PL W FA Premier League

Everton 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Mon, 01 January 2018

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Really good win and probably our best play for a very long time for the first 25 mins of the second half.

No Lukaku.....

Bogga

First 15 minutes of the second half was a joy to behold... more of that please! :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Thank God we won.
We scored 2 and better still did not concede any silly goals.
And Lingard was terrific.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Very pleasing performance. Pogba needs 2 midfielders to be free. Fluid and quick. More of the same please.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Woke up and turned things around a bit in the 2nd half. Nothing to start getting excited about yet though.

Two lovely goals.

Kapardin

Shite first half, great second half.

We are a Jekyll and Hyde team. There are still some issues with our attackers, and they don't often get into good positions. But Pogba and Mata took the game by the scruff of the neck, and Martial and Lingard finished well.

Martial should be our first choice CF and Lukaku should be on the bench. We are more fluid with Martial, he is like a discount Morata. But of course, Lukaku won't be benched.

Herrera was also quite capable today. Solid enough.

U99ted

Need to keep it up, no slumping back to the garbage of the first half or the last couple of weeks please.

Flying_Heckfish

Lovely interplay and fluidity. Looks like Lukaku being missing has forced him to actually think about the formation and it has worked really well.

redom

Good performance considering the short turn around, admittedly helped by Everton being garbage for large portions of the game. Wasn't confident going into the game so it was nice to see something resembling a reaction from the team and hopefully something we can build on.

edgecutter

Just one big difference in the second half compared to the first, width. We actually stretched their defence and began to make openings.

One big question, where the feck was that against a poor Saints?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That was a big win for us. You could see the confidence flow back after we got our tails up. That should stand us in good stead going forward.

It’s not scientific but my eyes tell me a three man midfield works best for us. Today again we looked much better with three out there than with just too. Dunno why we don’t play 433 every game.

Nick7

We played well. Good movement up front and two good goals. Still isn't fully clicking but we played well. Eve in the first half. Although you wouldn't know that from the moaning on here.

Lingard is becoming a super and very important player. His movement and willingness to try at any opportunity opens up chances and spaces that few others in our team can create.

Everton truly are becoming a big Sam side, filthy. Ref bottled it for about 15 minutes there allowing them to get away with anything.

Finally lovely to see Pogba stand up against Holgate after that tackle.

siw2007

Much needed 3 points in what was supposed to be a very difficult game. First half was a bit average but the second was extremely good at times. The football was great and Pogba was instrumental.

kudiak

Supports
Semen Padang FC
Good display in second half.

Pogba was outstanding in the left today.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Good second half, but honestly I don't think the overall performance was that much better than performances in our recent disappointing results. The difference is 2 great finishes today.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Main difference wasn't 4-3-3 or even Lukaku being out, the main factor was, probably because Everton don't press, we passed the ball slowly and surely on the pitch.

Last edited:

cyril C

A win and a half decent performance... :houllier:
Come on, that was more than half decent. 1st half we were poor on long cross but already offering a glimpse of beauty, which was repeated and amplify in 2nd half. Without Lukaku we lost the target man but have to say the combo of Lingered + Martial + Mata offered something completely different. Our final 3rd was much more fluid and unpredictable. Perhaps the guilty part of Lukaku system was the predictability in the final 3rd. Movement and running, brought out the best of Mata, something that I have not seen since he JOINED us! We still lack composure when under direct threat but Jones return was much appreciated.

Reactions: KM

squidoo

Wasn't just his goal....Jesse great again and integral to getting the best out of Pogba.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Awful 1st half.

Brilliant 2nd half with a slight dip halfway.

Pogba was real class today

wolvored

A proper game of 2 halves. Pogba finally found out how to play again, and 2 terrific goals. 5/10 first half 7.5/10 second. Tuanzebe MOM lol

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Excellent second half. Shaw was pretty good. Pogba was a beast. Jesse making that position his own.

Pity we drew that last three.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Terrible first half. Very good second.
I disagree.
The later half of the first half was edge of the seat stuff. Both teams were attacking and it was probably the best match I've seen in a long time.

If people did not enjoy that match, I honestly believe that football is perhaps not the sport for them.

Unmutual

Promising formation today. If you had that midfield three but with a classy passer in place of Hererra i think that could really work.

vidic blood & sand

Good win away to Everton with two cracking goals.
Surprisingly easy as well. Lingard continuing to impress.

Mal donaghy

Well Jesse lingard keeps serving me up large servings of humble pie!! And I’m loving it, the kid can play

Pyro19

So this is how we play if we don't have anybody to hoof it up to.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Good game.

Pogba MOTM, although I thought Matic was a bit sloppy which was disappointing.

Happy to see Lingard score again, he's in great form.

Camilo

When we were on it we looked great - probably for only 15 minutes or so, but we controlled a good chunk of the game outside that. Pogba further forward was so much better - having the extra body of Herrera just gave us control. Shaw was great too. Martial did ok up front, no worse than Lukaku, and Mata/Lingard dropped in and around, making a pest of themselves. No control when we dropped deep though - I just don't see why we do that.

But loads better.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 81% of 753 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 529 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win