LC W League Cup Quarter-Final

Everton 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 23 December 2020

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was that the slowest goal we have ever scored on the counter attack??

Great to see Edinson and Anthony on the scoresheet with confidence-breeding finishes.

Despite being held to 0-0, we looked comfortably the better side and this keeps the momentum going. It would have been easy to get sloppy in this game what with the change of faces and competition.
I think they must have been in two minds about just wasting time and seeing the last 40seconds out having messed up 2 chances in the previous minute!

Foxbatt

But we need to make sure we put away those chances we create. Ole would have had a hattrick by half time if he was playing.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Excellent game. Maguire a bit dodgy in places. Rashford awful. Pogba played great. Cavani took and created chances. Everton were good. Some of the movement was dizzying especially in the first half hour. Respect to Matic, Greenwood, and Donny - he seems to be settling in. But Fernandes awesome. MOTM for me.

Rustyspider13

Ancelotti almost pulled off a Mourinho masterclass there. Well done Cavani, fantastic hit! Thought he was poor the entire game, but world class players pull rabbits out of the hat regularly and he did it there. Cool finish from Martial too.

Hope Fernandes uses the energy from the win to recover, as him being tired is the only possible negative from this tie. Great win, we'll probably get Spurs. Time for payback if we do.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Very good performance and well deserved victory. Most players played well, though for me Cavani gets the plaudits for his goal, was worried he’d get the red for one moment though.
Anyone got a clip of what happened there? My stream died for 30 seconds and it came back with the commentators talking about an incident but didn't see a replay.

croadyman

Loving the reaction from Bruno when celebrating first goal and Telles at the end as well looked chuffed to bits

MattyLT

Excellent first half, thoroughly professional second half. The improvement in play and control of games should be visible to anyone who wants to see it.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I enjoy the emotions of the lads after scoring more than the actual goal itself, just just so much fun to see how much it means to everyone.

2nd win in a row against 4th placed Everton this season. Let's all eat some christmas dinner and clobber Leicester on boxing day now

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Really nice performance. Not that we were excellent throughout, but it was controlled and we kept a pretty good Everton side at arms length quite comfortably.

First 30 minutes was super strong. Completely dominated them, and then we went quite ragged, but i always felt confident that we'd be the ones to find that moment of quality to win it.

A few player comments -

Defence were very comfortable. I liked Tuanzebe at right back. Definitely an option for us there. Maguire was very good

Pogba - I've been critical but I can really get behind him being in the team when he plays it safe like this. He always looks like he can do something

Cavani - I felt he was poor for the most part. Some Lukaku like heavy touches, but all is forgiven when you get the important goal. Should have been sent off though

Donny - pretty average. I think he more than most needs regular football to be at his best. Nice and tidy but nothing more than that

Overall though there's no doubt that this team are getting stronger. We keep on winning. Keep on finding ways to win. The future looks bright

BestRed

Great performance & win capped of with that beauty of a Cavani goal, team confidence & belief growing all the time.

Siorac

Well deserved, nice win.

Shame Bruno played 90 minutes though. When will he ever get a rest?

HarryRedCrumbs

I was beginning to think someone had put a hex on our Tony, so was relieved to see him finally sweep that last one home.

Not a bad game at all, all things considered.

Nori-

Don't want to jinx it but........It's actually fun watching United again. :)

stu_1992

A really good and well deserved result. In all honesty we could have and possible should have killed off the game in the first 20 minutes of the game. We were so good, but wasteful in that period and you just knew it wouldn't be like that forever. As expected Everton came back at us but we manages to ride it out okay without being too flustered.

Second half was a little more clam by both teams. More even overall but it opened up again at the end and that's where we took advantage. Firstly a great strike by Cavani out of not much of an opportunity. Great to see him have a big moment like that after inury. And the Martial goal to completely finish it off. Liking the signs of him getting back to playing well recently, that can only be a huge plus to us. We could have 2 more at the end before but I'll take the 2-0 especially considering the chnages we made which were numerous. Defence was solid, no sign of nerves from Henderson after his mistake in the last game so that was all encouraging.

Only concern would be how much we had to play Fernandes and how much he's played overall so far. He needs a rest at some point.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Excellent result. We looked tired at times but we always looked fairly solid.
Great finish by Cavani - great signing he is.
Credit to Bailey and Pogba.

FujiVice

We dont look bad do we? If we can bring in the right type of players in the positions we need we could be building something special here. I see leaders for the first time in ages.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We looked like a big club. Dominant.

felt inevitable that we were going to score, that’s the best compliment I can give Ole. Fergie vibes.

ive Been very critical of him, but maybe he is the man after all. Lets see. I’m very impressed with him since our CL exit.

Superunknown

We started off very well, then it flattened in the middle, then got sloppy, then we ended up scoring two goals. A weird game, but I thought we made all of the right moves and only got let down by either sloppy final passes or not good enough finishing until we finally got the goals. Deserved the win and it would have felt very harsh had we lost that on penalties. Didn't come under pressure at all in that game and we were well on top.

I like how we were on the front foot and dictating the game. Everton couldn't really handle us at times and those first 20 minutes in particular were great. Cavani never stopped moving and deserved his goal! Happy to see Martial come on and get his too, which will hopefully be the start of good things for him.

On the whole, we did more than enough to win the game and were the better team, so I'm delighted to see us make it through.

Jonno

Great to see our B team play the same way our A-team play :lol:

We’re blessed with a talented squad. To think, Williams, AWB, Mata all missing tonight too

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 244 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 36% Everton 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Everton 1:3 Man Utd