PL W FA Premier League

Everton 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 07 November 2020

Red_Orchestra

This is an absolute joke, we beat all of the good teams that we face but we lose against the bottom teams.
We're about to get thrashed against West Bromwich Albion next week I hope you all understand.

Never the less, 3 points that we desperately needed.

Eddy_JukeZ

1st half was pretty good.

2nd half was incredibly disjointed. We just gave Everton the initiative.

Just sums up our time under Ole.

Good win though obviously.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Maguire and Fred were really good.
Don't know what you saw of Maguire to say he was really good. I can think of one headed clearance and the one where he got the ball leading to the Cavani goal. He was pretty much dire otherwise and continued to hog the ball for no reason.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Good result that, especially since we always seem to struggle vs Everton. the Cavani goal was the icing on the cake, Martial and Rashford I thought were poor though. At least we go to the international break off of a win, if they want Poch though this result shouldn’t change their plans.
We've only lost 1 in the last 11 against Everton.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Delighted that Trump was beaten.
Delighted we beat Everton.
Depressed to think Bruno is off to Real or Barca next summer.
Its inevitable.

Wilt

Just noticed in the 8 prem games where Richarlison has not played due to injury or suspension, Everton have lost 4, drawn 4

Basically, Everton are bolloxed without him, excellent player and he’s only 23

GarrinchaNZ

Maguire, put in an immense shift.
Fred, loved the energy.
Fernandes...just make him captain ffs.
Cavani, shows what Martial doesn't do - especially off the ball!
Shaw played bloody well till injured...needs to be rested more (he did almost lose his bloody leg!)

Finally we played with some grit and feistiness! Keane (probably won't be) hopefully pleased for a change :lol:

oses14

Supports
FC Dallas (USA, hardly tho)
Am I the only one who gets annoyed that we only show urgency when Ole's about to get sacked

croadyman

Thought we kept the ball in midfield much better today and Maguire looked more assured after the early setback.

I would also say the attacks felt less like just counters today and there was better build up play.

dogwithabone

However people see yesterday’s performance the one indisputable fact was that we were in total control and that’s impressive considering Everton’s start to the season.

dogwithabone

Don't know what you saw of Maguire to say he was really good. I can think of one headed clearance and the one where he got the ball leading to the Cavani goal. He was pretty much dire otherwise and continued to hog the ball for no reason.
Surely that’s a p*ss take ? Maguire was superb, as was Lindelof.

Gasolin

This is an absolute joke, we beat all of the good teams that we face but we lose against the bottom teams.
We're about to get thrashed against West Bromwich Albion next week I hope you all understand.

Never the less, 3 points that we desperately needed.
We didn't lose any pt against Newcastle, so why are we certain we would lose against West Bromwich Albion?

Gasolin

However people see yesterday’s performance the one indisputable fact was that we were in total control and that’s impressive considering Everton’s start to the season.
For me, what I liked the most was the counter pressing of the front 4, relentless, willing to disturb the ball distribution from Everton. Which forced James to go backward to try to find the ball on the side when he was on the right, and then, he ended up in the middle, very low, almost as a 6. Which is a victory by itself because then they have to rely even more on long balls. Yes they had DLC, but this was the real victory. The rest is just us playing football and being opportunistic when we could score.

Gasolin

Just noticed in the 8 prem games where Richarlison has not played due to injury or suspension, Everton have lost 4, drawn 4

Basically, Everton are bolloxed without him, excellent player and he’s only 23
He does bring an extra header option that helps them a lot indeed. But the key was to isolate James. Once we do that, it was easier for us. It's a bit like the other teams tackling Bruno or Pogba in our case, only in our case, it didn't work out, while in theirs, it hurt them big time.

Gasolin

Shaw and Rashford being out means Telles, VdB and Cavani can come in for champs league and a league game.

No drama.
Shaw is hamstring and could be out for a while, right? What does Rashford have? He's harder to sub for us as we need him to carry the ball and make runs behind the opposition line, and I think VdB is smart in his call but profile wise, it's more a job for James.

Strelok

Maguire was really good yesterday. Won many headers when Everton was pumping the ball into our box again and again. Some doesn't understand how important this is but I still remember I was always ready to have an heart attack whenever a ball was swung into our box before we signed him.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
I think yesterday highlighted what a miss Sancho has been. I think Ole has found his team with Fred and McTominay protecting the defence and Bruno the attacking option. We still lack that right sided attacker for balance.

Would like to see this formation used going forward, with VDB coming in for one of the sitters against teams outside the top 6, or for those who will sit back. This effectively then gives us a front five against teams sitting back.

Great for Cavani to score as well, fancy him to score a few for us this season, and also start to put pressure on Martial.

GueRed

Maguire and Bruno were brilliant
Fred and McTominay were the work and industry in midfield and deserve praise too. They're a better pair in Mid than the walking statues Matic and Pogba IMO

yesterday showed us what most already knew. We're a good counter-attacking team

3-1 away Great result:)

dogwithabone

Shaw is hamstring and could be out for a while, right? What does Rashford have? He's harder to sub for us as we need him to carry the ball and make runs behind the opposition line, and I think VdB is smart in his call but profile wise, it's more a job for James.
Shaw isn’t half unlucky. He was in the best form of his United career when he got that injury in europe and he’s playing even better now and is struck down again. Maybe it’s a career that just isn’t going to get properly going.

Strelok

Maguire and Bruno were brilliant
Fred and McTominay were the work and industry in midfield and deserve praise too. They're a better pair in Mid than the walking statues Matic and Pogba IMO

yesterday showed us what most already knew. We're a good counter-attacking team

3-1 away Great result:)
We scored two first goals by counter attack?

Truth is if we were that good with counter attack we should have scored more.

Bestietom

Second half was nailbiting, but Bruno was outstanding. 3 more points on the board but our forwards need to buck up or be dropped.

MrSingh2002

Ole mentioned Rashford hurt his shoulder in the game. It could just mean we play two upfront with Cavani and Martial until he's back and use the 442 diamond.

Our squads better than last year and this shows it at the moment that we should be able to rotate and cover for injuries.

Maticmaker

Two things happened yesterday we have not seen for a long time, both involving Bruno.

His first goal was example of a mid-fielder making his way into penalty box unmarked and arriving in the C/F position and scoring.
His brilliantly weighted pass to Cavani for third goal, when Bruno was on a hat-trick himself that is how to be a team player. How many times have we seen strikers supposedly 'being ruthlessly selfish'...and missing?

Well done Bruno, if ever anyone deserved MOM it was you yesterday.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
His brilliantly weighted pass to Cavani for third goal, when Bruno was on a hat-trick himself that is how to be a team player. How many times have we seen strikers supposedly 'being ruthlessly selfish'...and missing?
Best part of the whole match for me. That and him not giving a shit whether the 2nd goal was his or Rashfords. Great stuff

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he didnt commit himself foul first
I didn't see him making a foul and I didn't notice the ref giving that decision. If de Gea and Maguire had smashed an Everton player in the box like that I would have no complaints when the ref (or VAR) would give a penalty.

To me it was an obvious and criminal mistake.

Gator Nate

Great things yesterday:

1) Bruno. Total team player. And that first goal has to be goal of the week, goal of the month, heck, maybe even goal of the season... Amazingly beautiful.
2) Shaw. Two games in a row he's found a head on a cross from the corner. Don't remember which foot it came off of Tuesday, but that was a left-footed cross yesterday.
3) Maguire. Seven clearances, most of them with his head. Anchored the back line.
4) Starting on the front foot. Yeah, we gave up a goal first (and quite a good one, I thought) but we drove the attack from the start and had more possession in the first half.
5) All-around defensive play. We MADE Everton look garbage. They only had seven shots and only one on target.
6) Lineup. This is the lineup of players that Ole trusts most. Period. There should never be question of "why?" when this group is out there.
7) Cavani. Good to see his efforts on the field as a sub, and to score the goal. Made the most of his minutes, for sure. He'll get starts, I'm sure, but I hope he embraces this role.
8) Tuanzebe. He's now played three of the four back line positions and puts in a shift every time.
9) Ole. No way he's lost the dressing room. He trusts his defense and with a lead going into the second half, he rode with it.
10) 3-1 win puts me on top of the score prediction league. :lol:

Bruno laid down a very firm case for the captain's armband yesterday. Dude's on a yellow and still does what he does defensively.

This isn't to say everything was great. It wasn't. Martial's offensive play is a concern, but I thought he did well pressing defensively and Ole appreciates that. Same to a lesser degree with Rashford. Pass selection is the biggest issue with both. As long as wins come, he trusts them, they trust him, and things will continue.

Mata looks so painfully slow in the EPL. Love his footwork and decision making, but he just cannot contribute enough defensively. His play is much better suited to European games and he should remain a fixture in the group stage. His only saving grace is how well he stays on Bruno's wavelength.

Pogba is doing fine as a sub, but I still don't see him viable as a starter. His effort level is at a base "professional" level, and not at the level of "for the badge" that Ole wants. That won't win games in the league. On the other hand, Paul wants to showcase, so I think he's perfectly fine starting in CL games. Then we can offload him for value at the end of the season. Paul is a great looking puzzle piece, but not for this puzzle. The idea of Paul Pogba is great, the execution of Paul Pogba (no, not that kind of execution!) not so much.

Van de Beek hasn't earned Ole's total trust yet. I think he can and will, but watching him play with Bruno, they have to sort each other out without getting into each other's way. Against Besaksehir, they wasted a lot of effort and time moving into the same areas, catching it, and moving back out. Ole couldn't risk such breaks in continuity in such an important league game, so Donny didn't see the field. By our next game, after the break, they should have it fixed.

The officiating was fairly terrible. Possibly the worst I've seen this year, but terrible for both sides equally, so it was fair. I swear Everton had a couple of our jerseys after the match, as many handfulls as they grabbed yesterday.

R'hllor

I didn't see him making a foul and I didn't notice the ref giving that decision. If de Gea and Maguire had smashed an Everton player in the box like that I would have no complaints when the ref (or VAR) would give a penalty.

To me it was an obvious and criminal mistake.
You should check that first.

lex talionis

Maguire was really good FFS.

The overall team performance was much better than most of us feared it would be. On the negative side, Rashford and Martial were poor, but at least Marcus had his head into the game. Anthony, on the other hand, despite all his technical brilliance, brought a bad attitude to the pitch. He could be such an outstanding striker if somebody can just get inside his head and put a heart inside it. Bad metaphor, admittedly, but of wish Ole or someone could get across to him that he’s wasting his incredible talents but moping around the pitch, feeling sorry for the himself when things don’t go perfectly for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If anyone has a gif of that period of play leading up to Alan's foul (and subsequent yellow) on Fernandes, that would be greatly appreciated. Think it started with Fred and McTominay savaging James (fairly) and challenges were flying in, leading to that frustration foul by Alan. Felt like I was watching football 10 years ago.

Danillaco

I love Juan, but apart from Newcastle, you can't justify him on the pitch. Especially in a position that Donny would be perfect at.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Maguire was really good yesterday. Won many headers when Everton was pumping the ball into our box again and again. Some doesn't understand how important this is but I still remember I was always ready to have an heart attack whenever a ball was swung into our box before we signed him.
For sure. If he misses one or two of those and we draw the game Maguire is absolutely caned for it, and rightly so. I get that when a keeper makes a comfortable save or a defender heads a simple ball out we shouldn't go over the top with our praise, but why not acknowledge a player who did his job from minute one to minute 90+5? Maguire was my MotM given he never faltered in defending our box to Everton's aerial assault, their one and only line of attack on the day.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We've only lost 1 in the last 11 against Everton.
We’d taken two points in the last three matches against them hadn’t we? The 4-0 loss in Oles interim, then two draws last season.

Strelok

For sure. If he misses one or two of those and we draw the game Maguire is absolutely caned for it, and rightly so. I get that when a keeper makes a comfortable save or a defender heads a simple ball out we shouldn't go over the top with our praise, but why not acknowledge a player who did his job from minute one to minute 90+5? Maguire was my MotM given he never faltered in defending our box to Everton's aerial assault, their one and only line of attack on the day.
Yeah some think it's normal for a defender to win headers but truth is it's very important and not as easy as it sounds.

I still remember seeing Vidic doing that and wondered why this guy would always get to the ball and clear it? Literally all the time. Then I realised it's not easy at all. Especially at times we were so vulnerable against balls pumped into our box. Prior to Maguire we had a big tendency of screwing up whenever a ball was swung into our box. Even the simplest ones caused havoc within our defence and we conceded a considerable number of goals due to that.

MikeeMike

Fred was brilliant, his passing between the lines gives me hope for the future.

I hope Pogba's now a bench player. If your job's on the line, Pogba's not one you'd trust to pull you out of the tailspin.
I admit I am anti Fred and again I just dont get it. Got spun off the ball at the end which was clear chance for them to equalize.
Jogs everywhere. I try to look for what others see “passing between the lines” but see nothing but a player constantly behind play,always ball watching,cannot shoot for sh*t. I hope to be proven wrong.

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 77% of 351 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 330 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw