CL W Champions League Group A

Manchester United 1:0 FC Copenhagen

Post-match discussion

Tue, 24 October 2023

fps

What you lose by playing Eriksen, in terms of legs, is insignificant compared with how much better he makes this United team. He actually understands the game.

Oranges038

Dreadful game and lucky to come away with the win in the end.

Getting pinned back at home by a side from the Danish league, shouldn't happen. Their play looked more fluid and movement off the ball was much better.

Utd players look like they running in treacle, are second guessing themselves and they are so slow to react to space and movements they should make off the ball. Prime example being Dalot not making a run for that Amrabat pass.

Alex the Red

At the game last night and I wonder how other teams seem to have so much energy going forward, compared with us. Especially in the first half when it was like a return to the Butch Wilkins school of pass backwards, or sideways. There just seems no desire to move at any speed into spaces for a pass.

Second half was better and we could have put the game away with better finishing. Thanks to Onanas save I didn’t leave with a frustrated we’ve thrown it away feeling.

Glad Maguire got a goal, though he nearly got punished for losing it first half.

I liked Amrabat when he was running at players trying to get forward.

Job done and the piper was very moving.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The unloved to the rescue!
Yes…
Antony... he has been utterly bad this season as a whole.
No. He had a decent showing last night.
Bruno... He had a pathetic first half, but looked OK in the second half.
Umm
Eriksen... A shame he couldn't score on that set-up by Højlund, but his arrival after halftime changed the way we played for the better.
True
Garnacho... needs to improve his composure in front of goal … Just shoot that sucker (the ball) when you are in front of the goal.
Cowboy movie.
Højlund... You just can see the potential, even if he didn't score.
You can… needs to stop having coffee with Rashers
Maguire… really gotta give it to him for surviving the criticism and the abuse.
Agree, you have to admire his character
McTominay... Can you stop being so clumsy when we have to protect the lead?
Rubbish
Onana... There has been a steady improvement in the last 3 games …
It’s early days with Onana
Rashford... he is becoming a severe liability to the team.
It’s tough to see. Seems to be a mental block of some kind. Shrug.

Zed is not dead

People saying we should beat Copenhagen easily are out of touch with reality.
Every team struggles to get wins in the Champions League. Yesterday alone all the « big teams » had a hard time getting a win and were mostly dominated by their opponent.
Does it change the fact we’re a level below said « big teams »? No. But there are no easy wins in the CL.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
At the game last night and I wonder how other teams seem to have so much energy going forward, compared with us. Especially in the first half when it was like a return to the Butch Wilkins school of pass backwards, or sideways. There just seems no desire to move at any speed into spaces for a pass.

Second half was better and we could have put the game away with better finishing. Thanks to Onanas save I didn’t leave with a frustrated we’ve thrown it away feeling.

Glad Maguire got a goal, though he nearly got punished for losing it first half.

I liked Amrabat when he was running at players trying to get forward.

Job done and the piper was very moving.
Tbf butch's crab style actually had a purpose. The 1st half's performance is either due to the players unable to figure out how to break down the low block or they just couldn't be fagged which is much more worrying

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Once again far from convincing and I worry we could concede every time an opponent breaks on us as we give the ball away to too easily That said, a win is a win and besides an awful error early on, Maguire did well (he will however get taken to the cleaners on Sunday against a better side) and Varane seems to be back to his clam self.

What a difference Eriksen and Garnacho made. I'm afraid Rashford and Bruno are just so out of form they shouldn't be staring - I never had a doubt Rashfrod wouldn't score on that breakaway (did think Garnacho would so that was disappointing).

Dreadful refereeing decision at the end. I know CL rules are different to PL on high foot but it wasn't high and the guy ducked into it and still there wasn't any contact. I was yelling at Onana not to go early because I felt it might not be the cleanest strike. Very pleased for the lad but was surprised the cnuts at VAR didn't want it retaken!

I know lots of people here dislike McT but I thought he did quite well, considering other midfielders went AWOL and there were promising moments from Antony -it is good to see him and Garnacho tracking back unlike some I could mention. Lindelof also did well when he came on.

If we could pass to Hojilund it would help - he is about the only one who isn't static when he's not on the ball... watch City at the weekend and spot the difference. Not sure why ETH didn't give Hannibal some game time...

always_hoping

A match I won't forget for a while, left my home at 10am and when arriving at the airport I discovered my flight was delayed by 3 hours and didn't get off the plane in Manchester Airport until 7:30pm, legged to a taxi sharing with a group of other United fans and took my seat in the stand at 8:07.

Delighted with the win in the end, improvement 2nd half when in truth the 1st half was such a low quality affair. hopefully that Onana penalty save will be the moment to set him on the right track in a United jersey, I had forgot what it was like to have a keeper to make a match winning penalty save. Fair play to Maguire also has stepped up in recent weeks and won't be losing his starting spot if he continues to play like that.

It was the first Old Trafford match to attend since February against Barcelona. The regression was a real eye opener, majority of the players low on confidence some others not even looking fit. At the moment winning matches by grinding out results is the only option.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
That's not how team sports work.
They were organized and I'll give them credit for it, but we as supporters need to be demanding with our level. This is not even the best Copenhagen squad I remember: besides their keeper and a few players who are actually good overall, they are far from the team they had 10 years ago.

Probably explained myself badly. Not saying they would struggle in terms of relegation in Championship, but they would not be in the top 4/6 favourites to go up.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
You gen think they'd struggle in the championship?

I do think there are positives, yes. We've not had a proper LB for 5 games, but one just got 60-odd minutes, which might just give us a bit more of a balanced defensive baseline to build on going forwards. Confidence boost for a couple of obvious players, which will rub off with others. We're bereft of Confidence but are grinding it out.

Look, I've supported this team for 40-odd years, I don't feel entitlement because we used to win things. I can manage my own expectations and see the green shoots of improvement for what they are - small positives to draw on. If you just want to focus on the negatives then fair play, that's up to you.
Probably explained myself badly. Not saying they would struggle in terms of relegation in Championship, but they would not be in the top 4/6 favourites to go up, would struggle to get a playoff spot for sure.

I don't feel entitlement too, but all I saw was that we were just marginally better (the draw would not be unfair IMO), and comparing both squads and having in mind the actual budgets of Premier League teams, we really should be doing better even if we are not properly functioning as a team. This Copenhagen team used to have a couple of potential wonderkids every season and other, but they seem to be struggling by finding or fiting the youth talent nowadays.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
No I don’t think that’s accurate. They could stay up in the Prem.
They probably could if they had the budget of an EPL team. Their scouting is actually good in finding or taking chances on players. But their current squad has been loosing their most talented players in the last seasons and are having trouble to fit new ones.

Xaviboy

What you lose by playing Eriksen, in terms of legs, is insignificant compared with how much better he makes this United team. He actually understands the game.
Well said and 100% agree. I think we need him to start games. That's the last 3 games he has come on and changed game with his passing and control in midfield. He makes us tick. Ten Hag keeps saying same thing after games we needed to bring him on as we are missing football brain in there but still seems to go and pick a frantic midfield selection every game to start offf with.

Pity we don't have another Eriksen type in the squad.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Its easy to get carried away by the dramatic stuff, but the reality is we were awful all game against very weak opposition.

Play like that against city and they will score 7 or 8 against us.

The worrying thing for me is that this has become the normal level of performance. I was expecting us to be bad, to not have any real shape or strategy, to have a massive disconnect between the forwards and defenders and to basically abandon any attempt to control the central areas.

And that is exactly what happened.
I thought I was alone in this kind of post-match conclusion. I actually think if we play reactively, City will struggle, they haven't been an example this season too in terms of defending the depth, which used to be their strongest point.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Big result in the end the way the game went. Just need to keep grinding them out.

Hopefully its a massive boost to Maguire and Onana.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
What's the point of comments like this? Do you expect it to be sunshine and rainbows every day?
Sunshine and rainbows on redcafe? Are you mad? The place has devolved into a shitshow of the same negative shite with everyone parroting the same bollox, every match thread.

Regardless of how poor we've been this season, mix it up a little ffs. We're all going to die one day. Find some joy outta that second half.

And this isnt 2008 anymore. Teams like Copenhagen have evolved to the point that on their day, they can give a decent go against any team in the champions league.

RoyH1

Our attack is poor again. We need to find a way to score more goals

Jaffa Cakes II

Supports
Scunthorpe United
I thought it was grim. I've seen Scunny play better - albeit so far NOT in the Champions League. Hehe.

Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? We're supposed to get excited? uplifted? inspired even? No?

This was a 5 star bore fest. When Eriksen came on it was like an older bloke desperately trying to revive a corpse on his own.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Old fecks like us have pretty much have been spoilt during that period. We always had big name players aka stars. But somehow never seem to be consistent enough to win.

The other thing that has hit me hard is the passing of Sir Bobby. He was my favourite united player/personality. He to me personified my United. Brilliant and yet humble.

Games matter less as a result.
That is a very apt description of Sir Bobby Charlton and his passing is the passing of an era for the club and its loyal fans.

The club owes it to his legacy to do something about the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand.
The last time I went to OT, it just looked out of place and unloved dwarfed by the remaining structure. That was just the feeling I had.
And now especially, it needs to be more like the stature of Sir Bobby. Yes I know about the problems with the railway line.
But if Sir Bobby is to mean anything to the club going forward, his stand ought to reflect his contribution to the football club. He gave everything to this club of ours and deserves to be honoured properly.
Just my view.

Edit.
This is a chance for the owners to show that they really care for the club that has given them a fantastic financial dividend.

And Mods. I realise this ought to be in the Bobby Charlton thread so please feel free to move it.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought it was grim. I've seen Scunny play better - albeit so far NOT in the Champions League. Hehe.

Isn't football supposed to be entertaining? We're supposed to get excited? uplifted? inspired even? No?

This was a 5 star bore fest. When Eriksen came on it was like an older bloke desperately trying to revive a corpse on his own.
Eriksen has good experience in that regard to be fair.

edgecutter

People saying we should beat Copenhagen easily are out of touch with reality.
Every team struggles to get wins in the Champions League. Yesterday alone all the « big teams » had a hard time getting a win and were mostly dominated by their opponent.
Does it change the fact we’re a level below said « big teams »? No. But there are no easy wins in the CL.
They have an annual wage bill of 12 million a year and we have at least 6 first teasers earning that alone. It is shocking

IRN-BRUno

That first half was absolutely brutal, thankfully Eriksen made a difference when he came on. Really need to start taking more of these chances, the game should have been comfortably done by the end and we nearly paid the price.

Great way to win though!

Redfrog

Apart from when we lost to Copenhagen while Fergie was our manager.
You will find every bad record on a particular game with Fergie. He was there for 26 years. But he won 13 Premier League and 2 champions league top.
The thing with Fergie is yes, we had some very bad game but we were never bad for a long period. So it’s a clueless comparison.
And probably Fergie put a B team the day he played Copenhagen.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
We are so shit, its hard to know what will come next.
We won but well still be in europa and I think this secures it.

Redfrog

Bayern struggled against them and they should have beaten Galatasaray in Turkey.
Problem is we are hopeless every game we play.

So it wasn’t one off, was it ?

I am tired of excuses.

We can get pasted on the weekend against City and it will be : « oh, they are the best team ever, doesn’t matter »

Jeffthered

Well said and 100% agree. I think we need him to start games. That's the last 3 games he has come on and changed game with his passing and control in midfield. He makes us tick. Ten Hag keeps saying same thing after games we needed to bring him on as we are missing football brain in there but still seems to go and pick a frantic midfield selection every game to start offf with.

Pity we don't have another Eriksen type in the squad.
Well that's ETH all over isn't it. Eriksen should play in the No 10 position, off the front three. He is our best player, mature and classy when he isn't tasked with winning the ball back etc... Eriksen should have no responsibility for closing down, pressing etc. If many of us can see that, why can't ETH? Because unfortunately for ETH, it means Bruno cannot play there, so a decision has to be made. And ETH does not have the guts to make such a call. Pep benches KDB in an instant when he isn't happy. But look at ETH and Bruno, Rashford.

He can take that back to Ajax.

Redfrog

Must be nice to be a Manchester United player. You are paid like at Real Madrid but you don’t have any pressure to perform.

Jaffa Cakes II

Supports
Scunthorpe United
How very last century.
Haha. You may well be right. My love affair with United dates from the Charlton, Law, Best era. In fact, the first time I saw them was away to Wolves in the early sixties in a cup tie. I'd never seen anything like it. So exciting, so beautiful, so flippin' ace!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Probably explained myself badly. Not saying they would struggle in terms of relegation in Championship, but they would not be in the top 4/6 favourites to go up, would struggle to get a playoff spot for sure.

I don't feel entitlement too, but all I saw was that we were just marginally better (the draw would not be unfair IMO), and comparing both squads and having in mind the actual budgets of Premier League teams, we really should be doing better even if we are not properly functioning as a team. This Copenhagen team used to have a couple of potential wonderkids every season and other, but they seem to be struggling by finding or fiting the youth talent nowadays.
The way United are playing at the moment they would struggle in the Superliga never mind the Championship!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You will find every bad record on a particular game with Fergie. He was there for 26 years. But he won 13 Premier League and 2 champions league top.
The thing with Fergie is yes, we had some very bad game but we were never bad for a long period. So it’s a clueless comparison.
And probably Fergie put a B team the day he played Copenhagen.
It was a relatively strong team:

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Vidic (Ferdinand 46), Silvestre, Heinze (Evra 80), Fletcher (Scholes 71), Carrick, O'Shea, Ronaldo, Rooney, Solskjaer.

Thing is, we were quite comfortable in our group at the time, 9 points from 3 games, and made it out of that group. That loss complicated things as we went on to lose 1-0 to Celtic as well, and needed a point from Benfica on the final day which looked in danger after we went 1-0 down to them, but that Copenhagen loss was just a game in which we showed complacency and paid for it. Nothing like yesterday. Plus we actually beat them 3-0 at home before that result.

evil_geko

Problem is we are hopeless every game we play.

So it wasn’t one off, was it ?

I am tired of excuses.

We can get pasted on the weekend against City and it will be : « oh, they are the best team ever, doesn’t matter »
They are not excuses, they are just answers to people saying "We should have stuffed them easily, they are terrible etc". Reality is something else. Even Braga was outplaying Real Madrid ffs.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Not pretty, but when the team is low in confidence and form then it’s not a huge surprise.

Now to keep the “streak” and momentum going against City on the weekend, 4/4 please!

justsomebloke

We are shit atm, but its certainly never dull being a United fan :p

Made up for those two, hopefully they can put the dark days behind them now
I'm seriously thinking of starting to embrace that, rather than measure everything against the expectation of building a serial contender.

Much as I loathe Jonathan Wilson's writing on United, he made a point worth thinking about the other day. This has actually been United's history - three distinct periods of dominance, separated by long stretches of mediocrity. But we have never been a boring club. I became a United fan in the late 70s, I must have found something to like there in circumstances that are pretty similar to now.

Man of the Match

Andre Onana image Andre Onana 57% of 311 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 279 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Copenhagen win
  • Draw