EL W Europa League Group A

FC Zorya Luhansk 0:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 08 December 2016

notcool

Supports
a
Now it's just PL till January. We really need to take advantage of this.

Acole9

Outstanding
Glad we've made it through the group stage. I know there's possibly still nine matches to play to get to the final but I do feel we can't afford to assume that we will get in the top four at the end of the season.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rooney - It is never a good sign when you have to debate whether a player would perform any differently if they were drunk.

Pogba - Needs to have a clause in his contract where every time he tries to shoot from 45 yards or more, he dies.

Owen Hargreaves - "Blind is the only player wearing short sleeves which makes him either brave or stupid"
Other commentator - "We'll find out which in about 85 minutes"
I didn't understand this bit of commentary...was the game determined by whether Blind's sleeve length was brave or stupid? Was there an announcement about it at the final whistle?

Galactico

Thoughts on this match:-

- almost the entire first half was like an LVG performance, all possession, no substance
- Mkhi was making runs and getting into good positions, trying to be creative but the rest of the team are not on the same page as him yet
- great goal by Mkhi, he took matters into his own hands which changed the game
- Rooney was largely awful, every attack broke down when the ball got to his feet and he lacked the pace / control to do anything when he was put clean through other than watch the ball run out of play
- Ibra needs to improve his consistency and sometimes be more instinctive -he doesn't have anywhere near the same sort of time to pick his shot in the premier league
- It's a shame we will be without Bailly at ACON

Having said all that, the pitch was dreadful today so some of the negatives can be forgiven.

MrBest

Job done, nothing too exciting.

Rooney back to square one of being average. nothing new learnt about Fellaini's "talent". absolute waste of a position on the bench. would've loved to see bastian there.

Looked shaky at the back for moments. Glad to see Bailey back, hope he starts with Jones. Pogba had a decent match, the least I expect against a average team like Zoya (let's not beat around the bush with this nice nice business)

Finally MKH should of been starting months ago. great player, great ability. I've been saying for months, he will transform our team, not pogba! he's what u call a game chnager.

MartialsBeard

We played poorly and looked disjointed in everything we tried. Think we have major issues and relegation is a real possibility. I want Jose sacked and Ibra sold. I dont know why we signed Bailly as he launches himself into everything with no regard for anything nd basically this will end up with us losing the Paint Trophy. JOSE OUT PEP IN

;)

Mitser

Dull game to watch but quite a few positives:
Romero played very well, again.
Bailly is back and still looks majestic.
Debut goal for Miki, and was a quality solo effort.
Game time for TFM.
Another goal for Zlatan.
Clean sheet.

Of course there were negatives, but perhaps the biggest one is having to fly back to Manchester and play a fresh Spurs team in a couple of days with most of tonight's starting 11 probably lining up again.
We definitely looked leggy in last 30 against everton, Spurs will pose a much bigger threat.

OldTrevil

I just watched the replay. Job well done especially given that pitch, I was worried every time a player slipped or landed from a challenge. Mkhi getting his first goal was awesome, and a beauty at that, my MOTM. Bailly returning and looking like he never left was great to see. Pogba and Herrera controlled the game well, with Pogba getting a much deserved assist, it must be very frustrating creating chance after chance and watching them being squandered. Rojo continues to play well at CB :eek:. TFM with a good cameo playing on the wing was nice too. Overall everyone should be satisfied with that and the team must be raring to go and show up against Spurs. Surely the turn in the league is coming, hopefully Fergie sends a mass email to the team reminding them, "Lads, it's Tottenham!" :)

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Owen Hargreaves - "Blind is the only player wearing short sleeves which makes him either brave or stupid"
I didn't understand this bit of commentary...was the game determined by whether Blind's sleeve length was brave or stupid? Was there an announcement about it at the final whistle?
Nothing to understand there, they were pointing out how cold it is in Odessa, and Blind being ony one in short sleeves, might cost him a flu or something. And they were trying to be funny as well, but failed.

Pogba - Needs to have a clause in his contract where every time he tries to shoot from 45 yards or more, he dies.
oy!!! Easy now. Maybe a clause can be that he has to clean streets of Manchester with a broom, when shooting from a dressing room.
the rhyme :drool:

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
We played poorly and looked disjointed in everything we tried. Think we have major issues and relegation is a real possibility. I want Jose sacked and Ibra sold. I dont know why we signed Bailly as he launches himself into everything with no regard for anything nd basically this will end up with us losing the Paint Trophy. JOSE OUT MOYES IN

;)
fixed for you:cool:

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
It's like a fecking warzone! Hope our travelling fans all get home safely.

That Ukrainian chanting Liverpool at the end though :lol:
christ knows what is gonna happen in the World Cup out in Russia. There will be fatalities

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
Awful game, great result.

Eric Bailly was immense, so good to have him back.

Pluses and minuses for everyone else, besides maybe Herrera and Mhki.

I hope Pogba's assist reminds him of the value of the quick ball. His tendency to take four touches where two will do is maddening!
Absolutely this. Oh, and the 40 yard shot attempts...simply because he's Pogba, are just as maddening. I love the guy, but he needs to get rid of the ball a lot quicker and take less long shot attempts.

RedDevil@84

Super goal Miki and not bad Zlatan.
Zlatan has 13 goals for the club.. Sanchez has 13 and Costa 11 and somehow they are playing better than Zlatan.

Romero stamped the cracker.
Isn't it dangerous? You never know what kind of cracker it is.

CS@SG

Can't imagine if it was Fellaini who did what Baily kick at the opponent. He would have been cursed to death now. Oh wait, Fellaini is dead by Caftards definition.

RedDevil@84

Can't imagine if it was Fellaini who did what Baily kick at the opponent. He would have been cursed to death now. Oh wait, Fellaini is dead by Caftards definition.
If Bailly makes it a habit, he ll be cursed too. Nothing much to read there.

Jay Pascal

Zlatan scores again but I think we would be better without him slowing down our attacks. Mhki superb as per usual.
I really wish we can stop negativity and stop attacking our own players. We won away under difficult conditions. Let's celebrate for once and give a rest to finding faults with the team.

Reactions: Penna

Yagami

Good post resistant
To be honest, that bit of commentary would seem quite standard for a football match compared to when the other commentator (Fletcher?) started to bring up that a piece of cucumber that had a bite taken out of it landed on his notes repeatedly. Even Owen questioned whether he'd let the issue drop but he wasn't having any of it.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I really wish we can stop negativity and stop attacking our own players. We won away under difficult conditions. Let's celebrate for once and give a rest to finding faults with the team.
So criticism is not allowed? Zlatan indeed did not have a good game

MartialsBeard

Zlatan showed good pace there. Had no idea he could break the line like that and outpace the defense at 36 that was impressive to me.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
Didn't see the game, but was surprised that Ibrahimovic and Pogba played the full 90.
Feyenoord wasn't winning from Fenerbahce, so there could have been some time to give some players a rest.

EyeInTheSky

It's nice to make a scrappy affair into a win. Games like these are never a walk through in this part of Europe especially with the pitch quality and conditions. We have seen elite clubs fall foul in the past.

I just hate the fact of the travel and facing Tottenham. We have seen a pattern of teams returning from European duty and being below par so if we get a result it's a great sign

RedDevil@84

Given the freezing temperatures, the pitch - ball not being passed around that freely thus making the players to give the ball little lifts to pass faster, Zlatan not playing fast enough was hardly my concern

marlowe78

We should have done better against them in the home match but I think yesterday no one could complain. We had our bench players with blankets over their laps and the pitch was horrendous. Thankfully, we caught a moment of fine play by Mkhitaryan for his goal and came out of there with a knockout birth in EL, so we survived, the job was done.

Zorya look to me like a League Two or conference side at best. They keep their numbers behind the ball and show very little, if any, ambition to go forward and when they do have a go, their ball-playing is terrible. So we were again trying to find our way through a congested final third and we created very few chances. The one frustrating thing is that Zorya were still affording space in that area we could've used but too much of the play was passing through Ibra and Rooney, who we already know hinder us in the buildup when played together. I thought both were poor, with Ibra's nice finish in the 2nd half being the only really good moment between the two of them. We could've really used Martial, Rashford, or even Lingard up front to give us more movement.

I want to give a shout for Romero, who made two very nice saves and kept his composure after the firework incident. It may not seem like much but dumb things like that can break a player's focus. Last season I was uneasy whenever Romero was in goal but my attitude towards him has changed, I think he's proving a very capable backup.

On my 10 scale, I would give us a 6. A fairly average performance but it brought the needed result. Crossing fingers for an 'easy' opponent in the round of 32.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To be honest, that bit of commentary would seem quite standard for a football match compared to when the other commentator (Fletcher?) started to bring up that a piece of cucumber that had a bite taken out of it landed on his notes repeatedly. Even Owen questioned whether he'd let the issue drop but he wasn't having any of it.
Yes but it had a bite taken out of it. A bite

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes but it had a bite taken out of it. A bite
I felt like after the match had ended, the Eastenders ending "dun-dun-dundundundun" should've popped with a close-up of said cucumber. A proper whodunnit storyline to entice the world.

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 390 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Zorya win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Zorya 0:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Zorya 0:3 Man Utd