PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:3 Everton

Post-match discussion

Sat, 06 February 2021

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The litany of defensive errors for that last goal, just wow.

Honestly thought it was the best passing display from us I've seen this season. Missed chances and shite at the back cost us dearly.

Guess it evens out over the season, we probably should have lost/drawn some games we've won.

Not ready for a proper title challenge

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Any other day its a solid 3-0/4-0 home win. Everton were awful for all the money spent and the great coach. Lack of concentration is a major concern. Think we will be alright.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m actually quite pleased about our overall performance. We played quite well. But I can guaran-fecking-tee we’ll win nothing so long as we defend set-pieces as badly as we have this season and continue to be incapable of closing out games where we’re a goal up and the better team.

justsomebloke

So, here's a thought. Between this and the 0-0 against Arsenal, we see the dilemmas that outline the limitations of this squad. There's been a pretty deafening chorus calling for a more adventurous approach to big games, lamenting our lack of goal production when we field McFred and Wan-Bissaka and at least one of the central midfielders do not get too much involved forward. Today, we went full tilt - bot midfielders involved upfield, both full backs full of attacking vim and even the CBs high enough to contribute every now and then. Scored three goals, looked good offensively - but allowed three, and drew. And, our defence looked vulnerable throughout, as it has also against much weaker opponents, when we've gone at it offensively. And that's the space we're in. That's the tradeoff.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Basically, we're on the same level as Liverpool during the season when they lost the Champions League because of Karius and a weak defense. They went ahead and bought a top keeper and defender and the rest is history. I don't remember if Van Dijk was there already but I don't think he was yet.

justsomebloke

Agree we showed poor game management again during overtime.

Don't agree with all the aggro towards De Gea. The second goal didn't look good, but what exactly was he supposed to have done differently?

Also, I don't think Rashford deserves all this negativity. That assist was absolutely incredible. Very positively involved in the second half especially, with more than a few class initiatives.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Basically, we're on the same level as Liverpool during the season when they lost the Champions League because of Karius and a weak defense. They went ahead and bought a top keeper and defender and the rest is history. I don't remember if Van Dijk was there already but I don't think he was yet.
Are we? We got knocked out in the group stages with a serious head start going into the second round of fixtures. They lost in the final with a team that cost considerably less than ours. That team played much better football than we do.

McTerminator

If our defence was any good we'd be running away with the title. Great day for Man City.
All goes back to the transfer window. We were all underwhelmed by the summer window. All left disappointed by the winter window.

we have improved in spite of the glazers and Woodward’s incompetence, but there’s only so much that can be done without proper investment.

Where would we be if the board had given Ole the CB and Sancho he wanted?

Skåre Willoch

Great game of football. Bad game for a United supporter. De Gea with two (?) blunders. Tuanzebe losing 2 points in 3 (?) minutes.
Not getting 3 points here feels worse than the game against the Blades. Horrific. How we can’t close out this game is beyond me. Weak.

That Bruno goal, though. :drool:

bdspeedy

None of the goals were deGea's fault. Not really blaming Axel. This CB pairing is lower half of the table quality.

Devil may care

It feels like a loss, goalkeeping and defending was a clown show and I thought Ole got it wrong, when Pogba came off we were always going to lose some control, and we got a glimpse of the threat in behind against the sloth CB's just beforehalf time, yet instead of using McFred to babysit them like they usually do so we could try to hit on the counter as we were 2-0 up, yet instead Fred was attacking like he was an AM.

The front 4 and Shaw had good games, Marcus should have scored but overall he did well.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We got a lot right. The defending was crap and De Gea was crap. Really frustrating game but it's nowhere near as worrying as looking blunt against Sheffield United was.

RuudTom83

Shame...such a shame that a few areas of the team are behind the rest! When we look back at this season it will feel like a huge opportunity missed.

justsomebloke

No I like Sancho, lovely player to watch but he's not an addressing need that needs to be fixed. We aren't going anywhere with this defence

It's true like the saying goes " Attacks win you matches, Defences win you leagues"
That old saying is just an annoying piece of obvious crap, in my opinion. At least if taken in the sense usually ascribed to it. On several levels.

Firstly, it's self-contradictory. Because how do you win leagues? That's right, by winning matches. So, if offense wins matches, it also wins titles.

Secondly, what description generally fits most title teams best?

a. They are a dominant attacking side
b. They are the most well-organised, defensive sides in the League

Good teams are generally notable for their offense. Teams generally notable for their defence are usually not contending teams.

Thirdly, the juxtaposition of attack vs defence is ridiculous. Teams who win titles are normally good offensively and defensively.

The only level at which this old adage makes any sense is this:

To win titles, you usually need to be a dominant offensive team. But unless you also pay attention to playing good defence, that is unlikely to be enough.

It's something coaches tell players on good teams to remind them they can't just do nifty passes on the opposition half, they also need to track back. In other words, its an educational message for good football players, not an analysis of what part of football is most important.

Jamie Shawcross

None of the goals were deGea's fault. Not really blaming Axel. This CB pairing is lower half of the table quality.
2 of the 3 goals were clearly De Gea's fault. The first one (palming it softly into Doucoure) was an appalling mistake, and he lacked bravery for the third, although Calvert Lewin shouldn't have been able to get anywhere near that. For me however, the biggest problem tonight were the wasted chances, several clear cut chances that on another day we might have buried. Our performance warranted more goals, but we were shocking at the back when it counted. Infuriating to lose 2 points with the last kick of the game, and I will never understand that substitution...we just had to see it out.

redmanx

So could Maguire. A lot of players can be blamed after this draw, both defenders and attacker
It really sticks in my craw that highly paid professionals can be so unprofessional! Surely they must know that they have to concentrate and keep focussed the entire game? They must know by now how to run down the clock and see the game out and not to simply give the ball back to the opposition? And why is it they so often start the second half half asleep? This isn't Oles fault, I'm pretty sure he instills this and more into them all the time. These players have the ability but seemingly not the brains!

Kita

League is done, City will walk it. Just hope we can finish second and keep developing the squad.

Jamie Shawcross

We got a lot right. The defending was crap and De Gea was crap. Really frustrating game but it's nowhere near as worrying as looking blunt against Sheffield United was.
I actually thought it was one of our best and most dominant performances of the season up until that goal at the end. Wasteful with our chances, should have killed the game off

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Their attack was much more potent at that time, to be honest. But yeah, we definitely need to sure up this defence.

Jamie Shawcross

League is done, City will walk it. Just hope we can finish second and keep developing the squad.
I think the league was a bridge too far this season, but I have enjoyed at least the sense of "could it be?" whilst it lasted. Been a while since I felt that, and we have a really strong team, definite improvement on last season. We all know where we need to strengthen. We don't even need that much to be mounting a serious challenge. If we carry on in the same trajectory since Ole took charge and we are clever in the summer, we have to expect a title challenge next term. I am optimistic. If we play like we did today (bar the defensive mistakes) we should be good for second and at least keeping the pressure on City.

kerryman

You wouldn't think defending a last minute set piece was too hard and yet how many times do we give wins away when that's all we need to do
Thanks Maguire...check out his defending for the last free kick
United need a leader at the back - that defensive line for a free kick in that position in the last minute of the game was pure cowardice. Invited the ball like that and the guy who should be leading the backline drops back too early to play everyone onside anyway!
100% agree...he played everyone onside...could not believe it! Our defence is shambolic..we've conceded 30 in 23 games (the higher number conceded amongst the teams in the top 10). Will never win a league conceding at that rate. city have only conceded 13 so far!

Jericholyte2

We got knocked out in the group stages thanks in a large part to losing to a team that at the time was 8th in the Turkish league...

always_hoping

In the January of that season they brought Van Dijk in. Uniteds owners and clueless Woodward chose not to bring in centre back in the summer or during January window as they have no ambition and won't think long term to improve the team in the arenas its clearly weak in.

arnie_ni

Can someone total how many goals from set pieces we've conceded? Must be almost half our goals

RRCE

This match proves that the Ole‘s overhaul of this team is far from complete (and likely that he still has some big managerial lessons to learn as well). In some ways, we’re clearly making progress. On balance, it was a good performance against a decent side. Some of the passing and buildup play was impressive and we should have easily won the game. That said, it’s clear that this team still has a weak underbelly, with a propensity for huge mistakes in key moments. It cost us valuable points today. Ole clearly doesn’t trust his bench, which is going to be a big problem as the season wears on and the inevitable injuries hit.

For me, though, there’s one major problem that sticks out. There’s absolutely a lack of leadership from the back. None of De Gea, Lindelof or Maguire are true leaders on the pitch. They’ve shown several times this season alone that they can’t be trusted and will bottle it when the chips are down. That reverberates through the whole team, and therefore everyone gets edgy when, for example, we’re trying to hold a one goal lead and see a game out. Until that’s corrected, this team won’t win titles. They don’t all have to go, but something needs to change. The obvious move is the one that most fans (as well as past and current Managers) are crying out for - a new center back. If we bring someone in, they not only need pace, they need to be able to command that back line. Until we find someone to do that, we’ll just be spinning our wheels.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Well look, it's not our usual disappointment, is it? We were good, very good even for the majority of that. A total of 7 or 8 poor minutes in total. It's a brutal reveal of the reasons why we probably won't challenge this season but it's still not as depressing as most of our disappointments over the last couple of years. We're a good side.

giggslover

Have my say about the result some other time, gutted like most of the rest of you. What I did want to focus on, while most are having a go at the defense, did anyone else think Greenwood was just incredible today? Best I've ever seen him, his passing and movement was flawless. My MOTM, would get a 9/10 for me.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Have my say about the result some other time, gutted like most of the rest of you. What I did want to focus on, while most are having a go at the defense, did anyone else think Greenwood was just incredible today? Best I've ever seen him, his passing and movement was flawless. My MOTM, would get a 9/10 for me.
Superb mate yeh. Great to see.

Jamie Shawcross

Lets look at the positives from tonight and put the 2 dropped points to one side:

Greenwood was incredible for the entire game.
Bruno was exceptional
Cavani was great yet again
Shaw was as good as he has been and I seriously think he's best LB in the world on recent form
Our first two goals were special.
The overall pace of our play for large parts of the game was great to see

We have a terrifying attack, this team doesn't need much tweaking to be competing.

Litch

Was a shame as bar the first 15mins and defensive errors, going forward I thought it was our most cohesive performance

MikeeMike

Yes mate. For me was his best game by far.

Litch

Well look, it's not our usual disappointment, is it? We were good, very good even for the majority of that. A total of 7 or 8 poor minutes in total. It's a brutal reveal of the reasons why we probably won't challenge this season but it's still not as depressing as most of our disappointments over the last couple of years. We're a good side.
Agree. We are closer than most will give us credit for. There is some irony in the comparison with Liverpool as I feel we are two signings away from really competing. I personally think we need to be thinking about life after DDG and even bigger decision whether Harry was the right signing. I think if you spend 80m on CB but then need to buy another to make the best out of him, it kind of answers the question.

Litch

His ceiling is ridiculously high.

Listar

I’m still pretty upset about the last min goal. Speechless

SirAnderson

Almost 3am here and I'm still seething thinking about it.
We not going to get a better chance at challenge than this season and we are bottling it big time.
Its the fecking hope that kills you.

MattofManchester

We've been top scorers this season. That defence has been constantly costing us results all season

We honestly have to bulldoze teams 4-0 or I don't ever feel safe. One chance, and you think even the lowest teams are in.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 321 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Man Utd 2:1 Everton
  • 20% Man Utd 3:1 Everton