confidence is there in the team to take on Arsenal on the passing game - and it really did backfire.

If this upward swing continues till December and we are in the top 2, then we'll probably see the football that he was so famous for before he came to United - i.e. the telepathic Ajax side which swept most teams away swiftly.

ghagua

Great game from United. Still want to see Martial up top with Herrera behind him. He is not as big a threat from out wide, even though he played well yesterday. Hopefully Memphis can sort himself out soon so we don't have to continue to play Martial wide.

Oneunited26

Again, I don't disagree with that. I want to see that spine. But I really don't think that its as simple in each game. And, for all the experimentation, LVG has been getting it right most of the times. When it doesn't come off - like Arsenal - its bad, but we have generally been good this season.

There is a clear pattern emerging - he wanted to start the season solidly. He mentioned a number of times in pre-season that its important we don't lose so many games in the start. We can't be 13 points from 11 games. Therefore, the team was set up to be conservative on the ball, and very rigid positionally.

After Martial's impact, he allowed the team more freedom/expression - as he probably thought that the confidence is there in the team to take on Arsenal on the passing game - and it really did backfire.

If this upward swing continues till December and we are in the top 2, then we'll probably see the football that he was so famous for before he came to United - i.e. the telepathic Ajax side which swept most teams away swiftly.
On the arsenal game, I just think VG played a team with very little legs to keep up the passing route, VG never mixed up the experience with younger players, having carrick, bastian mata and rooney in one team really did kill us.

All I want from VG next week, play almost the same team, with maybe blind replacing jones. Because I really think a midfield of bastian, morgan, herrera, mata and Martial could ruin city. I always say about city, they cannot handle the European style of teams, the possession teams who can press city will be all over the place. We done this to them last season, we played a possession based game with pressing from mata, fellaini, herrera young and rooney, and we destroyed them with the passing, possession and pressing. We play the same team from yesterday I think we can beat them, because we have the talent to match them, we just not found the right formula yet

Tyrion

Lol, yeah. I constantly rewatch this episode:
Mainly for 7:25 - 8:18, his reaction to Rhodes' three shots makes me laugh every time. :lol: The whole episode is so funny though. The game is totally against him. :lol:
I watched episode 10. His response to losing games because of "scripting" was "what can I do?! I'm just a cnut with a controller." :lol:

Will Absolute

Anders was awesome , smalling played really well , and rooney had a good 2nd half.
Rooney had perhaps three good moments in the game: finding Martial on the edge of the penalty area in the first half; a boosted pass to the right wing in the second; and the goal.

Apart from that, he was a black hole into which half our attacks disappeared. I've rarely seen a player pass to the opposition with such consistency. Even with our limited attacking options, there's no way to justify keeping him in the side unless he improves.

carlosp

The world we live in where a big bearded Geordie on YouTube talks more sense than football journalists for national newspapers. :lol:
Bwhahawha, he made me laugh. Brilliant analysis though, spot on regarding Herrera, Smalling, Rooney and the subs and regarding Memphis. Really impressed. Will need to check out his other game analysis.

You need to see him start his video of Newcastle winning this weekend. Incredibly funny. :lol:

Last edited:

Tyrion

Bwhahawha, he made me laugh. Brilliant analysis though, spot on regarding Herrera, Smalling, Rooney and the subs and regarding Memphis. Really impressed. Will need to check out his other game analysis.

You need to see him start his video of Newcastle winning this weekend. Incredibly funny. :lol:
I just watched it. :lol:

marlowe78

Well, that came to me as a complete surprise. Not because we won but I was expecting Everton to be much more up for it than they were. I thought Lukaku and Barclay would be a threat but outside of a 10-minute stretch at the beginning of the 2nd half, Everton really created nothing. Goodison also seemed to be very quiet from the off, as our away support could be heard very distinctly on the broadcast. I would need someone who was at the game to verify that, however.

Apart from the home side being poor, we were completely ready for this and clinical. Our backline was solid. The 3-man midfield with Herrera, Schweinsteiger, and Schneiderlin is easily our best formation and IMO it's been quite obvious for some time. Schneiderlin had his best game with the club and was MOTM for me, though Herrera makes an obvious case for it.

Martial was again very good but I honestly don't care for him as a winger. I think he is too confined playing on the wing and needs to be given more room centrally where he can make runs and open teams up through the middle. Still, he is a great option in place of Memphis, who needs to improve. Rooney made a great finish as well and he can hopefully get himself into some form. He seems to be making better runs for some reason and I'm wondering if he's dealt with an injury.

I am intrigued with playing Lingard on the right. We've complained about not having enough quickness on the right with Mata there and Lingard appears to offer some of that. Mata, of course, would have to be moved to 10 if Lingard were to play and 10 is already taken up by Herrera and Rooney whenever he is playing poorly somewhere else. I ask, though, if Lingard might be the missing wing player we need, at least temporarily.

Anyway, I can't have any complaints about yesterday. I would give the performance 8/10.

Ryan7

:lol:
I've never seen them before. I watched the video you posted and I'm going to watch the whole series now so if I fail my 4th year of college, it's on you. :lol:
The whole Blackburn career mode is fantastic. So much goes against him. :lol: If you fail, at least you will of laughed like never before. ;) Good luck seriously though.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't see so much of this game - a couple of questions:

Why was Mata taken off?

How much of a positive effect did we gain by not playing Depay? (not to bash him - but because clearly based on the evidence he hasn't been good enough for us).

ants7

Just going through MOTD. Since I saw the game on mobile and with breaks, I didn't realize how good was Martial at tracking back and keeping Coleman on his pocket.

Anyway, very satisfying and unexpected win and performance. Let's keep it up!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Why was Mata taken off?

How much of a positive effect did we gain by not playing Depay? (not to bash him - but because clearly based on the evidence he hasn't been good enough for us).
LvG said the Mata sub was tactical but didnt explain any further than that - probably sees Lingard as a more defensive wide option and was looking to shut down the game at that point

Martial worked a lot harder for the team in tracking back than Memphis

Wouldnt actually say we were so great in this game but we took our chances well and scored at the perfect times

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
LvG said the Mata sub was tactical but didnt explain any further than that - probably sees Lingard as a more defensive wide option and was looking to shut down the game at that point

Wouldnt actually say we were so great in this game but we took our chances well and scored at the perfect times
Cheers for that.

Interesting that Lingaard get's his first game coming on as a tactical sub for one of our better players this year.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca

Eh? That was a dominant performance in one of our most difficult away matches of recent years.

Don't get it :confused:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Eh? That was a dominant performance in one of our most difficult away matches of recent years.

Some people will be glass half empty people. Get used to it. I can be like that myself. However I was really impressed with the lads. It is always a hard game and the death of Howard Kendall being announced just before the game could have made it even worse.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Some people will be glass half empty people. Get used to it. I can be like that myself. However I was really impressed with the lads. It is always a hard game and the death of Howard Kendall being announced just before the game could have made it even worse.
Well Im actually always the glass half full one!

I just thought Everton were surprisingly poor on the day, perhaps the Howard Kendall announcement affected them negatively.

Anyway I didnt say we were bad or anything, just not as great as some seem to make out and the scoreline flattered us - Herrera was class though and the defence did well to deal with Lukaku. Despite the goal I thought Rooney was still pretty crap as he lost possesion a lot and should have done better a couple of other times he was clear through.
Either way its a great confidence boost with the derby coming up.

Shark

@NotShark
Well Im actually always the glass half full one!

I just thought Everton were surprisingly poor on the day, perhaps the Howard Kendall announcement affected them negatively.

Anyway I didnt say we were bad or anything, just not as great as some seem to make out and the scoreline flattered us - Herrera was class though and the defence did well to deal with Lukaku. Despite the goal I thought Rooney was still pretty crap as he lost possesion a lot and should have done better a couple of other times he was clear through.
Either way its a great confidence boost with the derby coming up.
The scoreline didn't flatter us at all. In fact, we were unlucky to not have scored more. Bizarre comment.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The scoreline didn't flatter us at all. In fact, we were unlucky to not have scored more. Bizarre comment.
I really meant the halftime scoreline of 2-0, we basically scored with our first 2 shots on target (maybe Herrera had one long range effort as well) - after halftime Everton are chasing so creating chances is a given

Shark

@NotShark
I really meant the halftime scoreline of 2-0, we basically scored with our first 2 shots on target (maybe Herrera had one long range effort as well) - after halftime Everton are chasing so creating chances is a given
That's called taking your chances. Had Morgan over hit his chance over the bar and Herrera fecked up his header, most would be fuming. Both chances were clinically taken though, which is how any top team should go about business. We also deserved both goals, it's not as if we were playing rubbish and scored two out of nowhere.

Everton didn't have many chances in the 2nd half.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
That's called taking your chances. Had Morgan over hit his chance over the bar and Herrera fecked up his header, most would be fuming. Both chances were clinically taken though, which is how any top team should go about business. We also deserved both goals, it's not as if we were playing rubbish and scored two out oif nowhere.
ye I did already say that we took our chances well and that is generally our way nowadays, we dont create as much as we used to but are more clinical in converting opportunities.

Shark

@NotShark
ye I did already say that we took our chances well and that is generally our way nowadays, we dont create as much as we used to but are more clinical in converting opportunities.
We don't create enough generally, but I thought we could have scored at least two more on Saturday. Martial in particular created a lot of chances. That pass to Rooney for instance, which should have been converted. Lingard too.

kundalini

I watched the whole match on a stream at work.

How did we play the second half? I had an eye on it, but can't really follow fully. It seemed we either took our foot off the gas as we were 2-0 up, or did Everton just get a better foothold in the game
Early part of 2nd half was all Everton due to a combination of sloppy play on our part, ref giving them a few decisions that were touch and go, and some decent play by Everton. We sat quite deep for us but had some difficulty getting out, as players sometimes chose poor options or failed to execute straight-forward passes. Having said that, our defending was pretty good most of the time.

De Gea made a key save with his left foot from Lukaku. Herrera nowhere near as influential in the 2nd half, though he did assist Rooney's goal after Schneiderlin had done well to intercept Jagielka's pass. Thought Lingard played well, much better than Mata had done in the first. Barkley had several attempts for them, while Martial had a couple of ridiculous runs. Rooney wasted a big chance when put through by Martial, appearing to lose momentum as he entered their box before his attempt was saved.

Last edited:

kundalini

Why was Mata taken off?

In the first half Mata's defensive efforts were miserable to say the least. Several times he either failed to track or was out-muscled without putting in much of an attempt. He was also guilty of giving the ball away fairly close to our box. His passing stats looked decent but I didn't notice him do much other than retain possession. Given the score-line, it seemed a sensible decision to take him off. Lingard is clearly a very different type of player but in this instance I thought he was a big improvement.

The Depay question is complicated because it involves both Rooney and Martial too. Martial tracked Coleman reasonably well though he did lose concentration one time; Coleman was not as influential as you would have expected had Memphis been playing. Personally I think Martial offers more of a threat as our central striker than Rooney, though Wayne performed better than he has done in most games this season. In the last 20 mins Martial was on fire though Everton might have given up by then.

From an attacking perspective it is not clear-cut to me that Martial (left) + Rooney (central striker) is superior to say Memphis (left) + Martial (central). Recently Memphis has looked jaded so resting him seems a sensible decision. His overall attacking contribution 8 goals + assists, doesn't seem too bad when compared to Mata's 10, Rooney's 7, Herrera's 6, Martial's 5.

Last edited:

Tyrion

The whole Blackburn career mode is fantastic. So much goes against him. :lol: If you fail, at least you will of laughed like never before. ;) Good luck seriously though.
Thanks mate. I've already watched all 15 so it won't be any excuse. :lol:

dsch

There's a great, detailed post on Reddit about our tactics in this match. It's illustrated with video clips and everything.

We seem to favor a line-of-press approach, with the line just in front of the center circle Herrera reined back by Rooney. LvG must have really drilled the team well in this regard. Notice how Rooney (and Herrera) commands the press, signaling players around him to stay disciplined and focused. In his post match press conference, LvG said “he [Rooney] has to do his job when we are in a defensive organization”, referring to precisely this.
The line-of-press was pretty much fixed there for most of the game, but dropped after Carrick was introduced (73’). Remember that a lower line-of-press means that the team is “claiming” a smaller territory, which results in less energy expended in defending that smaller area.
The attacking play itself involved a long ball to Lukaku who would bring the ball down for Naismith. Out of the many instances in the first half, I've highlighted this play and this one
In the first instance where this variation appears, we can see how much space Naismith has to turn. Here the variation is executed perfectly (notice Barry’s first time pass), but Naismith goes for a ball that is not his to receive.Here Barry is ready for the play, but he doesn’t have the space for it, and so Barkley chooses a safer pass. By this time United (LvG) have figured out the variation, and we can see Herrera pressing harder to constrict Barry’s space.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In the closing stages of the game, when Carrick got on the pitch, I think we should switch Rooney and Martial. I find it rather weird it was Rooney up top, around the middle line, waiting for long ball, while Martial was playing deeper. It should be the other way around.

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 812 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Everton 1:1 Man Utd