g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

CL W Champions League Group A

Manchester United 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Post-match discussion

Tue, 24 October 2023

croadyman

What happened with the penalty?? I turned everything off soon as the penalty was called and couldn't hack the fallout of another non-victory. Just brought myself to put on FlashScore a minute ago and saw it was still 1-0 to United??
Onana saved McTominay's bacon

ManRed

Such struggles to beat a Danish team :nervous:
Our last 5 goals are 3x Scott, 1x Dalot and 1x Maguire

Irwin99

I bet it's a Freaky Friday situation and the ref and some randomer have swapped bodies.
I just don't think i've ever seen that happen where a ref blows the whistle 15 seconds before the half is even officially over? Some sort of technical error?

Didn't look much of a penalty either but i haven't seen many replays of the incident so I could be wrong.

siw2007

First three points in the UCL this season and if we keep this up then it might be our last!

That was a really poor performance for the most part. No energy, no control, very little threat to them. But hats off to Maguire, that was a great moment for him. But I will have to go for Onana as MOTM, that was an epic moment for him at a such a crucial time.

Need much more from Rashford who loos like he has a crisis of confidence out there.

DavelinaJolie

Just a poor performance, and much like that Brentford game, the emotion of the last minute dramatics possibly papering over the fact that we scraped a win against FC Copenhagen at Old Trafford.

Guapa

Well that was entertaining.Great result,piss poor performance against 12 men.

sixdwarf

How far have we fallen to scrape past Copenhagen? It’s gonna be a long season guys, buckle up
That disrespects Copenhagen. We can no longer have the attitude that we can steamroller such teams. Ten Hag has got to sort this team out because there is no cohesion. An on form Maguire will be a bonus. We need Eriksen to give some creative nous to us. Bruno and Rashford need to recover their mojos as they are bang off it.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We're going to win the Champions League

Ace Krampus

That disrespects Copenhagen. We can no longer have the attitude that we can steamroller such teams. Ten Hag has got to sort this team out because there is no cohesion. An on form Maguire will be a bonus. We need Eriksen to give some creative nous to us. Bruno and Rashford need to recover their mojos as they are bang off it.
Yeah man, at the end of the day they're a league-winning club who smelled blood in the water and had us on our heels for most of the game

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We're shit. Happy for Maguire and Onana though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Right result, but we seriously need to be finishing some of these chances.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Copenhagen, Bayern only scraped past them as well. Take the points and move forward, all we can do.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Happy for Maguire and Onana.

But this is our Atalanta and Villarreal from 2 years ago.

Papering over the cracks, city will hammer us on Sunday.

Zed is not dead

To add a bit of perspective to our performance of tonight :
Bayern had a shite game against Galatasaray, Madrid struggled against Braga, Arsenal struggled against Seville, Inter wasn’t that comfortable against Salzburg, Napoli also had a hard time against Union Berlin.

sixdwarf

Right result, but we seriously need to be finishing some of these chances.

Think people are being a bit harsh on Copenhagen, Bayern only scraped past them as well. Take the points and move forward, all we can do.
Our midfield still cannot control games against supposed lesser players. Because we just don't have football nous. Eriksen was on the bench for too long especially when Bruno is bang off it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
To add a bit of perspective to our performance of tonight :
Bayern had a shite game against Galatasaray, Madrid struggled against Braga, Arsenal struggled against Seville, Inter wasn’t that comfortable against Salzburg, Napoli also had a hard time against Union Berlin.
This perspective would be worth considering if we hadn't been dreadful in the majority of our games this season, to be fair.

AndySmith1990

Yes! Go us! We struggled our way to narrowly beat a team who collectively earn as much as Sancho. Europe's elite teams will be terrified

sixdwarf

Yeah man, at the end of the day they're a league-winning club who smelled blood in the water and had us on our heels for most of the game
Bayern struggled against them and they should have beaten Galatasaray in Turkey.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Our midfield still cannot control games against supposed lesser players. Because we just don't have football nous. Eriksen was on the bench for too long especially when Bruno is bang off it.
I think our midfield is definitely, not in the right place, but we created enough tonight from there, we just didn't finish the game off.

sixdwarf

We don't have enough in our squad to rest our star players Bruno and Rashford who are bang bang off it. That is problematic.

didz

I just don't think i've ever seen that happen where a ref blows the whistle 15 seconds before the half is even officially over? Some sort of technical error?

Didn't look much of a penalty either but i haven't seen many replays of the incident so I could be wrong.
A human error. Ref started the game, but there were Copenhagen players in our half, so he ordered kick off be taken again. Clearly he didn't reset his watch, tacking on about 15 seconds.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
So happy for onana and Maguire. But...this is papering over the cracks isn't it :(

JediSith

Fantastic way to win. Onana has been picking up recently and this is exactly what he needed. Hopefully the start of his legacy as our number 1.

Maguire happy for him. But not a reversal still not good enough.

Overall crap team performance.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What happened with the penalty?? I turned everything off soon as the penalty was called and couldn't hack the fallout of another non-victory. Just brought myself to put on FlashScore a minute ago and saw it was still 1-0 to United??
Generally, when a team gets a penalty but the score doesn't change, it's an indication that the penalty was missed or saved.

icehole

About a decade ago a ref closed out a game of ours about half a minute before stoppage time was done. I can't say for sure but I think the ABUs were pissed.

SonOfFergie

We were crap again.
Copenhagen not bad team.
Rashford and Garnacho 1:1 vs keeper. (sigh) Years back players played on corn fields and had better close control than players that are now playing on pitch perfect surfaces. And modern players look at themselves as more technical than past players.
Bruno again poor.
When all is said and done we have a mental block. After we scored and atmosphere in stadium improved we played with a bit more swagger for a few minutes I think.
And when really all is said and done the refereeing organization should suspend all match officials that agreed today to award a penalty at the end. What in the flying f was that? Player didn't have the ball, ball was moving away from the goal, dangerous play? Give me a effing break. Never a penalty in a million years. Only good it made hopefully it improved confidence of Onana.

sdb4884

Win or not we are an embarrassment. When two of our worst players Maguire & Onana are standouts it says a lot. Is there a clause in the Amrabat loan where we don't have to make the move permanent?

MrBest

We don't have enough in our squad to rest our star players Bruno and Rashford who are bang bang off it. That is problematic.
Well Mount has played well when not playing with Bruno, even though its been two games. Hannibal has also shown he can play in Brunos position.

Garnacho has offered 100% more than Rashford this season, but also has not hit the heights needed.

My point, we have options, Hag just does not trust anyone but his baseline players which are Bruno and Rashford. I agree both need to be dropped and I would do it for Hannibal and Garnacho.

The Irish Connection

Sometimes in football you just have to forget about critiquing your team and just enjoy the good moments. Delighted for the two lads.

Zed is not dead

This perspective would be worth considering if we hadn't been dreadful in the majority of our games this season, to be fair.
Perhaps, but in Champions League everyone struggled tonight.
What matters is the win, and I’ve seen better teams have worse games than us tonight

goalscholes

4-1-------------------4-1 has to die, killing the teams ability to gain fluency and confidence.

If Ten Hag doesn't see this he will be gone.
This. Huge gaps between defence and attack. No movement. No triangles. No control. Meaning we just pass it sideways.

CE changed the game.

Man of the Match

Andre Onana image Andre Onana 57% of 311 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 279 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win