PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:1 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sun, 15 December 2019

IrishRedDevil

I really don’t think we’re that far off, this place goes in to complete meltdown if we ever don’t win. I’d be worried if we were playing like Arsenal.

Our team is young and lacks experience, errors need to be ironed out and we need to find a way to unlock a few defence. We’re not a calamity team though, for the most part we’re fairly good. Guys stick with it, we’ll get there.
Arsenal are absolutely horrible, a total mess. We are only 3 points ahead of them.

JohnnyKills

I really don’t think we’re that far off, this place goes in to complete meltdown if we ever don’t win. I’d be worried if we were playing like Arsenal.

Our team is young and lacks experience, errors need to be ironed out and we need to find a way to unlock a few defence. We’re not a calamity team though, for the most part we’re fairly good. Guys stick with it, we’ll get there.
Agree. People are allowed to criticize but we're playing well.

OldPop

Disappointing result really, but nothing we haven't come to expect from a young inexperienced team. Posters moan about almost every player within the team, but where you have inexperience, you will get these fluctuations in form. We still probably need a Vidic type of player in central defence (Koulibaly?) definitely a solid midfield player (Can?), a creative midfielder (Maddison/Fernandes/Odegaard?)and a striker who can poach goals from anywhere in the box (Haaland). I think we may well pinch a top four spot, but we seriously need to strengthen in January. I support Manchester United whoever plays for them, Jones, Shaw, Rojo, Fred, Baillie Lingard, Mata even Matic. They all play for the club I have followed for 50 + years, and even though I sometimes don't agree with the team that is picked (even Fergie's teams), I will support them and hope they win. I stopped watching United under Van Gaal (some of most uninspiring, dull boring football I had ever seen) and also under Jose towards the end of his tenure, but I understand that Ole is trying to get United back to the free flowing attacking football that many supporters remember from the past, this will take time, and a change of personnel, so give Ole the time to get the players he wants, and get them playing, then judge him on those results. Too many fickle fans on here though.
Agree with you to 100%, doing what Ole is trying to do, and done well this far, takes time. Then two half seasons and a transfer window are not enough. I don't think the haters here understand that, they demand quick solutions that aren't realistic and their patience is frighteningly short.

RedAlways78

Not a great result today but look at the spurs and city results there is hope.

Top 4 is not looking that far off.

Chelsea and Arsenal are terrible. Spurs are slightly better. There’s no point even talking about the top 3.

Green_Red

Football teams are made in their managers image and this everton side is definitely a fighting team, hard to beat, dogged.

Rashford with another quality freekick. De Gea fouled in the goal, should never have been allowed, but apparently you can put your arms in the keepers face now. Some good movement on show. McT had a couple of good passes. Greenwood is quality, rwally hope he keeps developing.

Hard game, dont think this everton side under Ferguson is the same team under the previous manager.

Two points lost. Unlucky OG. Move on to the next game.

Alexit

Agree. People are allowed to criticize but we're playing well.
Agreed, we can't win every game. The information age can become tiring with the constant picking at every detail. Two weeks ago it was peachy, now it's time for Ole to get sacked again?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
We just lacked any creativity. We still struggle to break teams down unless it's on the counter. We need a creative player who can play dangerous passes and unlock teams. Right now we don't have a single one.

croadyman

We just lacked any creativity. We still struggle to break teams down unless it's on the counter. We need a creative player who can play dangerous passes and unlock teams. Right now we don't have a single one.
Yeah surely Ole has realised he simply has to sign a creative midfielder in January because we haven't got anyone other than Pogba who can break the lines with incisive passes. No point in talking about the likes of Sancho & Saul if we cannot get into the champions league next season

The result today felt very much like when we beat City two seasons ago only to lose at home to WBA the following week, difference being that we managed to take a point today but still left with that feeling of failing to capitalise on two big results.

I agree with many that say Everton's goal probably shouldn't have stood, however I am not going to blame that on us dropping two points, we should have been more vocal about the decision at the time not just accepted it and moved on.

Last edited:

Member 113277

Progress is slow, but it's of the right kind. We do look fairly terrible at times, but that is inconsistency from young players and being short in MF.

Everton goal today does occasionally get allowed, and I can see why VAR didn't want to do anything. And there is the Oliver factor too.

I thought a draw was fair today.

Very good signings still needed.
This is a good point - add in 2-3 good players and this team will look very different.

Listar

Note to ole: please coach Maguire and Lindelof to be quicker on the ball. Stop bringing it to halfway line and then pass to each other. Better just get it straight to McTominay or Lingard when they receive it from the goalkeeper.

Can't blame VAR much for the draw. We should've done better up front but Martial and Rashford seemed bit drained off everything. There were some positives to take from yesterday but overall it was disappointing not getting three points considering Evertons amputated team.

MuranoLover

One month ago, we would lose 0-1 or 1-2 after equalising, so I am happy. We just need to push more in the final minutes, but I do not know if we have the physical strength to do it.

pacifictheme

If De Gea had been more committed to collecting the ball, I’m sure the punch in the face would have been given as a foul. The problem was he no where the ball when he was fouled. I don’t know what he was trying to do, he turned away from the ball.
In this world no where means actually touching the ball.

zenith

There has been some progress. When we went down to a freak goal, the team kept fighting and got level and continued trying but just didn't find a way to knock the door down. Though we were dominant and not as passive as we have been before.

We are just a little short on quality right now. The team needs pogba back, competition to martial and RW to have enough options and quality to go on consistent winning runs. But we are not that far.

Besides, never doubt the power of a managerial bounce.

Andrew Richmond

I have long followed the Red Cafe without feeling the urge to get on board and express my opinions.

The result against Everton was another disappointing one.

I don’t blame Ole where we are currently because the reality is we are mediocre at best and have little real quality and few if any world world class players.

Personally I think we are best served going forward sticking with OGS and backing him in the next two to three transfer windows.

This is not a short term fix to return us to where we should be because we really need to bring in half a dozen quality players because two or three just isn’t going to do the job.

The majority of our current first choice players are squad players and that is a fact whether we like it or not.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Good penetrative direct passes. Martial was hot and cold. James was direct and explossive, decision making could be better. That will come with experience. Greenword injected some variety to the play. General Movements were nice to see. Unlucky there. Still need a top striker for both depth and competition. Ah well.. On to the next game. Its good to be hopeful again. Onwards

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
And one more thing sometimes we tend to hit a cul de sacs. A playmaker at the middle who can receive the ball and switch plays to opposite side will be able to smooth out our attacking outlets will really improve our conversion rate. Wonder pogba still up for it?

DoomSlayer

I've analysed the game after cooling down and the fact is we should have won comfortably. That Lingard miss in the first 20 seconds is unforgivable, we would have demolished them had he scored.

We desperately lack a number 10, striker or RW who can control the game in attack, create chances, go past people. Haaland would be great as he will benefit a lot from James' crossing in the box, but we would still need a competent number 10, if Pogba is going to leave. Individual mistakes are what is actually costing us this season, some players are not able to cope with the pressure and stay 100% focused for the whole 90 minutes.

DSG

Lingard.... what a miss. It’s why he is and always will be a squad player for us. He’s what, 25, 26? His work rate has always been great, he’s constantly moving, but champions put that chance in the back of the net. Not good enough to play 10 for us. It’s that simple.

The Ole Out crew would say it was tactics that caused us to drop the 2 points. No. Not enough talent in certain positions will kill you in this league. Lingard failing to put away that easy chance, it’s the difference between CL and Europa. No manager can overcome that kind of wastefulness in front of goal.

Dr Fink

Seems like there were two issues against Everton. One: they didn’t seem as fired up as last week (surprise surprise) and two: still no idea how to breakdown defensive teams. Everton were on the bones of their *rse, with a full back holding in midfield.

I was massively disappointed in the manner of the draw. A lack of quality in the final third. Everton gave the worst performance of a any team at OT this season.

GBBQ

If someone said offered you 7 points from the last 3 matches you'd have taken the hand and all off them. Its just you'd never have expected Everton to be the team that would hold us to a draw! Its not the end of the world by any means but we need to get back to winning ways and get 15 points from 15 before we face Liverpool again.

sugar_kane

Really happy to see all the level headed opinions on this thread, the Cafe was becoming a seriously depressing and annoying place a month or so ago.

tonnas

yet again Ole is totally found out to be tactically inept vs defensive sides, 11 points out of 33 is a disgrace.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
How Man Utd solving No10 crisis will give them a Plan B when their counter-attacking football fails
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10558814/manchester-united-no10-crisis/

Higginbottom doesnt think Lingard was suited for yesterday's type of match. Without a proper 10, we need flying full-backs.

Plus doesnt think Pogba is a 10. Needs to play deeper.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
How Man Utd solving No10 crisis will give them a Plan B when their counter-attacking football fails

Higginbottom doesnt think Lingard was suited for yesterday's type of match. Without a proper 10, we need flying full-backs.

This is understood. The times we deployed him behind the striker, he was on tighter space and had a rough time to cope with it. He's a player that starts better on progressive attacking rather than being the 1st receiving end.

EireRed_GS

If yesterday wasnt a massive screaming sign we need a creative AMF, i dont know what is.

that big area between the centre circle and the edge of the D of their box, its just anonymous. we have nothing in there. We never play the ball through this area. I sit behind directly the goal and you get a good view of our positional play and the structure going forward. We just seem to play the ball in a big arc shape around this big square area, from Fred & Scott deep in MF around centre circle, out wide to james/rashford, back in deep to the centre, sometimes back as far as Maguire, then back out wide to AWB/Shaw/James. Martial just a bit isolated at the other side of this area.

We have no one willing to get the ball in MF and drive into that danger area toward the opposition D. someone in the mould/style of Lamaprd/Gerrard/early scholes. We just have Lingard running about like a headless chicken from side to side. Hes good and chasing players down but when the ball is played to him its always seems like hes caught in a 50/50 and loses the ball, way to often. Mata plays this position, but unfortunately hes a step behind everyone else now in the faster paced games

sglowrider

If yesterday wasnt a massive screaming sign we need a creative AMF, i dont know what is.

that big area between the centre circle and the edge of the D of their box, its just anonymous. we have nothing in there. We never play the ball through this area. I sit behind directly the goal and you get a good view of our positional play and the structure going forward. We just seem to play the ball in a big arc shape around this big square area, from Fred & Scott deep in MF around centre circle, out wide to james/rashford, back in deep to the centre, sometimes back as far as Maguire, then back out wide to AWB/Shaw/James. Martial just a bit isolated at the other side of this area.

We have no one willing to get the ball in MF and drive into that danger area toward the opposition D. someone in the mould/style of Lamaprd/Gerrard/early scholes. We just have Lingard running about like a headless chicken from side to side. Hes good and chasing players down but when the ball is played to him its always seems like hes caught in a 50/50 and loses the ball, way to often. Mata plays this position, but unfortunately hes a step behind everyone else now in the faster paced games
This is why I see Haaland potentially coming only in the Summer. We need a 10 or AMF more desperately this Jan.

EireRed_GS

This is why I see Haaland potentially coming only in the Summer. We need a 10 or AMF more desperately this Jan.
Haaland is an out and out striker is he not though? Still leaves a big hole in the MF to feed him the ball. id love us to get Haaland, a nice replacement for Lukaku. But we still absolutely need a good playmaker in that no10 role. Bruno Fernandes would have been ideal, but i cant see that happening now

sglowrider

Haaland is an out and out striker is he not though? Still leaves a big hole in the MF to feed him the ball. id love us to get Haaland, a nice replacement for Lukaku. But we still absolutely need a good playmaker in that no10 role. Bruno Fernandes would have been ideal, but i cant see that happening now
Some of his ilk at least otherwise we get into the territory of the definition of insanity. I suspect they expected Mata's legs to have held out for another season (thus the contract extension) or Perriera to have stepped up massively.

OleTheGreat

If only Lingard had scored in the first minute things would've been so different. We would've put 3 or 4 past them and be so much closer to Chelsea in the table but we caved and played such a dull game of football. We couldn't get the job done and i think this negative mentality will persist until the next PL game but i have a good feeling for the games up coming because i cannot wait for Pogba to take Lingard's place in the starting XI and just open up defenses. It's gonna be a great ride from here on in.

BigLebowski007

I believe this game showed exactly where we lack the quality. A creative AMC is a must (hoping Pogba can play that when he gets back).
As much as I like James for his speed and workrate he still lacks the end product. His shooting and final passes are often poor. So we could use another option on right wing.
And when Martial struggles we don't have an alternative option. Haaland would be a great addition.
Fred and McT have formed a great partnership in the middle. But as soon as 1 of them is missing, our midfield falls apart.

Not sure what Ole's plans are with Greenwood for this season and if he is trying to not put him under too much pressure. But every time he plays he is great and he can cover both right winger and striker positions.
And when Pogba returns he can help either as cover for midfield or as AMC together with McT and Fred. But even after he returns we'll still be short in midfield. So a creative MC/AMC is our first priority in my opinion.
And Haaland as a different option up front the second.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I'm still gutted about that result last night.

Wish I could say I was surprised too though.

Is it a motivation thing? A coaching thing? A mentality thing? A tactics thing? I don't know, but Ole needs to address the issue we have when it comes to beating teams who sit back.

I know we need more players, but the team that played yesterday should have beaten this Everton side at home.

No point us beating the big boys if we can't do the job elsewhere.

cyril C

It was an improvement from the Villa draw and the earlier ones, at least we had created many chances. Martial didn't show up, Rashford seemed to be making all the wrong decisions in 1 day, all relying on James to put it away but his finishing failed him. I guess we have to wait until Greenwood to mature say in 3-4 years time before we have a prolific striker....

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Their goal was definitely a foul in today's game. De Gea was at fault in two ways though. One - he came towards the ball with very little conviction. It was almost cowardly. As Gary Neville said, it was like something he would have done back when he first signed for us. Really poor to come for a ball like that as a Premier League keeper. But the second mistake he made was not going to ground and exaggerating the foul more. He stayed on his feet which made the ref (and probably the idiots at Stockley Park) think it wasn't so bad. If he goes to ground and appeals for the foul, for me he gets it and we stay at 0-0. Albeit it would have been a let off for him and the whole team.

Craig Ward

To be fair, Lingard rarely suited to any game, he has spells of looking half decent, but overall he's proven to be sub standard.

We would be a completely different, more dangerous team with a top quality #10.

Our full backs havent really been an attacking threat for 5 seasons or so....so same old story there.

Pogba isnt the answer for our #10 and he's proven he cant be a constant performer in a deeper role as a midfield 2. I hope we dont change our formation to accommodate him again cos it wont work.

Pogba as our #10 until he leaves or a new signing comes in is our only option

Bestietom

Both Rashford and Martial were out of sorts yesterday so another striker would be welcome news. A good creative number 10 is a must.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Their goal was definitely a foul in today's game. De Gea was at fault in two ways though. One - he came towards the ball with very little conviction. It was almost cowardly. As Gary Neville said, it was like something he would have done back when he first signed for us. Really poor to come for a ball like that as a Premier League keeper. But the second mistake he made was not going to ground and exaggerating the foul more. He stayed on his feet which made the ref (and probably the idiots at Stockley Park) think it wasn't so bad. If he goes to ground and appeals for the foul, for me he gets it and we stay at 0-0. Albeit it would have been a let off for him and the whole team.
Agree with this. No way this doesn't get disallowed if De Gea makes more of a fuss about it. I didn't even notice it in real time and theres a good chance the ref didn't either. If the ref had disallowed it then that decision would have been upheld IMO. Its the sort of thing that VAR is supposed to be here for - things that get missed in real time.

Still, either way it was a horrendous slice of bad luck for us at a terrible time in the match.

Gator Nate

24 shots, 8 of them on goal, only one went in. When you have that much productivity, and nothing to show for it, I think the tactics are fine. We're getting close enough but we're back to finishing being the problem.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 44% of 269 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 275 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw