EL W Europa League Group L

Manchester United 1:0 FC Astana

Post-match discussion

Thu, 19 September 2019

fergieisold

Overall style of play is promising, high pressure, attack minded football. Just need to click a bit more upfront and we will be banging them in!

Looked a little dodgy at the back but luckily didn't get caught on the counter!

cyberman

Don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying.

‘Fantasy?’ You are using players who were sold for not developing into the ‘Manchester United players’ it was hoped they would be in order to contradict me? Fletcher? Who we had tried to play in the first team from aged 15?

No player was brought into the first team and given regular games who did not have the talent to make it. Naturally, many have fallen short of expectations and ended up as squad players. Others have left. However, ALL were brought through in the hope of being able to make it in the first team. If McTominay ends up as a squad player, he will not have fallen short of expectation. He’d have done well, when considering the player he was in the academy. We never used to bother with such.

And Ben Foster was signed for like £6m in his 20s so tell him I said ‘hi’ too.

As I said, even Greenwood or Gomes may not make it here, but at least we can all see why we tried. I think we have a tendency on this forum at any given time to think about 6 of our future first XI are in the academy. We need to keep the standards at the very top. We can keep celebrating having ‘8 academy players in a match day squad’, but then it’s a match day squad that we can barely trust to beat anybody on most weeks.
But you continue to ignore the fact our squad has always been made up of youth products not good enough to be starters but are ready to step in types.
Its Sir Alex who kept Lingard around ffs while letting Pogba and Pique go.
You are evaluating prior youth products with heindsight while refusing to give this generation the same time to develop.
Its OK pretending United youth products have high standards until you explain what Darren Gibson and Chris Eagles are all about.

AJ10

They train together every day and have come up playing in the same 18/23/reserves teams haven't they?

Are you saying that you think we didn't have any issues creating chances yesterday and the main problem was Rashford's profligacy?

If so, I would strongly disagree.

Yes, Rashford missed some half chances in the first half. But he's a 21 year old striker in poor form. The larger problem is that we left ourselves with such an unbalanced squad he is required to have the consistency of Aguero for the team to function as we need to rely on him every single week.

I don't feel like we created anywhere near enough and we seemed totally devoid of ideas. Different personel but it's annoying that every time we play inferior opposition we really struggle to attack- Palace, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Brighton etc. The chances that fell to Rashford yesterday were less us carving them open, and mostly due to their centre half deciding to wander to the ball and ignore Rashford's run in a manner akin to a defender on the easiest difficulty of a videogame.

We had a chance every time we put a decent corner in since their organisation and basics were so poor. The worrying thing to me is that from open play, we looked toothless. A lot of posters here are calling this a comfortable win, but winning by a single goal in the last 20 minutes to spare your blushes against Astana is not comfortable as far as I'm concerned.
Ah yes playing in a match together and training together is the same thing.

He along with Martial are the main strikers, if we don't reply on them then whats the use of them?

Maybe you were expecting us to create 30 chances but pretty sure we created at least 7 good chances and :lol: Clutching of straws is strong with you.... how dare a striker make a clever run but no, no its the defender being rubbish. I wonder if that level of straw clutching is used for other teams.

So your problem isn't that we created less but we only scored one.....:wenger:

As I said we created chances but couldn't finish and that had nothing to do with not having or not having a "functioning midfield and attack".

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Those who thought Jose sucked the joy out of our football seem a bit quiet. We were dull and so unbelievably predicatable. Not much seems to have changed. As for the youngsters being our future, although it was good to see them being given game time, I'll stick to my belief that we need to spend big on two midfielders and a top-quality, proven goal scorer. As for those who think rashford will surpass Rooney's goal tally - well, yeh, if he plays until he's 70. Ruud or RvP would have scored at least two last night. Greenwood looks a more natural Number Nine than Rashford. And I wish Garner had been given a few minutes rather than Young. There were good moment but far too few and too far between. Sorry, but I just don't see Ole's plan and I still feel he will be made the scapegoat... I actually thought (shock ) Jones had a good game and Dalot had a good first half. Rojo looked good going forward early on too

TrustInOle

Have no idea how we can watch out first team 11 go out and struggle against low block teams and then expect a team of kids with potential to all come in and be able to unlock a professional well structured defence.

What i took from the game is the kids are brave and showed glimpses of the quick interchangable football they possess. But struggled against a well organised 10 man defence.

Was massively impressed with Tuanzebe and Greenwood, but gave Fred my man of the match as i thought he really stood out in one of his best games so far, in terms of individual performances.

pascell

I'd play the kids in every group game to get them match sharp and fit, then judge if they're ready for PL football, in the meantime if there's injuries then it won't hurt having them as subs.

RedDevilRoshi

Thought we stepped it up big time in the 2nd half and were moving the ball about much quicker. Only thing that we didn’t do enough of last night was score more goals. Rashford should have had two.

Overall we got the win and I’d be happy to play the youngsters in the group stages to keep them match sharp and give them that experience they need.

Last edited:

romufc

Thought we stepped it up big time in the 2nd half and were moving the ball about much quicker. Only thing that we didn’t enough of last night was score more goals. Rashford should have had two.
On another day, we could have had 4.

Rashford should have scored at least 2.

I think we done enough in the game to get the win. The group stages are all about getting the points

Bestietom

Rashford 13 goals in all competitions last season, Martial with 12 are not going to get you into top 4. We need a CF who will get this number of goals on his own. Lukaku should have been replaced.

Craig Ward

1-0 - wins a win and all that.

I feel there is more positives than negatives after watching that.

Its a win - winning breeds confidence and can only be good for the squad.

Rotation - much talked about, 9 changes.

Performance - some sloppy play, same old struggling to break teams down. Some good performances and some good minutes.

I've read a lot of bashing here, Rashford in particular and feel we need to calm down a bit. We have a thin squad and bled a lot of youth. It was never going to be vintage, but it was good in spells.

Take Rashford, he could have had a couple early on and then its a different game altogether. Hit the keeper rather than it being a class save but you'll get that on times.

Of the players that came in, I thought:
Jones was good
Rojo was good
Tuanzebe was excellent
Matic was good
Fred was good (although sometimes loose when dribbling forward)
Gomes wasn't in the game enough and struggled physically
Chong was poor. Sloppy touches, wasteful and similar to Gomes weak on the ball
Greenwood was just ok, he's getting all the hype but he wasn't in the game. Took his chance well and undoubtedly is a talent
Rashford was probably our worst player. Positionally poor, should have buried the early chance and ran the ball out of play a lot. Better from the left but would expect a lot more from him.

subs - it says something when Lingard and Mata make your attack better. But they probably did.

Did not see the benefit in bringing Young on

Astana were there to be beaten, not pushovers. They were solid enough that a team would have to play through and beat them. We done that, just

abailey123

You have to be happy with that last night.
It felt like the first time in a long time that Manchester United are back!

Academy products all over the pitch.
The 3 teenagers not looking out of place, they’ll get better with every minute played this year. Greenwood took his goal with quality.

The fans sounded immense and that Tuanzabe chant is catchy as hell - as it the Greenwood one!

Was last night the first time we’ve seen Oles style? Full backs high, centre halves comfortable in possession, mobile front 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alabaster Codify7

Firstly, a disclaimer.

Our EL group games, and early stage domestic cup games, are going to have to be full of our kids and second string players. We have to rotate, it is crucial to rest our first teamers. So if this is the case, I'm not expecting amazing football, dominant performances or bags of goals. I just expect our kids and squad players to drag us over the line. If possible.

Onto the game and result. 1-0 at home against a Kazakh side is very poor, even with kids, but we could've had 4-5 had our finishing been better.

I thought Dalot, Axel, Rojo all did well. Fred was okay, in context.

Greenwood and Gomes were average, Chong was poor. He seems the least likely to succeed of the three.

Rashford - my, my, my. 200k a week and one of the first teamers on display. Nowhere near good enough.

I think we'll have our hands full in the next fixture at Alkmaar.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

I gave Rashford and Chong 4 (generous in hindsight)

Jones 5

Greenwood, Gomes and Tuanzebe 7

Everyone else 6.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
But you continue to ignore the fact our squad has always been made up of youth products not good enough to be starters but are ready to step in types.
Its Sir Alex who kept Lingard around ffs while letting Pogba and Pique go.
You are evaluating prior youth products with heindsight while refusing to give this generation the same time to develop.
Its OK pretending United youth products have high standards until you explain what Darren Gibson and Chris Eagles are all about.
Darron Gibson and Chris Eagles were also intended to develop into first team players. They were not child prodigies, but the hope was for them to compete in the first XI. And the fact is, they failed to do that and were sold. All of the players you mentioned, with the exception of Welbeck, left and went to mid-table sides (at best). That was the level they were, which was not seemed to be good enough for Manchester United. If Scott McTominay or Pereira left today, they will also join a mid table side. Yet they are starting for us weekly.

I’m not anti-youth, I just want Manchester United players playing for Manchester United. If Rashford left tomorrow, he’d be a Barcelona player. If Greenwood left tomorrow, he’d be at Juve, Bayern etc. Gomes similar. I’m all for investing the time in them, even if that means they ultimately fall short and end up as useful squad players. But developing young average players in the hope that they later become experienced average players in the squad is a pointless exercise to me. The likes of Fletcher, O’Shea, Brown all fell a bit short but were still useful. Same as Jonny Evans. Every young player doesn’t need to get a chance in the first team. Otherwise we will end up on a pathway to having an average squad due to prioritising our history of promoting youth. I’m all for getting rid of Lukaku for Greenwood, less here for getting rid of Ander Herrera for Scott McTominay or Pereira.

Zlatattack

Firstly, a disclaimer.

Our EL group games, and early stage domestic cup games, are going to have to be full of our kids and second string players. We have to rotate, it is crucial to rest our first teamers. So if this is the case, I'm not expecting amazing football, dominant performances or bags of goals. I just expect our kids and squad players to drag us over the line. If possible.

Onto the game and result. 1-0 at home against a Kazakh side is very poor, even with kids, but we could've had 4-5 had our finishing been better.

I thought Dalot, Axel, Rojo all did well. Fred was okay, in context.

Greenwood and Gomes were average, Chong was poor. He seems the least likely to succeed of the three.

Rashford - my, my, my. 200k a week and one of the first teamers on display. Nowhere near good enough.

I think we'll have our hands full in the next fixture at Alkmaar.
I think we might find it easier against better teams actually. They'll have more of the ball, be attacking us more, the game will be more open, allowing us to use the counter attack more often.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Rashford 13 goals in all competitions last season, Martial with 12 are not going to get you into top 4. We need a CF who will get this number of goals on his own. Lukaku should have been replaced.
Martial didn't play as a CF last season. Injuries are his problem not the ability to score goals.

Alabaster Codify7

I think we might find it easier against better teams actually. They'll have more of the ball, be attacking us more, the game will be more open, allowing us to use the counter attack more often.

Double-edged swords, better teams will score past us. Astana had 2-3 excellent chances that they fluffed.

Zlatattack

Double-edged swords, better teams will score past us. Astana had 2-3 excellent chances that they fluffed.
That's true, but i'm a firm believer 9 times out of 10 you get the result your performance deserves. If we can't put away a decentish Dutch side, we're in a lot of trouble.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
It was a pretty shite game...but then I'm not sure why anyone was expecting any different from United's reserves vs Astana.

Greenwood getting his first goal was a big plus and anyone expecting the likes of Gomes and Chong to come in and immediately look like first team players is deluding themselves.
Would our first team have performed much better? I don't think so.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Felt the young players did better than I expected,other than Axel who's obviously more adept at playing against experienced professionals.

For people who have question marks on the 3,remember these kids have been starring against players in their own age group. Its only logical that all 3 would show difficulties in adjusting going against professional,experienced men who have god knows how many matches under their belt.

Felt Astana was the perfect introduction. Defensively solid outfit with,what seems, to have good physical attributes.

All about the learning curve.
Keep playing them in these situations.

Last edited:

Onerealunited

Fred: Energic. Quick on the ball. Always looking at forward passes. Had a good 90minutes

Rojo. Surprised me a lot with his deliveries. Had a good game going forward. Very energetic

Tuanzebe. Fast and know where to stand. He could be a good player in the future. Should be tried next to Maguire

Greenwood. Good finisher. Not much in the game at the wing. Should be used as CF

Gomes and Chong: they have long way to go. They didn’t show enough to be used in PL but good with some minutes on senior level

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Would our first team have performed much better? I don't think so.
Our first team doesn't have Rojo in it, so it probably would have.

Generally if you make 9 changes and select a group of players who are short of games/fitness, you'll obviously get a drop in performance.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've felt this way since the summer to be honest.
You might have to hope we have players back from injury, because with last nights team there could be problems. You would think that Dutch side will give us much more problems. We should have won by more last night but for bad finishing. We may not get as many chances in future.

ArjenIsM3

You might have to hope we have players back from injury, because with last nights team there could be problems. You would think that Dutch side will give us much more problems. We should have won by more last night but for bad finishing. We may not get as many chances in future.
To be fair last night's team didn't contain any first eleven player except for Rashford. All the others were squad players or youth players. We'd have to have an insane amount of injuries of we'd have to rely on them being our first eleven.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be fair last night's team didn't contain any first eleven player except for Rashford. All the others were squad players or youth players. We'd have to have an insane amount of injuries of we'd have to rely on them being our first eleven.
I do realise the side he put out, once the injuries clear up we will see if it was because of the injuries or it was his plan all along. This might be his way of giving his kids and fringe players games.

Gator Nate

We did well. Just lacked penetration in the final moments, but we had kids playing, will be great for their confidence though. Of course, the resident moaners will come out with all sorts of ridiculous comments, ive already seen some about Fred, who had a really good game. He was solid.

I'm not sure what some fans want, it seems as if unless every player is putting in a 10/10 performance, it's not good enough.
Finishing seems to be our biggest problem. But with this squad, I expected it. We certainly controlled the game. Astana had the ball for only 25% of the time and only managed 3 shots, none of which were on target. For our 75% of the game, we had 20 shots, 7 on target. Only one went in.

Was this a PL-level squad? Of course not. This is what we needed for the moment, and in more ways than just 3 points in the EL. But we did get those, too!

Here are some interesting passing stats:

Fred - 137 passes (!) - 93.4% success
Matic - 120 passes - 92.5%
Tuanzebe - 94 - 91.5%
Phil Jones - 66 - 97% (!)

Good place to knock off rust. Only two of our starters had started so far this year. I really felt that only Chong had a weak game - a bit too careless on the ball too often. But put that same lineup out there next week and I think they play much better, much tighter.

Kudos to Ole for putting that bunch out there at the right time. And his substitutions were appropriate and well-timed.

Sea-Cow

Rashford, Chong and Jones were not good, but Rojo, Tuanzebe and Greenwood showed that they both can and wanted to play. Romero reliable as usual. Rashford's bad form is worrying, hope it soon gets better.

After all, many good things. Important players got to rest before West Ham, more youngsters in the squad got to play, Ole made good decisions and we won. But hard to be happy when, despite all our chances, we can't score more goals, it's quite worrying.
What was not good about Jones last night? I thought he did well considering he had little help from Rojo.

Tony247

Ole played the youngsters so gotta give that to him. We really can't expect senior/established players like performance from the kids so that is understandable. Here is my key player analysis

Rashford: he is not cut out to be a striker, at least not at the club of ambition like united. He has another 2-3 years to sort out what player he wants to be. But he and the manager need to decide fast. Loan could be an option but his salary will be a problem. That's why I am not in favor of giving so much money so early to youngsters.

Chong: still a kid. I am not going to be harsh on him as he is not yet ready for the first team. He can do 10 mins substitute appearance and get a feel of it but needs to go on loan next season for better development.

Gomes: was good. He has skills. But again he is still not developed. I would not send him on loan as he is very close to find his place, although not yet. But 60-70 min substitution, sometimes a start will do good for him.

Greenwood: perhaps brightest and most importantly hungriest of them all. He will be the future of united if handled correctly. By correctly means giving him frequent chances and playing as target man, not wide forward. He is still 17 year kid and yesterday his physical fragility was evident against grown men. He was easily out muscled, even outrun. You cannot play him week in week out. He will physically collapse against rough men. He will bulk up in 2-3 years. He has to if he wants to be #9. He needs to have a bully like presence in the box. Other than that he has every goddam skill and temperament to be a world class CF with a world class club.

Tony247

Fred was again Fred yesterday. But he didn't play for many weeks... so forgiven. But watch it man.

Alemar

Fred was again Fred yesterday. But he didn't play for many weeks... so forgiven. But watch it man.
Fred played much better than Matic yesterday, and he also hit the crossbar with a long shot and made our only assist.

Sea-Cow

Are you bring serious? :lol:
I am indeed. I admit that traffic was bad and I got to the bar 20 minutes into the match, but from that moment onwards I thought he was fine. He had little help from his fullback but he won the ball early and helped keep them pinned in their own half.

Phil Jones is a good defender and if he could get over his bad luck with injuries he can be a dominant force. That might not be with United, but I am certain he still has it in him.

And white text -- no, I'm not his mom.

Man of the Match

Mason Greenwood image Mason Greenwood 47% of 499 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 364 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Astana win